Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - 1979 barefoot supreme? Questions...   *Updated*
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1979 barefoot supreme? Questions... *Updated*

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
Author
Mrusso94 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mrusso94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1979 barefoot supreme? Questions... *Updated*
    Posted: May-19-2010 at 4:51am

I'm considering buying a 79 Barefoot Supreme from a local skier.. I cannot however find much info on this boat.. In fact i find a lot on the Barefoot Nautique, but not much on the Supreme.. Is it the same as the Ski Supreme but with the bigger motor? Does it come with a ford 460?? I know the nautiques came with the 454..
   Anything i should look for... I'l be checking the stringers and floors.. any common problems with this boat aside from typical issues with a 32 year old boat? Also.. where can i get parts for this boat. The boats trailer apparently rolled over its chocks into a dirt pile and bent the rudder and prop.. what are the chances the prop shaft got bent as well? I will probably need to replace the rudder bearing mount flange.. whats the best source for these parts?   Any additional info/pics/experiences is greatly appreciated!
Thanks!
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-19-2010 at 9:22am
my biggest concern would be the rot, then the engine, its a 79, chances are there is rot....look closely
"the things you own will start to own you"
Mrusso94 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mrusso94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-19-2010 at 2:49pm

Yeah I figured, He claims the boat only had 365 hours on it which doesn't make sense to me... Unless it sat for a long time at some point.. Whats the best source for parts on these older boats? I will likely need some rudder hardware and a prop..
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-19-2010 at 3:53pm
You best source for underwater hardware is:

Buck Algonquin

Chances are high that it's what the boat had on it originally.

Yes, check for rot!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Mrusso94 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mrusso94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-19-2010 at 4:08pm
Thanks, any specific areas that i should check that are really prone to rot? I was gonna check all the floors and the stringers at the motor mounts..
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-19-2010 at 4:17pm
Since you haven't purchased the boat yet, it limits you to non invasive checks for rot. Checking to see if engine lags tighten up is good but very limited to a small area. You can go over areas with a small hammer and tap listening for loose glass on the stringer wood. This however is really tough because it's open to interpretation of the sound. Then look for soft stops in the floor and visually check for cracking in the glass on the stringers. On CC's with bad stringers, some will have gel cracking roughly parallel to the floor on the hull sides.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Mrusso94 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mrusso94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-19-2010 at 6:12pm
great thanks for the info
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-19-2010 at 6:50pm
How do you intend to use the boat? It does some things well but certainly not everything.
What's important to you? wakes, big or small? ski, board or tube, blub or cruise? Dry or wet. Speed or economy?

Make sure to take it at speed into some chop. Some tend to rudder stall. Usually the G mold boats but not exclusively. Most the barefoot boats were g-molds i'm told.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
phickman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phickman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-19-2010 at 6:58pm
Do your homework on this one, If I remember correctly on a Supreme Industries boat as well as an old Supra, you have to remove the deck from the hull to do a proper stringer job. This is an added layer of work you should know about before embarking on this one. If you stay on the Correct Craft side you don't have to walk down that path. Although, this Barefoot Supreme will be cool, you won't meet yourself at the lake or river. Post some pics.

Best of luck and welcome to the world of Inboard Ski boats, Paul
Paul Hickman
Mrusso94 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mrusso94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2010 at 3:30am
Originally posted by GottaSki GottaSki wrote:

How do you intend to use the boat? It does some things well but certainly not everything.
What's important to you? wakes, big or small? ski, board or tube, blub or cruise? Dry or wet. Speed or economy?

Make sure to take it at speed into some chop. Some tend to rudder stall. Usually the G mold boats but not exclusively. Most the barefoot boats were g-molds i'm told.

The boat will be used for slalom and bare footing, and sometimes a quick cruise on nice days..
Mrusso94 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mrusso94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2010 at 3:34am
Originally posted by phickman phickman wrote:

Do your homework on this one, If I remember correctly on a Supreme Industries boat as well as an old Supra, you have to remove the deck from the hull to do a proper stringer job. This is an added layer of work you should know about before embarking on this one. If you stay on the Correct Craft side you don't have to walk down that path. Although, this Barefoot Supreme will be cool, you won't meet yourself at the lake or river. Post some pics.

Best of luck and welcome to the world of Inboard Ski boats, Paul

I will look in to that issue.. So far I haven't come up with much, found a few pictures of someone doing stringers and they didn't split the deck.. They weren't very detailed though, hipefully the stringers will just be in good condition. I'm looking at the boat on saturday, I will let you know how it goes. Also, what would some of you pay for this boat assuming little or no rot? It needs some upholstery, possibly a rudder and rudder bearing flange housing.. Also its possible it needs a new prop shaft (prop took a hit, not sure if shaft was damaged) Its only got 365 hours on it, and it has the cruise control..
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2010 at 11:33am
Originally posted by Mrusso94 Mrusso94 wrote:

The boat will be used for slalom and bare footing, and sometimes a quick cruise on nice days..

Just beware these boats can be uncomfortable in > 6" chop, something to consider if you are on big water.
Slalom wake is typically very good on these boats for its vintage, but the side spray is harsh 28' off or less with any headwind. A small block could be better for slalom because the boats are very weight sensitive, and the wake rapidly improves as you remove weight.

Barefooting, it will have the HP but will be quite turbulant above 40 mph.

Not a great wakeboard boat but good to learn the basics without bad habits induced from too-big wakes.

I have separated the deck to repair mine, its not too hard.

If you are looking for the best slalom/barefoot combination, its not ideal, i have others in mind. But if you're looking ot get on the water fast and (maybe) cheap, it could work.
Just don't loose composure over the big block and ignore the rest.

"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
Mrusso94 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mrusso94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2010 at 1:11pm
I here ya.. Honestly, i cant be to picky with my boat.. I'm in college right now and need some cheap just to get me out there.. I ski on weekend mornings with a friend on his malibu bare footer response but i'd love to have something of my own. This boat is listed for 1500, but it needs some work, i can probably get it for about 1,000. Though i tend to get a bit spoiled on my friends malibu, i have skied off of everything from small outboards and jet skis to "power sailers".. The fact that this boat is an actual ski boat is good enough for me.. Plus, its a 32 year old ski boat, there's something about thats just cool about that. And honestly, I can think of more cons then pros in having the 460, but then again.. its a 460, you know what I mean.

Do you have any pics of your deck off repair job??
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2010 at 2:10pm
The barefoot supremes are few and far between but they are so freakin cool. My uncle has an 87 ski supreme its a super cool boat. The graphics and the fact that its older has always attracted me to the barefoot supremes. Plus big block power ;). They ride like a log wagon in chop though. Basically everything all the guys have told you is accurate from what Ive heard.

I remember reading somewhere one year of a supreme had a recall for the stringers coming apart from the hull during operation which resulted in 45 mph in reverse at the will of the boat . But Im sure all those have been recalled by now haha.

The barefoot supreme hull is exactly the same as a ski supreme if Im correct.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2010 at 2:14pm
You are in Waldo territory looking for a quality ski boat for $1,000. Good luck man! A slightly rotted out boat will get you a few seasons on the water.
behindpropeller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2010 at 2:21pm
You can buy it for $1000 but the fact is that you might end up putting 2x that into it and you will still have a boat worth $1000.

I would save your $$ and look for a '93 or new ski nautique in the fall. In fall you will get a great price compared to shopping right now.

Tim

GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2010 at 2:22pm
Yeah, at that price, if you just want to get on the water, it could be the ticket, as long as its back isn't broken.
Guys here, including me, have polished bigger turds. Usually with good results, just be careful not to get too invested.

River Rat to Mole
Mrusso94 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mrusso94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2010 at 2:39pm
Yeah.. I'm aware of the investment ill be making.. I work at a marina in northern NJ, so i have access to supplies, parts, tools etc. for pretty cheap.. hopefully that helps to keep the cost down.. we will see, i havent seen the boat in person yet, Im going on friday.. it could be a basket case.
behindpropeller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2010 at 2:40pm
If you are going to polish a terd dont polish a yugo (supreme), get a Correct Craft (porshe).

Tim

Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2010 at 2:49pm
I would buy a Supreme over a MasterCraft of that era. The approved towboat history list on USAWaterski only goes back to '83, so I'm not even sure what was out there in 1979. A lot of junk came out in the mid 80s.

Pauly-Banana posted a nice MFG comparo from around 82/83.
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2010 at 4:58pm
I would hardly compare a Supreme to a Yugo. In its time, it was a pretty good boat. It certainly wasn't a low price point or disposable boat.

However, the value of a Supreme of that vintage is lower than that of a CC or MC by a couple grand. I see early Supremes from 3 to 6 K routinely. The MCs and CCs of same vintage are a grand or two more.
On the other hand, it will cost you the same to do floors and stringers or engine work. Thus, for a basket case, all things being equal, I'd try to find a CC or MC. If you can find a Supreme for a really good price, and it's safe to operate, why not go for it.

You may also have a bit more trouble finding answers to questions on Supremes. The company changed hands two or three times since the early 80s. They still build Supremes, but the company today has practically no relationship to the company of the 80s, other than its name.

BKH
Livin' the Dream

phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2010 at 6:11pm
Im with hollywood.

Gotta ski, are you the resident turd polisher hahahah?
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2010 at 7:16pm
Originally posted by phatsat67 phatsat67 wrote:

Im with hollywood.

Gotta ski, are you the resident turd polisher hahahah?

nope, Grand Poobah turd polisher

River Rat to Mole
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-21-2010 at 11:38am
Hahaha boom.
Mrusso94 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mrusso94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2010 at 4:08am
So i bought the boat today.. paid a little over 600 for it.. I know its not a correct craft, i've always been a CC guy but I do like this boat, and I cant even find another picture of this boat online anywhere, so its seems to be a rare find. Stringers and floors seem solid, the 460 purs, just needs some cleaning up.. The whole interior needs to be done but theres not much to these older boats. The main thing is the rudder repair, the trailer rolled into a dirt pile and the rudder stopped it. Bent the rudder and lifted the backing board that the rudder bearing flange bolts to right of the inside of the hull.. Ill get some pics of the damage when i pull the tank. Other then that it seems to be a sound vessel, just needs a lot of cleaning.

phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2010 at 1:28pm
Oh thats going to be a beauty. Good buy either way for the price man. We messed up the rudder on our 68 skylark backing it up onto the car trailer I was watching the tires and didnt think about the rudder being to low. We were able to get the rudder bent back but I had to glass in a new piece of wood back there and we ended up having to buy a new rudder box. All in all no big deal. Cost us 120 for the box and whatever the wood/glass was.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2010 at 4:42pm
Ran across this 81 on craigslist a few years ago.

horkn View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2010 at 6:46pm
For 600 or so, that is a steal.

I would definitely not call a ski supreme a yugo. It's actually a very good boat. Even if it needs a full stringer repair, you more than likely can run it a while and plan on the repair work if you can do it on your own.

fwiw, When I bought my 78 martinique in 2001, it had under 200 hours on it.
78 martinique- refloored, reinforced, stringers re glassed, re engineered interior
GT40P heads Edelbrock Performer intake acme 4 blade
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v64/horkn/fish/nautique.jpg
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-27-2010 at 1:07am
Mrusso you lucky shi!t.

Hate to burst your dream, but that boat is not a 79.

Everything about it sez to me that it is an 85,86 or 87 boat. I'm betting its an '85

If so, the slalom wakes won't be quite so nice. However, its a composite boat so the only rot should be the seat bases.

The trailer design, the decals, the while gel under the waterline, the driver seat, all say its an 85+.

River Rat to Mole
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-27-2010 at 1:31am
Originally posted by Mrusso94 Mrusso94 wrote:

Do you have any pics of your deck off repair job??

yes, but i think now you won't need them!

River Rat to Mole
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
  Share Topic