Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Carpet adhesive?

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
srbranum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srbranum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2010 at 10:15pm
Pete,

Picked up two gallons of Henry's 263 today from a company called BPI(Building Products Inc, I think). $39 total. I returned the Henry's stuff I had bought at Lowe's for about $32 so I only paid about $8 more for this stuff.

Thanks,

scott
I have to keep her running 'cause I can't afford a new one
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2010 at 1:30pm
so how many boats do you plan on carpetting? I'll be suprized if you use a half gallon on a 16 footer now if you going for the adhesive through the carpet look then ok.
harddock View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harddock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2010 at 2:21pm
Originally posted by LAKESIDE LAKESIDE wrote:

Been doing upholstery for 23 years.The spray adhesive is crap. Even 3m. I would never recommend using that. Doesn't hold up after heat hits it. If you have access to a pray paint gun and a compressor, try to find some straight up contact cement. It sprays great out of a gun. Home depot sells it in gallon pails. Or maybe if you have a local upholstery shop you can buy some from them .We sell it all the time to customers. WE buy it by the 55 gallon drums. Also when applying it make sure you put glue on the carpet as well as what you are gluing it to. Let dry for a few minutes the stick it down. You wont have any problems. If you don't have a way to spray it you can always brush it on. Harbor Freight sell spray guns for around 15 to 20 dollars. Been using them for years.

I wonder why you've had such bad luck. I've been putting down carpet since I was 15 (I'm 54) owned a carpet store for 20 years and have done boats, cars, trailers, docks, etc and had as good of luck with 3M as with any carpet specific trowled of stuff. I followed the instructions and never had issues. I've got carpet on an aluminum dock that gets wet, gets hot and even stays out in the snow for more tha a few seasons. Held on with 3M/ Go figure!
srbranum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srbranum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2010 at 2:49pm
Originally posted by 79nautique 79nautique wrote:

so how many boats do you plan on carpetting? I'll be suprized if you use a half gallon on a 16 footer now if you going for the adhesive through the carpet look then ok.

Maybe I bought way too much but I have only put carpet in two boats in my life: one about 35 years ago and this boat about 15 years ago and I don't have a clue how much I used either time. The one gallon bucket says 60-90 sq. ft.coverage. My boat is about 14' long counting the area up under the dash and 8'-9' wide counting the floor and both gunwails. Take out the small amount of space for the engine and I come up with about 110sq. ft which is more carpet than the one gallon bucket said was sufficient. I would rather have too much than pinch pennies at this point especially after spending $2500 on the project. Just my .02 cents worth.

scott
srbranum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srbranum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2010 at 3:17pm
Harddock,

Disregard any post you may see from me on concerning Lakeside's comments. I am sleepy from working last night and did not know what I was doing.

Have a Blessed Day,

Scott
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2010 at 3:21pm
you have to pay attention to the size of the grooves on the trowl for that quoted coverage area, and then compare that to the size required for the actual carpet you are using, I bet it's much smaller thus the area of coverage goes up, Not like you can't go to the store and get more if you run out, but I think you'll be taking some back anyway.
horkn View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2010 at 3:57pm
Originally posted by srbranum srbranum wrote:

Maybe I bought way too much but I have only put carpet in two boats in my life: one about 35 years ago and this boat about 15 years ago and I don't have a clue how much I used either time. The one gallon bucket says 60-90 sq. ft.coverage. My boat is about 14' long counting the area up under the dash and 8'-9' wide counting the floor and both gunwails. Take out the small amount of space for the engine and I come up with about 110sq. ft which is more carpet than the one gallon bucket said was sufficient. I would rather have too much than pinch pennies at this point especially after spending $2500 on the project. Just my .02 cents worth.

scott

I have not done that much carpet work with the 3m adhesive, but I know it held the carpet in perfectly on my brother's 86 jeep cj7 we frame on resto'd, and I have used it on countless speaker boxes, and in my nautique with no issues. My friends who helped a lot with my upholstery on my boat owns an upholstery shop and have been using 3m stuff for the 30+ years they have been in business.
78 martinique- refloored, reinforced, stringers re glassed, re engineered interior
GT40P heads Edelbrock Performer intake acme 4 blade
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v64/horkn/fish/nautique.jpg
LAKESIDE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LAKESIDE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-27-2010 at 10:29am
I thought this site was for advice to help others with there projects? Maybe i was wrong. Well it's you boat your the only one who has to like the finished job, so what ever floats your boat. Good luck with you carpet.

DAVE
93 Ski Nautique   SUCK MY WAKE
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-27-2010 at 12:47pm
Originally posted by LAKESIDE LAKESIDE wrote:

I thought this site was for advice to help others with there projects? Maybe i was wrong. Well it's you boat your the only one who has to like the finished job, so what ever floats your boat. Good luck with you carpet. DAVE

Dave,
I don't understand who you're upset with. I re read the thread and to me it seems everyone is trying to help and give advice. The only difference is some use a contact adhesive while others outdoor carpet adhesive. You being a upholsterer I'm sure are more used to the contact adhesive. Personally, I feel the carpet adhesive is prefered due to the fact you can make minor adjustments. keep in mind we are laying carpet and not vinyl over foam.

BTW, they must have made some changes in the contact adhesives. A few years back, I worked on the problem of using a 5 gal pressure feed to a atomizing gun for contact adhesive. I worked with Binks, gave up and went to DeVillbiss and still couldn't get it to spray properly. Lots of fluid tip combinations and even worked with the contact adhesive manufacturer. You're very lucky you can get it to work properly out of the cheapest gun available - the Harbor Freight Chinese import!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
srbranum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srbranum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-31-2010 at 1:58am

Put carpetting on the sides this afternoon and used 3/4 of a gallon. Still have to do the floor. Don't see anyway I could have done it all with one gallon. Maybe I used too much. Just my .02cents worth as they say.

scott
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic