Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

23' Fish Nautique Restoration Project

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 17>
Author
jzarski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jzarski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 23' Fish Nautique Restoration Project
    Posted: August-19-2010 at 12:12pm
Well I am a first time poster. My Name is John. It is a pleasure to meet all of you. I just started a restoration of a 1981 23' Fish Nautique. I know nothing about the boat so I am learning as I go and wanted to share all my findings with everyone here. So far I have the floor up and I am pulling all the foam put. you can follow the progress also on my blog
John 23 Fish Nautique Resto

I want to put underfloor saddle gas tanks in the boat but as I was pulling out the foam I noticed that Correct craft put stringers from bow to stern where I wanted to put it. What is your advice on tank location. Am I better putting it forward or more towards the stern. I don't care if I lose the infloor live well as I can put an above deck one in. Well I hope to get some advice from all you pros who know the boat. Thanks again for all the info I have already gained from this site.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2010 at 12:19pm
I think many people would appreciate it if you were to document your rebuild here rather than follow a random link... I dont think anyone has done a detailed writeup on a Fish rebuild- I think it would be great to see.

As a starting point, I would poke around and look at the threads that document the Barefoot Nautique rebuilds. Those were slightly smaller (19') boats, but are v-hulls like your Fish- so there are definitely some similarities in how they were constructed. Lots of info here- hope you stick around.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2010 at 12:29pm
John,
Yes, welcome to CCfan. I agree with Tim it would be great if you could document the rebuild here.

What are your thoughts with the tanks? More capacity? I sure wouldn't mess with the primary stringers but maybe the secondaries? Get us some pictures and we'll all take a look. You also need to consider the weight and what it would do to the handling/plaining of the hull. The only place I would consider saddle tanks would be on each side of the engine making the weight neutral with the hull.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
jzarski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jzarski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2010 at 1:05pm
I will document the rebuild here and on my blog. I have no problem with that. As far as tanks go.. I was thinking two 50 or 60 gallon saddles on each side of the bilge. The one issue is I guess you call them secondary stringers are in the way. I think once I get all the foam out I will know a little more. I will take the photos on my blog and post them here.

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2010 at 1:14pm
The v-hulls didnt have much of a secondary stringer really (assuming the Fish was the same as the BFN). Structural supports that run the length of the boat are stringers, supports that run perpendicular would be called ribs (short) or bulkheads (full width). (At least thats the terminology that I used.) The purpose of the secondary stringers in the v-hulls was really to shape the bilge. They were very thin (1/4-3/8") so I wouldnt really consider them to be structural. The ribs that go between the secondaries and the walls are pretty important though- they keep the v-hull in a vee shape. I didnt refoam and chose to add a lot more of them (spaced roughly at 1'). Even the factory spacing (~30" on the BFN) wouldnt leave a lot of room below the floor from the engine back, though.

My buddy's 20' Shamrock has a removable well beneath the removable panel (behind the motor). That might be something to consider. Alternatively, maybe something in the center of the boat, forward of the engine compartment would work.
jzarski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jzarski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2010 at 2:32pm
I know there is the main stringer that the motor mounts too. There is also another one that is on both sides of the bildge area or motor area what ever you want to call it. If you look at the photos with the foam all over the place you can kinda see that stringer I am talking about. Once I get the rest of the foam out I think I will have a better idea.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2010 at 3:25pm
John,
Well, you do have some work ahead of you! Keep digging!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2010 at 1:43am
In that 3rd picture you posted,on a 20 foot Shamrock the tanks are mounted under the floor between the main stringer and the side of the boat on both sides holding 25 gallons each.My Dad had to replace them on his '77 he has now and had them made up in Florida. They sprung leaks due to the fact they were foamed in and it spent it's early life not taken care of in salt water. Where does Correct Craft put them in?
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
jzarski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jzarski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2010 at 10:52am
The tank was mounted in the rear of the boat, above the floor. I am not a fan of that so that is why I am trying to find a way to mount two saddle tanks like you are decribing in the Shamrock. I found a really cool produce called Prisma Composite. The company is located in my area so I am meeting with them today at 9am EST. They make composite stringers, hull stiffeners, bulk heads and a ton of other stuff. They just started a line of products designed to be installed on already build vessels. If I can have them make me a 1 inch hull stiffener I will remove the secondary stringer and replace it with that. That will give me the room to put the saddle tank in.. I will keep you all informed when I get back from the meeting.
Brktracer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brktracer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2010 at 5:46pm
How's your shoulder?
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2010 at 5:53pm
Cool boat! I look forward to seeing the progress.
"working on these old boats may not be cost effective but as it shows its what it brings into your life that matters" -Roger

1973 Skier
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2010 at 5:55pm
What kind of motor drives this beast?
"working on these old boats may not be cost effective but as it shows its what it brings into your life that matters" -Roger

1973 Skier
jzarski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jzarski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2010 at 6:40pm
Originally posted by Brktracer Brktracer wrote:

How's your shoulder?

Shoulder is better, Thanks for asking. I went to the Prisma Factory today and man is that a cool place. All composite stuff. I was amazed how cheap this stuff is. I will take some Pics of the samples they gave me and post them. I meet with the owner Scott and he explained all the ways I can redesign the boat. I think I may end up trashing the origanal deck and redesign my own with lots of storage.

Keeganino I think I am staying stock with the motor. It came with a 351 Windsor. The only mod I might do to the motor is change it to a fresh water cooled. I picked up a new used 351 with raw water so it really depends on the budget if I add the fresh water system.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2010 at 6:59pm
Save your money on the fresh water cooling. My Dads Shamrock went 20 years on salt water before he sold it and never had trouble block wise. He was on his 3rd set of exhaust manifolds,which even with fresh water cooling,are cooled by what ever water your in.He did flush it out each and every time he used it and thats why he sold it. In his 80's, it was too much work to maintain it in the way he liked to.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
WakeSlayer View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2010 at 11:18am
Man, I hate digging foam.....

Cool project, looking forward to following this.

Mike N

1968 Mustang

jzarski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jzarski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2010 at 7:38pm
Remaining Floor is up..
With the help of my buddy Shawn I was able to cut and pull up the front part of the deck. I got the fish box and the live well pulled out without damaging either one of them. Not sure if I will reuse either one of them or just use them as molds to make new ones. Either way they are in good shape.

Now to the foam..... Man I can't believe how much foam Correct Craft put in this boat. There is so much wasted space. So far I have pull 6 60gal trash bags full of foam. Wish I weighted it all as I took it out. Trash went out today so they took the first 6 bags. I still have the whole front to empty and the left (port) side left.

jzarski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jzarski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2010 at 11:29am
Here is the new floor paln I am thinking of going with. What is everyones take on putting the gas tank forward of the motor area. There is a big emply space there that will allow me about 120gals of fuel. I think the saddle tanks are a no go as they would have to be the lengh of the boat in order to get the capicty I wanted.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2010 at 11:47am
Since the fuel tank was originally aft under the aft deck, I feel as previously mentioned you will be throwing the bow to aft plaining balance off with that tank. It's going to ride bow heavy and plow. Especially with the water tank all the way forward!!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
jzarski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jzarski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2010 at 11:54am
Yeah I thought that but everyone tells me how bow light the boat was.... Wish I could call someone and get there take on it..
Rglover View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rglover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2010 at 11:54am
I agree with Pete on this. Since you will not have trim you will not be able to compensate for that additional weight in the bow. I am afraid that it would make it a really rough and wet ride offshore.
jzarski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jzarski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2010 at 12:48pm
So what are your suggestions? Would trim tabs help? or is it just better to make saddles? Saddles I think will be way to long for it to be practical
Rglover View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rglover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2010 at 12:51pm
I don't think trim tabs would help. You can trim a bow down with trim tabs but not up generally speaking. I am afraid the tank is going to need to be in the back somewhere similar to where it was.
Fl Inboards View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fl Inboards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2010 at 12:56pm
Have had a lot of experiance with fish Nautiques.
Looked at your battle plan and putting the tank forward will not be a problem provided you have enough motor to push the hull. I would though install the fuel tank length wise between the main stringers rather than on top of the stringers. Have one custom built for the boat at around 40 gal.
We have a fish that is stripped and getting ready to un-cap the deck and pull the liner. I am thinking of replacing my tank and installing saddle tanks on each side of the motor like a Shamrock. Also a BBC 454 along with a 1.23-1 Power plus transmission is going back in.
Hobby Boats can be expensive when the hobbyist is limited on their own skill and expertise.

1993 Shamrock "fat" 20. 2008 Nautique 196 5.0
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2010 at 12:57pm
When you were over at the composite place, did you by chance talk to them about incorporating fuel tanks into the composite lay up? I know many boats used glass tanks before the advent of ethanol but resins have come a long way since then. Internal baffling inside saddle tanks could take the place of secondary stringers as well as port to starboard ribs.

You can always trim tab a bow down but you can't trim tab a bow up with weight forward!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
jzarski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jzarski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2010 at 1:02pm
Originally posted by Fl Inboards Fl Inboards wrote:

Looked at your battle plan and putting the tank forward will not be a problem provided you have enough motor to push the hull. I would though install the fuel tank length wise between the main stringers rather than on top of the stringers. Have one custom built for the boat at around 40 gal.
We have a fish that is stripped and getting ready to un-cap the deck and pull the liner. I am thinking of replacing my tank and installing saddle tanks on each side of the motor like a Shamrock. Also a BBC 454 along with a 1.23-1 Power plus transmission is going back in.

Do you think 40 Gals is enough??? I need at least a 200 mile range and I don't think 40 gals will give me that. Fl inboards I would love to chat with you about the layout I am wating to use. If possible email me your contact info or I will emai you mine. I plan on useing the stock 351 with a 1:1 trans.

As for the glass tank, I never asked them. I will though he might have a suggestion.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fl Inboards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2010 at 1:07pm
You can always trim tab a bow down but you can't trim tab a bow up with weight forward!!
Fish Nautiques are really bow light anyway and a lot of them I have run across have tabs on them. I have a set to put on mine along with Hynautic steering.
Hobby Boats can be expensive when the hobbyist is limited on their own skill and expertise.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2010 at 1:08pm
Originally posted by jzarski jzarski wrote:

Originally posted by Fl Inboards Fl Inboards wrote:

Do you think 40 Gals is enough??? I need at least a 200 mile range and I don't think 40 gals will give me that. Fl inboards I would love to chat with you about the layout I am wating to use. If possible email me your contact info or I will emai you mine. I plan on useing the stock 351 with a 1:1 trans.

As for the glass tank, I never asked them. I will though he might have a suggestion.

John,
Talk to Jodi. He would be a good one to get some first hand info from!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fl Inboards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2010 at 1:09pm
floridainboards at msn dot com

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fl Inboards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2010 at 1:19pm

Old school ideas!! Definatly would go with a aluminum tank or tanks!
cruising speed is around 32-35 mph in that boat utilizing 12-15 gal per hour (est).
40 gal is about what came in them maybe closer to 60??? anyway if that is the type of range you are looking for then you would want closer to 80 gal capacity I think then you also might want to think about saddle tanks. or put one up front and retain the rear.

jzarski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jzarski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2010 at 6:22pm
Ok I reworked the floor plan.. Sat in the boat and measured a few things out. I think that saddle tanks can be done without having them the lenght of the boat. Any input is great.

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 17>
  Share Topic