Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

OMC 250 (chevy 350) cooling System

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
almabes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote almabes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2009 at 12:18am
Originally posted by jdmack0208 jdmack0208 wrote:

... I will leave it the way he had it only with a 160 degree t-stat installed and run it on the hose for a while at idle. If the t-stat opens up and the motor cools then it should be good to go once I get the impeller in the mail. ....

Unless I am mistaken, raw water cooled GMs run a 145 degree thermostat. with a 160 the motor will get too hot.

favorite computer wisdom: net helpmsg 4006
'76 Martinique PCM 351W
almabes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote almabes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2009 at 12:39am
From what I see at various purveyors of OMC parts, I am, indeed mistaken. 160 degrees is the appropriate temperature thermostat.
'76 Martinique PCM 351W
jdmack0208 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdmack0208 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2009 at 12:41am
Cool, thanks....I will let you guys know what I come up with tomorrow. I will take the laptop out there with me and update this thread.
almabes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote almabes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2009 at 12:42am
Oh no...I'm working from home tomorrow...I guess that means I'm really checking this thread tomorrow.

Good luck.

I've learned more about OMC inboards than I've ever thought I would.
'76 Martinique PCM 351W
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdmack0208 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2009 at 12:44am
Well on a positive not, the boat ran strong until it overheated. No more bogging out. It never planed out though, what would be the reason for that? Speed?
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdmack0208 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2009 at 12:49am
Don't worry though I have plenty of other stuff to fix(tach, speedo, depth gauge etc...)so plenty more threads coming and you'll learn a lot more!
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2009 at 10:13am
im taking my camera today and will snap a pic of a similar omc, it should give a general idea of hose routing
"the things you own will start to own you"
almabes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote almabes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2009 at 4:01pm
OMC:
Obviously More Complicated?
'76 Martinique PCM 351W
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2009 at 6:03pm
       OMC
Other Motor Company
almabes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote almabes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2009 at 10:08pm
OMC:
Only More Confusion!
'76 Martinique PCM 351W
almabes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote almabes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2009 at 4:51pm
Josh,

Any luck running her on the hose?
'76 Martinique PCM 351W
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdmack0208 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2009 at 11:22pm
I have all the thermostat and gasket but I got off work late last night and today it is raining so maybe I will get them in tomorrow.
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2009 at 10:24am
I looked and it doesnt have half of the hoses you have. i dont think it will help
"the things you own will start to own you"
almabes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote almabes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2009 at 12:13pm
I have sent an e-mail to a marine mechanic friend of mine, and asked him to take a look at the pictures.

Hopefully he can help figure out the plumbing.
'76 Martinique PCM 351W
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdmack0208 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2009 at 12:45am
Ok here is the link to the manifolds I have, the file is a PDF and I don't know how to post it.

http://barrmarine.net/wordpress/omc-v8-4/

And here is the link to the risers:

http://www.oscomotors.com/catalog/catalog31.asp

It doesn't say anything about closed cooling system. I don't know, it won't stop raining here for me to get out there and hook everything up.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdmack0208 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2009 at 12:47am
This is what I got from the guy that the guy I bought the boat from got it from(say that three times fast!) Not much help but at least he cares enough to email me back.

"Hey I believe there were 2 holes on the front of the old manifolds and the hoses went to the thermostat. I assume a newer style is being used now as the old one is no longer being made. You will probably have to get a different thermostat housing. Go to correct craft fan site and ask for a picture or to the manufaxcturer of the new system and ask for a thermo. matching the one you are using."
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2009 at 2:43am
CorrectCraftParts has a set of used OMC late style manifolds for sale. Call Karen for prices and shipping. These are not after market fit all manifolds, but the real deal. 1-318-299-8547
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdmack0208 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2009 at 4:19pm
Ok so the boat is running on the hose, did not heat up and I left it running at idol for 20 minutes. Water is coming out of the exhaust as it should. The manifolds fluctuated from warm to cool, I don't know if that is normal or not. I am gonna have to buy a new t-stat housing because I couldn't seem to get the crack completely sealed. Gonna throw some more permatex on it and see if I can get is controlled. Of course the JB weld didn't hold once I tightened down the bolts. Researching the t-stat housing now.
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2009 at 9:59pm
I'm glad you figured it out!!
Now, I think you can do well with any chevy 350 housing, just that you might have to cover all those holes on your manifolds!

by the way, how did you do it?
almabes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote almabes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2009 at 9:39pm
Between Josh, myself and marine mechanic friend of mine we determined that four of those holes were extra, and basiclly adding confusion instead of helping cool the engine. They're probably there to accomodate a closed cooling system. Josh plugged all the extra holes in the manifolds with 3/4" NPT pipe plugs. It's more like the raw water colled PCM center rise pyramid setup now.
'76 Martinique PCM 351W
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic