NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Vinyl Foor 101

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
Author
Mojo View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Vinyl Foor 101
    Posted: December-04-2009 at 5:13pm
Yes, I know there has been plenty of discussion about finding the match for the "tweed" style vinyl floor for our 60's CC's. I remember however that no one has ever really found the correct pattern and or something that will last better than wall covering..

I'n curious if anyone has found something they really like, is durable, and looks half way decent???

The carpet has to come out of the Cuda, just wondering what I want to put back in it... Since the boat is going "original style", I thought to weigh out the vinyl floor option...

Anything really worth looking at ??

Moj'
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had:96' SNOB
had:76' Nautique
had 77 Tique

Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-04-2009 at 5:25pm
I bought this in white for our Mustang, but haven't installed it yet.
http://www.yourautotrim.com/nadedotfl.html

There's a heavier, pricier flooring from A & A that we're considering for the Classic. It's rubber with lines on it.

I've yet to find anything that's like the textured rubber floor that came in those older boats.
Mojo View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-04-2009 at 6:27pm
Thought the stuff from Cabellas looked pretty good... I'm afraid of "white" although that would look pretty classy...
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had 77 Tique

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-04-2009 at 7:05pm
Dave,
I did find in my searching for vinyl wall covering that there are different weights available. The stuff CC used was pretty light weight. Still, don't know if you cold find the "basket weave". I know Charlie (Brady) has the same in his 70 Cuda but hasn't had a chance to go to a wall covering store yet. I did see plenty of grass cloth styles and do know CC used it too. I've got a feeling they were using remnants or over runs!!!! BTW, Charlies lasted for 30 years! Put the same stuff back in and give it another 30 years. By the time it goes, you'll (and myself) be doing other mods to our boats - like a wheel chair access!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
p/allen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p/allen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-04-2009 at 8:35pm
Heck Pete my floor is still original at 37 years
Pat
My 72 Skier
Rock River
Dixon,ILL.
The Godfather View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Godfather Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-05-2009 at 1:11am

Dave,

I will take a photo of my floor and post it later.

Mine is 37 years old as well. And you will see in great shape as well.

Dave
connorssons View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote connorssons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-05-2009 at 11:36am
Hello a friend put the floor in from A A marine looks great, thay also have a floor that looks similar to the old CC floors. good luck jeff.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-05-2009 at 12:46pm
Originally posted by connorssons connorssons wrote:

Hello a friend put the floor in from A A marine looks great, thay also have a floor that looks similar to the old CC floors. good luck jeff.

Similar but not very original!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
MartyMabe View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartyMabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-05-2009 at 12:57pm
66 Skylark
93 SN
If you're not living in NC, you're just camping out!
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-05-2009 at 1:03pm
Pete, even the commercial wall papers are similar, but not very original. If they were using remnants and over runs, there is a wide range of what would be considered original.

I've got some scraps of the rubber stuff that was in our 67 Cuda. They used it in the Mustang to secure the exhaust hose to the stringers with roofing nails!

Maybe Dave will find a color in wall paper that will go with his Barracuda, but I couldn't find one that would go with seafoam green. If you're rstoring one of these boats, finding the right flooring is a PIA.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-05-2009 at 9:29pm
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

Pete, even the commercial wall papers are similar, but not very original. If they were using remnants and over runs, there is a wide range of what would be considered original.

Bruce,
You put vinyl wall covering back in that's a original restoration even though it may not be the exact color or pattern. You put another material in like rubber then it's certainly not a restoration. Do you think someone doing a Garwood and puts new "battleship" linoleum back in but the shade of gray is slightly off isn't a original restoration?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-05-2009 at 9:39pm
Originally posted by MartyMabe MartyMabe wrote:

Basketweave Design ???

Marty,
The one you found has too much weave. I just did a search and the first site I went to is US vinyl. They specialize in commercial wall covering like this one. It's a 15oz and pretty damn close to the basket weave pattern CC used.

Here's another one that looks damn close to another pattern CC used. It happens to be even heavier at 21oz.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote connorssons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-06-2009 at 10:50am
Will these wall coverings hold up to the u v rays and traffic. any help would be nice.would like to put my floor back as close to possible in my 72 seperator. thanks jeff
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-06-2009 at 10:55am
Originally posted by connorssons connorssons wrote:

Will these wall coverings hold up to the u v rays and traffic. any help would be nice.would like to put my floor back as close to possible in my 72 seperator. thanks jeff

Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Dave,
BTW, Charlies lasted for 30 years! Put the same stuff back in and give it another 30 years. By the time it goes, you'll (and myself) be doing other mods to our boats - like a wheel chair access!!

Originally posted by p/allen p/allen wrote:

Heck Pete my floor is still original at 37 years

Jeff,
Do you have any of the original? Take a look at the US Vinyl site and see what you can find. There may be some that are even closer to the original than the ones I posted.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote connorssons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-06-2009 at 11:08am
Good morning pete! no i dont, boat was pretty rough when baught it. had a tree growing out of floor. any help on original pattern would be a great help. thank you jeff
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-06-2009 at 11:10am
Jeff,
For a 72, I'd go with something like the second sample I posted. Maybe a little lighter in color.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
clarkebar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clarkebar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-06-2009 at 11:19am
My 62 floor coovering was not the basket weave. It is more like raised lines set at 45 degrees from each other. They did the samething on mine as Bruce's 63. They used small strips of the same material and nails to hold the electrical wires, fuel line, exhaust hoses and cables. I can't find anything even close to the original. I have most of the original flooring but it is hard and brittle so I will pick one that is close.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote connorssons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-06-2009 at 11:21am
Thanks pete! if i can figure out how to post pics, ill show you my project.
Brady View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-06-2009 at 11:22am
Many of the supply houses will send samples for a nominal fee, you really should do this as the image on the screen can be quite misleading.
Charlie
Three Lakes, Wisconsin
69 Barracuda
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-06-2009 at 11:27am
Eric, what color is your floor?

Getting samples is a good idea. The dot stuff I ordered was much thinner than I expected.
RainDog View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RainDog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-06-2009 at 12:08pm
Ditto. My kickboard covering and exhaust straps and fuel line support all used the same white rubber/vinyl chevron pattern
clarkebar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clarkebar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-06-2009 at 6:27pm
Bruce,
My flooring is white. The only concern I have about the newer style is the thickness. My old one is quite thick. If you get some samples that you are happy with please let me know.
The Godfather View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Godfather Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-06-2009 at 10:33pm

Dave,

Here are a couple of shots of my floor.

Hope this will help.

Dave
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-07-2009 at 10:35am
Eric, Sound like that flooring is what may have been used in the later boats, too, only a different color. I'll let you know what I find, please do the same.

Steve, what did you use in your Classic?
RainDog View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RainDog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-07-2009 at 11:36am
Bruce,
I compromised. I used black ribbed rubber from McMaster. Since my interior deviated sufficiently from original, I didn't go to great extremes to match the flooring. If I do find white chevron vinyl flooring, to refit the boat would only take an afternoon.

Mojo View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-07-2009 at 12:28pm
Dave,
That salt and pepper pattern is available through Cabellas. Thanks for the pics !!!! I think that would go in the cuda quite nicely.. Any way to "Mic" this thickness of the covering ?

The white rubber material is also available as well as the black. Steve, I like the black floor... Can't imagine white white would look like after a season...

Peter, what was the thickness of the original cross hatch material? Is a 20+ ounce material thick enough to wear?

Pics are great guys. We'll obviously find out that a number of materials would have been used as CC continued on their tradition of using what was around and available at the time...

Thanks
Moj'
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had 77 Tique

Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-07-2009 at 12:39pm
The black looks good in the Classic. Steve, your interior came out really nice.
Here's white in Reid's Classic. It looks good too, but no doubt requires more cleaning.
RainDog View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RainDog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-07-2009 at 12:40pm
I like the black floor as well. It visually 'grounds' the interior. Surprisingly, it does not get really hot in the sun. Maybe in the south it would be an issue, but up here a little extra heat is usually welcome.

Being rubber and black, it is pretty easy to keep clean. I don't think white would be a problem though.

Anyhow, until I can get the correct white chevron material, I'll keep what is there.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-07-2009 at 1:25pm
Originally posted by Mojo Mojo wrote:

Dave,
That salt and pepper pattern is available through Cabellas. Thanks for the pics !!!! I think that would go in the cuda quite nicely.. Any way to "Mic" this thickness of the covering?

I was wondering the same thing... Dave (Godfather), is that the original floor covering? It looks more like Nautolex, which is a marine vinyl floor covering, rather than the "wall covering" that was supposed to have been original in the Mustangs in the late 60's and early 70's. I requested Nautolex samples sometime back and think the "shark" looks really good. Not sure how close to original it is though.

Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-07-2009 at 1:39pm
The 68 Barracuda we picked up looks like it has the natural Nautolex on the kickboard. I have not removed the kick board yet, so haven't been able to judge if it may be orginal.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
  Share Topic