Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - 1979 barefoot supreme? Questions...   *Updated*
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1979 barefoot supreme? Questions... *Updated*

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
Author
Mrusso94 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mrusso94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1979 barefoot supreme? Questions... *Updated*
    Posted: July-15-2017 at 6:50pm
Jeez, 7 year old thread comes back to life! The interesting thing is that this thread makes a slightly more sense in a Correct Craft forum now then it did 7 years ago. Anyhow, let me know if you have any questions. Myself or it's new owner can certainly help!    I'll see if I can get that photobucket account fixed to restore the photos.
Bearfoot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bearfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-12-2017 at 4:50pm
Pm me you're number and I'll send you some pics can't upload them
Timr71 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timr71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2017 at 2:56pm
Originally posted by bkhallpass bkhallpass wrote:

I would hardly compare a Supreme to a Yugo. In its time, it was a pretty good boat. It certainly wasn't a low price point or disposable boat.
[snip]
You may also have a bit more trouble finding answers to questions on Supremes. The company changed hands two or three times since the early 80s. They still build Supremes, but the company today has practically no relationship to the company of the 80s, other than its name.
BKH

And the fact that all Supreme boat sale revenue rolls up to their parent company...that happens to be Correct Craft since 2015 (when CC acquired a majority stake in both Supreme and Centurion.)

BTW, cool looking boat. Should be a great one when you get it sorted. (hmm...shoulda looked at the dates more closely, and/or read the whole thread before replying.)

Still, good looking old boat. I love those, regardless of brand. Like others have stated, it reminds me up my lake days as a kid in the late 70s/early 80s.
ceriousgreen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceriousgreen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2017 at 2:07pm
This 79 barefoot supreme is alive and well on Greenwood Lake in NJ...albeit with a new, far less knowledgeable owner (me).

Do you have any specific questions? Also please post those pics!
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2017 at 4:33pm
Dont try to post photos from phone or tablet, you have to have your photos loaded on a computer.

To post photos, in the reply box below, click on the arrow that is pointing to the NE, that opens another reply box. At the top of that is an icon of a tree with an up arrow. Click on that. It will let you browse for a photo on your computer. Select the photo and then follow instructions. There are a couple more steps. Repeat as needed as you can only do one at a time. Post away, would like to see you pics.
Bearfoot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bearfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2017 at 1:47pm
I have a 1985 if I can figure out how to post pictures I would. Any info much appreciated.
Bearfoot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bearfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2017 at 3:13am
I know this is an old post , any more information on this make and model?
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2010 at 11:28am
Originally posted by Mrusso94 Mrusso94 wrote:

Originally posted by GottaSki GottaSki wrote:

Well done, and looks great!
Looks like an oj 4-force?
Great prop on that boat for holeshot and a flat slalom and barefoot wake. Notsomuch for top speed but you made that up with the engine.

Thanks!    And yes that is an OJ, I ended up changing over to an ACME 1459.. the OJ was one we had layin around and it was a 17, it was only letting me turn 4300 rpm so I went with the acme, which increased performance throughout the range..

I see, that would do it. If you ever have issues with the roost, try one in 13x14.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
Mrusso94 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mrusso94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-01-2010 at 8:33pm
Originally posted by GottaSki GottaSki wrote:

Great prop on that boat for holeshot and a flat slalom and barefoot wake. Notsomuch for top speed but you made that up with the engine.

Thanks!    And yes that is an OJ, I ended up changing over to an ACME 1459.. the OJ was one we had layin around and it was a 17, it was only letting me turn 4300 rpm so I went with the acme, which increased performance throughout the range..
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-01-2010 at 11:16am
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
Mrusso94 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mrusso94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-01-2010 at 1:37am
Phickman, I may do that.. i have some video of the first test ride I took i think.. no seats or engine cover, kneeling down at 53 mph with the 460 right in behind me     
robrich View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robrich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-01-2010 at 1:35am
The boat looks great!

phickman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phickman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-01-2010 at 12:29am
Great Job. To really round this thread off to perfection, take some video of the boat at idle, in action, and looking out the back so we can see the wake. You did a "Supreme" job. Up load them to You Tube and post the link.
Paul Hickman
Mrusso94 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mrusso94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-30-2010 at 8:10pm
Thanks everyone!    And Larry, I do like seeing some of the abbreviated "before and after" threads.. Though i think they can be misleading in how much time are put into these projects. I was lucky, I didn't have to do stringers or a floor on this boat, if I had it I suppose it would have been worth a documentation.. Most of the work was mechanical and cosmetic. The extent of the glass work was the rudder port repair, and the smashed corner.. Also had to re-gel the transom and bottom up to the strut..   The time that must go into some of the actual full restorations on this site is un-imaginable..

thanks again guys..
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-30-2010 at 6:08pm
Very well done. The threads on here that document every step of a job are very interesting but one like this that goes from before to after are almost like a magic trick where the magician whips the cover off of something to reveal a complete "metamorphosis" Again, great job. Just shows what you can do with limited outlay.
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-30-2010 at 5:57pm
You can't beat that deal with a stick. Outstanding looks great and for only 2 grand fantastic job.
MI-nick View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MI-nick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-30-2010 at 5:06pm
sweeeeeeeet!!!!
As far as I can tell, I'm not quite sure...
skicat View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-30-2010 at 3:58pm
Great looking $2000 boat!
Greg

86 BFN
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-30-2010 at 3:41pm
It sure came out real nice! Great work!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-30-2010 at 3:36pm
Wow, nice work. It's so cool to see such a transformation. Thank you for taking the time to take and post the pictures.
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-30-2010 at 3:32pm
Wow,

Nice job!!!!!

Good money spent .

Donald
Mrusso94 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mrusso94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-30-2010 at 2:54pm

So I figured i'd sum up this thread for those of you who expressed an interest. The boat is more or less "done for now" and has been providing hours for the past couple months, with a total invest of around 2,000, including the purchase.

To recap, the boat had rolled down a hill on its trailer, about a quarter mile until the rudder and prop dug into the ground.. the boat sat there for a few years and became the home of many animals, insects, and possibly a few people. There was even some firewood stored in it. I was able to straighten the rudder, and glass in a new board. Prop shaft was straight some how.. The entire interior was redone, and a ton of compounding, teak reconditioning, head gaskets, new windshield, and a million other odds and ends.. the previous pics should give you an idea of what i started with, once all the garbage was removed..

First test run..

Engine had been gone through before, and was put together with a lot of automotive parts.. I made the best of the crusty holley valve covers..

Teak and buffing finished.. replacing windshield and interior..

Ready for action..   (don't worry it doesn't live in the slip)

Overall i'm extremely pleased with the boat.. Excellent wake, hole shot is nice and 53 mph. Also, for skiing on the boom this boat is fantastic. No bow spray to speak of..
Mrusso94 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mrusso94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2010 at 3:09am
Yes they wooden, but in surprisingly good shape. The 460 is cool, but is a bit of a pain to work on due to its size.. i forget how big a difference there is until a get under the hood of my boss's SN with the 351 and i can easily reach the starter, block drains, etc. without any effort.. not the case with this motor. I can't wait to get it out on the lake and tach it up though.
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2010 at 11:49pm
Wow,

Great deal for $600 bucks. It looks like you do have wooden stringers. There are probably folks on this site who would love to buy that motor from you.

Donald
Whitfield View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whitfield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2010 at 10:46pm
Cool Thread .... I like the looks of the old boat / brings back child hood memories.

I've got vague but fond memories of going to the Ski Supreme Factory in Tenessee in 1977 (I was 4). I rode thier in my Grandparents car with my mom and dad. We picked up a new 1977 Ski Supreme. Mom and Dad were both avid local tournament skiers and my dad's parents were a boat dealer ~ I think they bought the Ski Supreme in effort to keep my folks together. Unfortunatly by summer of 78 My partents split and I only got to go on the Ski Supreme a few times that summer with my dad and his date. I don't think we ever used it again and believe it was sold soon after.   
     Just spoke to my dad & grandad trying to learn more about the old Ski Supreme and why they choose Ski Supreme. Dad said it was a branch off from Robbie Shirley and Master Craft with many similarities but was claimed to be a better tournament boat. Once my parents split they soon after quit skiiing all together. Their knowledge of the Ski & boat world ended about 1977.     

*** Anyone got any good pics or Brochure pics of a BLUE 1977 Ski Supreme ???          
Michael ....    

I'm the black sheep ~ 1984 Dixie 299 Super Skier (350 Chev PCM / counter rotation / Velvet drive) Open Bow.
Mrusso94 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mrusso94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2010 at 2:42am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

There may be a picture missing so I don't see one of the prep steps. The with the new wood for the rudder port before glassing doesn't show much prep on the old glass/hull. I suggest more grinding.

You're correct I didn't take a picture of the prep, it was all ground down and prepped meticulously prior to the glass, actually the biggest problem I ran into was the fact that the previous owner changed the oil by opening the drain plug and letting the oil run into the bilge and out the drain, so the bilge was thoroughly coated in oil, what a mess.. probably used en entire quart of acetone on it and a can of brake clean to make sure it was oil free.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-09-2010 at 11:00pm
There may be a picture missing so I don't see one of the prep steps. The with the new wood for the rudder port before glassing doesn't show much prep on the old glass/hull. I suggest more grinding.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Mrusso94 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mrusso94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-09-2010 at 10:51pm
So i started tearing into this thing over the last week or so.. First on the list was the rudder repair so I pulled the tank rudder and post housing.. Things were a little worse then i thought but i think we got her licked. I ended up tearing the older backing board out, laying some fresh glass down, making a new board which was epoxied down and then glassed over with several layers.. I hope to cut a new whole for the rudder mount tomorrow, then i have to straighten the rudder. Any advice on rudder straightening is welcome.

Someone wanted some pics of the 460.. this doesn't really show how much room it takes up, but its a lot..

In these next two pics you can see how the rudder board lifted..

Pulled the board

We essentially made a new "socket" for the rudder mount to sit in and be flush with the bottom of the hull.. this board acted as a mold, glassed in around it and over the top..

Then the board, 3/4'', Was epoxied down with some thickend west system, and glassed over.. Its solid.

While i was working on that, my buddy Jim took care of a nice smash on the corner..

All glassed, filled and sanded, ready for gel..

Once the rudder is in ill get her out on the water to test her out.. then the interior will get pulled apart and the top and sides will get some good cleaning, compounding, and wax.. teak will get some attention as well.. I think i can keep this all under $2,000 including the purchase. The upholstery is gonna be the biggest hit.. if it weren't for that it would be under $1,000 total investment.. We will see though.
Mrusso94 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mrusso94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2010 at 9:09pm
The big block definitely takes up a lot of space.. actually a lot more then i expected.. Ill get some pics up as I make some progress..
dsums View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dsums Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2010 at 4:50pm
Mrusso, Thanks for the compliment. I like to think I kept it in good shape. I love my 196 but that Supreme was a huge part of our life for a long time.
There was a lot of room to work around the motor in the Supreme but I have to think the 460 will fill all usable space. I had 2 F350's with the 460. Had to do the top end on one of them. It is definately a BIG block. Good luck with the project. As always pictures are good.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
  Share Topic