NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

For the Mopar fans

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: For the Mopar fans
    Posted: November-12-2008 at 7:36pm
1963 Chrysler Golden Lion. It is in a friends 1963 Century Coronado. It's a 426 ci Wedge.

SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-12-2008 at 8:48pm
Bet that sounded off.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
65 'cuda View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 65 'cuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-12-2008 at 8:49pm
That one is in my chrysler manual:

9.2:1 compression, 325 horsepower, 410 lb/ft torque.impressive. 100 octane required, no warranty.

They also made a model M-426SKI 415 HP at 5600 RPM. THAT's some serious big block power.
reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-12-2008 at 10:18pm
I've always loved that engine and the fact that Chrysler was so quick and common to sell a marine engine with dual quads. During the first few years of 440 production, they offered a dual quad 335hp model, and then later a 390hp 6-pak, just like in the auto world. Bruce, you got to get on him about keeping that thing cleaner and maybe detail that beauty. I still want to do something with the two 413 marine rev rot Mopars I've got and am still willing to sell one to Phats or some other Mopar fan out there.       
ReidP
1973 Mustang

Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-12-2008 at 10:40pm
The boat looks beautiful, but he found out soon after he bought it that it needed a lot of work. He knows what he has as he was telling me all about it. I'm sure in time it will be detailed.

phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-13-2008 at 12:03am
Thats freakin awsome riley. They used that dual quad setup in the 300's and big chrysler cars in the early 60's late 50's.

I always thought it would be awsome to build a mopar boat and throw a cross ram intake and make it look and run like a ramcharger motor.

Reid if you still have those when I finish school one or both of them will definatly be sitting in my garage. What neighborhood money wise would you be asking for them?

The 440 single 4bbl's (hp)version were all 375 and 480 and the 6bbl's were 390 and 490 the 383 (hp) single 4bbl was 335 I dont know that they ever offered a dual quad 440(maybe marine if thats what ur talkin about) but the 361 413 and 426 i believe were all offered with dual quads but dont quote me on the 426. Sorry got off on a mopar tangent haha. Oh and if you are saying they made a 6bbl marine 440 ill *************** if i ever see one.

By the way Reid. You can bet that if I ever get a hold of one of those motors you have I will have the fastest inboard on CCF.com haha.
reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-13-2008 at 6:40pm
Zach, I was indeed just referring to the marine offerings. As you noted, I don't think they ever offered a 2-4V set-up in the auto world for a 440 and for the marine pkg it was similar to the 426 above with low compression. Later, they decided to offer the high compression auto longblocks in marine form with the same specs as you showed above. I'll try to pull and post several of the neat Chrysler spec/advertising brochures I have.

Oh, and Zach, based off the last sentence in your post above, I've decided to never sell one of those engines to you. jk.     
ReidP
1973 Mustang

phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-13-2008 at 8:18pm
Haha come on Reid be a good sport. Do you think my little skylark would still float if I threw one of those 413's in it? Talk about a scary ride.

I wonder what the best over all hull would be as far as speed and handling the power of a big block mopar would be. I have read on here that when you get over the 60mph mark with these skylarks and stangs they start to bounce alot.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-13-2008 at 8:28pm
Originally posted by phatsat67 phatsat67 wrote:

I wonder what the best over all hull would be as far as speed and handling the power of a big block mopar would be. I have read on here that when you get over the 60mph mark with these skylarks and stangs they start to bounce alot.

From what I gather (mostly from Reid), the fastest CC hulls are:
1. 1st gen Ski Nautique
2. 2nd gen Mustang/Skier/Ski Tique 1971+ 16'5" hull
The next 2 fastest are likely the 2nd gen Ski Nautique (1971-1981) and the 1st gen Mustang/American Skier/Skylark.

You dont have to get above 60 to start bouncing (whose boat is that fast anyways?)... My Tique will start bouncing in the mid 40's, which is not at all uncommon for the 16' boats. Any of the following will increase the bouncing: greater speed, increased weight in the rear (someone in the back seat), less hook in the hull, choppy water.
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-13-2008 at 8:34pm
Tim, I bet a big block making power would work out better in a first or second gen ski nautique due to them being longer and less bounce(I would assume).
Btw it would be pretty easy to get that 413 to crank out around 500 hp in the low 6000rpm range. Ried my wheels are turning and If one of those are still there when I graduate I smell another project boat.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-13-2008 at 8:39pm
Not sure about the 1st gen SN bouncing less- Reid says thats the only CC hull with ZERO hook in it. Reid, do those boats bounce at speed?
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-13-2008 at 9:33pm
I have plenty of time to research before I build one for speed haha. Looks like ill go with the second gen hull. Ive always wanted a red 74 just like my dads first one.
The Lake View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Lake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-13-2008 at 11:48pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Not sure about the 1st gen SN bouncing less- Reid says thats the only CC hull with ZERO hook in it. Reid, do those boats bounce at speed?

Tim,
I'm not Reid, I know for a fact that Reid has forgotten more about engines than I know, but I do have a 1st generation Nautique. Now, granted, I just have the stock 318, but when I run in the mid 40's she rides very smooth. I only get bouncing with a couple of people in the back and a full tank of gas.

Chuck

Walk on Water
www.coldwater.me

69 Ski Nautique
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-14-2008 at 12:39am
Well I remember a little bit of water in the back seat...but no bounce.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-14-2008 at 1:27am
That hull should be fast with no hook Chuck. Reid and I could fix that stock motor problem you have haha.

My 86 2001 doesnt bounce at all ever unless ya hit some waves then itll get to bouncin a bit if you dont get outt of it.

I wonder if a 2001 hull could be fast with alot of power. Mine runs around 44 bone stock.
The Lake View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Lake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-14-2008 at 4:27am
John,

How could I forget; it does tend to bounce in 6' seas at GL. You and Patty sure looked good in those CC rain slickers.

Thanks phats, I've got my stock motor at just about the right stage of belt dust and oil slime.

Chuck
Walk on Water
www.coldwater.me

69 Ski Nautique
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-14-2008 at 1:55pm
Chuck, great info- thanks. I bet the extra length of the boat smooths out the ride a bit. Come to think of it, I dont think Ive ever seen a SN bounce- only the smaller 16 footers.

Phats, it takes exponentially more power to make the newer boats fast. The 2001 rides more bow-high than the newer boats, but it still has a lot of hull to overcome. Just ask JoeinNY... his 400+hp 408 stroker is hitting somewhere in the 52-53mph range.
dmiracle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmiracle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-14-2008 at 2:39pm
If anybody's looking for a good deal on a Coronado, this might be it.

This guy's been trying to sell this boat for a long time and would probably take less.

http://www.captainmorganboats.com/boats/1965.html
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic