Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Canister Muffler

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Pauly-Banana View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauly-Banana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Canister Muffler
    Posted: March-24-2009 at 11:43pm
I thought that many of you might be interested in a muffler conversion that I did many years ago! I added a canister muffler or Vernay style system to my 1983 Ski Nautique. I added the muffler for show team use to cut the noise from the pipes while pulling slower speed show acts. In 1990 I contacted a company in Kentucky that was involved in making the caniter system for the Malibu boats. The canister was smaller than the Correct Craft vernay muffler system that would not fit under my motor box. The owner of the company felt that their muffler would also not work in it's current state because Malibu runs their exhust hose inside the stringers while Correct Craft runs theirs on the outside. The canister muffler side ends also had to be changed to fit in a 1983 motor box. The owner felt that with a combined effort between the two of us that it could be done! I went to Menard's hardware store and purchase some elbow and straight plastic plumming pieces to help create the 90 degree angles needed to go over my stringers. The company in Kentucky would use my glued pieces to help visualized what needed to be completed on their end. We almost had it after one try, but the angle shooting towards the exhaust flaps were pointing too far down! I did some sanding and re-measuring for them and sent the canister back for another try. The third time was the charm! It fit really nicely just above the transmission. Here are some pictures showing what we were able to create.

Picture #1
This shows a front shot of the completed canister after it was returned to me for final installation.

Picture #2
This shows the three redirecting elbows per side that allows the exhaust water pressure to travel over the stringer and along the floor.

Photo #3
This shows a close-up of the exit from the last redirecting elbow.

Photo #4
This shows that it was easily possible to now attach the rubber hose to the canister exit.

Photo #5
Top view of the redirecting elbow!

Photo #6
Picture showing how the canister sitting above the transmission.

The owner from Kentucky and I decided that possibly including the inline mufflers that came with the boat might be too much back pressure on the water system. The result of using my new canister muffler was a real noticeable loss of exhaust noise and also added another special bonus. From the equal back pressure, I was able to gain some horse power. A few experts in the field said that "having equal back pressure you can gain horse power"! In the inline muffler system while idling you have water running out one side than switches to the other side. The canister shoots equal amounts of water and exhaust from both side at the same time while idling. The company in Kentucky did a great job of working with me on this and I will never forget the whole experience. Since that time the company making the canister did go out of business. I thought that some of you might be interested in this topic. Maybe someone else has also added something like a canister. You still might be able to contact Malibu to see what is still avaliable.
19892001Nautique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 19892001Nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2019 at 2:30pm
Is there a reason I can not see these phots?
Slalom - you can surf, jump, trick, wakeboard, barefoot if you want
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2019 at 2:47pm
In one word- Photobucket.   Remember when it was free? Well now they want you the originator of the photo to pay. So now they tease you with a blurred original hoping you will pay to get your pictures back on line. I personally always down loaded them to a separate hard drive so I still have mine. I also left them on photobucket to fill up their servers too
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
19892001Nautique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 19892001Nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2019 at 3:27pm
Ah that explains it. Thank you.
Slalom - you can surf, jump, trick, wakeboard, barefoot if you want
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic