NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

how big is my wood?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
STANG KILLA SS View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote STANG KILLA SS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: how big is my wood?
    Posted: June-30-2009 at 12:47pm
lol
(82 SN2001)
im getting ready to install some simple single screw, hanging cup holders.

what im needing to know is how thick the wood is on the sides of the boat. that are on edge standing vertically. basically so i know how deep of a pilot hole and screw length to use. also is there an air gap between the wood and hull? just dont want to put a screw threw the side of the outer hull
anyone know how thick that side wood is?

many thanks
Cory
'82 SN2001
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2009 at 2:25pm
What wood are you talking about? A picture would help. There was no wood on the insides of the gunnels in any of my boats.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote STANG KILLA SS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2009 at 2:43pm
i assume its wood.
on the sides. hard to see here because of the shadows.

heres another, upper left corner

'82 SN2001
C-Bass View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2009 at 5:33pm
So thin, you can't even see it. I think what you'll find behind that carpet is fiberglass, no wood.
Craig
67 SN
73 SN
99 Sport
85SN
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote STANG KILLA SS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2009 at 5:55pm
gotcha, if its not wood and its fiberglass, is there an inner and outer hull?
and if so is there an air gap? again for pilot hole safety and screw length.
'82 SN2001
C-Bass View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2009 at 6:02pm
Not sure on the thickness, so I'll let someone else take the responsibility for a hole thru the side of your boat
Craig
67 SN
73 SN
99 Sport
85SN
nick85sn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick85sn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2009 at 6:31pm
No on inner and outer hull, I don't recommend drilling any holes there.
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2009 at 6:44pm
There is no wood there, the hull is to thin for screws.
DO NOT DRILL THERE!!!
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote STANG KILLA SS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2009 at 7:34pm
thanks for the confermation. ill have to do something else. thanks guys. you experts know these boats inside and out.
'82 SN2001
drduck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drduck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2009 at 10:10pm
If there is any surface area to the mounting pad, you could use 3M 5200 to adhere it to the gunwale. If there isn't enough surface on the cup holder itself you could mount the cup holder to a nice piece of teak then adhere the teak to the gunwale.................just a suggestion.
What were they thinking!!??
Randy_in_Ohio View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2009 at 1:29am
You DO NOT want to drill there!

I have a cup holder with a suction cup that I sit on top of the gunnel next to the window. The suction cup sticks to the side window. It works pretty well as long as you remember to get the suction cup a little wet first. Better than the cup holder that is mounted on the seat. I wish CC had put a cup holder on the drivers side similar to that on the spotters side.

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2009 at 12:56pm
Randy, all it takes is a hole saw!

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote STANG KILLA SS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2009 at 2:36pm
that suction cup one is nice. my boat has 0 cup holders.

this is close to what i bought, except mine have a hole for a screw.
ill have to cut the top "hook" part off.
4 for $2 lol

'82 SN2001
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2009 at 2:54pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Randy, all it takes is a hole saw!

sorry for the hi jack..
but my question for tim after seeing your morse control pic..just curious on what or why the morse plate has that yellow paint mark on the top? Mine had the same yellow mark on the same place and though it was done by PO..but I see yours, and kinda looks like they came like that...
end of hijack...
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2009 at 3:02pm
Seb, thats a warning decal. I couldnt find a better picture of it- but all the boats of that era seem to have one in that same spot. The newer boats have them on the handle itself.
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2009 at 3:30pm
TTT
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
Randy_in_Ohio View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2009 at 8:27pm
Tim,

I thought about doing that after seeing yours in another post some time ago but never had the guts to take a hole saw to the boat. Besides, Pete wouldn't approve!

I just drink them real fast so they don't get spilled.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic