NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Thoughts on a 1993 Sport Nautique

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
Ashley View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ashley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Thoughts on a 1993 Sport Nautique
    Posted: March-29-2009 at 8:00pm
Hey ya'all,

I am new to Correct Craft Fan, and a lady ready to buy her first Correct Craft.

I am looking to purchase a well cared for/babied 1993 21' Sport Nautique, 300 hrs. with a double axle trailer for $10,000.

Good Deal? Thoughts? Feelings? Good year?

Also, I would like to put a tower on it. Any suggestions?

I intend to use it to ski, wake board and mostly air-chair.
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2009 at 8:11pm
Ashley - Welcome to the site. We sure like lady owners.

Assuming it is "well cared for", meaning no major repairs are pending, I would say that is a decent price. Hopefully it is located near you.

Let us know if you pass on it, as someone else here may be interested (but don't worry, we don't buy out from under each other).
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
ryanowen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ryanowen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2009 at 9:53pm
Can't suggest a tower, but the price sounds pretty fair to me. I recently learned that 93 was the first year for composite stringers, so that's a good thing. Any pics of it?
Ashley View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ashley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2009 at 10:19pm
Here's a couple of pics. What do you think?

JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2009 at 10:32pm
Its a nice boat, worth 10k even in this market if its solid and a good runner. In my mind you should go with no less than a   new dimensions tower. For that boat a black one...
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2009 at 11:29pm
That is a nice looking boat. I notice the California Tags. Do you know where the boat was run in CA? I've seen a few listed at a good rate from San Diego, but most boats in San Diego have been run in salt water. BKH
Livin' the Dream

Ashley View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ashley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2009 at 12:30am
The boat is in Utah at a boat storage. One original owner, originally from CA, the bay area I believe. The father died and the sons have hung onto it all these years.

I asked about salt water and he said no.    
Daveinater View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daveinater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2009 at 12:44am
Originally posted by JoeinNY JoeinNY wrote:

Its a nice boat, worth 10k even in this market if its solid and a good runner. In my mind you should go with no less than a   new dimensions tower. For that boat a black one...

I agree with Joe. I have a 1992 Sport and the '93 models had a different construction technique. Nice boats, and the one pictured looks really nice. Peruse the threads to see what kinds of things to look for. As far as the tower is concerned, I did lots of research and finally settled on the best tower: New Dimension. They're using my boat as the pattern boat for '89-'92 Sports and I'm very impressed with their product. It's essentially a duplicate of the factory Flight Control tower.

There are lots of great people on this forum, so post your questions and you're sure to get alot of great answers.

Welcome!
86SN2001 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 86SN2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2009 at 12:53am
I would say that is a very fair deal pending all checks out well mechanically. There is no wood in the structure to worry about. I like the colors and the tandem trailer too!
jimsport93 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimsport93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2009 at 1:55am
Ashley,
That is a super deal! I bought my 93 Sport two years ago and paid considerably more than what you are considering. My boat is fantastic...love it! Your boat appears to be in good shape also. What engine does she have in her?
Check to make sure the motor/block/manifolds are intact (not cracked from freezing!). Also, drive the boat(I would before I would buy it).
I would also tend to believe the history regarding limited or no salt water use, judging by the looks of the trailer. Check carefully for signs of corrosion on the trailer,boat and the engine.
If all checks out...that is a great price.
Not able to comment on the tower. I prefer not to have a tower on mine.
Jimsport93

Ashley View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ashley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2009 at 1:59am
The forum has rocked! I appreciate the comments.

Here is a pic of the engine.

The prop will need replacing. Suggestions?
Ashley View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ashley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2009 at 2:18am
She's mine if I want it.

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimsport93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2009 at 2:18am
Ashley,
Most props can be "re-built" by a prop shop. Repaired and re-balanced. Usually, $100 to $150 (as compared to approx $400 for a new one).
Use Delta Propeller, one of our site sponsors. They have great service.
My 93 came stock with a 14 x 16, 3 blade. And that is what I prefer to spin.
But it depends on what motor you have.
Also, if the prop on your prospective boat is mangled, I would be sure to check the drive shaft and strut (make sure they are not bent).
I would defenitely not test drive the boat with a damaged prop if you want a true accessment of how the boat handles and performs. See if the seller has a spare. Or, work a deal to get the original repaired before a test drive.
Good luck.
Jimsport 93
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimsport93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2009 at 2:25am
Ashley,
That is a very clean boat. Mine also has the Pro Boss engine. It is a very strong motor.
Check everyting out.
If all is well...go for it!
Super price.
Jimsport93
mndanielsncsu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mndanielsncsu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2009 at 11:41pm
I agree that this seems like a great deal. I, like Jim, bought my 93 Sport last year and paid a good bit more than the boat you're looking at. As mentioned before, there is no wood to worry about, which is great. The boat appears to be very clean. I've got an Acme 422 4-blade prop and love it; the hole shot is great.

My boat came with a Monster tower (www.monstertower.com), which is nice, but if it hadn't been there when I bought the boat, I would've definitely gone with the New Dimension tower. They look great on the Nautiques.
Ashley View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ashley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2009 at 1:54am
mndanielsncsu,

I would like to see pics of your 93 with the Monster tower. Sounds like New Dimensions is the way to go.
I would also like ya'all to weigh in on the color of the tower. I know joeinNY suggested black. Definitely black or white don't ya think?

Thanks,
Ashley
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2009 at 2:00am
On that boat, black. BKH
Livin' the Dream

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mndanielsncsu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2009 at 3:53am
I'd definitely go black versus white, especially on that boat. Monster makes a good tower for the price. I just love the Flight Control Towers and New Dimension makes the best replica for the older boats. They're about double the price of a Monster tower though, so something to consider. Monster's website has a "Customer Photo" section to see other Nautique boat/tower combos if you'd like to see more.

Here are a few pics - I also bought the bimini top through monster that you can see on the last 2 pics.

This is when I first got the boat, before adding decals, buffing, etc

Closeup

View from the front

View from the back

kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2009 at 1:15pm
Whats that control on the transom? the perfect pass?
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2009 at 1:25pm
Clarion wired remote for the stereo.

Ashley, what a find! Great looking boat, black tower for sure.
86BFN View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 86BFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2009 at 1:35pm
Ashley, thats a sweet looking boat. Love the colors too! If it were mine I'd have to go with a Black tower. (and remove the Black Swan decals from the back.) JMO
👣 Steve
86 Barefoot Nautique

89 Martinique
Former Owner: 93 Hydrodyne 350 MAG

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mndanielsncsu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2009 at 2:07pm
Kapla - it's the Clarion "puck" as HW mentioned. The company I used to work for owned Clarion so I got a ton of their stuff at a great cost. It's awesome to have if you're hanging out on the platform or chillin in the water and want to adjust the radio volume.
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2009 at 2:38pm
it should match up with tower speaker to make them rock. So you had to drill a hole in the transom for the cable....
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2009 at 2:43pm
Ashley that boat looks awsome... and price well Im not an expert but sounds good for me... down here that boat would cost no less than 30k
If you go for it dont forget to take pics of you with the boat!!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mndanielsncsu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2009 at 3:02pm
Kapla, I did have to drill a hole in the transom. I was pretty nervous doing it, but just measured about 20 times and went for it. Glad I read on here first because I learned alot. Put masking tape around the area to prevent the gel from cracking, run the hole saw in reverse, so when it bites, it doesn't crack the gel, and hold your breath and pray you measured correctly.
Ashley View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ashley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-03-2009 at 2:45am
Did it! Just brought her home to a rain storm At least it's not snowing... not yet anyway.
Next up, tower and some prop repair.

Suggestions on cleaning her up? What cleaners to use and not? Also, on my previous boat I would use vinegar to remove the hard water spots after I rinsed it off from the lake... do ya'all suggest something else?

Ashley
ac505 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac505 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-03-2009 at 7:33am
here's my '97 with a Monster Tower MT2. It doesn't look that great but for me it was way cheaper than a New Dimensions and has the bonus of folding down completely under the cover.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mndanielsncsu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-03-2009 at 12:06pm
Ashley - congrats on the new boat, I'm sure you're going to love it!

As for cleaning supplies, here are a couple I use regularly:

For seats -
Meguiars Vinyl Cleaner or 3M Vinyl Cleaner after each trip to the lake
303 Aerospace Protectant - I use this regularly on the seats. Protects them from drying out and makes them shine.

Oxidation and Buffing -
Meguiars Flagship Premium Marine Wax - does wonders (http://meguiarsdirect.com/detail/MEG+FLAG+16)
3M Finesse It - for deeper oxidation, has a little grit to it so it cuts into the gelcoat a little more

Each time I go out, I usually use some spray-n-wax or quick wax while the boat is still wet to help get the grime off. Don't really have a preferred brand.

Teak Platform - I use the Starbrite Teak Cleaner and Starbrite Teak Oil. It's a 3 step process, but I always just do step 1 and 3.

For the rub rail - I use something made by Black Magic to shine the rubber. I read it was supposed to be better than Armor All. Can't remember the name.

Keep us posted on which tower you decide to go with.

Ashley View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ashley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-04-2009 at 3:40am
Thoughts on window tinting?

I searched the threads & quick search, just to make sure I wasn't a repeat, and really only found bkhallpasses top 10 FAQ.... hilarious. Gosh, I pull my boat with a black Toyota Tundra. Am I going to hell?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mndanielsncsu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-04-2009 at 3:46am
I'm thinking about tinting mine. I've got 35% on my 4Runner and Camry, but am thinking about going 20% on the boat. I'm never out at night, so I don't think visibility will be an issue.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic