NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1955 CC Hurricane Restoration

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 4647484950>
Author
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2016 at 12:04pm
Dang Alan. Hope they knock it out of the park.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2016 at 12:13pm
That is too bad Alan but in the scheme of things it sounds like the best option. Must be an omen.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2016 at 12:13pm
Your instincts have served you well in the past. Good luck with the build.
1970 Mustang "Theseus' paradox"
If everyone else is doing it, you're too late!

67nautique312 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67nautique312 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2016 at 12:37pm
Good choice Alan!! hope everything goes well! I hope some day I get the chance to rebuild an old Hemi. but not under the same circumstances!! hang in there!!
1963 Classic (handed down to my daughter)
67 Riviera
68 barracuda
1971 Ski Nautique Promo
86 Silver Nautique
1995 Ski Nautique
tryathlete View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2016 at 12:50pm
It's good to get the little findings like the oil pump shaft without destroying the whole thing. Getting a Mopar expert to go through the whole thing will provide peace of mind lacking when you put the mystery engine into the Hurricane the first time. You're into the home stretch of the refinement process and soon you'll be in the Honeymoon phase when all you do is start it and drive it.

In sure glad I got a ride last Summer at Quinner's. By the way--you're going to balance it at the same time right?
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2016 at 1:24pm
Originally posted by tryathlete tryathlete wrote:

It's good to get the little findings like the oil pump shaft without destroying the whole thing. Getting a Mopar expert to go through the whole thing will provide peace of mind lacking when you put the mystery engine into the Hurricane the first time. You're into the home stretch of the refinement process and soon you'll be in the Honeymoon phase when all you do is start it and drive it.

In sure glad I got a ride last Summer at Quinner's. By the way--you're going to balance it at the same time right?

The oil pump was a major reason why I pulled the motor from where it was. I/We spent 2 weeks trying to source a replacement pump to no avail, we ended up going with a 340 Chrysler pump modified to bolt into the Hemi. The oil pick up was in the wrong place so we would have to reinvent the wheel there, it started to look like a cluster to me. I told them to stop, I made a call to Van Ness and he said "yeah I have a NOS pump in stock that will bolt right in" He was also supplying the custom ground cam, custom pistons, and was laser cutting all the no longer available gaskets.   Just made sense to stop what I was doing so we agreed on a price for him to do the work and we'll be off in a few weekends to drop the motor off.

yes the rotating assembly will be balanced.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2016 at 1:33pm
Alan, I have a friend at the former Fel Pro gasket company who
Is a product manager. He could make gaskets for you from their deep data bank or from tracings. He's a Mopar fanatic who built a 340 TA challenger he autocrossed during my racing heyday from 85-88. Let me know if you need help there. He's been working there for almost 40 years (started young, right out of high school).
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2016 at 1:35pm
By the way, hope to see you at Green Lake mini. It's my second CCF mini. I had my trailer aligned just for the tow up there. Unlike you I'm not a fan of towing my prized possession further than the boat launch 1/2 mile down the road by Quinner's.

Look forward to catching up with you there.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2016 at 2:01pm

Alan, I have a friend at the former Fel Pro gasket company who
Is a product manager. He could make gaskets for you from their deep data bank or from tracings. He's a Mopar fanatic who built a 340 TA challenger he autocrossed during my racing heyday from 85-88. Let me know if you need help there. He's been working there for almost 40 years (started young, right out of high school).

thanks Pete, Van Ness has all the templates so he said he will just cut whatever is not available. The oil pan and the gearcase gaskets are oddballs so they need to be cut. Some of the water passage gaskets as well, I cut them by hand when I tore the motor down to detail it couple years ago not knowing he could provide all of them.

We do plan to be at Green Lake unless something family comes up.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2016 at 2:09pm

Unlike you I'm not a fan of towing my prized possession further than the boat launch 1/2 mile down the road by Quinner's.

Yea anyone by the name of Pete is not allowed to tow a boat south of Illinois rt176-- court order

A good friend of mine had a AAR Cuda Pete underrated IMHO back in the day,everyone wanted a Nova,Camaro,Chevelle or Mustang
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-15-2017 at 8:02pm
Well I guess you guys are due a hemi update.   Delay after delay sourcing parts and working with a "Specialty" engine builder made me give up on getting the boat back in the water before the end of the season last fall.   In the end that was the best thing to do because if you know me even just a little bit you probably know my brain is already working on next week so to be perpetually stuck in someone else's reality and their time frame the best thing I could do was walk away and tell them to call me when it's ready.   it was still a long wait but the long block arrived back home mid December.

Anyway the motor needed a lot of work.   We ended up turning down the crank and then sent it out for nitriding. We had custom forged pistons made at .060 over by Arias pistons. The pistons that came out were from a 331 poly motor, that was an attempt to up the compression ratio to about 8.5:1. Problem is the bore was so tight it was a matter of time before the motor seized, There was a lot of skirt scuffing. So we opened it up correctly to accept some new pistons and we went with a 10:1 compression ratio.

Next we sent the cam out to have it reground. We went with the cam specs from the 1956 275 hp version of this motor which was a drastically different cam with higher lift and slightly more overlap so we hope it will have a slight lump to the idle.

Dave Van Ness then took to the heads which we thought should be in good shape since the motor work was really only done about 100 hours ago but once again we discovered the work was dismal at best. After removing the valves from the heads most of the guides just fell out.   Looks like the guide bores were knurled and then new guides were pressed in but it was a hack job at best. That forced Dave to rebore all the guides and actually machine new guides to fit. Custom work that took forever and of course added to the bill but absolutely had to be done.

Rocker shafts and arms were reconditioned and ground as well so everything is new. He spent extra time with the oil pump issue making sure the shafts line up even machining a new intermediate shaft bushing that was line bored in place for perfect alignment. That nasty issue should be gone forever.

So here was my Christmas present

Sort of looks like it's from a Ratfink T-shirt all wrapped up

All I've done so far was get it home and put some primer to it. I've been working on another special project over the winter ( more on that maybe tomorrow) so the Hemi has taken a back seat but it's just a bout time to get this project back on track. Spring is in the air.
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-15-2017 at 8:30pm
What was of the crack?
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-15-2017 at 8:31pm
Alan, sounds like you've taken care of all the loose issues to make for a reliable and powerful engine. With 10:1 this little engine ought to sing a beautiful tune and with the right prop ought to make the '55 run like one of TRB's boats! I cannot wait to hear it and see how it performs on the upper register of its sweet exhaust note. It might be best to hear you leave the dock rather than be in the boat. Boats tend to get away from their sound!
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-15-2017 at 8:54pm
Things happen for a reason Alan. Maybe it saved you from some more irreparable damage. At least you can sit back and not have to worry about it now,no more surprises.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-15-2017 at 9:06pm
Alan,
That 331 should now run like it should and even better than it originaly did! One of these days I'll get that Hurrican ride that I'm looking forward to.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-15-2017 at 9:14pm
so happy to hear this. Funny, I just watched the Hurricane on YouTube today. Your ability to soldier on inspires and motivates me on my never ending project.
1970 Mustang "Theseus' paradox"
If everyone else is doing it, you're too late!

75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-19-2017 at 9:06pm
Originally posted by 81nautique 81nautique wrote:

I've been working on another special project over the winter ( more on that maybe tomorrow)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQFxmAdyKcg

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-20-2017 at 10:46pm
Here you go Larry   1955 Commuter
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2017 at 4:05pm
Spent the day Saturday working on assembling the motor, I could probably put a small block Ford together in a day but there is nothing fast about this one.   Everything I touch on it needs to be looked up as far as torque settings, gear box backlash, assembly sequence,etc. Just a slow process and it's just such an odd beast I am being very thorough on checking everything.

Besides that the sheer size and weight of the components are difficult without another set of hands.   Here's a reference for you, a velvet drive sitting next the hemi's reverse gear.

the reverse gear is easily over 100lbs.

I was able to get the Gear case and reverse Gear installed. Impossible to line up without the hoist.

Moved to the front (or Back) of the engine to install the flywheel and ran into a problem.   Found out that the flywheel bolts must be installed before the rear main cap is installed or there is no way to get the bolts into the crankshaft flange. Major brain fade by the engine builder.   My options were to remove everything I had just assembled (to get the pan off all that gearbox has to come off) Didn't like that too much so after a few phone calls and some internet research I found we're not the first ones to forget this. The common fix is to drill the flywheel to accept 1/2" bolts and tap the crank flange.

Ended up not being that difficult a task and will be better than stock because the factory only used 4 bolts and now we've eight 1/2" ARP bolts in place.

Anyway, that's where it sits right now, basically ready for paint and final assembly. All I need is a decent day so I can roll it outside and paint.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2017 at 5:08pm
I like the drill and tap workaround. What a PIA that whole drivetrain seems to be. Too bad you can't just drop a GT40 and velvet drive and put that beautiful Hemi in a sealed crate for posterity!

I hope it's ready for Quinner's graduation party/mini. I liked the way it ran before but now I'm really interested in seeing it go!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2017 at 5:17pm

I hope it's ready for Quinner's graduation party/mini. !

Is Quinner finally graduating?
67nautique312 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67nautique312 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2017 at 5:19pm
keep up the good work Alan!!
1963 Classic (handed down to my daughter)
67 Riviera
68 barracuda
1971 Ski Nautique Promo
86 Silver Nautique
1995 Ski Nautique
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2017 at 5:26pm
Good setup.
Frankenotter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frankenotter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2017 at 10:14am
Very cool Alan.

How did you drill the holes? I can't imagine punching and drilling with a hand drill. Did you get the flange off and get it on a drill press or milling machine? That looks like really nice tap work.
1999 Ski Nautique 196
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2017 at 10:41am
Originally posted by Frankenotter Frankenotter wrote:

Very cool Alan.

How did you drill the holes? I can't imagine punching and drilling with a hand drill. Did you get the flange off and get it on a drill press or milling machine? That looks like really nice tap work.

Chris, the crank holes were there already for 7/16" bolts but needed to be sized and tapped to accept the 1/2-20" bolts, Did that with the crank still installed in the block.   The flywheel holes were opened up for 1/2" bolts on my drill press. Actually was much easier than I thought it would be.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2017 at 10:44am
Originally posted by Frankenotter Frankenotter wrote:

Very cool Alan.

Chris,
The hole are already in the crank flange. Alan just tapped them to 1/2" so the flywheel bolts on from the outside.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2017 at 11:11am
Alan, one benefit of it being such a rare engine with significant problems is that it must have had Van Ness' best working on it. She ought to run great now
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2017 at 11:35am
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

Alan, one benefit of it being such a rare engine with significant problems is that it must have had Van Ness' best working on it. She ought to run great now

Bruce, he has a small crew including his wife Sue that does tear down and grunt work. Sue cuts all the gaskets. Most of the machining and assembly he does himself which is a big part of the time problem.   Classic mom and pop shop with good intentions and not enough time in the day. There will be a lot of knowledge lost when guys like he and Jim Harris stop doing this specialty work.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2017 at 11:47am
I thought Van Ness had a large shop with many employees. That's great, he did the work himself.   Jim is the first one to tell someone, "don't ever tell me you don't need it in a hurry". There's definitely not enough hours in the day for these guys and there's always people coming in to their shop needing help. I can't think of anyone doing that type of work that's much under 70.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2017 at 11:49am
Damn look at that monster transmission, ha. Looking great as always Alan.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 4647484950>
  Share Topic