NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Ford FE Engines

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ford FE Engines
    Posted: October-19-2009 at 10:52am
I've been doing some reseach on the old FE engines that Interceptor marinized and Correct Craft installed in their boats, and have read some reports that indicate that you can get big horsepower by bolt ons.

One thread I was reading even said it was much cheaper to build up a 352 or 390 than build a 351. I am looking at the 352 and what I've read, the bottom ends were bullet proof, but the valve trains had problems and didn't flow well. Edelbrock supposedly makes a great set of aluminum heads and an aluminum intake that will boost hp from 250 to around 400. Is that believable?

joe_schindler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joe_schindler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-19-2009 at 12:53pm
There will be plenty that disagree; but the 352 was an orphan of an engine. I think it exchanges to a point; most of the externals (heads, manifolds, cam, valvetrain, oil system) that the larger engines use; but is 10% smaller than the more common 390. I think the ports on the 352 head are smaller than the 390; and I only remember seeing 2 bbl versions of the intake. There may have been two versions of cylinder walls also. I’ve heard some have a thinner wall; and will not take much of an overbore. Also seems like these blocks cracked around the cam journals; but it didn’t seem to hurt much. All of the Ford FE blocks are marked 352 on the front. Except for some possible industrial and marine versions; seems Ford dropped this engine in 1965. The newest you could get is a 44 year old engine.

Yes; Edelbrock makes an aluminum head that may fit this engine (they don’t list the 352; just 390, 427, and 428). The head will support 400 HP easily (but won’t make it with the 2 bbl carburetor and old camshaft); the 352 rod bolts won’t support 400 HP. At $1200 bare for the heads; and probably close to $1500 - $2000 complete (plus some money for rods that will last); you’d be a long way towards a stroker kit for a 351.

In the late 60’s it might have been a cheap engine to build. Used FE parts will be at a premium compared to 351 W parts. Lots of people buying them for the Cobra kit they’ll never build; and every seller knows their parts came from a real Cobra.

Unless you have someone paying you to take a 352; you’d be better off with the 351 W or a 390/428 if you must have an FE motor.
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-19-2009 at 1:01pm
I concur, I can't see going back 4 generations in ford v8 design just for economics,

Unless you already had one in a boat, and into nostalgia, i don't see the point.

There are better methods to get big ford hp cheap, and with less weight.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-19-2009 at 5:24pm
I am into nostalgia and the engine is in the boat. It sounded too easy and good to be that simple or true. There seems to be more marine 352s around than 390s, although they are fairly rare compared to Chryslers and small block Fords. My part of the world is definately Chevy country and very few people know or even want to talk about Fords. I appreciate the info

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joe_schindler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-20-2009 at 1:37am
I’m a fan of both nostalgia and Fords; but I think you’d be ahead with a 390 if you’re looking for more power; and it would look the same as the 352.

Purely economically; you could buy the aluminum heads for the 352/390; or just get a 351 and lose 100 pounds.

There’s a lot of ways to go on this; but you’re the one that has to be happy with it in the end.

Good luck,

Joe
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-20-2009 at 1:46am
Originally posted by joe_schindler joe_schindler wrote:

Ford dropped this engine in 1965. The newest you could get is a 44 year old engine.

I'm no engine guy, but my 68 Ford pickup was equipped from the factory with a 352. BKH
Livin' the Dream

davidg View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-20-2009 at 2:05am
I am also a big fan of the FE motors. I have had several through the years, and rebuilt a 360 that was in my '70 F250 Camper Special.

Not that it matters all that much, but, it makes for fun debate. If I am not mistaken, the '65 F-100 was the first year to get the 352, AND the Twin I-Beam suspension.   

I believe the 352 ran through the '67 model year in trucks. The '67 was the new body style also. In '68, Ford introduced the 360 as the std. truck motor replacing the 352. I don't think (but could be wrong) the 352 was available that year. It was basically the 352 block with a 390 crank. The 390 also was an option. The FE was in production in the cars through the '71 model year, and in the trucks through the '76 model year.

I say go for the performance FE. You may have more trouble finding parts, and they may be more expensive, but, it would be one cool project.

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-20-2009 at 11:11am
Originally posted by GottaSki GottaSki wrote:

I concur, I can't see going back 4 generations in ford v8 design just for economics,

Unless you already had one in a boat, and into nostalgia, i don't see the point.

Speaking of points, it's a 7 point mandatory ACBS deduction!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joe_schindler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-20-2009 at 12:40pm
Originally posted by bkhallpass bkhallpass wrote:

Ford dropped this engine in 1965. The newest you could get is a 44 year old engine.

I'm no engine guy, but my 68 Ford pickup was equipped from the factory with a 352. BKH

I stand corrected. I looked in an old Motor Manual last night; and Ford dropped the 352 from the car line at the end of 1966. Light trucks usually drag a couple of years behind; so 1968 sounds right for them. I don’t recall ever seeing one in a 1969 or newer pickup. I have never seen the 352 used as an FT (1 Ton and above) engine. As a replacement supply of engines is necessary for warranty work; 352’s could have been had for several years new from Ford or a marine or industrial engine converter; and rebuilt engines are probably available today.

So; you could easily find a 352 engine that has only been in service for as little as 40 years. My concern wouldn’t be so much for when they stopped making them as for when they went from 11/32” rod bolts to the 3/8” bolts; and if they were in my engine. The 11/32” bolts were a little lax in their job of holding heavy pistons and rods on to the crankshaft.

The 352 gets the unfortunate romance factor from the crafty decal folks at Ford that came up with the “352 Police Interceptor” stickers. That’s probably why the 352 competed so well against the 426 Wedge and the 421 Pontiac engines of the era. There is also the problem of most every FE engine sporting the 352 casting number on the front of the block; leading most to demand that the engine is obviously a 352 CID engine. It’s a nice ploy if you’re looking to pass your 428 for something smaller.

Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Originally posted by GottaSki GottaSki wrote:

How many points deducted for the aluminum heads?

So; you have to decide if you’re building it for your own enjoyment; or for someone else to enjoy when they look at it.

Either way; if I were going to build a FE block engine; I’d start with a 390 or 428; and just point to the 352 casting number if someone asked what it is. The aluminum heads could be a little harder to explain.
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-20-2009 at 12:51pm
BTW Only 7500 miles on this 66' 352..its NOT available
still has the original shocks.

"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-20-2009 at 1:02pm

So; you have to decide if you’re building it for your own enjoyment; or for someone else to enjoy when they look at it.

Either way; if I were going to build a FE block engine; I’d start with a 390 or 428; and just point to the 352 casting number if someone asked what it is. The aluminum heads could be a little harder to explain.

With a engine, is basically comes down to looking the same. This requires the judge to be very knowlegable about the particular engine. If it came down to a tie between two boats, it's common to bring in other judges and do a up close inspection. If aluminum heads were spotted and they weren't original then point(s)would be deducted. Internals that can't be seen do not get a point deduction. A good example would be a 283 rebuilt with a 350 block.

Keep in mind we are talking about older boats that are eligible to be judged. Currently the year is up to 1975 inclusive.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
70CC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70CC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-20-2009 at 6:06pm

I'm putting an FE back into my 63 Ski Nautique - the original engine (352) is gone but the trans and bell housing came with the boat when I bought it. I'll be up-sizing to a 390, I figured for the extra weight and size, I might as well get more HP out of it.

I have two issues to deal with before I start putting my FE together:

1. Crank - the used marine engine that I purchased was rebuilt some time in the past with a std rotation crank. The main issue here is the wick lines for the rear rope seal are cut in the wrong direction for a reverse rotation engine - I have heard that these can be polished out and a neoprene rear seal will work just fine - true?

2. Cam - The original reverse rotation (solid lifter) cam is shot. Can you get a custom ground reverse rotation cam with the correct dist gear or should I have my worn out one re-ground? I have a block that is drilled for hydraulic lifters. Can a cam be re-ground to a hydraulic profile?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joe_schindler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-21-2009 at 4:50pm

With a engine, is basically comes down to looking the same. This requires the judge to be very knowlegable about the particular engine. If it came down to a tie between two boats, it's common to bring in other judges and do a up close inspection. If aluminum heads were spotted and they weren't original then point(s)would be deducted. Internals that can't be seen do not get a point deduction. A good example would be a 283 rebuilt with a 350 block.

Keep in mind we are talking about older boats that are eligible to be judged. Currently the year is up to 1975 inclusive.

Knowledgeable judges are important if you're going to show something. Most people don’t know or won’t bother looking for the differences between a 283 and 350, or even a 400 block. Sometimes makes for a lot of hard feelings later on.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joe_schindler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-21-2009 at 4:50pm
Originally posted by 70CC 70CC wrote:

I'm putting an FE back into my 63 Ski Nautique - the original engine (352) is gone but the trans and bell housing came with the boat when I bought it. I'll be up-sizing to a 390, I figured for the extra weight and size, I might as well get more HP out of it.

I have two issues to deal with before I start putting my FE together:

1. Crank - the used marine engine that I purchased was rebuilt some time in the past with a std rotation crank. The main issue here is the wick lines for the rear rope seal are cut in the wrong direction for a reverse rotation engine - I have heard that these can be polished out and a neoprene rear seal will work just fine - true?

2. Cam - The original reverse rotation (solid lifter) cam is shot. Can you get a custom ground reverse rotation cam with the correct dist gear or should I have my worn out one re-ground? I have a block that is drilled for hydraulic lifters. Can a cam be re-ground to a hydraulic profile?

1 A good machinist should be able to help you with this. I don’t expect that the average rebuild shop would know what you are talking about.

2 I think it was a trick with gears rather than cam (but it’s been a long time since I had one open). If so; you should be able to find a cam that will work.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-22-2009 at 12:14am
I was on Holman Moody's web site and they do rebuilds. I don't know what they charge, but it's probably worth it.

I'm beginning to think a stock 352 is probably a good way to go.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joe_schindler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-22-2009 at 3:34am
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

I was on Holman Moody's web site and they do rebuilds. I don't know what they charge, but it's probably worth it.

Keep us posted to what you find out from Holman-Moody. I'd like to see how that works out.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-26-2009 at 3:38pm

Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

Keep us posted to what you find out from Holman-Moody. I'd like to see how that works out.

ReidP would be the one to talk to about this. I believe H-M rebuilt the 390 in his Classic.
jouliata View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jouliata Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2010 at 6:55pm
i have a ford engine we try to strat it it seems it is blocked so any idea can any one hep and send me some links for sapre parts where i can buy it is ford casco or pcm i am not sure what is the mark but sure it is ford
habib el hayek
lebanon
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2010 at 9:58pm
Habib,
Do you have a mechanic that can look at the engine to determine the possible problems? Parts come from different sources so if we know what you are looking for we may be able to help.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-25-2010 at 4:57pm
Habib..get some pictures uploaded in order to identify you engine. Most likely you have a 351W Ford engine.
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
jouliata View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jouliata Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-25-2010 at 6:42pm
rhank you very much for your support a freind of mine come today and we take off the moteur it is disaster so when i call spare parts dealer he said it cost me here at least 800 $ of parts so idecide to change the block of the motor with new one so we will keep in touch thx
habib el hayek
lebanon
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-25-2010 at 6:51pm
I don´t see the reason for changing the block unless its cracked or heavily rusted...tell what were the findings when you removed the engine? water in the oil? rust?
What part where you quoted that need to be replaced?
try to give as much info as you can so we can guide you..
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic