NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Recent v-drive history

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Recent v-drive history
    Posted: April-06-2010 at 2:50pm
Anyone know who was the first manufacturer to release a v-drive wakeboard boat and the year. Not talking about the Excel (91) or Supersport (95) but the first one sold as a wakeboard boat. I am doubting it was CC and thinking maybe Centurion?? Anyone know the answer? Then, when was CCs first?
Fl Inboards View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fl Inboards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2010 at 2:58pm
You really dont want me answering so I will see how this comes out!!
Hobby Boats can be expensive when the hobbyist is limited on their own skill and expertise.

1993 Shamrock "fat" 20. 2008 Nautique 196 5.0
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2010 at 3:53pm
Seems like Malibu had a VD in the early 90's, but they didn't put a tower on one till 2000. Correct Craft put an extended pylon on the 176 and called it Air Nautique in 1998 and had the SAN in 1999. I've always heard CC invented the tower and other boat companies had to pay them royalties. The Malibu salesman told me Malibu invented that arch tower, so they could quit paying CC money. I'm thinkin it was Correct Craft. Centurian seems to have invented the surfing boat.
WakeSlayer View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2010 at 4:09pm
CC made an Air Nautique DD in 1998 with a tower, but I do believe the 99 SAN's were the first V-drive "official" wakeboard boats. I have heard the same about the royalty payments for every tower installed by another boat mfg.
Mike N

1968 Mustang

pjpayleitner View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pjpayleitner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2010 at 4:14pm
I would say '99 was the first year for the "Super Air" and also the Xstar was a vdrive in '99.

MC came out with a dd Xstar in 97 and the first Air was also 1997. Centurion had the "Wave" back in 96 I think but that boat wasn't a vdrive.

Really this is kind of a pointless topic b/c all these boats were the same as the regular Sport /Super Sport/ MC 205, etc... They just had towers and different decals.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2010 at 4:38pm
Originally posted by pjpayleitner pjpayleitner wrote:

Really this is kind of a pointless topic b/c all these boats were the same as the regular Sport /Super Sport/ MC 205, etc... They just had towers and different decals.

It was a good idea though, because it increased sales tremendously and started a whole new kind of boat.
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2010 at 5:57pm
OK Jody your turn. Maybe you were holding out because, contrary to what I thought, CC was first to label a V-drive as a wake boat. (Note: My original question was specific to v-drives, so Air Nautique (98) doesnt count, but SAN (99) would, even if it was just a glorified SS.)

Fl Inboards View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fl Inboards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2010 at 5:57pm
Correct Craft was the first to utilize a v-drive (SuperSport) as a sport specific Wakeboard boat however the SuperSport was not originaly designed as a wakeboard boat but that of a general all purpose family runabout. We spent many a man hour trying to design a wakeboard specific platform out of the direct drive Sport nautique. Along about that time we also came forth with the tower and it's associated patents. It took Scott Mohr Formally of CC to start utilizing the SuperSport as Wake board boat in competition as we started putting towers on everything. It was devine intervention or maybe dumb luck (I would like to think that it was devine intervention) that the boat turned out to be the mac Daddy for the time for wakeboarding ( and still is in some circles). As Far as V-drive Wake board specific designed boats I would have to say that Mike Brendel and also Centurian and Malibu may have jumped on the band wagon around the same time as we had a big jump on them.
Hobby Boats can be expensive when the hobbyist is limited on their own skill and expertise.

1993 Shamrock "fat" 20. 2008 Nautique 196 5.0
WakeSlayer View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2010 at 6:19pm
The 98 Air Nautique was grossly misrepresented by CC to a friend of mine. Many tall tales were told by the regional reps, and ultimately it was a very disappointing boat after all the rep hype. His new boat was sold off and a 99SAN was ordered within months of delivery. The SSN's were certainly family recreational boats and no one really thought of riding behind them at the time. There was a pretty big stigma about a Vdrive boat at the time for some obviously unfounded reason. We all wanted direct drives and wouldn't budge. Divine intervention I would call it. I love mine!!!
Mike N

1968 Mustang

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic