NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

63 Debonaire

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234>
Author
reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-18-2008 at 1:09am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Don't forget that Reid has offered you a 413 earlier in this thread.

Indeed, and did I mention that the 413 "is" the 280 HP engine they were referring to. And I even think it's a '63 model engine. How much more original can you get? And while 280 HP isn't much for 413 cubes, if you're doing a rebuild, you can get to 320 or so HP for very minimal money and still not turn over 4400-4500 rpm.   

While I normally love to disagree with Pete just for fun, I'm with him on the 409, but HW's idea has merit as well. I did however, like that '63 Classic from the Orlando CC reunion with the GT40. Remember MaddMarx's picts?
ReidP
1973 Mustang

Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-18-2008 at 10:52am
Originally posted by reidp reidp wrote:

Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Don't forget that Reid has offered you a 413 earlier in this thread.

Indeed, and did I mention that the 413 "is" the 280 HP engine they were referring to. And I even think it's a '63 model engine. How much more original can you get? And while 280 HP isn't much for 413 cubes, if you're doing a rebuild, you can get to 320 or so HP for very minimal money and still not turn over 4400-4500 rpm.   

While I normally love to disagree with Pete just for fun, I'm with him on the 409, but HW's idea has merit as well. I did however, like that '63 Classic from the Orlando CC reunion with the GT40. Remember MaddMarx's picts?
I did however, like that '63 Classic from the Orlando CC reunion with the GT40. Remember MaddMarx's picts?

Never saw those pictures, but would like to. MaddMarx any chance of reposting them or a link?
reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-18-2008 at 12:37pm
Bruce, here is the thread. Scroll down til you see it. Every time I look at that boat it looks better and better, esp from a Classic owner's perspective. Even with that new-fangled engine.    

http://www.correctcraftfan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=7681&PN=1&TPN=2
ReidP
1973 Mustang

Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-18-2008 at 1:28pm
Thanks, Reid. That is a nice boat, even with all the mods, but I bet it doesn't sound nearly as good as yours.
69barri View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 69barri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-18-2008 at 2:37pm
I do think that my Barracuda needs a serious tune-up, even though the engine does run smooth in the top end without any missing. I am not sure what RPM i am turning since I do not have a working tachometer. I plan to address these issues now that I am going through it, and have someone look at the transmission. Is Nautique's of Orlando as reputable for service? I am used to bringing my boat to Woody at Southeast, but we all know what happened there. A 426 would be an awesome motor for the Debonnaire, any ideas where to get a reverse rotation long block from?
adamt View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adamt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-18-2008 at 7:09pm

I'd stick with the old Southeast Correct Craft for now, just my uneducated opinion.

A quote from the Boat Dr. from another thread when the same question came up:

"Wake 2001, do you have to ask that question? Southeast has the track record for service and parts.
Only the name was changed, all else remains the same.My money is on Woody and his team to survive thru the downturn of recreation boating,hope the best for the new CC dealership. But it is gonna be tough to compete for the service in the Orlando market.
Appears bad timing to open a New Dealership of any type today, a good repeat customer base is not accumulated with only a lighted sign, a show room and an onknown service center...........Boat dr
"Talk is cheap, good service is not"
-Adam

1973 Skier
69barri View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 69barri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2009 at 10:35pm
Just picked up the boat in Conneticut, and posted it to the Diaries just now. enjoy
bigmoparjeff View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigmoparjeff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2012 at 12:39am
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

Pretty rare boats. Wonder what ever happened to this one?

http://www.correctcraftfan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=5269&KW=debonaire

Hi Everybody,

It's been a few years since he asked, but I have the answer to Riley's question: It's parked in my driveway.

The Debonnaire is still owned by Lisa, who had posted questions about it several years ago. Sadly, her husband has recently passed away at a young age and she is looking to part with the boat at this time. I've been a friend of the family since the mid-eighties and have been tasked with finding a new home for the boat. The hard part is comming up with a fair value for it, since it's so rare and there isn't much in previous sales to go by. I'm not looking to make a killing on it, but don't want to give it away either. From reading this thread, it certainly sounds like it is a boat the deserves to be restored. It does need a complete cosmetic restoration, along with mechanical work too. I got it running fine with a carburetor off of one of my cars, but was told that the engine is getting tired and is due for a rebuild.

Does anyone have any thoughts on what I should ask for the boat?

Thanks, Jeff

nautique frk View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautique frk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2012 at 12:44am
Very Cool boat Jeff, post more photos, kind of a cross between a Marauder and a San Juan.
69barri View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 69barri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2012 at 9:34pm
That is a great looking Debonnaire! It is slightly different from mine though. My exhaust is much closer together and exits between the stringers rather than outside as it looks like on this boat. Maybe the rolls had the extra room originally? This one is in much better shape than mine was, I hope someone gives it a good home!
1963 Debonnaire Deluxe
1972 Separator Jet Boat
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2012 at 10:21pm
are the hardtops on those removable?
former skylark owner now a formula but I cant let this place go
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautique frk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-03-2012 at 2:06am
Jeff, the rudder looks bent and not correct can you post more photos ? what are you thinking on price ?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigmoparjeff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-03-2012 at 2:50am
Hi Mike, The difference between the exhaust ports could be due to being different year boats, '63 vs '64, or more likely it could be as you say, a special feature of the RR equipped units. With so few around it's difficult to know what changes were made over the years. I checked out the diary on your boat. It looks like it was coming along very nicely. Is it all done now? It sounds like you had similar issues with the cracked gel coat that this boat has, which I guess is typical for any old fiberglass boat that has been out in the weather for 40+ years. The foors and stringers appear to be solid in this one though. You also have the hardtop roof, which reminds me of all the General Motors cars in the mid-sixties with roofs that were contoured to look like convertible tops.

The top is removeable. It clamps to the windshield header, and the rear has screws going through a piece of trim that also acts as a reinforcement.

As requested, here are some more pics:

Jeff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigmoparjeff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-04-2012 at 1:54am
Originally posted by nautique frk nautique frk wrote:

Jeff, the rudder looks bent and not correct can you post more photos ? what are you thinking on price ?

You are correct. The original rudder got smashed against the rocks during a storm, and a local shop fabricated one out of stainless steel. It's not the best job, and appears that it got bent at some point.

Price is a tough one. The big question would be: Is a Debonnaire worth more than one of the smaller Correct Craft boats of the same year due to it's rarity? I know that my friend was offered crazy money for it about 10 years ago, but refused the offer because he had grown up with the boat in the family, and it had too much sentimental value to part with. I think that was a once in a lifetime, never to happen again offer. Of course, no one kept any contact info for the person who was interested in it. I had a guy stop by today to drop off some vintage car parts for an upcomming show, and he happens to be into vintage boats. He has a restored Chris-Craft, and he really liked the Debonnaire. He thought that $5000 would be a fair price for it. He took some pictures to show to other people that he knows who collect vintage boats to see if any of them would be interested in it.

Jeff

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-04-2012 at 2:52am
Jeff don't take this wrong but- just because something is rare does not make it more valuable,it just could be that it wasn't right for the times. It may take awhile but I'm sure it will sell,it just needs the right person. It seems to be complete and with a good sanding and buff you'll never have to worry about not being seen.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-04-2012 at 10:56am
I can't see many people wanting to spend $5K on a boat in need of restoration, so that would be a really good offer.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigmoparjeff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-04-2012 at 5:27pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Jeff don't take this wrong but- just because something is rare does not make it more valuable,it just could be that it wasn't right for the times. It may take awhile but I'm sure it will sell,it just needs the right person. It seems to be complete and with a good sanding and buff you'll never have to worry about not being seen.

Don't worry, I won't take it wrong, as I'm not saying that it's worth more due to it's rarity, I'm only asking if it is. I see some beautifully restored mid-60's Barracudas with asking prices around $8000. (If I had a spare 9 grand, I'd be very tempted to buy the one out in California). If a Debonnaire is worth the same as a Barracuda, then I would think that this boat would probably be in the $1500-$2000 range. It's possible that it's less desirable than a Barracuda, therefore worth even less. One would think that the 426 would add some value to the boat, as it certainly does in a Chrysler car of the same vintage. The engine was only available for 3 years in cars, and very few had them. The guy who looked at it yesterday may have been basing his guess of the value on what an equivalent Chris-Craft would be worth. He's not in the market for another boat, but he said if I get down around $2500 that he might not be able to resist buying it.

I'll be vending at the big Chrysler show in Carlisle, PA. this weekend, and I plan to make up a poster with the boat on it to see if I can tempt some Chrysler fans into adding a boat to their collection.

Jeff
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautique frk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-05-2012 at 2:33pm
Jeff, It is a rare boat for sure and it is nice and complete with original harware,etc. I think $2500.00 would be closer to a fair value. It is indeed a cool boat. I hope that someone on here gets it and brings it back to glory on the water.

Air206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Air206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2016 at 12:52am
Whatever happened to this boat?
69barri View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 69barri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2016 at 9:49am
The Debonnaire is currently located on Lake Oconee. We take it out as much as we can over the summers, and it is running great. Jan from Nautilus Restorations did a majority of the work on the boat, here is a link to his website.

Nautilus Restorations

I am still waiting to finish up the hard top that I have for the boat, other than that we are just enjoying it!

Here is a picture of it on Lake Oconoee with my brother's 1969 Barracuda

1963 Debonnaire Deluxe
1972 Separator Jet Boat
Air206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Air206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2016 at 9:59am
Holy Cow! That's AWESOME!!!!!

Please, please. please BRING THAT TO A REUNION AROUND ME!
74Wind View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2016 at 10:12am
We keep ours on Oconee also (Sugar Creek Marina)....look forward to seeing it....
1974 Southwind 18
1975 Century Mark II
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2016 at 10:17am
This one's still hanging out in Maine, although it's going to start deteriorating fast now that the cover is shot.
74Wind View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2016 at 10:17am
PS: sounds like a good excuse to drag Kermit over for a little mini-mini, eh Tim?
1974 Southwind 18
1975 Century Mark II
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2016 at 10:43am
Sounds good to me Jeffro...... Lets do it!
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2016 at 10:44am
Is the one in Maine the one previously registered in PA and posted by BigMoparJeff?
69barri View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 69barri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2016 at 2:07pm
74Wind,

I keep mine at the storage units off of Lake Oconee Parkway, right near Fish Tale Marina. I'm getting married end of May, so I doubt we will have the chance to take it out again before then. Hopefully we will bump into each other sometime in June.

Thanks,
Mike
1963 Debonnaire Deluxe
1972 Separator Jet Boat
74Wind View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2016 at 2:17pm
Originally posted by 69barri 69barri wrote:

74Wind,

I keep mine at the storage units off of Lake Oconee Parkway, right near Fish Tale Marina. I'm getting married end of May, so I doubt we will have the chance to take it out again before then. Hopefully we will bump into each other sometime in June.

Thanks,
Mike

I know fish tales, rack barn just past the bridge. Congrats on wedding, we'll have to get together this summer...per above, Morfoot is in, maybe a few more by then??

Tim: remember the thread last year from the guy who was moving to Milledgeville? Can't recall the thread title or his name, but if you do, we should invite him when the time comes......
1974 Southwind 18
1975 Century Mark II
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2016 at 4:58pm
Originally posted by skutsch skutsch wrote:

Is the one in Maine the one previously registered in PA and posted by BigMoparJeff?

No. This ones been there for at least a few years, John Sullivan (bachose) knows the story. I drove by it the other day and took that picture.
Bakchose View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bakchose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2016 at 9:38am
Bruce that has to be the fourth blue tarp someone has put on it since I posted it on here. I do have a lead on who might own it. Forgot his name but I know it belongs to one of two cottages. I haven't pursued it do to a lack of time & space. If you are in my area again swing by and check out my construction project. The camp should be lifted and moved across the road this weekend. Pending the weather.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234>
  Share Topic