Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Ballast Resistor

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
snipe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snipe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ballast Resistor
    Posted: September-16-2009 at 12:30pm
What is the criteria for the "Ballast Resistor" on the Ford 351 PCM engine in a 1980 CC?
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2009 at 1:58pm
What are you doing with the ballast resistor?
snipe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snipe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2009 at 2:02pm
Nothing. From what I hear it is a good idea to have a spare one 'cause some tell me they are prone to fail. The boat is up north and I wanted to pick one up before going up.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2009 at 2:32pm
I think the coil wants something like 1.5 ohm so you need to supplement what resistance it has (if any) with a ballast resistor. I'm thinking you'll need .7-.8 ohm stock replacement but don't quote me, you really should just measure what you have.
WakeSlayer View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2009 at 2:34pm
I always thought a ballast resistor was a slalom purist that hates wakesurfers, but secretly wants to learn.
Mike N

1968 Mustang

behindpropeller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2009 at 2:39pm
Originally posted by snipe snipe wrote:

Nothing. From what I hear it is a good idea to have a spare one 'cause some tell me they are prone to fail. The boat is up north and I wanted to pick one up before going up.

Do you have electronic ignition? You take it out when you put in electronic ignition, FYI.

Tim

snipe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snipe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2009 at 2:40pm
Thanks Hollywood.........
You have a point Wake Slayer.......
snipe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snipe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2009 at 2:42pm
behindropeller
No, i'm using points
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2009 at 3:28pm
Originally posted by snipe snipe wrote:

behindropeller
No, i'm using points

Give me your address. I have box of new points I will give you.

Tim

snipe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snipe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2009 at 3:34pm
shoot me an e-mail
Thanks
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2009 at 3:35pm
Originally posted by behindpropeller behindpropeller wrote:

Do you have electronic ignition? You take it out when you put in electronic ignition, FYI.
Tim

Hmm.   I still have one on the Mustang with the 289RH Interceptor, and as I recall, it did not want to run properly without it. I have a Mallory YLM512DV, and this Mallory 12v hi output coil 9-29716.    
I thought in this instance the instructions said that that particular coil wanted a resistor.

Can you explain this to me?
Mike N

1968 Mustang

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2009 at 3:40pm
Originally posted by WakeSlayer WakeSlayer wrote:

Tim

Hmm.   I still have one on the Mustang with the 289RH Interceptor, and as I recall, it did not want to run properly without it. I have a Mallory YLM512DV, and this Mallory 12v hi output coil 9-29716.    
I thought in this instance the instructions said that that particular coil wanted a resistor.

Can you explain this to me?

87+ need the ballast resistor
86 and prior do not need the ballast resistor.

I have no clue why!

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2009 at 6:38pm

I have no clue why!

This is a dangerous blanket statement! You should always read the instructions when installing an EI kit. Not all are created equal- there are several different types (magnetic, optical) and many different brands (Pertronix, Prestolite, Mallory). The optical kits seem to still require the resistor, many others have you eliminate it- but I would highly recommend following the instructions provided with each specific kit!
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2009 at 6:41pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

I have no clue why!

This is a dangerous blanket statement! You should always read the instructions when installing an EI kit. Not all are created equal- there are several different types (magnetic, optical) and many different brands (Pertronix, Prestolite, Mallory). The optical kits seem to still require the resistor, many others have you eliminate it- but I would highly recommend following the instructions provided with each specific kit!

Correct....that is just the generic kits off of skidim.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-17-2009 at 12:03pm
I thought it was also partly coil driven.   My coil said it requires the ballast resistor.
Mike N

1968 Mustang

lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-17-2009 at 12:23pm
With electronic ignitions some will require a ballast resistor to drop the voltage down from 12 Volts others will not.(read the instructions)You may damage the electronics if you supply 12volts to the unit when it was only requiring say 6 volts.

With points supplying 12volts should make starting easier but the points will not last very long and the coil may run hot also. The ballast resistor reduces the voltage to the points this reduction in potential difference helps minimize arcing across the points. The coil required will also vary depending on the ballast resistor. It is the voltage divider theory as the coils also have a small resistance.

i.e. If the ballast resistor was 1 ohm and the coil had a resistance of 1 ohm you would have 6 volts supplied to the coil.

The condensor (capacitor) in the distributor is also used to reduce arcing across the points.
If you're going through hell, keep going

89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta
Fibersport View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fibersport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2009 at 2:21am
Just to clarify a bit, the ballast resistor is wired into the run circuit of the ignition switch only, so when starting the engine, a full 12 volts goes to the points. After the engine starts, the key is turned to the run position and the ballast resistor does it's job as Lewy2001 said.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2009 at 9:18am
Originally posted by Fibersport Fibersport wrote:

Just to clarify a bit, the ballast resistor is wired into the run circuit of the ignition switch only, so when starting the engine, a full 12 volts goes to the points. After the engine starts, the key is turned to the run position and the ballast resistor does it's job as Lewy2001 said.

Not at all true!! Depends on what marinized engine you have. What boat/engine do you have? Not all are the same!!! Since your screen name is "Fibersport", I have to assume it's a older Century. Chrysler?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Brady View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2009 at 9:23am
Back to your original question, the failure rate for ballast resistors is quite low, I wouldn't worry about having a spare.
Charlie
Three Lakes, Wisconsin
69 Barracuda
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fibersport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2009 at 10:37am
Well you're right and wrong, yes it's an older Century (didn't think many knew of the Fibersport), it has a Chris 327F in it. The original Gray was taken out and put in something else. So enlighten me on where I am wrong - I know Chrysler automotive had some odd starting circuits but I thought Ford and GM were all straight forward.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2009 at 10:56am
Greg,
The Chris V8's had the ballast bypass on the start. The old flat heads did not. Some of the Chryslers did too as well as the some of the V8 Grays. PCM does not use the bypass and Indmars do. I do not know why some used the system while others didn't. Probably was the ignition manufacturer/system used??

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
C-Bass View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2009 at 12:07pm
I can verify for Pete that my engine (PCM 454) did NOT have the ballast resistor bypassed for the starting circuit in its stock form. However, I have since wired up a starting circuit bypass so that the full 12v is seen during the start.
Craig
67 SN
73 SN
99 Sport
85SN
davee40 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davee40 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2009 at 12:26pm
unless your having a voltage problem why would you think you needed an extra ballast resistor ?
davee40
lakeland,fl
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fibersport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2009 at 12:36am
I believe that GM, in their car engines, used a resistor wire to accomplish the same thing as the ceramic block. If the flat heads didn't use the resistor, perhaps they may have been 6 volt ???

A bit off topic, I've been hiding my non-CC boat status, but I think this forum is great, many things are applicable and everyone seems to be very helpful.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2009 at 11:21am

If the flat heads didn't use the resistor, perhaps they may have been 6 volt ???

A bit off topic, I've been hiding my non-CC boat status, but I think this forum is great, many things are applicable and everyone seems to be very helpful.

Yes, I actually feel it was the conversion from the 6 volt to the 12 volt that created the ballast resistor! Same ignition system with just the addition of the resistance!!

Don't worry about being a non CC owner. We have plenty here than come to the site due to it's being a fantastic resource with lots of helpful and knowledgeable members. Plenty of MC owners too!!!! BTW, we did identify a MC owner in "hiding" when he brought up the ballast by pass. The MC's use a Indmar with the by pass and as mentioned the PCM's don't. It didn't take us long to catch on he was a MC owner!!!

Greg,
How did you end up with the Chris 327 in the boat? Was it just available? What happened to the Gray? Was it the 327 AMC?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2009 at 11:23am

The first step is admitting you have a problem....

Just kidding. Anyone is welcome. Great place to get info and help on these boats. Lots will apply to your boats too. Your secret wasn't so well kept with your screen name, Pete knows all these old boats, not nearly limited to Correct Crafts.
Stick around, you may end up with one!!
Mike N

1968 Mustang

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fibersport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2009 at 1:03pm
The privious owner of the boat had both the Century and a Chris, the Chris needed an engine which was donated by the Century, I don't know the details of why he swapped it. When I bought the boat, it had a Chris 283 flywheel forward in pieces in it. I built that up to a 350 but had spinning damper problems so I looked around and found the 327 for the right price. The original was a 327 AMC.

I've enjoyed reading the posts on the forum, many good topics and ideas that I could use on my boat. I've already decided if I ever "upgrade", it would have to seriously consider a Nautique. They're more plentiful than the older Centuries and are still in business making the same type of boats they did years ago.

You guys are really into detective work, I'll have to be careful what I say .......
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic