NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

BF Boom Safety

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234>
Author
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2009 at 12:45pm
Originally posted by lewy2001 lewy2001 wrote:

Once again thanks Tim your explanation of the contour booms clears it up perfectly. Would love to check that sweet looking 90 of yours out sure you won't bring it to Green Lake.

No problem! I dont think the '90 is up for the trip... mostly due to the POS trailer that needs a full restore. Hopefully Ill get to it next year!

harddock View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harddock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2009 at 2:58pm
As for boom safety I have a skylon that I use primarily for teaching kids. It only has a single cable to the bow and a quick realse clamp for the pyoln. I don't think it is as suitable for pulling full size manly men barefoot. The BI with the bolt on base and two cables I think is much stronger. (my$.02)

make damn sure you remember that thing is out there at all times. They really don't like swim ladders (ask me how I know)
Barracuda View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barracuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2009 at 6:05pm
Originally posted by quinner quinner wrote:

Lewy,

If you do need BI parts if I remember correctly they are in Milwaukee, perhaps you could just pick them up while there if possible, or have them shipped to one of us in the states and we can hand them off in Green Lake.

Quinner, FWIW- I called BI a week ago and they said they don't sell direct. Not sure if that is a new policy for them.
They directed me to a local gear shop and provided the part number.

-Brad
WakeSlayer View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2009 at 6:54pm
Tim is right, you will want an extension for your 89. We used to foot a friend of mine's and the spray wall would knock you over on your side when the boat was accelerating and the rider is doing deep starts.
Mike N

1968 Mustang

81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2009 at 11:13pm
Here's a little twist on the BI booms, I have a contour boom on my 81 which you would typically use a straight boom on. I actually mount the contour to the FRONT to get the footer forward away from the spray.   Between that and the 18" extension it gets you up and away pretty good for these old nautiques. I believe the 2001 windshield would allow you to mount a contour in the same fashion as my 81.

Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2009 at 12:50am
I've always wondered how a contour boom would fit forward. Totally not surprised the Magicman has done it already.

Lewy, you'll see our 88 with a straight boom and height adjuster at GL.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2009 at 1:31pm
What side spray?

Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2009 at 1:50pm
Damn, Hollywood that spray looks like it'll kill you. Have you ever BF on a Malibu Sportster? How's their spray?
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2009 at 4:53pm
No I haven't but I don't think it's going to be a problem for you, atleast not to that ^^^^ level. We now have the 18" extension which definitely helps.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2009 at 5:05pm
We'll find out in the coming week. You'd think we might have checked the boat out, but it was put away before Lake George and hasn't gone in the water this year. My sons had a blast BFing on Tim's boat Saturday morning at LG, (that's my oldest son David in the pics Tim posted), and David couldn't wait to buy a boom. He bought the one on the MC site, I think you may have commented on. It was their 2nd time and both got up on the boom.
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2009 at 5:05pm
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

Damn, Hollywood that spray looks like it'll kill you. Have you ever BF on a Malibu Sportster? How's their spray?

No spray issues on the Sporty.
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

WakeSlayer View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2009 at 7:56pm
HW, That video brings back some memories. No surprise that there were no deepwater starts in it.
Swingouts were the only good way to get up till we got an extension.
Mike N

1968 Mustang

lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2009 at 10:36am
Thanks for posting that video Hollywood. The side spray from the 2001 is brutal in that video. Will get a good look at yours at Green Lake which will be a bonus.
Tim are you going to the reunion? I got a email today from a fellow in Perth Australia who is sending me some parts to hand deliver to you at GL.
If you're going through hell, keep going

89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2009 at 10:50am
Tim the dash panels from Dan Arnup in Western Australia turned up in the mail today. There is only one corner hole that has a tiny piece missing. I could repair that with a bit of plastex if you are happy to give it a go.

If you are not attending GL who do you want me to pass them onto??

89 Ski

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2009 at 4:44pm
Lewy, if by chance I dont make it, please pass them off to Hollywood- Ill grab them from him eventually. As it sits right now, I do believe Ill be picking them up in person, though.
harddock View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harddock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2009 at 7:42pm
Not to hijack this thread but TR How do you like your wake board pole? Did you have a zipper door cut into your bimini?
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2009 at 7:55pm
Originally posted by harddock harddock wrote:

Not to hijack this thread but TR How do you like your wake board pole? Did you have a zipper door cut into your bimini?

I love my Fly High- I turned all my footin buddies onto them. Very solid, well built pieces. Love the upwards pull! Mine came with my '90 when I bought it and the bim just has slits cut (and folded over and sewn down) in front and rear for the pole/cables. Works great.
harddock View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harddock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2009 at 11:36pm
Thanks, I put a tower on a 2001 but I can bring myself to mess with the 98.
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-27-2009 at 9:44am
I setup my boom on the boat today and ran into a few problems. I picked up a second hand boom clamp from Dave Peters who was parting out a BFN (thanks Dave). Purchased the height adjuster from BI and fabricated the part of the boom that bolts to the clamp.

I will get a Aluminium one fabricated when I see what works best straight or contour. I made my test one from 4mm wall steam pipe. The outer part of the boom I have Tim identified as a Cassad is 1800mm (6') so I made the inner boom the same length. I have 2400mm (8') of the boom protruding from the edge of the boat. I still seem to have a lot of slack in the boom wires.

Is this because the boom needs to be longer? Can someone with a boom fitted measure their inner & outer boom lengths please? The cables have adjustment in them but no where near enough.

89 Ski

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2009 at 12:38pm
Lewy, looks good! I say adjust the cables as best you can and then tug the boom back until theyre tight. It doesnt have to sit perfectly perpendicular. We ran a Casad on our '88, so Im sure it will work ok on your 2001. The thicker (inner) part of the boom is generally shorter than the outer part- but the extra length will help with the side spray on that hull. I doubt youre too short!
behindpropeller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2009 at 12:55pm
Make sure that nobody in the boat has their fingers near the boom/gunnel. If you pylon has been replaced make sure the pin is in it.

LakeBoy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2009 at 8:00pm
Side spray solutions:

1. You can get a boom extension that adds about 18"

boom extension

2. You can wear goggles. They look lame but better than getting a firehose in your grille!

My only comments on safety are don't go as fast as you think you need to at first with first timers. I am 185 lbs and I can foot right on the boom at 28 MPH.

Also remember you have the boom on at docking time and near other boats. Also when you go back to get your skier, I have seen the rollers come in and smash the boom down onto the water with enough force to bust your melon, so be careful.
Got Foot?
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-29-2009 at 9:47am
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

The thicker (inner) part of the boom is generally shorter than the outer part- but the extra length will help with the side spray on that hull. I doubt youre too short!

That is what I thought and the pictures of the BI straight boom seem to back that up. The only difference is maybe the length of the outer boom varies between the Cassad and BI.

Are they both 1800mm (6')?
I was hoping by making the inner section longer it would do away with the need for the extension.

One of the cables appears to be about 12" longer than the other at the bow eye attachment. I may get them both shortened a bit and that extra 12" removed also. The adjustment would only gain 4" on each cable.

Thanks for your help guys. Lakeboy you have been a inspiration.

89 Ski

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-29-2009 at 11:14am
Originally posted by lewy2001 lewy2001 wrote:

That is what I thought and the pictures of the BI straight boom seem to back that up. The only difference is maybe the length of the outer boom varies between the Cassad and BI.

Are they both 1800mm (6')?
I was hoping by making the inner section longer it would do away with the need for the extension.

One of the cables appears to be about 12" longer than the other at the bow eye attachment. I may get them both shortened a bit and that extra 12" removed also. The adjustment would only gain 4" on each cable.

Lewy, Ive had (actually, have) both and not having lined them up, Id bet that the BI and Casad were the same. Without measuring, Id say the inner portion is closer to 4-5'. Good thinking to make it 6' and negate the need for an extension. The only issue that this creates is the change in angle might make adjusting the cables a little more difficult. BI uses a clamp block that doesnt limit the range (unlike your turnbuckle). You may have to have one or both of the ends re-terminated to get them even and adjusted right.
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-05-2009 at 10:26am
Sorted out the cable lengths with a clamp block type setup.

I know most people just use a throw cushion on the deck to support the boom. I remember a post about this where someone come up with a nice clean solution that also dealt with the angle problem.

Being using the advanced search for over a hour now but can not find it. Does anyone remember what thread it was in?

89 Ski

lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-05-2009 at 11:20am
Found it eventually. Great idea 75 Tique.

Gunnel Saver 6000

89 Ski

kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-21-2010 at 1:49pm
need some advice on the boom..I have this borrowed BI boom..the one that has the s-bend in the first section..wich in my case is good as it allows to mount the clamp lower and I can use both skylon and boom at the same time....but eventually i´ll have to return it to the owner...
now there is one available on the local ebay at a resonable price here about $150..wich is correct considering not much of those are available..only thing it is the one that is straight, like the pictures on lewys post..so someknows if its posible to mount this one and mount the skylon at the same time?
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-21-2010 at 2:01pm
Yes, you will need the "height adjuster" as lewy and TRBenj have shown.

kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-21-2010 at 2:11pm
damn!!! i´m screwed...that part is hard to come here..have that sent from the US will cost as much as the whole used boom...
any advice on alloys in case i can have it machined? but I gues it will cost also some money to do so...gee
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-21-2010 at 2:13pm
A 3/4" wrench is much cheaper. Loosen it and slide it down when you have the extended pylon on, slide it back up and tighten when you are boomin' (skylon off). PITA but certainly affordable!

If you want both on at the same time you gotta pay to play!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234>
  Share Topic