Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

63 Debonaire

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234>
Author
OM45GE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OM45GE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2008 at 10:22am
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

Pretty rare boats. Wonder what ever happened to this one?

http://www.correctcraftfan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=5269&KW=debonaire

I wonder if it's the SAME boat!?!? You could call that color pink based on the photos. That and having a RR engine makes me wonder.

I knew a fellow in our hometown years ago that had a wooden unlimited hydroplane that had a Rolls Royce aircraft V12 in it. Obviously not the same motor that would have been in this boat. He died in a plane crash years ago and I never saw the boat or his collection of vintage cars and motorcycles again.
1989 SN 2001
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2008 at 12:30pm
Originally posted by The Godfather The Godfather wrote:

69barri, did you get my e-mail from Mr. Ralph..

I understand that this hull was the only one that CC made with the Rolls engine!!! It sure would be nice to put one back in! When you talk to the seller, see if he knows where the Rolls went. I'll bet a restorer of something grabbed it!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
69barri View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 69barri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2008 at 4:11pm
As far as I know the motor for the boat was lost a long time ago, long before the seller actually got it. From what he knows he is the second owner of the boat. He also said that these Rolls Royce engines were not known for their reliability or ease to work on. Apparently they made better anchors than engines. If someone knew where to get an engine along with a good supply of boats and a working knowledge to put it all together, I wouldn't be against putting it in the boat.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2008 at 5:17pm
Michael, Ive never heard of a unreliable Rolls!! Don't get your hopes up on finding one of the Rolls engine. There is only one listed in the ACBS directory. The engine is in a 1930 Plyms 26' sedan. Owned by a Bjorn Melander in Sweden!!!

You could email him and ask about the engine he has. It may be interesting. He's at: bjorn.melander@telia.com

Reid's deal sounds pretty good.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2008 at 5:28pm
Pete, I thought Rolls were nortoriously unreliable. I read a story about a New Yorker that had one that was always breaking down. He said when you break down in a Rolls, not only people don't stop to help you, they honk and give you the finger when the ride by.
uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2008 at 7:35pm
Hi Guys
Well it took a bit of finding but I think this is the Rolls engine, I have read its the silver cloud car engine from 59 to around 65 6.23 L then stroked up to 6.7L and used in the cars up 1990, they say its design is from a 1949 caddy engine,( you guys will know ) if so its a US engine to being with the bore size converts back to 4.00.
When the world needs a V8 we go to the US as its usually been done already.

Picture of the boat engine was 240 hp and a early car engine just not sure if the engines ran RR for boats!

Hope this helps, sorry took so long but working 24/7 on stores opening for Christmas should slow down by Nov.

Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2008 at 7:47pm
Rodger,
Thanks for finding the picture! I googled the Rolls and went through 8 pages and found nothing!

Bruce,
You could be correct about the reliability. I just thought that it being a Rolls it would be the finest engine built. Of coarse I've only be in one of the cars once in my life and also haven't seen any reports on them in Consumer Reports lately!!

What would the two fittings on the tail end of the starter be for?? Fancy waterproof electrical terminals?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2008 at 8:15pm
It's definately an exotic looking engine. I wonder if any are still in existance?

I think there's an old Correct Craft in the diaries with a Packard engine.
adamt View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adamt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2008 at 8:38pm
-Adam

1973 Skier
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2008 at 9:01pm
packard equals rolls engine??? if so there's old wood boat here in sale with a Packard inline 6.
MarineTech View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarineTech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2008 at 10:01pm
Originally posted by adamt adamt wrote:

Adam,
It appears to be a water filter assy. It looks just like the ones on my V8 cummings diesels in my big pacemaker.
They're used to filter out impurities in the closed cooling system, could be the same on this one.
Ken

Projects

Luchog wrote:   "Anyway, you're full of s79t"

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2008 at 10:27pm
Originally posted by MarineTech MarineTech wrote:

Adam,
It appears to be a water filter assy.
Ken

Ken, Notice there's another one on the other side. I've got a feeling that they are the closed cooling heat exchangers. We can't see it in the picture but I'll say there are a couple more hose fittings on the other side of each. Two to the block and another two the the RWP - sitting between the HX's.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2008 at 10:35pm
Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN
MarineTech View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarineTech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-12-2008 at 12:16am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Ken, Notice there's another one on the other side. I've got a feeling that they are the closed cooling heat exchangers.

Pete, after a closer look, you're probably right....I mistakenly noticed the rounded portion of the lower block going the length of the engine and thought THAT was a heat exchanger. In the later pic posted it's clearly part of the block, leaving not much choice but for the other two to be exchangers.
Ken
Projects

Luchog wrote:   "Anyway, you're full of s79t"

uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-14-2008 at 8:55am
Some more shots of this engine, the ref is RR LM 841
They say its a good engine but has a problem with age, as the bores are sleeves with a rubber seal at the base, these brake down over years,which over heats the engine and can crack the block. The alloy block has a high silicon content which is not good for welding they say, maybe why the engine has gone.

Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN
69barri View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 69barri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-17-2008 at 2:36am
Well I am finally going up north to pick this boat up. I am leaving Orlando FL on the 27th to make the two day trip to CT and pick up the boat. Bit of a long haul, but worth it for what seems to be the only Debonnaire still in existence. The owner has told me that the boat still contains all of the original hardware including the windshield. The only thing missing, as I had mentioned before is the engine and transmission. The owner told me of two Palmer-Johnson engines that he has available, a possibility for the boat. I am thinking about maybe getting a drop in crate engine from PCM, perhaps the 409.... Pictures to follow in the next coming weeks.
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-17-2008 at 3:25am
Looking forward to seeing the pics. BKH
Livin' the Dream

adamt View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adamt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-17-2008 at 3:39am

Originally posted by 69barri 69barri wrote:

Hey reid do you have any interest in selling that motor trans combination?? I am located in Orlando so maybe we could arrange a meeting halfway or something. Are parts readily accessible for that engine?

Well I am finally going up north to pick this boat up. I am leaving Orlando FL on the 27th to make the two day trip to CT and pick up the boat.

I'm a little confused, are you located in Orlando or Tampa? If you're in Orlando, I'd love to see the boat when you bring it home.
-Adam

1973 Skier
69barri View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 69barri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-17-2008 at 4:08am
I go to school over in Tampa, but my parents live in Orlando so I will be home there for the holidays. I should have the boat back in Orlando around the 3rd or 4th, depending on how long the drive actually takes. I will be leaving the boat in Maitland, you are more than welcome to come by and see it then.
adamt View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adamt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-17-2008 at 4:29am

Sounds like a good plan, good luck with the trip Where do you go out with the Barricuda?
-Adam

1973 Skier
69barri View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 69barri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-17-2008 at 6:13am
I have mainly taken the Barracuda out on my parents lake, Lake Seminary, but I have also taken it a few times up and down the St. Johns River with my Dad's 66 Wildcat. Over the summer our family took both boats to the Keys and went snorkeling and scuba diving off the reefs with them. Overall the Barracuda has treated me great for the year and a half I have owned it but it is in dire need of a restoration which I have just recently started.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-17-2008 at 7:41am
Michael,
A 409? You're forgetting the first half of this thread!! Really, I feel as well as others, that you wouldn't be doing this classic any good by dropping in modern power. It sounds like you really don't what to restore this boat!! How are you planning to use the boat? Look into the Palmer. Although it's not listed as a option, it's certainly more appropriate.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-17-2008 at 11:24am
Michael, where in CT is the boat? I will be back there for xmas.
69barri View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 69barri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-17-2008 at 2:31pm
Pete,
I understand your opposition to the modern engine swap for the Debonnaire. I am not against keeping it era-correct as long as pricing and reliability do not suffer. This website does not have any reference material on the 1963 Debonnaire, but the 1965 Brochure showed that the boat could come equipped with a 280 hp Chrysler. Now I doubt that this engine is a 318 so is it a 340 or a 360? 440 even? I would not mind putting one of these engines in the boat since both my Barracuda and my dad's wildcat have a 318 and they run strong and sound great. Are you opposed to an original engine with some performance modifications? Nothing too extreme, would just like to get more speed out of the Barracuda for footing, stuck around 32 right now with a 12 x 14 three blade prop.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-17-2008 at 3:09pm
Michael,
My thoughts are simply getting something more appropriate for the boat. Certainly a engine offered from the factory would be the best! By the mid 60's all the V8's were reliable. Maybe someone like Reid will step in and fill in the blanks on the Chryslers in the 62 to 64 year range. I think it's too early for the 340,360,440. Maybe a 413 or 426?? I see in the 65 brochure they went up to a 400HP. That may be a high performance 426? The choices are many, even Interceptors. Lots of engines out there from repowers. Of course rebuilding would be needed but that may even be cheaper that a new engine!

Don't forget that Reid has offered you a 413 earlier in this thread.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-17-2008 at 3:25pm
I would like to see him put in that 409 just to piss off Pete.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-17-2008 at 4:21pm
What do you suppose a brand new 409 goes for, $10k?
RainDog View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RainDog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-17-2008 at 5:04pm

Pete,
...would just like to get more speed out of the Barracuda for footing, stuck around 32 right now with a 12 x 14 three blade prop.

Whoa, kemosabie. Something is amiss. I can get 42 MPH GPS @ 4200 RPM on the Classic with a AMC 327 spinning a 4 blade 12x13 OJ. Not exactly a top end setup. I'd figure the 318 should put out equal if not more power than the 327, especially on the top end. I'd guess you should be able to do 40 MPH all day. I'd be looking for a problem.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-17-2008 at 5:35pm
Originally posted by RainDog RainDog wrote:

Pete,
...would just like to get more speed out of the Barracuda for footing, stuck around 32 right now with a 12 x 14 three blade prop.

Whoa, kemosabie. Something is amiss. I can get 42 MPH GPS @ 4200 RPM on the Classic with a AMC 327 spinning a 4 blade 12x13 OJ. Not exactly a top end setup. I'd figure the 318 should put out equal if not more power than the 327, especially on the top end. I'd guess you should be able to do 40 MPH all day. I'd be looking for a problem.

Agreed. That boat doesnt need performance parts... it needs a tune up (at the minimum).
65 'cuda View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 65 'cuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-17-2008 at 8:53pm
Something is amiss, my stock m318 (polyhead) in my '65 Barracuda will do 44 mph plus or minus a couple of tenths on the gps, its spinning a 12 x 14 OJ legend at 4100 plus rpm.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234>
  Share Topic