NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

swim platform maintenance

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234>
Author
86BFN View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 86BFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-07-2009 at 12:22am
They say to wipe the excess off but I rarely do. If you want to anytime now would be fine.

Nice lookin sport Cris.
👣 Steve
86 Barefoot Nautique

89 Martinique
Former Owner: 93 Hydrodyne 350 MAG
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-07-2009 at 12:43pm
Originally posted by cmuggleston cmuggleston wrote:

Anyone know how long I need to let the teak oil dry. I finished the last coat Sunday...and it is still not dry.

It seems like it usually takes the better part of a week for my platform to dry completely- and that time can easily double if its kept in a cool or damp place. Placing the platform in the sunlight seems to speed things up- otherwise, just be patient.
Roym View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roym Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2009 at 12:59pm
This is a suggestion for cleaning your dock but would probably work well for a swim platform. I have a side line where I do dock and deck restorations and this is the best method of cleaning a gray nasty weathered dock.

You need a pump up garden type sprayer and a pressure washer for dock work, but a strong pressure garden hose might be all thats needed for a swim platform.

First you need "oxy clean" powder or simliar product. Use about 1/2 cup per gallon in WARM water in the garden sprayer put in a good squirt of Dawn dish soap. Stir it up good. Then wet your wood( no joke intended) with your hose and let the excess run off. After this spray it with the oxy clean and WAIT 20 mins. You need to keep it damp during the 20 min wait so just keep respraying it lightly or mist it with the garden hose, but the 20 min wait is important. Then lightly pressure wash it. The results will be amazing, but it will lighten up the wood. I don't know if this will work on wood that has teak oil on it but it sure will clean up a badly weathered dock.
The mixture has to be used in a hour or two so wait until your ready to do it to mix it up. You might want to do a test spot on the teak to see if it works and dosent harm the teak. If you do your dock that pressure treated wood just go do it.

Roy
dsla View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dsla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2009 at 6:28pm
I have a platform that the previous owner applied cetol to. I did not like the look, so i sanded the cetol off with a 60 grit sander. I really like the way cmuggleston's turned out.

1) Will this process that cmuggleston did work for me?

2) Do you think I need to sand with higher grit prior to using the cleaner?

Thanks in advance,
Dan
gcarbone View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gcarbone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2009 at 12:15am
I am in the middle of re-doing my platform and it is amazing how much better it looks just from cleaning it - i just wet sanded it tonight but it didnt feel like it was accomplishing much so I wondered if i needed to "wet sand" it with soap and water between each application of oil and what effect would "dry sanding" have instead? Thanks
96 SN
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2009 at 10:20am
Originally posted by gcarbone gcarbone wrote:

I am in the middle of re-doing my platform and it is amazing how much better it looks just from cleaning it - i just wet sanded it tonight but it didnt feel like it was accomplishing much so I wondered if i needed to "wet sand" it with soap and water between each application of oil and what effect would "dry sanding" have instead? Thanks

No wet or dry sanding between coats of oil. What are you trying to accomplish with the wet sanding?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
gcarbone View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gcarbone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2009 at 10:52am
Hey Pete,
I was following the directions from earlier in the post. There is a link that says to sand after the oil dries on each application with a finer grit paper each time.   
96 SN
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2009 at 11:13am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

No wet or dry sanding between coats of oil. What are you trying to accomplish with the wet sanding?

Pete, dont knock it til you try it! I used this method on my '90 platform- came out very nice. Ill snap some pics this weekend.

GCarbone, definitely wetsand with the proper paper if attempting that technique... dont attempt the finer grits dry.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2009 at 11:17am
Don't they get kind of slippery when you wet sand or dry sand with fine grit?
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2009 at 2:55pm
Bruce, the only time mine has seemed slick is when I havent allowed the oil to fully dry before getting it wet.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2009 at 3:14pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Pete, dont knock it til you try it! I used this method on my '90 platform- came out very nice. Ill snap some pics this weekend.

GCarbone, definitely wetsand with the proper paper if attempting that technique... dont attempt the finer grits dry.

i just wet sanded it tonight but it didnt feel like it was accomplishing much so I wondered if i needed to "wet sand" it with soap and water Thanks

I agree that wet sanding is a common technique for sanding or even applying oil finishes. I've used it many times on "danish" oils but you use the oil as a wetting agent and not soap/water. The oil and the sanding dust creates a slurry that will go down into the pores of open grain wood smoothing it all out.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
gcarbone View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gcarbone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2009 at 3:37pm
So it sounds like we have the right compromise - wet sand but instead of water like i used last night, start using the teak oil?

With the water it did create a slurry that just seemed to make a mess, but if I used the oil then that would be a good solution. I will follow the directions of that link for the rest. Thanks guys. I will try to get a picture up when it's done.
96 SN
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2009 at 3:52pm

So it sounds like we have the right compromise - wet sand but instead of water like i used last night, start using the teak oil?

No!

With the water it did create a slurry that just seemed to make a mess, but if I used the oil then that would be a good solution. I will follow the directions of that link for the rest. Thanks guys. I will try to get a picture up when it's done

The mess that occured was because you didnt allow the oil to fully dry before wet sanding. Water isnt making the mess, the oil is. This time of year, it will take a full week for the oil to dry- maybe a bit less if you put it in the sun this weekend!

If you follow the plan to the letter, you will end up with a nice looking piece.
C-Bass View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2009 at 3:58pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

This time of year, it will take a full week for the oil to dry- maybe a bit less if you put it in the sun this weekend!

Just oiled mine up last week. Initially the first coats soaked in and dried rather quickly. But on the last coat(s) when the wood was almost fully saturated with teak oil, Tim is right, it will take several days to completely dry. Mine took 4 days of sitting outside in sunny warm weather before it was dry to the touch.
Craig
67 SN
73 SN
99 Sport
85SN
dwcar View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwcar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2009 at 4:41pm
I used TRBenj's teak process. It took me about 3 weeks to finish. I think it turned out very nice. Cant wait to see how it holds up. I added one step thow. I scrubbed with a brush after each sanding to get any sediment that may have settled into the wood grain.
83Ski
gcarbone View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gcarbone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2009 at 5:07pm
Tim - I hadnt put any oil to it, only a good scrubbing with soap and water and then again with a teak cleaner - both a few days prior to wet sanding.

I will just follow that link and will stay patient. This weekend will be a good weekend to have it out in the sun.

I just noticed you are out of MA - where abouts?

96 SN
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2009 at 5:18pm
Make sure you prep the teak real well- use a stiff brass brush with that cleaner to get all the mildew out. Make sure you rinse it well afterwards! Make sure its completely dry before applying oil, and then completely dry again before wetsanding between coats. I did my platform last summer and it took me a few months!

I live just west of Boston and work about 20 min north of the city. I ski with a few guys from here a few miles west of work, but I keep my boats in CT (where Im originally from). Whereabouts in NH are you?
gcarbone View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gcarbone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2009 at 5:23pm
I work about 35 minutes north of the city in Salem - but live in Concord. My boat is kept at our lake house in southern ME. we arent far at all - small world.
96 SN
IAughtNaut View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IAughtNaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-09-2012 at 4:01pm
bumping an oldie but goodie to ask a question: has anyone ever tried Sikkens? I was talking to the guy at west marine and we're standing in front of a wall of star brite products and he was swearing up and down that this Sikkens stuff is the best. I'm not the kind of guy who inherently trusts the opinion of strangers so I thanked the guy for help but told him I was going to do some more research before buying a $45 can of a product I had never heard of.

Thoughts? Anyone use this before? Or should I just stick with the star brite?
bring the ruckus
2000 Pro Air
C-Bass View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-09-2012 at 4:34pm
Never tried it, but I've always had great success with the light sanding and 5+ coats of $10/qt Watco teak oil. I'm still on the same can of the stuff after 2 years and love the results. So unless the more expensive stuff applies itself, then I don't see it being worth the $$$ because the Watco looks great and goes on extremely easy.
Craig
67 SN
73 SN
99 Sport
85SN
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-09-2012 at 5:08pm
Whenever I walk into West Marine, I always get a little bit of that Used Car Lot feeling. I still go, because they have a lot of stuff you might need, and you don't have to wait for it to come in the mail.

But, I get the impression that the people working there are being pushed to up-sell on everything. It's always a couple extra feet of rope, a fender the next largest size, the slightly more expensive boat soap...
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-09-2012 at 5:13pm
Sikkens does make one product for Teak that they claim will "breath". I know of no one that has had very good luck with any of their products and no one that has ever used their Teak product.

Yes, I too avoid walking into a West marine as well!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IAughtNaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-09-2012 at 5:25pm
I'm not endorsing west by any means, I just knew that would be my best shot of finding what I need around here, and sure enough they had a whole wall full of stuff. I don't remember seeing anything named watco, but then again, I wasn't looking for that either. So basically what I'm hearing is the guy may have just been trying to upsell me? All I walked out of there with this weekend was the cleaner, which I knew I needed, but I know I'll be back in later this week for the rest, I just want ya'lls advice on what that should be.
bring the ruckus
2000 Pro Air
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-09-2012 at 5:39pm
Well, there's a chance they were trying to up-sell you. I'm not denouncing them, any more than you're endorsing them. Just important to be a little bit on guard with them. I have never had someone at a supermarket walk over and push me towards the more expensive milk

They certainly do have a lot of stuff. I have a small one local and some bigger ones further away. I prefer to go to the small one, as long as they have what I need, because they seem to be straighter shooters in that one. I have gotten some good advice and some bad from West Marine as a whole.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IAughtNaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2012 at 2:40am
Here's another question, the MC link at the beginning of this thread appears to be broken, so its difficult for me to tell what process Tim is talking about. Let me see if I can figure it out
1. cleaning, some combination of pressure washing, scrubbing with a stiff brush and a cleaner
2. then the star brite or watco teak oil
3. let it dry (several days) then wetsand
4. let that dry and repeat (and repeat, and repeat) oiling and sanding, increasing the grit on the paper each time

that about right?
The two questions I have:
1. Tim mentioned working up to 1000 or 1200 grit, where should I start?
2. Is there a sealer of some kind at the end of the process or just the oil? somebody mentioned it, but I can't tell from the subsequent posts
bring the ruckus
2000 Pro Air
DrStevens View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrStevens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2012 at 9:33am
Power washing cleaned mine up well, I only sanded enough to not feel rough or uncomfortable to stand on, I didn't want it to feel slick when wet, then teak oil only, no sealer at the end.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2012 at 10:53am
Youve got it. Go very easy on the pressure washer. Brass brush and a good teak cleaner will be needed to get the black mold/mildew out of the grain. Rinse thoroughly after cleaning, and after every sanding (you want all dust and grime out of the wood prior to oiling). No sealer.

Start with whatever grit you need to make it smooth. Probably 320 or 400. If the platform is in really rough shape, you may need to go to 220 or 150... just be careful not to remove *too* much wood or the tips of the screws may start poking through.

After the process was done, the platform was not slick... though it looked like it would be!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IAughtNaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2012 at 3:41pm
Thank you Tim, that is exactly what I was looking for. My platform wasn't in terrible shape, I posted pics somewhere a couple weeks ago for Kristy, I would just rather ask too many questions and get all the right information than assume and mess something up. I already cleaned it, pressure washer first, then two rounds of scrubbing with the star brite cleaner, first with a brass wool scrub pad (cause I just couldn't bring myself to use a brass brush), and then again with a stiff nylon brush. It already looks a hundred times better. I'll post pics tonight if I remember. I don't actually think I'll need too much sanding to smooth it out, like I said before its not in bad shape.

The only other question I have (and this may be dumb) but I want it to be dry when I apply the oil, right? Completely dried out after cleaning, and then again after wetsanding?

Thanks again to everyone for helping.
bring the ruckus
2000 Pro Air
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2012 at 3:51pm
You use the Teak oil for the "wet" on the wet sanding. This is a common practice for open grain woods that you finish with a oil type finish. The sanding dust from wet sanding will fill the grain and smooth it out some.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2012 at 3:57pm
I did not use that method, Pete- thats the first Ive heard of it. Tell me more!

Adam, I followed the TMC instructions that called for oil, which had to be completely dry prior to wetsanding (with water). Allow to dry completely again before the next round of oil. Then repeat as many times as you want- the higher the grit, the smoother the platform becomes (and the more it starts to resemble a fine piece of furniture). Ive heard of people going to 2000 grit, but I thought it looked beautiful after 800. Oil goes on last, obviously. It can take a good long while for the oil to dry between coats, especially the later ones. Leaving the platform out in the sun will reduce the cycle time significantly- if left in the dark (like in the basement) it can take a week or 2 for the oil to dry.

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234>
  Share Topic