NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Engine info 351 Ford Commander

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
Author
ultrarunner View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrarunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Engine info 351 Ford Commander
    Posted: November-15-2012 at 12:39pm
Myerin, the Commander manual as well as the parts list manual is in the reference section and can be downloaded.

Mark

ps. what manuals might you have that aren't in our reference section?
myerin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote myerin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-14-2012 at 9:14pm
Nice job (what hull is that)?. Sorry for replying to such an old post but I am looking for the manuals for the 351 Commanders also. Will trade for some of the manuals in my database. Thanks for any help you can give me.
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2009 at 11:58am
Mikkel, you have it as bad as so many of us do!

Nice looking work and get us a shot of that smile on your next run!   
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
Brktracer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brktracer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2009 at 11:51am
Mikkel: Great job. If that engine runs as good as it looks you'll have a great summer. Let us know how it runs with the new prop.

SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2009 at 11:29pm
Mikkel - Awesome work! You are going to have a blast this summer showing this beauty off!
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Mikkel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikkel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2009 at 7:51pm
Hi again guys,

Here's an update on my project. I haven't taken a lot of pictures since I pulled everything apart, so you'll have to make do with the final result :-)
It turned out to be much more of a project than I originally thought. I think I have spent the better part of 300 hours, a LOT of greenbacks and almost every spare weekend since November. The most time was spent taking the engine apart, cleaning the parts down to the bare metal and repainting them, but I think the final result is worth every hour.

I replaced all bearings, gaskets, oil pump, pistons, rings, connecting rods, lifters, alternator. The heads have been machined and exhaust valves replaced. Engine mounts have been replaced. New control cables, prop and propshaft are on their way. Throttle, carburettor and salt water pump has been rebuilt. Distributor has been rebuilt and fitted with Prestolite electronic ignition module (this was so easy and works SO good) Almost every hose has been replaced, every instrument except two and I have built a complete new wiring harness from scratch.
Now the engine fires up instantly and runs so smooth I cannot believe the difference! I can't wait to have the last bits done so I can see how it sails - I think it'll be one good summer!

It probably would have been cheaper to buy a replacement, but not nearly as fun. Plus now I know every nut and bolt of the boat, what might come in handy later on.

Enjoy the pictures :-)

Before:

After:

Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2009 at 1:01pm
Now is that a great manual or what???

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrarunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-03-2009 at 2:01pm
Thanks for the update Mikkel. Please post some pictures of your progress.

thanks,

Ultra
Mikkel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikkel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-03-2009 at 1:59pm
Once again, thank you very much.

I've already downloaded all of the stuff, and I'm putting it to good use almost as we speak :-)The job is getting on really well. Most of the major parts have been cleaned down completely to the bare metal and are already primed - I'm sure it'll look absolutely amazing once I get everything finished. Hopefully the engine will run as good as it looks also when I'm done. :-))

Cheers,
Mikkel
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrarunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-28-2009 at 12:30am
Mikkel, TiqueFan, Mousecreek, Luchog, et. al., Keith has posted the Commander Service/Overhaul manual and the Parts manual in the reference section. They are at the bottom of the list.

I hope they are of use to you all.

Ultra.
Mikkel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikkel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-07-2009 at 5:06pm
Thank you very much :-) This sure is greatly appreciated! I'm looking forward to seeing the manuals in the reference section. The quality of the parts manual is no less than excellent. Good job :-)
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrarunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-07-2009 at 12:13pm
Hey mouse, I put all the manuals on a CD and mailed it to Keith yesterday. So look for the manuals in the reference section shortly.
mousecreek View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mousecreek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-07-2009 at 12:06pm
ultrarunner - Thanks for doing the manuals. I've been after Commander Manuals since I bought my '79 2 years ago. You are my hero. Are you emailing the pdfs, or just letting Keith handle distribution?
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrarunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-06-2009 at 2:55pm
Mikkel, Luchog, et. al., I mailed off a CD with the Commander manuals to Keith today. So you should seem them in the reference section shortly. So sorry I got side-tracked and it took this long to get them to you all.

I hope they help.

Ultra.
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-04-2009 at 10:59pm
Ultra great news!!

My email address are Luchog@arnet.com.ar or Luchog01@hotmail.com

thank you a lot!
TiqueFan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TiqueFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-04-2009 at 4:36pm
Thanks Mark. My e-mail is aqbhudson1@hotmail.com.

I appreciate your getting these scanned for us. I'd also like to get the name of the guy in Miami you mentioned that had new old stock Commander parts. I need several replacement parts that I have not been able to source.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrarunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-04-2009 at 1:16pm
Mikkel, I can't send an attachment through this system. Ultra
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-04-2009 at 1:14pm
Originally posted by Mikkel Mikkel wrote:

I still can't find out how this private messaging system works, is it not enabled, or am I doing something wrong?

Probably because there isnt one! The site just allows you to send emails- there is no private message feature.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrarunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-04-2009 at 1:13pm
Hi Mikkel. I see that I did not have my email activated in my profile. However I see yours now and I'll see what I can get you. I'm still working on compressing these PDF files small enough to email and still give quality resolution. The Engine manual and transmission manual are really big files. In the mean time I have emailed you the Engine parts list manual.

Ultra
Mikkel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikkel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-04-2009 at 1:07pm
I still can't find out how this private messaging system works, is it not enabled, or am I doing something wrong?

Ultra, could you please drop your mail address to me, using the email system on the forum? (I've enabled it in my settings now) I think that might be the way to go for now...

Br. Mikkel
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrarunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-03-2009 at 7:05pm
Ok, I finally finished. I have three manuals that I can email Luchog, TiqueFan and Mikkel.

I have the 302/351 service/overhaul manual, the parts manual for same, and the Velvet drive manual (models 70c 71c).

If each of you would send me your email addresses, I will send them right out. I will also send them to Keith so he may place them in the reference section for everyone. But I know you guys have been waiting for them so I'll get them right out to you.

Ultra.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrarunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-28-2009 at 12:10am
Hey guys, I've done some more scanning. I'm pretty much snow-bound the next couple of days, so I should have it wrapped up.

thanks,

Ultra
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2009 at 2:04am
Ultrarunner any news on the Commander manuals????
Mikkel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikkel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-09-2008 at 12:15pm
Hi again,

Yes, actually I have several updates on the boat. I have a very good colleague in the US who brought over a good supply of spare parts for me in the beginning of November. I bought a rebuild kit for my Holley, and various bits and pieces for the ignition, including a Prestolite Electronic conversion kit, which have had the best review I can find on the web. I also found a small Danish company, which can supply me with a replacement propeller. I ordered a 4-blade SS propeller 13x13, which will be bored exactly to fit my shaft, and balanced on a shaft so it should be running good - the old propeller was in VERY bad condition. This new propeller has been put on hold for the moment because of below discoveries.

I rebuild the carb a couple of weeks ago and it turned out really good. All the gaskets were very old, and now it should be in good condition once again. When I had finished with the carb I wanted to hear if the rebuild improved on the engine, but then unfortunately I found out that the engine had seized up since I took it out of the water. It was running 8 weeks prior to that, not very good however, but now it's completely stuck :-(( So two weeks ago I pulled it out of the boat - which was a major job all mounts and everything is rusted and seized completely, but I managed to get it out. Now I am tearing the engine apart when I have spare time for the project. There is quite a bit of rust in the cylinders, and I think that one or more pistons are rusted stuck. Otherwise it comes apart pretty good, only a few broken bolts, all of which I managed to get out all together without damaging the threads in the block. I am also getting closer to identifying the engine. The block casting number reads D9AE which makes it a full size 1979 (whatever that means?), and it is a 351. I believe the block is a windsor. One of the heads read 1985 and the other reads 1981. I think it might have been rebuilt before since the parts are different dates?

Anyways, I am fairly optimistic about the whole thing at the moment. The major upside being that the engine was just sitting still while it seized up so no major parts should have been damaged (I hope) and also now I will strip the whole thing down and replace all gaskets, fix the worn hoses and I will build a complete new wiring harness for it. Also I will have the entire engine cleaned piece by piece and finally spray painted or powder coated. I don't think it'll be too expensive, but it is going to require quite a lot of hours of my spare time. Hopefully the engine and aux. systems will be in mint condition come spring time. :-)) Good thing about it is that the engine is very solid, and simple construction, much nicer to work on than my jap motorcycle, since there's lots of room and only relatively few parts.
All in all, once I got past the initial dissapointment, I think it's a super project, which will add greatly to the fun-value of my boat :-))

I am particularily looking forward to seeing a manual which hopefully applies to my engine.

/Mikkel

P.S. any advise on things I have to look out for in the rebuild will be appreciated. One thing I already found was that some of the cooling channels in the block/head were discontinued by the head gasket. Is this because of wrong gasket? or could it be intentional?
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrarunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-09-2008 at 12:45am
Hey guys, so sorry my manual project got pushed to the back burner. I have everything just about copied, and I'll go and get it scanned in the next week or so and get it to Keith so he can post it in the reference section.

Thanks for your patience.

Ultra--
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-08-2008 at 11:41pm
Mikkel, any updates on the boat?

Ultrarunner, any on the manuals?
TiqueFan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TiqueFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-08-2008 at 4:26pm
Ultrarunner, could you also send me the Commander manual and parts information/contact as well?

My 79' Ski Tique needs a new water pump bracket.

Thanks.
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-01-2008 at 1:25pm
You cant go wrong with either a 13x13,12,11,5, but since a prop is at least a U$D350 investment plus shipping, I'd try to get the best one for my application, that's why I suggested getting the boat running well first.
Dont forget to check the alignment of the shaft also.

The Prestolite kit is listed in skidim.com, as for the ballast resistor each kit has it's instructions wich you should follow, installation of EI kits is often discussed on this forums.
Mikkel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikkel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-01-2008 at 8:01am
Originally posted by Luchog Luchog wrote:

Mikkel, yes, I meant to put the engine to a good running condition, electrical and fuel systems first, then you'll be on solid ground about what your engine condition really is. I feel the rpms your doing now are more related to the engine condition than to the propeller.

I have thought about that myself, problem is that I have to use a crane to take the boat in and out of the water, as my trailer (which is homemade by someone) won't go far enough in the water to sail the boat in and out of it. So once the boat is in the water, it will be quite a bother to replace the prop.

How about that Prestolite kit? do you have a number for that. From what I can tell about the E-spark kit it looks like it uses the original cap. I would very much like to eliminate the points, as I could then eliminate the ballast resistor for the coil, but otherwise I have thought about changing the wiring so the resistor is bypassed when the engine is cranking go give better spark for starting.

jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-01-2008 at 2:35am
I must have been mixing up Argentina and Venezuela! Sorry.
Boating season for most people is coming to an end here. So it is funny to hear you say it is just starting there. Upside down from here. But Eddie and I will ski all year. Just add a heater shirt and we'll be good to go.
Better get all that new stuff now before you and Maite get any more serious!
Have fun my friend.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
  Share Topic