Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Moving from outboard to inboard, what to know?

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123>
Author
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2010 at 3:00pm
Originally posted by dominyhataway dominyhataway wrote:

One major disadvantage to the inboard is running in shallow water and hitting underwater obstructions. You can hit something with either an inboard or outboard but the damage is usually much more severe if you hit something with an inboard. Typically on an outboard you will damage the prop and that's about it, with an inboard you can damage fins, rudder, prop, shaft etc.

No name,
You mention the typical damage to a O/B (orI/O) is the prop. The same may be said of a I/B. It all depends on what you hit!! Have you ever had to replace the lower unit of a O/B or I/O? Even worse, have you ever seen a I/O transom ripped out from a hit? It's not pretty!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Netdewt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Netdewt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2010 at 3:13pm
Right, right, just don't hit anything.

I did my rock hitting when I was 12. We still have the prop to prove it. Done with that.
1989 Ski Nautique 2001, 880 hours
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2010 at 3:24pm
Originally posted by dominyhataway dominyhataway wrote:

One major disadvantage to the inboard is running in shallow water and hitting underwater obstructions. You can hit something with either an inboard or outboard but the damage is usually much more severe if you hit something with an inboard. Typically on an outboard you will damage the prop and that's about it, with an inboard you can damage fins, rudder, prop, shaft etc. Inboards are also much more difficult to handle at low speeds particularly in tight areas. Inboards are superior tow boats though, with much more power, high speed maneuverability, and generally usually more reliable.

since an I/O or outboard motor sit lower in the water than an inboard does, I.E. Draft, if you compare them to a inboard hitting something in shallow water the inboard is going to have a dinged prop the I/O and O/B will be leaving the lower unit back in the water where you made contact with that underwater object.
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2010 at 4:10pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Even worse, have you ever seen a I/O transom ripped out from a hit? It's not pretty!!!

Definitely not pretty. My nephew whacked something in my sister's I/O. Tore up the transom. Got the boat towed a ways but then it sank in about 30 feet of water. A little air in the bow had it standing up on the bottom. They rescued it and sold it pretty much for junk after they got scared off by the horror stories of what it would take to fix. Someone handy picked it up and got it running again pretty quickly.
skicat2001 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2010 at 4:49pm
Yea the sound of inboards are like no other. I love where I launch my boat, the park surrounds all around, and people watch boats cominng in and going out.. Love mine to rumble out or coming in, and its amazing the inboard sound, and peoples heads turn.. lol
Now those other videos are cool, this one is not a correct craft, but is a old inboard.. I dont know what motor this is but sounds like a 390 Ford. I grew up on these boats. Check this sound out..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gV5m3pcuuoo This a great sound!!
1985 CC 2001-SOLD
Lee Michael Johnson

62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2010 at 7:38pm
I joke with a friend that has a newer Mastercraft that "real ski boats" dont have open bows or mufflers?

Ive actually had a guy come up to us at the dock, after I started my boat, and ask if it had a big block? I I told him 'not quite'...I loved the look on his face when I lifted the cover to expose the big bad 6 banger in my 64.
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2010 at 7:50pm
Steve,
Would agree boats lost there sounds starting in the late 90's. They started putting single mufflers on them.. What is that about? Dual mufflers.. Love to here the rumble taken off..
1985 CC 2001-SOLD
Lee Michael Johnson

OverMyHead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-25-2010 at 2:53am
What lake was that in the Pics?
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

Netdewt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Netdewt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-25-2010 at 3:31am
Girl Lake, Longville, MN
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-25-2010 at 11:38pm
Nate,
Aw you from the lake state? I used to drive a truck years ago, and used to deliver to minnesota.The lakes up there and cabins on the lakes where amazing. I would love to one year grab the fam and head up there with the nautique. My one catch being a tx boy, native, I couldnt handle 65 degree water in august..lol I am used to a bath water in the summer here in tx, and water temps up in october in the mid to low 70's.. Find you a 2001 my friend..
1985 CC 2001-SOLD
Lee Michael Johnson

Netdewt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Netdewt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-26-2010 at 1:49am
Yep, I grew up here. I live in the Twin Cities, but my parents have the cabin. They're thinking of selling their house now and moving up there since we all moved out finally. I love living in Minnesota and I don't see myself living elsewhere, but the winters can be tough. The way I think of it, the winters make the summers that much sweeter.

Every summer I dream about moving "up north". Best place in the world.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-26-2010 at 7:23pm
Nate,
The north is pretty cool, my dad and mother are from the north. To make a long story short, my dad is a Nebreska man, and my mother is from Ohio. As you said, both there parents moved out of the north because of those winters and decided to move there familys down to the dallas/ft worth area. My dad has stories of his family when he wuz a boy, they used to spend there summers up there in minnesota on the lakes. He said the lakes and cabins and scenery is breathtaking...
1985 CC 2001-SOLD
Lee Michael Johnson

Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-26-2010 at 7:27pm
Originally posted by Netdewt Netdewt wrote:

Every summer I dream about moving "up north". Best place in the world.

Key word here is "summer". Where do you dream about being in the middle of winter?
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-28-2010 at 2:47am
Nate,

What ever inboard you purchase, please make sure you have a strainer on the water intake hose. The strainer should catch some of those weeds before they clog up you cooling system. My boat does not have one and I am going to add one to my boat. I rode on a 2001 Boat at the St. John's River Run last week and it had a strainer. It was dumped every morning and their was a lot of weed like stuff in the bowl each day. I was very suprised about how much stuff was collected. The Florida water had a lot of weeds in it.

JMO,

Donald
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-28-2010 at 4:18am
Donald, I heard boat doc say he thought strainers would cause more problems than do good. Someone got some stuff in their strainer at GL which is pretty weedy. It probly would have just gone thru had it not had a strainer. Anyway, just relaying what I know/heard.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-28-2010 at 10:24am
I don't have strainers on any of my boats and have never had a problem. Depends on the waters you boat on.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-28-2010 at 6:19pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

I don't have strainers on any of my boats and have never had a problem. Depends on the waters you boat on.

I agree, I would think a muddy bottom (what we have here in IA) and weeds would be a different story.
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-28-2010 at 6:44pm
Originally posted by storm34 storm34 wrote:

Donald, I heard boat doc say he thought strainers would cause more problems than do good. Someone got some stuff in their strainer at GL which is pretty weedy. It probly would have just gone thru had it not had a strainer. Anyway, just relaying what I know/heard.

I have seen several times a so called "insurance policy" create more problems than the issue it was to prevent.
To clarify above statement, the stainless steel mesh strainer was contaminated by so much "silt" that the intake filter stopped all water flow. We all know what happens to the little blades when you dry run.Because of the owner , high temp, the only damage done was to his impeller and a dent in his pride.
All this happened very close to the dock and an quick trip back on the trailer to replace a very damaged impeller, clean out the gunk plugging the screen and the day was saved.
I think the situation would have played out differently had he been in a different location nor paying attention to the temp guage.Any debris found in the stainer would not have harmed the engine in any way, the impeller will swallow and discharge a lot of debris before damage is done to the impeller. Lack of water for any reason means a quick death only repairable by new parts.
I am also one of those that uses no "protection" as Pete stated.I think they are more harm than good.But what do I know?????????????//

DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-28-2010 at 8:35pm
And, also too, The intent was, to have an easier way to catch and "clean-out" the debris before it reached the trans cooler.

A lot of folks do not check anything but the fuel gauge.
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-28-2010 at 10:01pm

OKAY..... Now back to the

REAL REASON we run Correct Crafts!

64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-28-2010 at 10:23pm
Gotta have a strainer.. Clean mine at the end of every season..
1985 CC 2001-SOLD
Lee Michael Johnson

79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-02-2010 at 5:34pm
Originally posted by skicat2001 skicat2001 wrote:

Gotta have a strainer.. Clean mine at the end of every season..

actually you should check it before you take off for the day/week-end and anytime you see a slightly higher than normal reading on the temp gauge.

Some say it's not needed and it leads to more problems than it's worth, I say their just lazy and don't want to use the safty device correctly for it's intended purpose as a filter.
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-02-2010 at 5:48pm
Chris is this your opinion or do you OWN A BOAT that has one installed?
We will wait on your reply, but I assume the latter is not the case.
Air206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Air206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-02-2010 at 6:23pm
Ok Fellas - don't wanna get in the middle........ but here is my life with strainers:

Strainer on the 2004 206 - In our lake we always have lots of barklike debris in lake and I always find some in strainer.... clean 2-3 times a year and always debris inside (one year, 1/3 of plastic shopping bag - glad I didn't have to fish that out of anywhere else).

No Strainer on 78 Tique for 6 months then place strainer on (took advise and put it on upside down for self-drainage). Find same large-ish debris in it but not the fines that are in the other. I guess the self-draining part clears out the smaller particles.

In my lake, I am glad I use them......... FWIW.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-02-2010 at 6:58pm
I suppose an upside down strainer will let more silt and sand through instead of it sinking in the bowl, but the leak protection (it won't suck air after it's minimally full), and self drain in winter are huge positives.
Air206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Air206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-02-2010 at 7:54pm
Yeah Hollywood,
In SW Virginia we usually don't think too much about freezing but the last two years have been doosies! Nice to have it self drain.........
skicat View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-02-2010 at 8:10pm
I heard the guy at GL had the problem because the area around the camp ground was so shallow this year the BFN he was in sucked the mud off of the bottom while at idle waiting to pick up the truck driver. By the way, this same guy told me the impeller was way cheaper than the tire blow out or the prop the above mentioned truck driver bent up by hitting the bottom!
Greg

86 BFN
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-02-2010 at 8:15pm
Originally posted by skicat skicat wrote:

I heard the guy at GL had the problem because the area around the camp ground was so shallow this year the BFN he was in sucked the mud off of the bottom while at idle waiting to pick up the truck driver. By the way, this same guy told me the impeller was way cheaper than the tire blow out or the prop the above mentioned truck driver bent up by hitting the bottom!

A little off tangent... Greg, do you think you could pass along a message to this "GL guy" for me? Just curious if I should avoid the campground launch with the BFN at GL this year. Maybe towing it over to the launch at the park would be a good idea. Thanks!
skicat View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-02-2010 at 8:24pm
I will check with him, but I don't think launching or driving around the campground was a problem if you just watch the depth gauge. You only really have one small channel to get out of there. The problem comes in while sitting out there & you get blown around some & end up in really shallow water. Next time I would say he would just go out a little further & wait where it is not quite as shallow.
Greg

86 BFN
kytom2 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kytom2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-02-2010 at 11:25pm
How can the truck driver bend up the prop,if hes driving the truck?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123>
  Share Topic