Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Ignition switch - 82 Ski Nautique

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
mustang65 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mustang65 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ignition switch - 82 Ski Nautique
    Posted: August-01-2009 at 10:16pm
After skiing and wakeboarding today shut the boat off and went to restart after about an hour of sitting. Turned the ignition key and nothing happened. After moving the throttle back and forth several times with the ignition switch held in the start position I finally got it to engage. Is there an adjustment in the throttle for the neutral switch??? Or, do I have another issue somewhere else? thanks
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-01-2009 at 10:42pm
You better get the volt ohm meter out and check to see where you're loosing the power. However, you saying by moving the throttle back and forth, it does sound like the NSS (neutral safety switch). You can check your shift cable adjustments and when in neutral, you should have continuity (switch closed) through the NSS. Being a 68, the NSS may have a adjustment as well.

If you don't have a VOM you can't get a cheap one for about $20 to $25 at the hardware. They come with instructions for the basics. Great for around the house too when the outlet doesn't have any power and you need to trace it back to where the problem is.

I always promote testing first before becoming just a "parts changer"

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-01-2009 at 11:04pm
Here's a electrical digram that is appropriate for you 68. It however doesn't show the NSS. It would be in the white wire running from the ignition switch to the starter solenoid (relay).

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-01-2009 at 11:44pm
Hey Pete,

I think maybe you should test your glasses He said he's dealing with an 82 Ski Nautique.

BKH
Livin' the Dream

Clew In View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clew In Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2009 at 12:11am
Hey,

I have an 82 2001 and for the last year had starting problems. Sometimes I would turn the key and no contact. I would move the throttle back and forth and it would fire up most; however, it was not the throttle making it fire. After I changed the neutral safety switch problem was gone.

You can bypass the neutral safety switch (connect the wires together) and see if it fire up.

Clew In
Clew In
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2009 at 12:23am
Originally posted by bkhallpass bkhallpass wrote:

Hey Pete,

I think maybe you should test your glasses He said he's dealing with an 82 Ski Nautique.

BKH

Brian,
Wow yes I do need to see the eye doc but it's been a long week for me at work too. 86.4 hours in 6 days!

I was looking at his screen name and not the threads title. I screwed that up too with the screen name being 65 and my saying 68.

Well, in any case, it's still the white wire that goes to the NSS.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
blink View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-05-2009 at 12:22am
I had the same problem awhile back with sanity's boat( used to be mine ) It is also a 1982 ,if you don't have any luck with the neutral safty switch ,try putting a new starter solenoid ,I found out the hard way and changed every thing key switch ,finally the solenoid did the trick the sloenoid are pretty cheap around 20 bucks and a whole lot easier to change than the ignition switch, good luck
BTW looks like I lost my 82-2001 to sanity
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-05-2009 at 1:16am
Blink - I heard that if you play a country record backwards you get your truck, house, & dog back - maybe it works for boats too!
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
sanity View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-07-2009 at 11:40am
I'll take you fer a ride on my Big Green Tractor........
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-07-2009 at 8:49pm
Hi Michelle - Did you get your gel project wrapped up?
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
mustang65 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mustang65 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2009 at 1:51am
Installed new ignition key switch. Seemed to help the problem. Only had 1 no start out of 15 during my last outing. Wiggled the throttle and it engaged.

Does anyone have the wiring diagram for an 82 ski nautique? Also, where would be a good place to find proper voltages at the key test points? Thanks
dwcar View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwcar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2009 at 2:18am
Mustang, maybe these will help?

83Ski
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic