NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New Carpet on Bunk Too Slippery

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
bubbaskier View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bubbaskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Carpet on Bunk Too Slippery
    Posted: April-23-2010 at 8:33pm
I replaced the carpet on my trailer bunks last summer. The carpet is too slippery and the 1984 SN2001 does not stay put like it used to. Since there is no winch (only a safety chain) on the trailer it is a little scary coming out of the water. Any suggestions? Is there a product one can apply to the carpet to make it less slick or do I need to change out the new bunk carpet to some special type of carpet?
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-23-2010 at 8:57pm
bubba, do you hook the safety chain before you pull up the ramp?

Don't end up like this guy...

Have you thought about adding a winch strap? I've got em on our 96 and 78 trailers and they're very nice to have. Cant say the same about bow rollers.
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-23-2010 at 9:05pm
That actually happen to me, launching a brand new Regal 20ft inboard.
After using a product called "Speed Cote"
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-23-2010 at 9:25pm
I've heard of a couple winch straps snapping and letting the boat fall off the trailer (MC and MBO forums) that were cranked too tight, so be careful. My non-boating buddy cranked the turnbuckle so tight on Feelgood's BFN once that the whole ass end of the boat was 2" off the trailer bunks in the back when he pulled it out. Those things are pretty strong! Steep ramps are just a PITA.
emccallum View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emccallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-23-2010 at 9:38pm
A couple of weeks ago my buddy and I shot down to the lake to get in a quick ski in the 82 SN. I backed the car, he hooked the trailer up, went about one block to the ramp, launch the boat, skied, and loaded the boat and back to the house. Backed the boat into the garage and realized the trailer was latched but not all the way on the ball!! I looked at my buddy, and his face was white as a ghost. I laughed and said, you have to have some luck every now and then! Sometimes a little too much tongue weight can be a blessing.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-23-2010 at 10:45pm
The only thing I'm going to say since the statue of limitations isn't up yet,is do you know how hard it is to get the boat back up on the trailer is? I do
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
WakeSlayer View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-23-2010 at 11:14pm
I far prefer turnbuckles.

I saw some guys about a half mile from a launch one time in the middle of the road, about 50 feet ahead of their boat. I offered some advice to them and they freaked on me, like screaming that I had no idea what I was talking about and would get it back on without my stupid suggestion.
If you have a roller trailer, which of course none of us do, you simply back the trailer to the bow, put the vehicle in neutral, and crank the trailer back under the boat.
That bunk wax stuff Al is talking about is risky stuff too.
Mike N

1968 Mustang

bubbaskier View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bubbaskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-23-2010 at 11:30pm
A turnbuckle is a good idea. However with the old carpet even when it was newer I never had an issue of the boat sliding back. The boat always felt secure on the bunks. When I pull the trailer out of the water the bow of the boat rises so I can see problems with Bozo's over tightening anything put on to hold the front down.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-23-2010 at 11:32pm
We always left the turnbuckle loose until we were on flat ground, then bumped the boat forward with the brakes.
Mike N

1968 Mustang

jimsport93 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimsport93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-23-2010 at 11:38pm
Me and seven other guys helped a boat owner load his boat back onto his roller trailer at the ramp oneday. He had unhooked the bow strap while staging the boat on the steep ramp. Started to back in, hit the brakes, and Whamo! The whole 19' I/O on the concrete.
Probably never made that mistake again! OOCH!
skicat2001 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-24-2010 at 12:19am
I would hope that never happens to me.. I am 2 damb cautious to let my Nautique fly off the trailer..
1985 CC 2001-SOLD
Lee Michael Johnson

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-24-2010 at 9:45am
Hook up the bow eye to the trailer!!

Mike,
The "Speed Cote" Al mentioned is actually a bottom coating for the boat that claims to give you a couple extra MPH. I'm surprised it hasn't come up here before with the group trying to out run each other!! Maybe it's a Louisiana or North Carolina secret! They use it on sail boats a lot! Hmmm, isn't there someone we know who's into sailing those catamarans?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-24-2010 at 10:30am
Sorry, I was thinking of Liquid Rollers.   
Mike N

1968 Mustang

62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-24-2010 at 11:38am
Add a short pc of safety chain(or coated cable) to the trailer bow stop...kinda like the trailer tongue has. You can hook that in the bow eye on the boat. As your pulling out of the water it wont bind, but the boat slide back very far either.
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
rman56 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rman56 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-24-2010 at 11:38am
I always double and maybe triple check ours before we pull it out or even haul it. I would hate to have my boat slip off. I have always used my winch to hold it then adjust it a little once were on flat ground (if needed)
1983 Ski Nautique
OverMyHead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-24-2010 at 7:12pm
Originally posted by skicat2001 skicat2001 wrote:

I would hope that never happens to me.. I am 2 damb cautious to let my Nautique fly off the trailer..

Hope you knocked on wood after making that statement.
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-25-2010 at 6:14pm
Originally posted by OverMyHead OverMyHead wrote:

Originally posted by skicat2001 skicat2001 wrote:

Hope you knocked on wood after making that statement.

I probally should..huh.. My luck it would happen to me..
1985 CC 2001-SOLD
Lee Michael Johnson

OverMyHead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-25-2010 at 6:22pm
In my world fate has a sadistic sense of humor.
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-25-2010 at 6:40pm
1985 CC 2001-SOLD
Lee Michael Johnson

phaughey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phaughey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-12-2017 at 12:04am
If you people don't know the answer to the question keep your fingers off the keyboard. Are you that lonely ? The carpet is directional. you have it installed backwards. Slide your hand down the bunks in one direction , then the other , you will see what I am talking about.
wizard
Moody Blue View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moody Blue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-12-2017 at 12:33am
Wow. That’s a delayed (and not very nice) response..
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-12-2017 at 4:39am

I added two chains to my trailer. One stops the boat from going forward too much and the other holds it so it can't slide off the back.   My boat nearly came in the back window of our truck in a panic stop on wet bunks. Both rear straps just snapped and were no help.
Both front stop bars bent forward and out and the boat slid forward up and over the now bent poles about 5 feet before stopping. We had several deer run out in front of us heading home from the lake one night. Straps are iffy but in Chain I Trust!
The photo only shows the first chain installed. I added the second chain from the eye to the front frame later and covered both chains in rubber when I finished.
Now I rest easy when it is in transport.
Mark
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-12-2017 at 11:35am
Nice solution Mark, given your experiences
Looks stout , but I suspect that u bolt on the trailer would pop earlier than you would wish, it seems a fraction of the strength on the rest of the system, especially given the angle of pull and distortion it would receive prior to full stress.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-12-2017 at 12:00pm
Mark- check the rating on that quick link too,they can be way less than you think. I think it would be better to use a clevis hook- like these
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-12-2017 at 12:38pm
Originally posted by phaughey phaughey wrote:

If you people don't know the answer to the question keep your fingers off the keyboard. Are you that lonely ? The carpet is directional. you have it installed backwards. Slide your hand down the bunks in one direction , then the other , you will see what I am talking about.

You must be pretty lonely yourself, to drag up a thread that was from 7 1/2 years ago
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-12-2017 at 12:42pm
I am so lonely that I take the time to dig up seven year old threads just to make snarky, douchy comments.
desertskier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-12-2017 at 1:06pm
I'm so lonely I think I will go and stroke my carpet.   Directional
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-12-2017 at 1:47pm
Does it matter if the carpet matches the drapes?
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
phaughey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phaughey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-12-2017 at 5:42pm
7 1/2 years and no one knew the answer. lol
wizard
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-12-2017 at 6:01pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Does it matter if the carpet matches the drapes?

Hell ya
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic