Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Running Hot - 1986 Martinique w/PCM 351

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Rglover View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rglover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Running Hot - 1986 Martinique w/PCM 351
    Posted: August-23-2009 at 10:38pm
Yesterday while idling at the dock waiting on the trailer my engine ran hot. Got up to around 200. I idled it up to around 1800 and it would cool down but if I let it idle again it would start to heat up again. I checked the impeller today and it looks good. Running in the driveway 15-20 minutes it did not get above 150. Does this sound like it's possibly the thermostat? I am also thinking it's possible I sucked up something in the intake too. But,if it's possibly the thermostat I want to go ahead and get one so if it happens again it doesn't ruin the whole weekend. Also, I remember when I was I kid we had a ford truck. If it ran hot Dad would pull the thermostat until we could get somewhere and get one. Can you do the same thing with these boats?
almabes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote almabes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2009 at 12:42am
Robby,

Beautiful boat. Our family has a '76 Martinique, and we love it. But back to your issue. I would suggest replacing the impeller in the raw water pump. The RWP has to suck water out of the lake, as opposed to having the water forced in by running on the hose.

Since your boat ran at 150 degrees in the driveway, I wouldn't suspect the thermostat right now.

Try taking the water uptake hose off at the transmission cooler and running some 1" hose to a 5 gallon bucket with water in it and see how quickly the RWP empties the bucket. It shouldn't take it very long. I don't know the exact figure, but not long.

We live in Acworth...pretty close to you.

Thanks,

Anthony   
favorite computer wisdom: net helpmsg 4006
'76 Martinique PCM 351W
bill1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bill1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2009 at 12:59am
i agree with anthony above. replacing the impeller should do it.
bill
Rglover View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rglover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2009 at 9:22am
Thanks for the replies and compliment. I actually took the impeller out and looked at it before posting yesterday. It looked great. It was new this spring. The way I run it in the driveway it has to pull water. I think I may get the thermostat just to have in case. Maybe it's a little sticky? If so, it will get worse over time.
oledawg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oledawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2009 at 11:22am
skidim.com ( Discount Marine ) is the place to get a thermostat. Think the last one I bought for my 454 was about $50
"To profit from good advice requires more wisdom than to give it"
Rglover View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rglover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2009 at 11:43am
Anthony,

Do you guys hang out on Allatoona? If so, where? We are usually up around Little River. I will look for you.
WakeSlayer View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2009 at 2:03pm
take a 5/16" nut driver and go through ALL of your hose clamps. That will probably be your problem. Leaks cause the temp to rise. I go through mine every year, and there are always a couple that have loosened or stretched a bit.
Mike N

1968 Mustang

oledawg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oledawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2009 at 2:16pm
By the way, I have done the same thing with a car, pulled the thermostat until I could figure out the problem. Only downside was that that it ran to the cool side then, ie never really warmed up to normal temp. Don't think it hurts anything, just doesn't help you find the real issue.
"To profit from good advice requires more wisdom than to give it"
77stang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 77stang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2009 at 2:46pm
you really need to check to see if there is any debris clogged in you oil cooler. i think you've already determined that its most likely not the impeller or the thermostat.

to check your cooler simply disconnect both water hoses and take look inside the intake side of your cooler and if you see debris flush it out.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2009 at 4:22pm
Originally posted by WakeSlayer WakeSlayer wrote:

take a 5/16" nut driver and go through ALL of your hose clamps. That will probably be your problem. Leaks cause the temp to rise. I go through mine every year, and there are always a couple that have loosened or stretched a bit.

Mike nailed it. Also check your strainer to be sure the bowl is on TIGHT.

Overheating at speed = bad impeller, blockage in the cooling system or RWP is drawing air past the seal (increases with RPM).

Overheating at idle = air leak in the cooling lines between the hull pickup and RWP.

Your case is the latter. The RWP is able to overcome the small air leak at higher RPM's since it is moving much more water. Replacing the impeller or t'stat isnt going to help a darned thing.
Rglover View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rglover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2009 at 5:40pm
Thanks for the info guys. Will check all the fittings today. Also, Tim I want to give you props for the water hook up plumbing list you put on another post. I was a dummy and spent (wasted) the money on the Perko flush this winter. This weekend the motor cover got dropped while the hose was hooked up and the Perko broke. I looked up your post, went to Lowes and fixed a new hose hook up for $13.00.

This could also explain why I have an air leak. My helpers (people wanting to ski) might not have got everything tight Saturday morning.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2009 at 5:47pm
Thats a good possibility. Also make sure that valve is closed!
almabes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote almabes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2009 at 11:40pm
Originally posted by Rglover Rglover wrote:

Anthony,

Do you guys hang out on Allatoona? If so, where? We are usually up around Little River. I will look for you.

We put in at Payne campground. Little river is not terribly far; about 20 minutes at 2700 RPM...
'76 Martinique PCM 351W
COASTALJJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote COASTALJJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2009 at 2:33pm
I have a 92 Ski Nautique with Ford PCM 351. I had a similar issue and replaced the thermostat with a 142 degree thermostat and switched the impeller just to make sure. The impeller looked good, but only cost about $22. Check out www.whitelake.com. They have very reasonable prices and ship right away.

Good Luck!
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2009 at 2:51pm
Originally posted by almabes almabes wrote:

Originally posted by Rglover Rglover wrote:

Anthony,

We put in at Payne campground. Little river is not terribly far; about 20 minutes at 2700 RPM...

How to you drive a boat across land at only 2700 rpms?

I guess Little River is like main street; many lakes have that name. I live on Little River, but it's on Lanier.
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
almabes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote almabes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2009 at 12:31pm
Originally posted by BuffaloBFN BuffaloBFN wrote:

How to you drive a boat across land at only 2700 rpms?

I guess Little River is like main street; many lakes have that name. I live on Little River, but it's on Lanier.

2700 RPMs would be haulin' some serious butt in the Durango...I could probably make it from Acworth to Gainesville in 20 minutes!

Seriously though, I'd like to have a beer with you one of these days.
'76 Martinique PCM 351W
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic