NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Jet engine for boats

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Jet engine for boats
    Posted: September-11-2008 at 8:07pm
Hi Guys
When I was looking for the rolls engine came across this, something rolls are playing with back in 2003 said it could be good for 300 hp
So we could have a SN RR jet one day.

A revolutionary new steam engine, described by its inventors as "an underwater jet engine", may soon be powering dinghies and speedboats more efficiently, cleanly and safely than a conventional outboard motor.

The Pursuit Marine Drive produces thrust by using the energy from high-pressure steam to draw in water through an intake at the front and expel it at high speed through the rear. The steam emerges at high speed from a rearward-facing ring-shaped nozzle into a cone-shaped chamber, where it mixes with the water (see graphic). Shock waves created as the steam condenses are focused by the chamber to blast water out of the back.

The drive was invented by Australian engineer Alan Burns and developed in Britain by engineers at Pursuit Dynamics in Royston, Hertfordshire. Last week, New Scientist witnessed a version just 20 centimetres long develop around 30 horsepower (22 kilowatts) in a test tank, enough to power a speedboat. But the company says it can be scaled up to about 300 horsepower.

A crucial element of the design is that water flowing into the engine draws in air through a vent ahead of the steam jet. The air bubbles change the way the steam mixes with the water, and this significantly increases the engine's efficiency.

Heat scavenger
Computer simulations have shown how this works, but Pursuit Dynamics is keeping the details secret. "We know the answer," says Mike Todman, the company's chief technical officer, who was previously chief engineer with the marine engine division of Rolls-Royce. But he says it will not be revealed until patents are granted.

Steam for the drive is generated in a small boiler burning diesel or petrol. If the drive is being used to assist propulsion in a ship, the boiler can scavenge waste heat from conventional engines. It can be fed by seawater if necessary.

The boiler may be built from corrosion-proof materials, and if the steam flows fast enough it will blast out any other deposits. With no moving internal parts, and no propeller, the engine should be cheap to manufacture. It is also robust, and can easily cope if seaweed or rope are drawn into the inlet.

Water emerging from the engine is no more than 3 or 4 °C warmer than the water it draws in, so there is no danger of scalding. And as it does not leak oil like conventional outboards, and has no propeller that could injure large sea creatures, it should be less damaging to the environment.

The steam drive can also function as an extremely robust pump. It can shift water, sewage or oil, and in a demonstration for New Scientist, Todman shoved large quantities of lard and cardboard into the inlet without the pump suffering any ill effects. It could even mix materials used by the food industry. "It doesn't simply mix -- it macerates," says Todman.

Pursuit Dynamics itself does not plan to manufacture the engine. Instead, the company hopes by the end of the year to have licensed other manufacturers to make it.

Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2008 at 8:50pm
Reidp is on the road and the cat is out of the bag.Maybe no one at Lake George will have a chance to read this before the big race.
A lot of planning went into the secret power plant and the install before the race...................Boat dr
uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2008 at 8:55pm
Good one boat dr, so there is a CC RR Jet.
Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN
MaddMarxx View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MaddMarxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2008 at 10:38pm
If you drink Beer and eat Taco bell you will have almost the same thing going on!
Brady View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2008 at 11:13pm
MM
Try Old Milwaukee and White Castles, works even better
Charlie
Three Lakes, Wisconsin
69 Barracuda
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-12-2008 at 12:50am
I wonder what the treehuggers will think of my new coal fired ride:

“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
OM45GE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OM45GE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-12-2008 at 9:16am
Originally posted by SNobsessed SNobsessed wrote:

Can you help me convert our '89? It would look sweet chugging up the river!
1989 SN 2001
luhuanhuan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote luhuanhuan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-31-2011 at 5:18am
Wow! Thank you so much for doing this!
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-31-2011 at 10:57am
[QUOTE=SNobsessed] I wonder what the treehuggers will think of my new coal fired ride:QUOTE]

Did you get the Pro Boss where you have to shovel coal, or the GT40 with the automatic coal feed?
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-31-2011 at 9:59pm
if its a worm feed you can change the gear box ratio to stuff it a bit faster. be careful of clinkers
former skylark owner now a formula but I cant let this place go
seacamper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seacamper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-01-2011 at 10:15pm
Originally posted by OM45GE OM45GE wrote:

Originally posted by SNobsessed SNobsessed wrote:

[IMG]uploads/steam.jpg">

Can you help me convert our '89? It would look sweet chugging up the river!

Can someone please doctor this picture to have this boat pulling Pete on a tube?
1980 Ski Nautique Boat Bar
1988 Mastercraft Tristar Open Bow
1988 Mastercraft Tristar Closed Bow
1969 Seacamper Houseboat
1986 Harris Pontoon
2004 Seadoo GTX SC + Flydive Xboard
1999 Adventurecraft
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic