Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

ATB (around the boat)

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
steve whitt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve whitt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ATB (around the boat)
    Posted: August-02-2008 at 8:04pm
I own a '96 Ski Nautique, and am a driver for the Carolina Show Ski Team, based on Lake Wylie, SC. This boat is awesome for pulling any act in our shows, including 15 skier pyramids, multi-barefoot lines, etc. I am having issues executing the "boat-o", or ATB, where a slalom skier, or 2, or more, are basically slung around the boat, as the boat makes a radical "s" turn, then continues forward. My 196 Nautique has the standard tow pylon, which adds to the difficulty of the trick, since I must lay over in the observer seat while the ski rope passes overhead. Occassionally, the rope even gets caught on the bow light. I am looking at options to raise the rope at the pylon. Is there a practical, and safe way to attach a taller pylon to the existing one? I do not want to replace the existing pylon, as it is perfect for regular slalom skiing, and most other things we do with the boat. I have considered installing a tower, but that is an expensive thing to do, and I prefer keeping the boat as "original" as possible. The ideal pylon height, for boat-o's is 48". I would appreciate any ideas anybody may have.
Slalom Steve
MartyMabe View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartyMabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2008 at 10:11pm
It's called a FLY-HIGH; goggle it or look at some of the threads on this site.The very cool show ski trick in this thread Ski,Ride and Foot Talk watch that video and look at their set-up.
The Dude View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-03-2008 at 12:47am
Yep. Fly high or skylon is way to go. Check this out: ATB Pyramid

Welcome to our site! We love to have experienced guys like you!
Mullet Free since 93
95 Sport
Watercraftsales View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Watercraftsales Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-03-2008 at 2:38pm
The Fly isn't the way to go, We sell a specific pylon made for ATB's from KW Show ski called the mini hylon. I can't remember but I think its about $125.00 its windshield height with a swivel head. the fly high is too high and you will get too much boat sway, especially if you are running 3-4 or more around the boat. Have pix if you want, its what we use in our ski show, works perfectly don't even have to take the mirror off.

I can send pix of us performing the act, plus of the pylon.

Regards,

Ryan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve whitt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-03-2008 at 3:03pm
Thanks for the ideas. Like the shorter (not Fly Hi)pole length idea best, but want to add it to existing standard pole (maybe bolt on front) so both heights are available. Is this doable? That ATB 2-1 pyramid is crazy! Might just have to add it to our show.
Slalom Steve

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Watercraftsales Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-03-2008 at 3:36pm
The mini hylon just slides over the top, installation and removal in 5 seconds, It doesnt' have any cables to the front since its so short it isn't necessary. It doesn't hold up the show if you are going to use it for only one act. We keep it on the boat for everything but end pyramid. We attached our release to it and then just pop it off for the pyramid. Works very well.

That way you could add a different pylon for more height, its very difficult to get a pylon that raises and lowers and can keep the cables to the front tight with the short amount of time you have in between show acts.

Anyway I can send pix if you want.

Ryan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve whitt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-03-2008 at 4:02pm
Thanks, Ryan. That sounds perfect. Send me some pics, please.
Slalom Steve
tullfooter View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tullfooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-04-2008 at 11:00am
Ryan
Are you with the Grand City Skiers? We skied against them this past weekend in Warsaw, IN. We skied well but didn't score well, 5th out of 6 teams.
We did make the pyramid ATB in the competition for the first time. It's sort of funny that our little team did a trick that nobody has seen before.
Steve
The FlyHigh is not a good idea for ATB because of the side pull the trick puts on the pole. The extension from KW sounds like the ticket. I saw Carl, from KW, ski on two Frisbee's at the tournament. He is an interesting dude.
Steve
Play hard, life's not a trial run.
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-04-2008 at 12:01pm
I'm surprised Ryan didn't mention the factory CC extended pylon.

This one just ended on eBay for $92. There were a few guys on PN wanting to trade their tall pylons for the standard one.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Watercraftsales Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-04-2008 at 12:57pm
Sorry about not getting photos, not until tuesday when I am back at club, hectic last night, but I don't recommend the cc extended pylon because: 1. they don't make it anymore, I have two or 3 left in stock and I save those for people who really want them, secondly its more difficult to put a regular fly high on, so basically the kw, is just more versatile, because you still have the regular pylon when you need it and slides on so quickly. The cc pylon is nice, but once its in, you don't have the flexability. The CC pylon will work just as well though, basically same height as the Kw...

We ski up in 3 lakes wi, Just had our 50th reunion and skied wi state for the second time this season.. Aqua Devils

Will have the pics later this week, sorry.
Ryan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve whitt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2008 at 12:16am
Hey, Ryan. Been away from the site for a while, but wanted to ask you, regarding the CC extended pylon: How much does one of these cost, and how much trouble is it to install? And, I currently have a single trick release attached to the top of my factory pylon, but would prefer going to a double release on an extension, except not at the top like the standard pylon requires. Is there a larger release available (from you, or elsewhere) that would attach lower on the pylon? thanks
Slalom Steve
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic