Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

engine bogging down no power

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
bmiller View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2010 at 5:02pm
Just got the New carb from Holley yesteraday.I plan on putting it on tonight.Will let you guys know what happens.Just for your information,Holley sent me a notice in which you can go on the interent at www.holleytv.com.It gives you a video guide on how to tune your carb.It shows you everything you need to know.When you get to the site just click on "carb tuning" and it has multiple videos on what you need to know when tuning your carb.
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2010 at 9:18pm
Originally posted by Bri892001 Bri892001 wrote:

71RR,

My boat has a hesitation and I'm on the fence between doing a renew kit or getting a whole new carb.

describe your issue?
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-26-2010 at 2:15am
My issue is like a stumble when you try to accelerate quickly. It's mostly off idle, but I've noticed it can happen when quickly accelerating from one speed to a higher speed, even from 1500 rpms or so.

Full throttle is fine, and if you accelerate easy, it's fine. If you punch it though, such as to get a big slalom skier out of the water, it will hesitate, if it's not totally warmed up, it can hesitate pretty badly.

Also, idles and starts up hot and cold fine.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-26-2010 at 8:50am
Brian,
Pull the flame arrestor, look down the throat of the carb (engine not running), advance the throttle linkage and look for a squirt of gas. If none, then it's the accelerator pump in the carb or it's linkage that needs work.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-26-2010 at 10:51am
Thanks Peter,

I've checked for a squirt, and I do get one. But it could be that it's coming in late. I haven't gotten a chance to adjust it or look at that aspect of it carefully.

Aside from adjusting the little spring thing that hits the pump lever, which is still a possibility, are there are other adjustments that can be made? Any other aspect of the carb that could be at fault? Would a faulty power valve do this?
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-26-2010 at 11:59am
Bri892001, You've got a stumble at throttle up and a stumble after 1500. 2 totally different issues. Before messing with the carb ensure that the motor has a fresh tune up, new cap, rotor, plugs, etc.

Don't adjust the accel pump and it's not your power valve. I suspect timing and tune up, just verify that everything tune up wise is good first then post back and we'll look at the carb.
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-26-2010 at 12:33pm
I do have new plugs, wires, cap and rotor (mine is not a points type, it's a prestolite with the electronic ignition). Also, a new fuel filter, the inline type mine doesn't have a water separator.

Doing the above tune up did improve the overall performance a little. The boat got a little more power and a slightly faster top end. It seemed to make the stumble a little less, but didn't make it go away.

The timing is a little suspect. It's advanced to 13 degrees, but bringing it back to the recommended 10 seemed to worsen matters.

Actually, correction, bringing the timing back to 10 degrees worsened matters before I replaced the spark plugs and everything. And, I had a wacky assortment of different plugs in there previously, as mentioned here: Different Plugs Post

Do you think that now that I have the right plugs, bringing the timing down to 10 degrees might improve things?
bmiller View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2010 at 1:08am
Jusy to let you guys know.Took the boat out tonight for a test run and it runs great.Alls well and time to go boating.Thank god Holley steped up to the plate and admitted there mistake.
71redrocket View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 71redrocket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-30-2010 at 11:40pm
As far as doing the carb myself I knew a guy who did it for me. I brought him carb and kit for $70 he rebuilt, glass beaded the inside and painted for a true professional job. So kit and labor I was into it for 120 compared to 500 brand new. I did fuel pump to just to take care of almost all fuel delivery. I would pay to have it done rite all day if you dont know what your doing. Check your fuel water/separater if havent done yet.
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-08-2010 at 1:40am
Hi guys, I found the cause of my hesitation as well and fixed it.

It was the accelerator pump. I was getting a squirt, so I though that the Accelerator pump was fine, but it turned out there was too much play in the linkage. I adjusted the little bolt, spring deal on the pivot to take up the slack now. It works great now! Takes off like a champ, it really made my weekend.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic