NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1955 CC Hurricane Restoration

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234 50>
Author
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-11-2008 at 12:39pm
Alan,

Very exciting Dude, awesome boat now, can only imagine how amazing it will be when fully restored. You hit the Jackpot with this one, two rare CC's now in the stable, gotta love it!!

I laughed when knuckles said you were using his trailer, first thing I thought of was it probably still had the expired Virginia plate on it. Showed Maddie the pic's and her comment was about Boaty being in the shot, then the boat.

PS, Pete, who is Allen??
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-11-2008 at 12:54pm
Alan,
Stick with getting the 327 up and running for now but you should be keeping your eyes and ears open for a 55 Chysler or Gray. Ether engine would work without a point deduction because of the lack of records. However, the boys at the ACBS know that the 327 wasn't marinized until 58. I thought a period correct engine was a one point deduction but looked it up and it's a mandatory 2 pointer.

From the ACBS judging rules:

"ENGINE and ENGINE COMPARTMENT

Propulsion equipment and related components, except instruments;

1 Original or replacement with same engine model and age or optionally offered original engine: No mandatory deduction.

2 Any engine totally out of character with the age, type and style of the boat: 7 point mandatory deduction.

3 Replacement engine, later (or earlier) model than originally offered but no longer in production and, in character with the age, type and style of boat: 2 point mandatory deduction."

I want to see that boat receive a "best of show" and teach some of the ACBS members that CC did make top of the line boats and not just plywood "throw aways"!! I was very surprised when I received mine for the Atom!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-11-2008 at 1:06pm
Allen hangs with Erik...

Nice find Alan, and I might have to take the 2 points!
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-11-2008 at 1:14pm
Pete, unless Alan's legs are broken I'd bet there's something inside him that has already envisioned barefooting behind this thing at least once. Better leave in the 8-banger for now!
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-11-2008 at 1:15pm
Originally posted by quinner quinner wrote:

PS, Pete, who is Allen??

Thanks for pointing out my error!! I sure don't want to start another "C" and "K" issue!! Must be my excitement and not proofing my posts!!
Sorry Alan

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-11-2008 at 1:34pm
Originally posted by M3Fan M3Fan wrote:

I'd bet there's something inside him that has already envisioned barefooting behind this thing at least once. Better leave in the 8-banger for now!

Joel,
I did say to keep it for now!

BTW, with 160HP and the weight of the boat, I hope he just keeps envisioning it!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-11-2008 at 2:59pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Originally posted by M3Fan M3Fan wrote:

I'd bet there's something inside him that has already envisioned barefooting behind this thing at least once. Better leave in the 8-banger for now!

Joel,
I did say to keep it for now!

BTW, with 160HP and the weight of the boat, I hope he just keeps envisioning it!

Pete, It's got the 225hp 327 model but I would still be surprised to see it get to footin speed. I really am envisioning cruising around with the dual exhaust singing my favorite tune.

Ps, I was surpised how light the boat is at this point but I carried home about 1000# of stuff in the uhaul.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-11-2008 at 3:31pm
Originally posted by 81nautique 81nautique wrote:

Pete, It's got the 225hp 327 model but I would still be surprised to see it get to footin speed.

Really? About how much would a 17' wooden boat this style weigh? I would have thought 40's would be possible with that sort of power.

Like I told you before Alan, this boat could hardly have gone to a better person- I know you will do it justice! Im looking forward to seeing the process.

Too bad that trailer you hauled it back on was such a clunker- that boat deserves better!
critter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote critter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-11-2008 at 3:45pm
Tim, per the reference section, that boat is 18'9" with a 7' beam.
It does not list a weight.
1980 Ski Nautique
1966 Barracuda
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-11-2008 at 3:51pm
Alan,
Get the model # off the engine. 58 would be the year that the 327's were just comming out. It could be the 250CI too. The 250 would be the 160HP! I don't feel they were getting the 225HP out of the 327 until about 1960 or 61. With the side draft carbs, the early 327's were 188HP. With the engine model # I'll be able to get the exact specs.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-11-2008 at 4:04pm
Originally posted by critter critter wrote:

Tim, per the reference section, that boat is 18'9" with a 7' beam.
It does not list a weight.

Exactly, the boat is the same size length and beam as a 2001 nautique. Much taller freeboard but otherwise the same.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-11-2008 at 4:07pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Alan,
Get the model # off the engine. 58 would be the year that the 327's were just comming out. It could be the 250CI too. The 250 would be the 160HP! I don't feel they were getting the 225HP out of the 327 until about 1960 or 61. With the side draft carbs, the early 327's were 188HP. With the engine model # I'll be able to get the exact specs.

I'll get the numbers later but there is a tag on the engine that says 225 hp.

critter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote critter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-11-2008 at 4:19pm
Originally posted by 81nautique 81nautique wrote:

I'll get the numbers later but there is a tag on the engine that says 225 hp.

Could be that Reid was there. He has gained a lot of HP by replacing those stickers
1980 Ski Nautique
1966 Barracuda
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-11-2008 at 6:09pm
Pete, Numbers off the engine are K6216, tag says Gray Marine V-8 225
reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-11-2008 at 8:48pm
Wow! I want one of those! I've missed too much of this new acquisition thread. You may have gotten a message from me last week Alan, and I'm certainly happy for you. And I've got a Gray Marine 310 tag if you'd like to increase the HP quite a bit. (Thanks for lettin that one out of bag, critter).   
ReidP
1973 Mustang

quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-11-2008 at 9:52pm
Reid,

If you really want some HP gains I have some Vortec and Chevy stickers we can send down south.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-11-2008 at 9:55pm
Alan,
I got a answer. K6216 is not the model number but it is a serial number. K6216 would be of 1958 production. See if there's another # on the tag.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
The Godfather View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Godfather Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-12-2008 at 12:02am
Pete, did you give Magic the photo's I sent you.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-12-2008 at 2:15am
Glad you and Dana made it there and back safe and sound. Happy to contribute to the project!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-12-2008 at 2:17am
Spent a few hours tonight opening up some more boxes of parts, just keeps getting better. Here's a few pictures of the hardware. Also found a carton of plastic ziplock bags full of bits and pieces all labeled for identification. Very fortunate this was taken apart by a pro.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-12-2008 at 7:33am
Originally posted by The Godfather The Godfather wrote:

Pete, did you give Magic the photo's I sent you.

Dave,
Yes, got it when I got to work this morning and forwarded it on to Alan.

Man you're holding out on us!! Stuff like this Kieth should be putting in our ref. section!! I know, digging through the archives is time consuming. How about considering digging out a couple of boxes of the lit. and loaning it to one of our members to scan?

Alan,
I just caught a interesting detail. The pictures show black step pads. Your's are white. This however makes reproducing them easy! Pulling a hard mold with Devcon epoxy off the existing and then recasting them in black Devcon urethane rubber!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-12-2008 at 7:57am
Sure is a lot of eye candy there.

But I bet JBear only noticed the girls
If you're going through hell, keep going

89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-12-2008 at 8:42am
Originally posted by lewy2001 lewy2001 wrote:

Sure is a lot of eye candy there.
But I bet JBear only noticed the girls

Lewy,
The only problem is that even at John and my ages it's like looking at pictures of our mothers!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-12-2008 at 8:53am
Now you mention it they do look it bit like mum.

The hurricane was built before I was born but not buy much.
If you're going through hell, keep going

89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-12-2008 at 9:43am
Alan,
Any screws for the deck hardware? If you did get them, take a real close look at their condition. Chrome plated brass don't hold up to may removals/reuse very well. They should all be oval head slotted. The best alternate (and accepted) are stainless oval heads sheet metal. I actually like sheet metal better than a wood screw because of the full length deeper and sharper threads on them. They hold better and a shank pilot hole doesn't need to be drilled. The only problem with them is each head needs to be buffed out to the mirror chrome like finish! I know you've got the buffing down though!!

Edit: I see screws in the baggies!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
The Godfather View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Godfather Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-12-2008 at 9:56am
I am glad you like the photo's and build sheet info.

Just wanted to add something with the project.

I can see the smiles of Alan face when he opens the boxes up and say's give me another one Dana.. (hehe)
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-12-2008 at 10:36am
Wow Dave, I hadn't seen Pete's email yet so this was a nice surprise this morning, Thank you so much. We've scoured the internet and just can't find much on this boat so these pics are really the only reference we have. Truly appreciated.

Pete the step pads are actually black, the boat sat in a barn from 1975 to 2000 and was covered in an 1/8" of dust and thats what you're seeing on the pads, they are in pretty good shape and may be ok once cleaned up.

Yes, lots of baggies of screws, it's going to kill me not to be able to start on this until next fall but I'll probably atleast survey the mechanical items and get started on some of those things.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-12-2008 at 10:48am
Alan,
Don't loose the pictures! Print them out (photo quality paper) and start a portfolio. You will need the back up and possibly would want to make a display for showing.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-12-2008 at 11:35am
The hardware looks really nice. Wonder what it cost someone to rechrome all that?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-12-2008 at 11:47am
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

The hardware looks really nice. Wonder what it cost someone to rechrome all that?

Bruce, the receipt was in with the paperwork I got with the boat. $1560 in 2001
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234 50>
  Share Topic