Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Pic request - Boat Stands

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Bremsen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bremsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pic request - Boat Stands
    Posted: August-20-2010 at 3:35pm
I'm hoping to get some design ideas for building some boat stands. I've seen several good ones on the site but they are scattered in there respective build threads. I just don't have hours to scan through all the different threads. Figured it might not be a bad thing to have a thread dedicated to them since just about anyone doing a stringer job will need some.

Thanks!

-Ryan
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2010 at 4:08pm
I took some ribbing for these, but they worked pretty well. The tops pivot and have 2" of vertical adjustment.

1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2010 at 7:34pm
I kept mine on the trailer but supplemented the support with these so that all the pressure was off the springs. Unless all that wood was free these are probably cheaper.

Harbor Freight
"working on these old boats may not be cost effective but as it shows its what it brings into your life that matters" -Roger

1973 Skier
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2010 at 7:44pm
Needed cinder blocks to make height but it worked well.

"working on these old boats may not be cost effective but as it shows its what it brings into your life that matters" -Roger

1973 Skier
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2010 at 8:54pm
Keegan,

The smaller hulls are very thick and strong so you can get away with that. The concern is that on some of the larger hulls like the 2001 you can get an Oil Can Effect if you remove all four stringers at once. I you do them one at a time you have less of a chance of an Oil Can effect. This is why Bufflo gave his V-Hull Barefoot more support. The first generation SN Hulls have a thicker amount of glass put into the mold.

You did a great job on your build. You should be proud.

I am a hobbiest and not a professional. However, I am a pro at Beer drinking.

Donald
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2010 at 9:42pm
That was scrap that I made the stands out of. A pass through a few machines and it's like new(better really). I did have to buy 4 nuts and 8 washers; 3 bucks and change.
1988 BFN-sold

Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2010 at 11:50pm
Originally posted by Donald80SN Donald80SN wrote:

Keegan,

The smaller hulls are very thick and strong so you can get away with that. The concern is that on some of the larger hulls like the 2001 you can get an Oil Can Effect if you remove all four stringers at once. I you do them one at a time you have less of a chance of an Oil Can effect. This is why Bufflo gave his V-Hull Barefoot more support. The first generation SN Hulls have a thicker amount of glass put into the mold.
Donald

Valid point. I did not see what kind of boat he was trying to support, but he was wanting a thread dedicated to boat stands.

Reading back it does sound like I am dissing Buffalo, but I am not. As he said he said he did get some poking fun comments about them already because of the level of craftsmanship being above normal human capabilities.

My jack stand in the front was so janky looking that I did not post the picture of it here but it got me through

1973 Skier
uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2010 at 9:17am
If your working inside this worked for me,scrap Mdf and 3x2.
When you have the hull set right just put some screws though the Mdf into the 3x2 to lock them up.

Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2010 at 10:24am
Roger, It sure doesn't surprise me seeing all that MDF! I like them. Nice work and once again the "OCD" thought went into them!!

Greg,
Way back I believe I did work you over about your stands. However, it was for the craftsmanship that went into them!

Scrap lumber? What, do you have a lumber yard next door and they throw their scrap over in your yard??      

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2010 at 11:27am
See, now I'm covered! Roger's design and implementation are far superior to mine. And Roger, I think we still have some CPES at the clubhouse if you need to take yours outside.

Pete, I should have used 'reclaimed' instead of scrap.
1988 BFN-sold

eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2010 at 11:30am
where do you girls find the time?
"the things you own will start to own you"
Bremsen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bremsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2010 at 10:46am
Wow, thanks for all the replies fellas! You have given me some great ideas.

Buffalo, I remember I was gonna ask if I could borrow yours when the time came, they are awesome.

Roger, I'm going to agree with Pete's comments! I use MDF a lot (building sub boxes) and have scrap so good to know its a material I can use as well....I hadn't considered it.

Eric, I've got more time than $$ when budgeting for this type of repair. Speaking of, I know you've made mention of a ply cradle. Got any pics of it?!

I know there is more, keep them coming!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2010 at 12:11pm
Ryan, if you can make a quality sub box then you have half the battle won already. I'm hoping to make some gel repairs this winter or I'd say come get 'em. If you're working inside, then it may work anyway. I'm in an open garage, so I won't need them when it's cold out.
1988 BFN-sold

YooperSully View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YooperSully Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2010 at 11:08pm
Originally posted by BuffaloBFN BuffaloBFN wrote:

I took some ribbing for these, but they worked pretty well. The tops pivot and have 2" of vertical adjustment.

I finally am pretty sure that I have a heated building to store at this winter. One that I'll be able to work on my boat in. I was curious if you could post some more pics of your stands. What's on top? Rubber? They look like different heights but not adjustable. Where are you placing them? Building stands will be one of the first things I do once I'm in, so I'm looking for some more info on them and pictures if anyone else has any to add. Thanks...
87' 2001
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2010 at 11:20pm
Originally posted by YooperSully YooperSully wrote:

[QUOTE=BuffaloBFN] I took some ribbing for these, but they worked pretty well. The tops pivot and have 2" of vertical adjustment.

They look like different heights but not adjustable.

I know the pictures are pretty but you gotta read too.

1973 Skier
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2010 at 11:51pm
Roger, bear in mind that this was my first run on this. I thought at the time that I would borrow stands from a friend at a marina. Then when the time came, our lake was 20' down. So every boat stand around, and every parking lot near a marina was booked! We even saw very expensive boats in and on something less than ideal.

Anyway, here's how I went after it. I put 10 extra pounds in all 4 tires, set the boat where the mains were level, got the measurements, and then lowered the boat on the stands.

There are 2 pair of stands; the shorter 2 are for the back. The tops have a 2" slot for vertical fine tuning and the black wraps are pieces of an old innertube. Much like our 'overseas Roger', I set the stands once in place. On mine, those are old head bolts and some grade 8 hardware to lock 'em into place. Overkill or not, I folded identical hand towels to cusion on top.
1988 BFN-sold

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YooperSully Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2010 at 1:00am
Originally posted by Keeganino Keeganino wrote:

Originally posted by YooperSully YooperSully wrote:

[QUOTE=BuffaloBFN] I took some ribbing for these, but they worked pretty well. The tops pivot and have 2" of vertical adjustment.

They look like different heights but not adjustable.

I know the pictures are pretty but you gotta read too.

No time for your crap, sorry
87' 2001
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2010 at 4:56am
Pointing out the previously stated facts that you quoted is not crap. Sorry if you took offense, but the writing is on the wall.

Hang around long enough and you will learn that we all have the best intentions but threads can come across as harsh sometimes.

1973 Skier

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YooperSully Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2010 at 11:31am
"They look like different heights but not adjustable."

This is an observation. Get it?.... Stay with me.... now.

"I was curious if you could post some more pics of your stands?"

I can't tell how these adjust 2 but maybe keegan you can show me the quote where it tells me this.

A picture is worth a thousand words. But if your going to add nonsense to this topic then I'd say a picture is worth 10,000 words.

I'm mechanically inclined and have been in the building trades since 1992. But still can't see where the two inches of travel come in unless it's in the pivot itself. Hence the question for more pictures.

In my post I ask 4 questions. Maybe you can point out where I should have read to get the answers in Greg's original post.

I also believe your intentions are none other than selfish. As you say "the writing is on the wall"

With anything it boils down to interpretation and I'd say your lost in translation.

Better yet Keegs, why don't you tell me how they travel 2" seems like you have all the answers.
With no comments or questions pointed at you to begin with I'd have to say your poking your nose in where your 2 cents is not needed.

Keegan.. Some words of wisdom for you.

It's better to keep your mouth shut and let others think your a fool then to open your mouth and prove that your one.

HOLD ON!!!! on proof reading my post I notice your the guy that supports his boat with cement blocks laying on their side. LMAO keep up the shady practices and you'll be doing a lot of boat repair. Maybe even a little human body repair. For your information a block on it's side has no structural support. I get a kick out of the jack stands sitting above the open web. Like I said before, a picture is worth a 1000 words and your picture paints you an amateur.
87' 2001
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2010 at 12:30pm
Roger,
Before you start cutting down Keegan with your "nonsense" and "keep your mouth shut" comments, add me to your list. I too immediately thought the same regarding you not looking closely at the stands. This surprised me since I know you're in the building trades but now have a question! Due to this as well as other comments you've made, I now wonder if you are trained and schooled in the field or just a scab hacker? The adjustment in the stands is obvious.

Regarding the CMU on it's side, tell me what the PSI loading is as well as the side load rating of the block is. It's in every CMU manufacturers spec sheet! Have you ever see one or even read one?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YooperSully Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2010 at 12:38pm
Don't worry I had you in mind the whole time I was writing this
87' 2001
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2010 at 2:38pm
Originally posted by BuffaloBFN BuffaloBFN wrote:

/boatstand012.jpg[/IMG]

Ok. Try to stop seeing red for a minute take a deep breath and read the quote above. The answer to your question was right there... The whole time!

Good luck on your rebuild. My advice is to lighten up and not be such a "shut yer mouth" kinda guy if you want help from the CCF community. If you keep at this pace you are going to have a heart attack before you ever even get started. You can slam me and call me a fool or whatever makes you feel better about yourself but I already rebuilt my boat.

1973 Skier
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2010 at 3:50pm
I believe that Greg place two inch slots the heads. The heads can swivel around the retaining bolt, or slide up or down two inches. Locks them in place by cranking down on the retaining bolt.

I built mine with a six inch or so adjustments. Heads mounted to a two by four which slides up and down in the stand structure. Heads swivels around the two by four. My home PC is at repair right now, so I can find any photos at the moment.

BKH
Livin' the Dream

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2010 at 4:26pm
Originally posted by bkhallpass bkhallpass wrote:

I believe that Greg place two inch slots the heads. The heads can swivel around the retaining bolt, or slide up or down two inches. Locks them in place by cranking down on the retaining bolt.

Exactly!
1988 BFN-sold

gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2010 at 6:51pm
I just left mine on the trailer. Blocked the trailer up level under the axle.
Jacked up the back of the boat up, put a 2x4 block on each rail under the rear. Then jacked up the front cut a notch in a block to set the bow eye in with a 4x4 across the trailer frame. Then cut wedges and shimmed down the sides between the rails leveling the boat side to side fore and aft.
tuna_tugger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tuna_tugger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2010 at 11:56pm
Originally posted by gun-driver gun-driver wrote:

Jacked up the back of the boat up, put a 2x4 block on each rail under the rear. Then jacked up the front cut a notch in a block to set the bow eye in with a 4x4 across the trailer frame. Then cut wedges and shimmed down the sides between the rails leveling the boat side to side fore and aft.
I am getting to restring my fish and will be doing it in gravel in the yard with a tent over it. I was thinking I could just level the boat with jack stands under the trailer frame. I will make 2'x2'x6" cement pats to put under the jack stands. I was considering taking the wheels off the trailer to be able to lower a bit because the gunnels are about 6" of the ground because of the deep V. Does your trailer have full buncks or rollers? Do you have any pictures of your set up? Thanks
Don Liberman
tuna_tugger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tuna_tugger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2010 at 11:57pm
Originally posted by gun-driver gun-driver wrote:

Don Liberman
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic