NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Another BFN Rebuild

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 28293031>
Author
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-16-2017 at 12:38pm
Tim is getting it done. Tandem will look legit/period correct with his resto plans. I jumped on the under gunnel light bandwagon too.

Nice work, can't wait to get it all wet at the buckethead.
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-16-2017 at 2:09pm
My stock Signiture Edition has a shower, heater, gull wing observer seat, gunnel lights and a light under the bow and I love and use them all.
Nice work Tim.
samudj01 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samudj01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2017 at 1:19am
Nice work. Look forward to riding in it again
78 Ski Tique, 72 Skier w/302's, 93 SN w/351 & 17 GS22 w/zr409
Previous - 99 Sport Nautique w/GT40 and 87 Martinique w/351
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2017 at 1:40am
bling
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2017 at 10:37am
Incredibly cool, what a boat!
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2017 at 3:30pm
I DON'T LIKE THE WINDSHIELD
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2017 at 3:47pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

I DON'T LIKE THE WINDSHIELD

I AGREE! It needs a walk through.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2017 at 5:28pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

No bling here, just functional upgrades. Trying to keep the outward appearance stock, look more closely and it's anything but... This boat gets used as intended, and used hard. We do enough skiing at dusk (and the occasional midnight cruise) to justify the lighting. No more unloading in the dark. Got a pair of lights to add to the Skier also.    Dad had them in the '92 from the factory (I believe) and they were handy.

I agree on under gunnel lights. Actually, I would make an argument they are a good safety upgrade - no more worrying about tripping on handles and other such stuff while maneuvering in the boat in the dark. I like em!
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2017 at 10:35am
I was inspired by one of Tim's "Functional upgrades"

fanofccfan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2017 at 2:15pm
👍🏻. Please show the lights prior to install if you have pictures. I like that look.
2004 196 LE Ski 1969 Marauder 19 1978 Ski
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2017 at 2:33pm
Not sure if you are talking to me or Tim, but here is what I used.

They come with a sticky back, but I wouldnt trust it to adhere to the rough fiberglass under the gunnel, (sorry Pete, "gunwale") so what I did was support a 1/2 inch pvc pipe frame above some supports under the gunnel, with elbows for the cross piece under the deck, and trusted the sticky stuff to hold to the pipe. The night time photography exaggerates the effect a bit, but you get the idea. In real life, its not quite that intense.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2017 at 2:37pm
Adhesive doesn't perform well in tension. Some wire twist ties will hold and not block much, if any, light.
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2017 at 2:41pm
Yeah, Im prepared for that. Have a fist full of zip-ties ready to go if the goo starts to give.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2017 at 3:49pm
I used LED rope lighting secured with clips (screwed into the wood backed gunnel). Sealed and rated for marine (possibly underwater use, not sure id trust them for that though).
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2017 at 3:51pm
15 years after the wake boarders started installing them, CCFers are catching on....   
fanofccfan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2017 at 10:09pm
Originally posted by 75 Tique 75 Tique wrote:

Not sure if you are talking to me or Tim, but here is what I used.

They come with a sticky back, but I wouldnt trust it to adhere to the rough fiberglass under the gunnel, (sorry Pete, "gunwale") so what I did was support a 1/2 inch pvc pipe frame above some supports under the gunnel, with elbows for the cross piece under the deck, and trusted the sticky stuff to hold to the pipe. The night time photography exaggerates the effect a bit, but you get the idea. In real life, its not quite that intense.

Yep. Sorry I was a bit confusing with that question but you got the idea! Thanks
2004 196 LE Ski 1969 Marauder 19 1978 Ski
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2017 at 12:37pm
Slow but steady progress as of late. Primed the oil system, adjusted the valvetrain. Built a new accessory bracket and had it bent. Starting to hang things on it now.

New oil cooler is half mounted as well.

New pylon modified (with flange) and installed- no more interference between the SDBM and gullwing observer.

Cooling lines are close to being done, fuel lines are all run now (to pump). Still have some final engine assembly and the engine wiring to do. Hopefully only a few weeks away.
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2017 at 1:00pm
Fuel filter right above the starter. What could possibly go wrong? Ha! Looks really nice, though.
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2017 at 1:16pm
Ha I know right? Wish there was more room to mount it cleanly- but I couldn't find anyplace that was accessible. A fuel leak is a bad bad thing in any case, so it'll be business as usual in making sure connections are tight and leak free.
DayTony View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DayTony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2017 at 5:12pm
Looking good tim!
My first thought was also, fuel location.
My racor I mounted FWD of engine by the pylon. Super easy to get at and room underneath to drain water off.
I like the mounting plate you made up, looks clean.
I also went with a remote oil filter setup, I'm just using a mercruiser one I had laying around. That's a nice looking one who makes that?

I remember you having trouble with your ccv and oil leaking into bilge last year, are you planning on venting it into a catch can or into the exhaust? Or are you just going to run the vents to the air carb
1988 Barefoot nautique-454
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2017 at 6:21pm
Oil leaks were related to front seal issues, possibly due to excess crank movement? Or rough sealing surface? All rebuilt now, should be good. I had already added some improved pvc/breather/baffle set ups a few years ago that cleaned up the air flow/oil mist issue.

I wish there was more room at the front of the engine for the fuel filter like the later BFN's. We already moved the pylon 2" forward relative to its original location, and I moved the engine back an inch this year to fit the PCM RWP (would have hit the floor). With the new PCM alt/bracket location I anticipate being able to reach the drain plug from the front of the engine, which will be a welcome improvement.

Engine is wired up as of last night, crank test went well after bypassing the NSS. New one is on order. Just a few more water plumbing details, then it's time to make up some AN hose assemblies. Getting close.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-04-2017 at 9:47pm
Decided to skip the remote oil filter (oil) plumbing for break in... allowed me to get the boat buttoned up this weekend. Minor hiccups on some trans cooler fittings but otherwise pretty smooth sailing. It cools, oils, doesn't leak and runs out just fine- so I am starting to gain confidence. 25gal of gas burned and counting... more to come next weekend.

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-04-2017 at 9:52pm
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-04-2017 at 9:58pm
Looking great Tim. Nice work as always.
Cooler fittings? The oil lines? Aren't they just JIC's or do you have something different?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-04-2017 at 10:09pm
New transmission from a newer BFN, hoses and cooler are from the previous set up. Lines are NPT on one end and some sort of flare on the other (looks like a single flare but only mates to a double/inverted flare). Had one bad mate from the original assembly and had to go shopping for adapters- all the lines/cooler from the other set up were an hour away. Got it sorted.

I assume you meant the trans cooler plumbing snafu and not the engine oil cooler plumbing (custom AN lines required).
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-05-2017 at 10:14pm
She looks mean.
1980 Ski Nautique SOLD Back to Cypress Gardens
2002 Sport Nautique, GT-40, FCT2, Cover Sports, Tower Bimini, Inc., Wet Sounds Audio System, Star Gazer Wake Edition S.
1968 Ski Nautique, Project.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-29-2017 at 3:47pm
Originally posted by 75 Tique 75 Tique wrote:

I was inspired by one of Tim's "Functional upgrades"

I just found out that Tim did yet another LED upgrade:

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2018 at 2:47pm
Well another year later and I am almost ready to launch again. After about 10 hours on the rebuild, I connected the remote oil filter/cooling set up and learned a few more lessons about bypass adapters and what fits best in a tight bilge. Saw some wonky oil pressure readings that should hopefully go away on the latest incarnation. I also learned a valuable lesson on proper bearing clearances and double checking them during installation. Cost me a spun rod and a subsequent bottom end mini-redo.

Huge shout out to Joe who helped with the engine project AND rebuilt the original 72c transmission with a cool new upgraded front piston (thanks for the cylinder mod Duane!). We came up *just* short on our Memorial Day reinstall but I seem to be on track for a fire up this week.

Hopefully I’ll get to enjoy some of the updates before I break it again.. More pics to come.

Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2018 at 3:47pm
Good to hear you're seeing light at the end of the tunnel.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2018 at 3:55pm
Where did you find valve covers like that with holes in them. Did you have to drill them?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 28293031>
  Share Topic