NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

ignition coil/electrical problem

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
dborrelli View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dborrelli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ignition coil/electrical problem
    Posted: June-05-2010 at 6:37pm
Got my boat out and cleaned up. Tried to start it but the coil isn't getting enough juice if any at all. I tried to replace it but I had same the problem with the new one. Obviously not the coil. Anyone have a suggestion how to fix this or what I should be looking at for errors before I call a mechanic.

Thanks
dborrelli View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dborrelli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2010 at 6:37pm
78 Ski nautique BTW
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2010 at 11:43pm
Why do you think the coil "isn't getting enough juice"? have you checked the voltage to the coil? If it's not getting power, why did you change the coil? Have you checked for voltage at the ballast resistor? Then at the ignition switch?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
dborrelli View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dborrelli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-07-2010 at 9:43pm
PBrainard, I checked the voltage to the coil and it was either nothing or 12+volts. Its strange though because yesterday I was tinkering around with it and it had about 5 volts... then something happened out of nowhere and it was back to 12v. Needless to say that was frustrating. I think there is an electrical problem somewhere else thats causing this. On top of that I realized that the rotor isnt getting any power at all. I have a mechanic coming by tomorrow. Ill let you know what he says if anyone is interested.
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2010 at 11:16am
replace the ballast resistor, BTW the rotor is just a contact and only transfers power from the coil to a spark tower by means of a spark between the two. So if the coil isn't firing your not going to get spark anywhere, besides there isn't a way to test if power is going to the rotor so explain how you came to this conclusion.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2010 at 12:39pm
Originally posted by 79nautique 79nautique wrote:

besides there isn't a way to test if power is going to the rotor so explain how you came to this conclusion.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
behindpropeller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2010 at 12:51pm
Please tell where to find one of those.....

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2010 at 1:22pm
the rotor is internal so how do you check if it is functioning correctly, you can't,

you can test for voltage going to the cap and you don't need that fancy tester Pete posted, all you have to do is pull the coil wire at the cap and look for spark.

But there is no way to test that voltage is actaully being transfer through the rotor and arcing to the individual spark plug towers. You can test continuity in the cap for the coil tower terminal to rotor button, you can test continuity of the rotor segment to rotor tang, but you cannot test that the rotor tang is actually making contact with the cap button and that the voltage is being transfered from the coil tower to the individual spark towers.    
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2010 at 3:29pm
Tim,
Just do a online search for "spark tester" and lots comes up.

Chris,
Looks like we'll have to pull out the old equipment!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2010 at 3:45pm
I've used the machine on the right before, again though to test the rotor directly you can't, you can see the pattern on the oscillascope and observe the wave pattern on the screen then if you know what you looking at you can determind if its the plug, wire or in the cap.

Now that is a distributor machine on the left correct? are those your toys?

Point being all that was tested was that there wasn't any spark from the coil, weather or not it's the rotors fault is yet to be seen not, but it's rare a rotor doesn't allow the voltage to pass through it, unless the carbon ball in the cap is gone or someone has bent the tang on the rotor.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2010 at 4:41pm
Chris,
The picture is from the guy who build my magneto for the Universal Flexifour. I wish they were mine! Of course I don't know if I'd have enough room for them in the new shop. It's filling up fast!! You never seem to have enough room!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2010 at 4:47pm
need an ALLEN Smart Scope or a Sun four gas exhaust machine?
dborrelli View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dborrelli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2010 at 5:00pm
So the bottom of the rotor isnt supposed to have a charge?   I was just following the path from the coil to the points (during the short time that the coil was working properly).   Can you show me what the ballast resistor is. Is it the ceramic thing on the back of the engine?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2010 at 5:15pm
I believe you have your terminology wrong the rotor is powered through the center tower of the cap and a wire connects the cap and coil.

So did you just replace the points? why do you feel the coil is bad?

check the voltage at the coil's postive terminal and ground testers other lead to the engine block should be around 9 volts with key on in the run position if that is good then the resistor is good too. Next remove the coil wire from the cap and verify you have spark.

the ballast resistor is the ceramic piece mounted on the rear of the engine.
dborrelli View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dborrelli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2010 at 5:34pm
its got to be the ballast resistor, that makes perfect sense as to why I am getting 12v instead of 5 or 6v. Ill try to replace that today.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2010 at 5:39pm
your just guessing at *************** get the multimeter and test the crap.

DID YOU JUST REPLACE PARTS OR DID IT JUST NOT FIRE UP AFTER STORAGE?

FYI YOU SHOULDN'T BE GETTING 12 VOLTS at the coil on a point ignition system.

and let me guess you checked the coil by attaching the leads to both terminals on the coil which is the wrong way to check the coil BTW
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2010 at 5:40pm

Chris Is Back
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2010 at 5:43pm
some of these guys wonder why they have issue with their boat piss poor diagnosis
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2010 at 5:50pm
               Why should I try to retain ?

Type in the Question

Answer shows up on the screen..........

So what if it wrong, it is an answer.........
dborrelli View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dborrelli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2010 at 8:24pm
Piss poor diagnosis? Youre right. I have no idea whats going on which is why Im trying to ask someone who does. But come on man, give me a break. Its not like I have my head buried in a engine every hour of the day. Sheesh.

Anyways, I found the problem. Nothing to do with any of this. I found a loose wire and plugged it to the carb, turned the key and it fired right up.     Im off to the lake.   Thanks for the help
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2010 at 8:41pm
Originally posted by dborrelli dborrelli wrote:

Piss poor diagnosis? Youre right. I have no idea whats going on which is why Im trying to ask someone who does. But come on man, give me a break. Its not like I have my head buried in a engine every hour of the day. Sheesh.

Anyways, I found the problem. Nothing to do with any of this. I found a loose wire and plugged it to the carb, turned the key and it fired right up.     Im off to the lake.   Thanks for the help

Another person to never buy anything from Karen.

dborrelli View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dborrelli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2010 at 8:46pm
:)
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2010 at 8:56pm
Originally posted by behindpropeller behindpropeller wrote:

Originally posted by dborrelli dborrelli wrote:

Another person to never buy anything from Karen.

Tim,
I don't get it?? Billy didn't post anything that I would consider offensive. It was Chris with his normal "Chris-isms"!!

dborrelli,
Glad you found the problem. Now you won't need the mechanic!! I know we would have gotten down to the problem if you had done some more testing for voltage at other points.

What happened to your first name in your profile? I thought it was in there at one time? Add it before I start calling you "no name"!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-09-2010 at 12:30am

You got a problem with the Boat Dr ? , Karen has no dog in this hunt bucko.
Now ya got a bitch , throw it out............
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-09-2010 at 9:53am
the webs we weave
"the things you own will start to own you"
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-09-2010 at 1:02pm
Originally posted by boat dr boat dr wrote:

You got a problem with the Boat Dr ? , Karen has no dog in this hunt bucko.
Now ya got a bitch , throw it out............

I think you are rude to people on this site, therefore I will never buy anything from you.

Tim

boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-09-2010 at 1:09pm

I think you are rude to people on this site, therefore I will never buy anything from you.

Tim[/QUOTE]

Are you going to report me to the internet police...........

You are kidding me , YES.....

Get a life DUDE........

You voted for Obama too,
The Lake View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Lake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-09-2010 at 5:00pm
I had some electrical problems a couple of years ago. One of the reasons why I love having my now 42 year old boat is to learn. I've always wanted to be more mechanically inclined and now I have the chance. Every time I've had an issue that is beyond me, which doesn't take much, I've described it as best I can and smart people have come to my rescue.
Anyway, my intermittent electrical problem ended up being a bad ignition wire, which was finally diagnosed at GL a couple of years ago, with the help of Billy mostly, but with Pete, Steve, and several others standing around my boat.
I've received good advice from 79 (Chris) more than once, and almost no good mechanical advice from Jbear, but he's very encouraging. Billy, Eric, and others have been kind enough to talk me through a few problems on the phone, I feel like they have gone way out of their way.
I respect all these guys and they've been more than patient with me, and I have learned a lot!   
Here's the result for me, great friends made . . . and last Saturday we were out on the water with our mostly grown sons and their friends, skiing, boating, swimming and adding memories to a 42 year old boat.
Chuck
Walk on Water
www.coldwater.me

69 Ski Nautique
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-09-2010 at 6:08pm

Tim[/QUOTE]

But Chuck, ya missed the point. I am RUDE to other people on the site.For this reason he boycotts CCParts,Maybe she is rude too......

Propeller Dude, I got your number now, sorry for being Southern and Slow.

"You want free advice in the glass of your choice".

You my boy, I PITY....
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-09-2010 at 6:09pm
Originally posted by behindpropeller behindpropeller wrote:

Tim

Tim,
I feel you're mistaken and misinterpret Billy. Rude? No! Blunt? Absolutely!! He also has a sense of humor that some don't understand. It may be his location?? We need to get him to use some of those funny faces on the left! Of course that may be impossible just like getting him to do quoting properly!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic