Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

77 graphics resto update

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
Author
77 nautique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 77 nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 77 graphics resto update
    Posted: June-26-2009 at 12:48am
Well i figured i would post some pics of progress. I want to thank Pete and Tim for making me think twice about not doing the shadow. Very Very glad i did. I also have new Correct Craft emblems on the way from Stan. One little problem i ran into though is the Correct Craft "Since 1925" decals i ordered from Woody at the former Southeast Correct Craft are too small. The origional was 5" wide by 7" tall. Any ideas wher I can locate the larger ones?
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2009 at 10:33am
Jeff,
I have the larger ones! I had to have them reproduced after I ran into the same problem - wouldn't cover up the virgin color of the gel. There's a couple threads on the whole process. You can do a "since 1925" search and read up on it.

I absolutely think the boat is looking fantastic! Yes, that shadow on the graphics sure stands out! Plus, very original!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2009 at 10:41am
Yes that black outline looks awesome and pete gives it the original thumbs up what a bonus.

The trolley boat stands are a piece of work as well.
If you're going through hell, keep going

89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta
Roym View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roym Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2009 at 2:53pm
That really looks good. I need to do the same. What method did you use? Is that painted on or some kind of overlay?

Boat looks new!!
Mark Mel View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2009 at 4:25pm
Wow that came out great, you have any in progress pics? Did you spray the blue or brush?
1978 Nautique

FBook - www.facebook.com/charliedontsurfct
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2009 at 8:39pm
Originally posted by lewy2001 lewy2001 wrote:

Yes that black outline looks awesome and pete gives it the original thumbs up what a bonus.

The trolley boat stands are a piece of work as well.

100% agree with your comments lewy!!!

btw nice shop you got there!!!
<a href="">1992 ski nautique

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 77 nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2009 at 12:50pm
Thanks for the complments. To clean up the gel coat i used On and Off to get rid of the water line stain (best $16 i've ever spent) and used a buffer with 3M marine rubbing compound followed up by the 3M finesse-it glaze. I used Rust-oleum Professional paint bought at Lowes. The blue (V7527 royal blue) was an exact, and i mean EXACT match. The black is gloss black same brand. Both were thined with Toluene eventhough the can says Acetone (Thanks for the tip Pete!). Sprayed the blue, than imediatly after while the paint was still wet, went back through with my $5 Harbor Freight air brush for the shadow. The black melted nicely into the blue. Than imediatly pulled the masking. Pulling the tape as soon as posible is key. The Rust-oleum paint is cheap and easy to work with and very foregiving and best of all...origional. I couldnt be more happy with the results. The biggest piece of advice i can give is take your time masking and use good fine-line tape.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 77 nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2009 at 1:12pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 77 nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2009 at 4:04pm

Roym View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roym Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2009 at 5:30pm
Did you use the larger spray gun for the blue and the air brush for the black?

How did you tape off the white hull to avoid overspray from the blue.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 77 nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2009 at 11:58pm
Roym, yes that was how it was done. As far as tapeing, I used 18" wide masking paper that is made for traceing. It's sold at auto body supply shops and comes in different lengths. I bought two 25' rolls. After you do the fine line around the letters, put the tracing tape over the entire graphic and gently cut on the fine line tape and remove the tape from the letters. For the transom i just used the traceing paper and carefuly cut each letter by hand. If you take your time (and dont have too many beers) you will get excellent results.
Roym View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roym Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2009 at 2:46am
Originally posted by 77 nautique 77 nautique wrote:

Roym, yes that was how it was done. As far as tapeing, I used 18" wide masking paper that is made for traceing. It's sold at auto body supply shops and comes in different lengths. I bought two 25' rolls. After you do the fine line around the letters, put the tracing tape over the entire graphic and gently cut on the fine line tape and remove the tape from the letters. For the transom i just used the traceing paper and carefuly cut each letter by hand. If you take your time (and dont have too many beers) you will get excellent results.

Do I understand right that you fine line tape the letters then put the tracing masking paper over them, then cut out the letters and then remove the fine line tape before painting ??? Does the masking paper stick down to the hull and stay in place??

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 77 nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2009 at 10:57am
No, the fine line stays. The tracing paper does stick. I used it to mask between the letters.
Originally I was going to lay the tracing paper down the entire side of the boat and cut out each letter with an exacto knife (that is how I did the letters on the transom) but I found it impossible to get it to lay flat down the side without wrinkeling because of the way the sides are curved. Plus cutting the large letters with an exacto is easier said than done. Once you have made the cut,that's it. As with the fine line,you can pull it back up if you need and try again and you have more control over your lines. So since I already had the tracing tape, rather than trying to fill in between each letter with regular masking tape or whatever, I used the 18" stuff. Plus it made for quicker removal.
Unfortunatly the pictures I posted came out alittle blurry. If they were more clear you might be able to see it. Its hard though because the paper is almost the same color as the hull.
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2009 at 1:55pm
Jeff,

Very nice job, looks great! My first CC was a 77', exact same color, which I bought back in the mid 80's, we repainted the graphics however back then I was able to get templates/masks from MidWest CC, made the job much easier. We mixed 5 differnet colors going front to back, fading one into the next bow to stern, it turned out really cool.
Roym View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roym Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2009 at 9:52pm
ok tks, I think I know how its done now. I went and bought pretty much the same items and will play with it this week. The masking paper you used looks like white plastic wrap, but I guess it is not plastic.

What was the advantage of thinning with Toluene over using acetone?
dt's76tique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dt's76tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2009 at 10:53pm
that looks great now i want try and do mine!!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2009 at 11:15pm
Originally posted by quinner quinner wrote:

We mixed 5 differnet colors going front to back, fading one into the next bow to stern, it turned out really cool.

A psychedelic Nautique? Dude, That must have been a bitchn', far out, outta sight, tripped out, in the groove boat. Wow man what a trip!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Roym View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roym Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2009 at 12:12am
Gee Pete you sound like your stuck in the 70's. I know I am 1977 CC, 1979 Hydra-sport, and a 1975 vette. Are you wearing your Bell Bottoms and tie dyed shirt?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 77 nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2009 at 12:46am
Roym, toluene evaporates slower than acetone. Gives you more time to work with the paint. Check out a local autobody supply shop for that paper I think you will like it. I'm sure there are better ways but like I said, I had it so i figured I'd use it for something. If I did it again I would do the same thing. I think it worked out well.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 77 nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2009 at 1:20am
Hey Quinner, pimped your boat hua? any pictures? Every now and then I had thoughts of changing the graphics. Jeff at Adarondack marine almost had me convinced to strip it and get some new graphics from a late model Nautique. I kept kooking at the old scrached and faded graphic trying to invision what it would look like re-done. Once I started cleaning up the gel coat and saw the shine that was hideing underneath I fell in love with the origional graphics again. Plus I didnt want to face the wrath of everyone yelling at me caus I didn't keep it origional. Maybe i'm bias but I think it has a real timeless look and the dark blue doesn't scream 70's (sorry Roym )
Do you have plans on going to Lake George again this year? I need someone to teach me how to foot!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 77 nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2009 at 1:30am
Shine baby....Shine!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2009 at 9:47am
Roy,
I'm not stuck in the 70's but I sure remember them! I was just reminding Chris (quinner)! He was there too!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2009 at 3:17pm
Wow. Amazing job, Jeff!

When I get my next 70's Nautique, Im having you do the lettering!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 77 nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2009 at 4:12pm
Hey Tim, Thanks! I'm quite pleased. I may catch some flack over the rope rub rail. Definatly not origional but I think it complements the boat well. I'm hopeing to get my Correct Craft emblems from Stan today or tomorrow. Than the only other thing is to find the right size "since 1925" decal.
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2009 at 4:15pm
Jeff,

I have not been able to locate any pictures after the repaint. The last shade of Blue was almost identical to Alan's (81Nautique) boat, which was the only color used on the stern letters. Also removed the swim ladder and added a teak platform.

Pete,

It was not too psychedelic, used shades of blue mostly, of course today I would never think of such an "un-original" resto for fear of the wrath of Pete, LOL.

Here's a couple pic's of it, top one is Lake Candlewood, CT.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 77 nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2009 at 4:50pm
Dude, nice boat! Love the trailer!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2009 at 5:28pm
Originally posted by 77 nautique 77 nautique wrote:

Hey Tim, Thanks! I'm quite pleased. I may catch some flack over the rope rub rail. Definatly not origional but I think it complements the boat well. I'm hopeing to get my Correct Craft emblems from Stan today or tomorrow. Than the only other thing is to find the right size "since 1925" decal.

Jeff,
You must have missed my post right after you started the thread. I have the decals. Email me with contact info.

BTW, even though the rope rub rail isn't original, it doesn't look all that bad. All the rest of your great work makes up for it!!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 77 nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2009 at 6:15pm
Hey Pete, I did see the post. I e-mailed you the other day by clicking on your avitar and got a reply back that my message delivery was sccuessful. Guess it wasn't hua? I would love to take two of thoes off your hands. Let me know what I owe you and how you would like to arrange payment.
What is your e-mail address?
Thanks, Jeff
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2009 at 6:21pm
Jeff,
It's pbrainard@wistool.com Sorry it didn't go through. I'm still asking $20 each and priority postage. Just get me you mailing address.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2009 at 10:12pm
Jeff,
When you email me, make sure you title it with something like "CC decal" so it's obvious to me. I have a bad habit of deleting good emails along with all the junk that comes in!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
  Share Topic