NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1955 CC Hurricane Restoration

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 4546474849 50>
Author
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2015 at 3:11pm
Originally posted by phatsat67 phatsat67 wrote:

Alan, what do the hemi guys tell you? About 4200 WOT ?

Not an issue Zach, Later 354ci 275 Hp hemi's were turning 4400, same bottom end. A little bit more compression and a lot more carb was the main difference.
dwouncmd View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwouncmd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2015 at 3:32pm
You are the man, and that is one beautiful piece of work. I am glad I got to see in person. Maybe one day I will get a ride or even better a pull.
89 SN
<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=6567&sort=&pagenum=1" rel="nofollow">7
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2015 at 3:52pm
Originally posted by dwouncmd dwouncmd wrote:

You are the man, and that is one beautiful piece of work. I am glad I got to see in person. Maybe one day I will get a ride or even better a pull.

Thanks Wayne, "Unofficial" Plan is to make it to Badin Lake this fall but still a little early to etch that in stone, so you may get that ride yet this year.
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2015 at 4:45pm
Originally posted by 81nautique 81nautique wrote:

Originally posted by phatsat67 phatsat67 wrote:

Alan, what do the hemi guys tell you? About 4200 WOT ?

Not an issue Zach, Later 354ci 275 Hp hemi's were turning 4400, same bottom end. A little bit more compression and a lot more carb was the main difference.

That should sound good
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2015 at 7:20pm
Alan,
It's great to hear of the improved performance. Keep going with all that fantastic work.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2015 at 12:54pm
Got to play with the Hurricane a little bit this weekend, This run was with a 12x13 Oj prop. 4400 rpm and 45 mph.   We made a 21 mile run up river so 42 mile round trip with out a hitch. The boat is just running very nice right now and think I can say I no longer worry about it breaking down. That river can be a dangerous place if you lose power but I think that worry is behind us now. In fact we went back out last night and I forgot my tool bag !!

So here's a quick little video   , I promise one of these days we'll have a chase boat and we'll get some footage other than a POV reference, most likely green lake will produce something decent. Turn it up and enjoy.

Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2015 at 12:59pm
Sounds awesome Alan. We knew you'd get her dialed in. Thanks for the 'Ride'!
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
jimsport93 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimsport93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2015 at 1:04pm
Who is that skinny kid driving your boat?
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2015 at 3:16pm
That sounds Suuuuuuuuhhhhweeeet!               
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2015 at 3:29pm
Originally posted by jimsport93 jimsport93 wrote:

Who is that skinny kid driving your boat?

I was thinking the same thing! Sheezus!
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2015 at 6:29pm
Fantastic!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2016 at 3:55pm
Well it's been almost a year since I've updated this thread and since our last outing down at the River Ruckus in Florida there is a lot to report.

First off the rumors are true..We got towed in.    After three days and about 60 miles of river running I heard a squelling noise, metal to metal, not a pleasant sound at all.. Sounded like it was coming from the rear of the engine, I thought possibly transmission or generator but could not determine what it was. We still had oil pressure but we decided to shut it off and get it on the trailer and back to Paramores where we could diagnose it further.

The next day Dana and I relaunched the boat, it started up fine and teh noise was gone but so was the oil pressure, ZERO. Crap, shut it down and made a phone to my machinist engine guy and his first thought was that we spun a bearing. So we loaded up and headed home a few days later.

With Todd W's help we got the boat off the trailer and proceeded to pull the motor.

Started tearing it apart and yesterday got to the root of the problem.   The Hemi is built like a tank and to even get the oil pan off I had to tear the trans and gearbox off to get at 2 bolts that attach the oil pan from the back of the engine.

Once flipped over I removed the oil pump it was apparent what went wrong. The oil pump shaft ceased in it's housing.    I removed all the caps both main and rod and there was no visible damage. The crank might still need to be turned but it looks pretty darn good as it sits, the bearings were scuffed as it did run for just a short time without oil pressure but I guess we shut it off in time to catch any real damage.

Those lines on the journals are just oil not scuffs.

Now for the good stuff. here is a picture of the oil pump shaft.

And here is a picture of the mating intermediate shaft...or whats left of it.

yes that is the mating end of the shaft ground to dust.   The oil pump shaft must have bound up and the weakest part in the system let go, that shaft is completely pulverized.

$9.95

So here's what the machinist and I think happened. First off this motor has been rebuilt as the pistons are .060 oversized. I don't know who rebuilt it but they made one fatal $9.95 mistake.

On the rear main cap there is a hollow alignment dowel that MUST be in place when you install that cap.   That dowel lines the oil pump shaft up with the intermediate distributor drive shaft.   The dowel was missing so the main cap was installed out of alignment and the oil pump shaft was binding, we ran it long enough that it finally over heated and seized.

This is a picture of the intermediate shaft, notice how hot the casting got.

The oil pump shaft is bent but I'm not sure if that happen before or during the meltdown.

In any case we know what happened and I think we know the cause so a total rebuild is in order.

Most parts have been sourced and I'm working with a local machine shop that does a lot of marine engine work. A few major improvements I'm going to do is replace the pistons and up the CR from stock 7.2:1 to just under 9:1. I'll send the cam out and have it reground to a proven marine spec that I got from another reputable builder.   The third piece I was going to do was have the heads reconditioned and have the larger performance valves dropped in but in measuring everything up yesterday I found the heads have already been upgraded, most likely with the last rebuild so they will get inspected and, cleaned and reassembled.    With these few changes we have no doubt the HP will be in the 275-300 range up from the stock 200. Should be a lot of fun once I get all those parts back in the boat.

More pictures as things progress

Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2016 at 4:09pm
Awesome write up and thanks for all the descriptive details. Cool stuff for sure but bummers it happened in the first place. The bright side is at least you got 60+ miles on the SJR with her before she "She thru a fit!" Sorry Mate!
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
67nautique312 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67nautique312 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2016 at 4:22pm
Damn.....all damage could have been spared for under 10 bucks....that just sucks!! sorry Alan! but I'm sure this only gives you a reason to build it like you wanted to in the first place!!
1963 Classic (handed down to my daughter)
67 Riviera
68 barracuda
1971 Ski Nautique Promo
86 Silver Nautique
1995 Ski Nautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2016 at 4:38pm
Alan,
The only good I can say is the problem was easy to find because it was so obvious.
Nothing worse than opening up an engine and all you can do is scratch your head!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2016 at 4:53pm
Good to hear no major damage to the rare Hemi parts. It'll surely run forever after this rebuild and much faster haha.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2016 at 5:06pm
Now my heart just sank, working in the dark garage I didn't see that crack until I just posted this picture. We'll have to mag the block at see what else we'll have to deal with.
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2016 at 6:42pm
Ugh that sucks so much.
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

RainDog View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RainDog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2016 at 8:03pm
And I was the one crying in my beer at lunch with you on Saturday about my Velvet Drive dying after an estimated 3000 hours. You should have slapped me...

Is a crack in the block like that typically repairable?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2016 at 8:39pm
Originally posted by RainDog RainDog wrote:

And I was the one crying in my beer at lunch with you on Saturday about my Velvet Drive dying after an estimated 3000 hours. You should have slapped me...

Is a crack in the block like that typically repairable?

Ha, That's why I let you buy lunch!!

I'll know better Wednesday when I drop the block off at Kim's.   I've seen much worse repaired but I 'll have to defer to the experts on this one. I sure the hell hope so.

Pete, For the record I've been talking to Kim over at Auto Machine in St. Charles,   They are the guys that bought all the old Gray marine stuff years ago. I met Steve over there Saturday and took a look around. Two brothers who have both been at this for 40 years each, They seem to know their way around this stuff.   Jim Staib recommended them because" there's no one there under 60!"

Saturday they were machining v6 race engines from solid blocks of aluminum. He had 4 complete blocks done ready for sleeves and 2 more to go. Pretty impressive work.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2016 at 9:14pm
Alan,
Staib sure does get around and has for years. The connections sure work out to many benefits. It's great you found them.
I have a feeling that the crack can be welded but as you will have to see what they say especially after they look deeper at the crack.
Getting that shaft out looks interesting too. I'd say it will need to be bored out since it sure looks like it's friction welded itself in becoming one with the block!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2016 at 9:31pm
I was having a really great day today and then I followed this thread. It was truly painful. I am so sorry. This will be on my mind for a long time, I will not forget it even after its up and running again.
1970 Mustang "Theseus' paradox"
If everyone else is doing it, you're too late!

JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2016 at 10:47pm
All that for a missing $10 part. That sux. Hope you can weld up that crack. Keep us posted on the findings.

'92 Correctcraft Ski Nautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2016 at 10:15am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Alan,
Getting that shaft out looks interesting too. I'd say it will need to be bored out since it sure looks like it's friction welded itself in becoming one with the block!

Pete, The shaft is actually free but the end is mushroomed so it won't slide out without some work. I think it might be easier to cut the shaft in the center and slide it out from both ends. I could do it but decided to leave it in there so the machinist could see exactly what happened.   They probably could make short work of it with a die grinder whereas I would spend 2 hours on it and mess things up worse than they are.
IAughtNaut View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IAughtNaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2016 at 10:22am
damn Alan, I told you not to let me drive it in CT 18 months ago
bring the ruckus
2000 Pro Air
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2016 at 10:25am
Sorry to hear that, Alan. That part is probably in someone's tool box and they've been wondering where it should have gone since the rebuild.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2016 at 10:35am
I was wondering yesterday am on how it was coming,knew it would not sit long after you got home. Sorry about the news Alan.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2016 at 10:47am
Damnit
illiniball2000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote illiniball2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2016 at 11:43am
That really sucks! Sorry to hear that.
Beer is my friend
87 Dominique
Had 67 Starflite
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2016 at 11:54am
Well sadly I have to report that we've made zero progress on the engine. It's been at the machine shop for 5 weeks today and they haven't been able to get to it yet. I am picking it up today and moving it to another shop.

Ultimately what I've decided to do is stick with my original plan which was to have Van Ness Engineering in NJ rebuild the short block for me. I backed away from that plan because he's so far away but in the past month of researching the knowledge base and parts sources for the Hemi Van Ness keeps coming to the top of the list.   Most of the parts I need would be coming from him anyway so when we really got down to talking about cost it made sense to just send him the motor.

Van Ness has built over a dozen of these marine Hemis, knows them inside and out and has or will procure or make any parts needed, Main problem I was finding is that there are several guys that have Hot rod knowledge for the Hemis but much of it just doesn't translate over to the marine side, I got advice and parts recommendations from one end of the spectrum to the other not trusting any of it. I was actually able to talk cam specs with Van Ness because he's reground and tested a dozen or so cams where anybody else was selling me off the shelf auto cams. It started to become a cluster of information that was valid in other applications but mine so I pulled the plug.

As much as I wanted to build it myself the reality is I just don't have time this year so in a few months I'll get the short block back and a couple of weekends of work we'll be back on the water. I'm hoping for end of summer test run. Gonna be a long summer without the Hurricane running but that's the way it goes I guess.   Plan is to be back down for next years river run, we'll see!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 4546474849 50>
  Share Topic