NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1955 CC Hurricane Restoration

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12345 50>
Author
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-12-2008 at 11:47am

Not starting on that boat till the fall could be considered correctcraftfan abuse...

Looks like you have a few motor choices if you want to go the Pete B route. Although really the only choice would be trying to locate the 200hp chysler...
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-12-2008 at 11:49am
I love the "Big Arrow" motif on the deck planking design. Um... THIS WAY IS FORWARD. You'll never have to ask yourself which end is the front, regardless of how much you've drank or anything else. The whole top of the boat is a giant arrow pointing that way.
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-12-2008 at 12:51pm
Originally posted by JoeinNY JoeinNY wrote:

Looks like you have a few motor choices if you want to go the Pete B route. Although really the only choice would be trying to locate the 200hp chysler...

I'm on it already!!!! One Chrysler Imperial coming right up!!

BTW, The Imperial is a straight 8 (flat head), pistons the size of 1lb coffee cans, torque like you wouldn't believe, very smooth running and will run all day long at red line (about 36K)!! It may weigh a few pounds though but of course this isn't the barefooting boat!! Maybe a wake boat??? No tower please!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-12-2008 at 1:35pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

red line (about 36K)!!

Holy. Sounds like they could use that engine for F1.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-12-2008 at 2:23pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

red line (about 36K)!!

Holy. Sounds like they could use that engine for F1.

EDIT! EDIT! Missed the decimal point. I should have just done it the long way as 3600RPM!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-13-2008 at 3:40am

Originally posted by lewy2001 lewy2001 wrote:

Sure is a lot of eye candy there.
But I bet JBear only noticed the girls

Lewy,
The only problem is that even at John and my ages it's like looking at pictures of our mothers!!

Pete: LOL...how right you are...they do look pretty hot in that boat tho.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
adamt View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adamt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-13-2008 at 4:02am

ALL girls look hot when they're in a boat!!!!
-Adam

1973 Skier
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-13-2008 at 7:46am

Originally posted by JoeinNY JoeinNY wrote:

BTW, The Imperial is a straight 8 (flat head), pistons the size of 1lb coffee cans, torque like you wouldn't believe, very smooth running and will run all day long at red line!

The straight 8 started bothering me after looking at the Hurricane aft deck length. That engine is very long engine and I started to think it just wouldn't fit in the boat. (remember, this isn't a V drive) The straight 8 is a pre WWII design (30's). I got in touch with a friend and learned something! In 1955 Chrysler Marine transfered the "Imperial" name to a new engine. I now feel the 200 HP Imperial listed in the Hurricane price sheet is the 331 CI Imperial HEMI!!!

In a 2V form, it's rated at the 200 HP at 3800RPM. With dual quads, it was rated at 250 HP.

I've seen a few of the 331's and will say the block is a BIG chunk of cast iron but less than the 30's straight 8!

How about that for the Mopar guys!! Reid? Phats?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
nates78ski View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nates78ski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-13-2008 at 2:44pm
Nice Pickup Alan! That boat is sweet. I can only Imagine the fun opening boxes of newly chromed hardware Me, myself, I've gotta go find hardware to the Atom.. & have it Chromed myself...You lucky sonofa.....

Originally posted by adamt adamt wrote:

ALL girls look hot when they're in a boat!!!!

This is completely true. And, very disappointing when you meet a girl on the lake, & then take her off the boat, It's like you went from being 10 beers deep to stone sober.

Nate
Nathan
My '78 Ski Nautique

<a href="http://photobucket.com/Nates78ski" rel="nofoll
skinaut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skinaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-13-2008 at 3:57pm
I don't even know what to say but...WOW!
that boat will knock em dead at the shows.
uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-15-2008 at 11:15am
If the marine engine was the same as this 56 car,lots of Hp to be had.

This is up on UK ebay,there are some Chrysler Marine rocker covers on US ebay too.

Chrysler Desoto Firedome Hemi
Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-15-2008 at 1:50pm
I do know a guy who is dis-mantling a 1962 woody, and he tells me it has Chrysler 383's in it....and looking to sell them. I know little about Chryslers and didnt know 383's existed in 1962
i will pursue if anyone has interest in one of them
"the things you own will start to own you"
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-15-2008 at 6:27pm

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-15-2008 at 7:06pm
What are the odds, Pete? I was just looking at a Glen-L forum that had a link to that youtube clip. I saved it to post and you beat me to it. The guy with the hemi is putting it in a glen-L boat he is building.

Glen-L link to photobucket pics of project
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-15-2008 at 8:57pm
Larry,
I spotted the boat too. I don't feel that lightweight Glen-L ply boat will hold up for very long with that Hemi!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-15-2008 at 9:45pm

331 (or354) dual quad Chrysler hemi - marine

Ok, I've been ignoring you guys talking about repowering the Hurricane but NOW you've got my attention. man does that monster sound nice.
skinaut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skinaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-15-2008 at 10:16pm

Larry,
I spotted the boat too. I don't feel that lightweight Glen-L ply boat will hold up for very long with that Hemi!!!

that is exactly what I was thinking while watching that clip
reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-16-2008 at 12:30pm
Great research, homework, and knowledge Pete! A Hemi Hurricane?? Has a nice ring to it doesn't it. We know there's one out there, we just need to find it so Alan can buy it.
ReidP
1973 Mustang

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-16-2008 at 12:38pm
Originally posted by reidp reidp wrote:

We know there's one out there, we just need to find it so Alan can buy it.

There is a pair (L and R) on ebay but I'll bet they are salt water engines out of a re power plus they are reduction trans's. A trans may be harder to find than the Hemi RR!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-16-2008 at 12:40pm
unless you know the right people...lol
"the things you own will start to own you"
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-16-2008 at 5:07pm
Originally posted by skinaut skinaut wrote:

Larry,

that is exactly what I was thinking while watching that clip

Yeah, but just think of the ride up to the point where the boat starts to disintegrate

"Hey, y'all...watch this!!"
Maddie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-19-2008 at 8:09pm
hi Allen i like your new woodie boat and i like pie ha ha ha bye allen and dania.

love the awsomest person EVER MADDIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
My Dad is So Cool!
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-19-2008 at 9:37pm
Did I miss a new member? Welcome Maddie Way to go Chris must make you proud!
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
nates78ski View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nates78ski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-20-2008 at 1:59am
we have a new youngest member it looks like. (I'm finally not it anymore!) Welcome Maddie!

Nate
Nathan
My '78 Ski Nautique

<a href="http://photobucket.com/Nates78ski" rel="nofoll
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-20-2008 at 8:12am
Maddie,
Keep posting so we know what you're up to. We don't want your dad teaching you any of his bad habits!!

I'll bet that now that our summer is over, you're hoping for some cold weather to freeze the lake. I understand your dad does a great job at maintaining a rink.

For those of you that may live in the south like LA., a "rink" is for ice skating. We have metal blades attached to the bottoms of boots you use on the ice.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-20-2008 at 10:35am
Hi Maddie, I promise you a ride when it's done.

and Bohdi says "hey"
RainDog View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RainDog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-21-2008 at 12:22am
Alan,
Pete cc'd me on a question you had regarding the guys at GrayMarineParts.com. I've found that they don't answer emails, ever. But if you get them on the phone, they are nice and helpful. I usually talk to a guy named Kim.

They bought a bunch of NOS and used Gray Marine parts and are building a warehouse for them. They readily admit they are in a transition stage and finding stuff is sometimes difficult.

I've had no problems ordering gaskets and other like items they have had re-poped. But, for instance, when I asked for an alternator and bracket, something that would require some digging around, I usually don't get a call back. I believe the proactive would be rewarded, but I usually have my work around by then.

I've asked to be able to come down and rut around for parts personally. Maybe you and I could arrange a Saturday this spring to do so.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-21-2008 at 12:47am
Originally posted by RainDog RainDog wrote:

I've asked to be able to come down and rut around for parts personally. Maybe you and I could arrange a Saturday this spring to do so.

I'd be up for that, they're only about 20 minutes from home. Think I'll go by this weekend and see if anyones around.

Realistically, I don't even know what I need yet but I'm trying to get sources lined up when I do get started. I can't start the woodworking this winter but I was thinking about pulling the heads and taking a look inside. Just hate to start taking things apart if I'm not really ready to. More anxious than anything I guess.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-21-2008 at 7:45pm
I just got back from seeing the Hurricane. Wow! It is a very restorable hull and certainly will be a pleasure to see this classic back on the water. I'm confident that with Alan doing this boat it will come out a beauty!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-25-2008 at 9:28am
1:1's not stated?? Salt water engines too!

Hemi's

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12345 50>
  Share Topic