NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

to tower or not to tower

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123
Author
WakeSlayer View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-22-2009 at 3:07pm
My blingboat has 438HP and 500+ ft lbs of torque. I run an Acme 644 on it.
The BS defnitely stops when the prop drops.

Not really sayin, just sayin...

Mike
Mike N

1968 Mustang

Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-22-2009 at 3:11pm
Mike, is that boat in the diaries? Is it one of those red boats with the white stripe that they had at Seaworld in 2000?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-22-2009 at 3:42pm
I have not put it in the diaries. I have no idea on the Seaworld question, but I doubt it. If they had BB boats they probably would have been SN's. I have a friend who has that motor in a direct drive. Sick, sick boat. I think all the Super Air's with it were custom ordered as they were a really expensive upgrade at the time.

I am mostly just messin' with Boat Dr here.
Havin fun and talking smack.

M
Mike N

1968 Mustang

eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-22-2009 at 3:50pm
Did I read right? Karens boat?
"the things you own will start to own you"
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-22-2009 at 4:00pm
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

Did I read right? Karens boat?

Any other questions?
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-22-2009 at 5:42pm
Bruce,

Lake George is a bit too far away to make any plans for me yet, heck who knows where I will be next week?

Thinking the boat you are referring to is the 2001 Ski Nautique with a 393 Stroker, there is one in the Diaries. Slayers is the 99' Super Air V-Drive with a Python, same motor as Barefoot Eddie has in the 90' Barefoot Nautique that was at Lake George.

Slayer,

When I was finalizing the order on my 99' asked what the upcharge would be to go to the Python, IIRC it was $5k or $6k, that was additional from the GT-40 which was already an upcharge, hence we stuck with the GT-40!!
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-22-2009 at 5:46pm
Yes that was correct,Karens boat.I get to fill it up, tow to the ramp, do all the wrenchin', upkeep, bla bla bla..........
Each time we are asked I have a pat answer to throw back.....Ask her it is her BABY....

Larry, thanks for the pic, it has been almost a full year.What better place to spend our anniversary than with a bunch of swell guys &girls "WE" met on this site.Key West is THE place to tie the knot, hope to leave from St. Johns and head back to relive last year.

Mike, I am not really sure he has a real boat, Barb does but I have only heard about that "BLING BOAT".
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-22-2009 at 6:56pm
Quinner.   I think it was $8500 msrp after the GT-40. I did not buy mine new. Someone else took the ding on that one. I got mine in 2005,with ~135 hours.

Billy, you are killin me. I will call you when I fire her up the first time in the Spring. That sweet rumble will make it hard for us to really talk, but you will get the picture.   ;^ )

M

Mike N

1968 Mustang

JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-22-2009 at 7:11pm
Originally posted by boat dr boat dr wrote:

The stroker was built as a direct result of owning and "flying" a 26 foot parasail.If you want to see what kinda' pull your boat has,make a pass with that tied to your stern.
Even tho the HP is higher thanmost 351, I was after the "TORQUE" 400 plus pounds of twist.Currently I am running a 12x15 OJ LEDGEND. If Reid brings me his loaner we will see if she can pull a 12x16. The BS stops where the prop hits the water.....Boat dr

My stereo was also built for pulling a 26' cloud hopper, with 800' feet of line out it takes a lot of wattage for the flyer to be able hear without straining...
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
05 210 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 05 210 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-22-2009 at 11:05pm
   ^^^^^^^ WORD ! ^^^^^^^^^^^

That stereo cranks!

Mike
Air Nautique 210 Team

640 hours, not 1 regret
shawnmc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shawnmc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2009 at 1:24pm
i love my old "classic" boat and it was a big decision as to put a tower on it or not. You can see by the pictures we chose the tower. I do agree that to each his own. You really have to decide what will work for you and what you want and will settle for. Do I really like the look of the tower, probably not. Do i think it will affect my resale, I really don't care. Does everyone like skiing and wakeboarding behind my boat, yes.

I agree with Joe and at the same time also agree with Doc. Guess that is why they have chocolate, vanilla and chocolate and vanilla ice cream mixed together.
220nautique View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 220nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2009 at 7:33pm
i think you should go with the tower. before you get one don't forget that it wont fit in your garage and if you keep it at your marina they charge more for dry storage if you have a tower because they have to put it at the top.
Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2009 at 6:48am
The opinions on this subject vary as much as the ones about "to foam or not to foam"...
So when one asks for advise on a subject like these, in the end he will still have to decide for himself.
- Gun control means: using BOTH hands!
- Money doesn't make one happy, but when it rains cats and dogs, it's still better to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle...

kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2009 at 1:02pm
Lots of mixed opinions here!!!
For now I think I just keep using the extended pylon.

Kapla....
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2009 at 2:57pm
Originally posted by kapla kapla wrote:

Lots of mixed opinions here!!!
For now I think I just keep using the extended pylon.

Kapla....

All BS aside, I would do the same thing with your boat. While it is an acceptable wakeboarding boat, it is mainly a ski boat and I think the tower would negatively affect the value in my mind, when I get a 90's SN it won't get a tower.

I consider the 2001 series and the sports boats that appeal to wakeboarders more than hard core slalom skiers and in those cases I would say add a tower if you want one and those people who would be in the market to buy one from you will probably at least not run away from your boat.

As for Quinners 206 I would probably order mine with a tower and all the air gear because to me it would be more usable. But, I know two guys looking for a slightly used 206 at the moment and neither one will consider a boat with a tower... which so far are the only boats I have seen available on the site.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2009 at 3:14pm
Good points Joe!

Really think a common misconception is "if it has a tower it is a Wakeboard Boat". Of course the tower will enhance the Wakeboarding experience however it really goes beyond that as far as functionality.

The only negative aspects of a tower in my eyes is weight, which does affect the slalom wake, and depending on your setup the height constraints although many towers when folded are only slightly higher than the top of the windshield frame.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2009 at 3:36pm
I don't think Sebastion has to worry about a tower dropping the resale on a CC in ARGENTINA.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2009 at 6:52pm
Originally posted by quinner quinner wrote:

The only negative aspects of a tower in my eyes is weight, which does affect the slalom wake, and depending on your setup the height constraints although many towers when folded are only slightly higher than the top of the windshield frame.

I agree with this, there are however some people who wouldn't be caught dead on a boat with a tower, kinda like a skiers vs snowboarders kinda scenario.. no cross sport love...
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2009 at 7:43pm
Joe,

As a guy who has installed a tower and taken at least one boat down to the stringers, what are your thoughts on strength, Tower vs Pylon?

What about pulling a para-sail from a tower, bad idea? would there be any advantage from a high pull?
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2009 at 8:24pm
I dont pull the parasail from the tower, the upward pull is not exactly what it was designed for, its bolted down fairly securly and I doubt it would be a problem but the strength of the tower comes both from the front legs being in tension and the back legs being in compression, its a little different when being pulled up at 45-50 degrees. Plus iI have this irrational fear the threaded pins in the back legs would come lose and with the upward pull all heck would break loose. No advantage to the tower pull really, the extra 4 feet of height dont make a bit of difference on takeoff since you cant actually keep that much rope out of the water, (the person is well off the ground before the rope all clears the water). Once under way you can use the back seat with the pylon if you want.

For straight rediculous pulling strength I would say the stock pylon (not an extended pylon), in particular on boats with engine cradles that support the pylon, is a clear winner. I doubt you can do much serious damage to one of these boats by putting an unbreakable cable attached to an immovable object on the pylon and pulling away. Try the same stunt with a tower and something will give.

That being said the tower is pretty solid for most non-rediculous tasks. I climb on and jump off the thing all the time with no real flex, and I am heavier than most. It will sway some underway but I have pushed it pretty hard without worries. While pulling I have yet to hear or see it strain, certainly nothing near the experience of an extended pylon with a good size boarder on it.    
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Andy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-01-2009 at 2:58am
Joe, could you email me some stereo pics? I want to add some things to my 82, and i just wanted to see how it laid out for you.
Thanks!

Spridle@comcast.net
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123
  Share Topic