NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Lake Shelbyville 08’

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234 7>
Author
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-06-2008 at 3:15pm
Sounds good Alan.

Let me comment on tying up your boat at Eagle Creek. Firstly, it's several miles away even via water from the campground. The docks are pretty far away from the hotel and are probably 100 feet below the actual level of the parking lot- the lake is somewhat canyon-like at the resort. The docking facilities are top notch, and amazing. However, I could never leave my boat there since it is completely out of sight. When we were there in 2004 there was an incident of vandalism where some teens got a hold of some beer and took a golf cart on an incredible run of vandalism. They ran over a bunch of lights and landscaping and whatnot, and destroyed the cart. They didn't touch the boats but the cart went down probably 100 feet of stairs all the way down to the dock! Bottom line is, I don't have a warm fuzzy feeling about my boat being at those docks overnight and again, it's miles away from Wolf Creek campground.

So, we paid for a slip the whole time but never used it. We just trailered over to Wolf Creek to hang out with everyone else. This worked fine and was not that inconvenient. This is probably what I'll do if Beth and Madison join me in the fall. If they don't, I'll camp.

Eagle Creek has some major issues with cleanliness, service, and maintenance in my opinion. It's like some spooky, weird has-been resort somewhat like The Shining. You sit down at the bar, and the arms of the chair are actually stained brown with dirt. The carpet in the hallways is stained and nasty in spots. The rooms are marginally clean compared to a standard hotel, IMO. You sit down at breakfast for the buffet, and the table has only been wiped around the salt/pepper shakers and condiments leaving egg bits and crumbs behind. It's like the whole place has just been neglected.

The place also seems to attract some pretty obnoxious and inconsiderate guests. From the vandals the first time to obnoxious weddings and receptions, drunk fishermen in fishing tourneys there, etc. The room next to us last time had a huge party complete with a guitar player/singer going ALL NIGHT. I went over there and yelled at them several times personally (ask Ken Spurling if I know how to yell at somebody), and called management and nothing was done. We got no sleep that night.

The first time I stayed there, I said I'd never stay there again. The second time I stayed there, I said the same thing. However, I think Lake Shelbyville is so neat and fun that I'll probably stay there again if I have to. It's an awesome lake and that campground is an awesome place to hang out.
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

Mojo View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-06-2008 at 3:28pm
Alan,

Seeing as there would be no way we'll camp other than if some company would roll a trailer in there (maybe an option), a hotel is a must. If you can take a few minutes to really survey this issue while down there, I'd appreciate it..

I've heard a lot of good things about lake Shelbyville itself, more so than Decatur.. I'll look forward to your report on Clinton..

Have a great time !!!

Moj'
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had:96' SNOB
had:76' Nautique
had 77 Tique

RainDog View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RainDog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-06-2008 at 4:03pm
What is the name of the campground where people stayed in the past?
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-06-2008 at 5:02pm
Wolf Creek, at Shelby. Great campground. Nice ramp, too.
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI

81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-06-2008 at 5:31pm
Originally posted by RainDog RainDog wrote:

What is the name of the campground where people stayed in the past?

Wolf Creek.

edit, got beat to the draw on that one.

RainDog View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RainDog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-06-2008 at 5:50pm
Moj' -
Here is an idea I'm looking into for Shelbyville. 16 miles to the east is a RV/Camper rental place.

Happy Trails RV

If I can arrange my schedule (I currently have a conflict on Sunday to sort out) I'll rent a pop-up camper and use it at the campground.

We don't necessarily need a hotel, I just don't want to be soggy if it rains.

Who knows, they might even deliver and pick up.
Mojo View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-06-2008 at 6:13pm
Steve-o,
Good find.. Yes they will deliver, set up, clean and dump the crapper for $100-125 bucks.. Min 2 night rental.. I was looking at a 26 foot self contained unit, with the above mentioned fees and it puts the price @ $175/night. It's a little bit pricey, but it would be fun if we were all together in one area. They don't really want to travel to Clinton, but they make regular stops at Shelbyville... I don't know what the lodge cost, but it sounds like Joel has had hi fill of the place.

Thanks for the reference. It's a viable option for us..

Moj'
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had:96' SNOB
had:76' Nautique
had 77 Tique

M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-06-2008 at 7:54pm
Great idea on renting an RV. Love that. I'm totally up for that idea.
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI

tullfooter View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tullfooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-06-2008 at 8:10pm
I might be in with that scenerio.
But I'd have to have one like Cousin Eddie's.."That there's an RV!"
Steve
Play hard, life's not a trial run.
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-06-2008 at 8:22pm
Mojo, steve, Joel..

Check out this website a give them a call, ask for Matt or his Mom. From talking to him they have 2 cabins, a 24x26 and a 20x20 that appear to be available our weekend. They are 1/8 mile off the lake but are associated with the Findlay Marina so they could hook you up with dockage for the weekend. They are about 4 mile drive by car to Wolf Creek campground and between Eagle Creek and the Campground by water.    Rates are $85/ night for the small one and $125 for the large one.

Sounds like Shelby may work out better for you guys so thats ok with me. I did some calling for camper rentals to Clinton and this guy with the cabins will run some up there for you for a charge. Think it's worth a call and check it out.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-06-2008 at 9:01pm
Here's a map of Lake Shelby with the cabin rentals, Eagle Creek and Wolf Creek State Park circled.
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-07-2008 at 1:18am
Bad news gang.

Can't make it the 6th. It's the same weekend my neighbor has his big music festival/hootenanny in his back yard, and I'm performing a set there. I can't believe I didn't see this conflict earlier but it's just not going to work out. If these are the concrete dates, I'm out. Have fun...
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-07-2008 at 10:40am
Well Joel is the reason we started going to Shelbyille a few years ago and I hate for him to miss this again so an option would be to move the weekend out 2 weeks and go to warmer water in Clinton. Joel, you sure you can't get your manager to get you out of the gig?

Just an idea, let me have the weekend to see if Clinton is workable and then we'll have to make some decsions on date and location monday so folks can get the time off.
RainDog View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RainDog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-07-2008 at 11:23am
The change in date would make things a lot easier for me as well. My company has a family outing to the Brewers game on Sunday.
scottb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scottb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-07-2008 at 4:33pm
This sounds like a cool trip, but we probably can't make it this year. I will be in Shelbyville for Labor Day weekend though. We are staying at WhiteTail Crossings. Never been there, but some friends of mine were there about a couple months ago and recommended it. I think it's relatively close Eagle Creek. We used to go to Shelbyville every Memorial Day until the kids arrived. We camped at Whitley Creek.

Never been to Clinton, but warm water sounds good. I would be interested to hear more about what you find.
67nautique312 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67nautique312 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2008 at 11:06am
Raindog,

You bringing the 62?
1963 Classic (handed down to my daughter)
67 Riviera
68 barracuda
1971 Ski Nautique Promo
86 Silver Nautique
1995 Ski Nautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2008 at 12:24pm
Well Gang, Thanks to the Weitekamps we had one of the best weekends of the summer "SO FAR".

Clinton Lake is the balls. It has everything that we've enjoyed at Shelbyville, nice campground with very new and clean shower facilities, the boat ramp is a little friendlier, there is a little restaurant a few hundred feet from the ramp with good tie up. The restaurant will still be open through september and will be convenient for a quick bite. $5 rib eye sandwich that was overhanging my plate! Fuel on the lake if needed. We struggled a little bit with wind in the afternoon but the shape of the lake let's you move around and we found decent water middle of the day, with the lower traffic after labor day this place will be ideal.

Other bonuses are it is atleast one hour shorter driving distance than Shelby for the northerners and unlike Shelby it is all highway except the last 10 miles. The are 2 motels off the exit, a Budget Motel and a Days Inn which is fairly new Rates at the Days Inn are $63.99 ,2 beds 4 people per night and do accept pets. The other place is cheaper but it's a dive, I think it's one of those rent by the hour places so maybe Quinner could make it down. Both of these motels are right off the highway and a 10 miles drive to the campground. Days Inn # is 309-928-9434, the Budget Motel # is 309-928-2157. There is a large filling station right next door and that would be your best stop before getting to the lake whether your staying at the Motels or not.

Here's the best part about this place, Todd has always told me how warm the water is but can you say "Hot Tub". The water temp at the outlet side of the lake is almost body temp. It is unreal and if we push the weekend back to Sept 19-21 to accomodate the few that can't make it earlier this will make a hugh difference as to whether we enjoy the weekend or not. We could end up with a 60 degree overcast day and we'll still be warmer in the water without wetsuits than on the boat. This could really make or break the trip especially for the kids.

If there are some who still want to investigate renting a camper you could talk to the guy at Buoys by the lake from my post a few days ago. He said they would drop some campers there for a delivery fee. I content that this may be more work for you than it's worth though because you still have to outfit it. I'd stay at the days Inn and pack a cooler full of food, there will be plenty of camp fires to cook on and the CCfan hospitality will take over and you'll be fine.

We also meet a couple in another Bounder this weekend, the only group of people in the world that compare to CC people are Bounder people. Bounder owners have their own little sub culture and we meet some interesting people. Anyway, Bounder Jim, his wife and their 3 foot Iguana camp there just about every weekend, we exchanged info and he said to let him know when we're coming down and he'll grab all the camping sites we need. There are a few groups of sites with trail access to lake where we can tie the boats up during the day if needed. The plan is he'll get in early friday am and hold the best sites available for us.

So, we have 2 things to determine, Shelby or Clinton and weekend of 5-6 or 19-21.

I vote Clinton weekend of 19-21, that later week may clear up some schedule issues Raindog and M3Fan had. Possibly Scottb can join us now.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2008 at 12:41pm
One more comment,

Todd, the warmer side of the lake is closed down October 10 so we'll be able to ski right near the outlet where we we're saturday am.
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2008 at 12:55pm
Alan, hopefully the large sandwich was not a result of the effects of the lakewater. Seriously though, Todd and Renee seem to be pretty healthy so the cooling system in the plant must be working correctly- no heavy water mixing in the heat exchangers.

Sounds like a ton of fun. I vote for clinton and the later weekend. How close is the Days Inn?
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI

weitekampt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote weitekampt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2008 at 1:21pm
Knowing it closes that late makes me feel much better. Even if there are people skiing there, we can still drop anchor and enjoy the "hot tub" and man that is nice when we are just soakin' in the water. Feels good on the sore muscles too.

I am all for the later weekend. Want to make sure that everyone can make it who wants to come.

Joel, don't speake too fast, we don't have kids yet. Heck, they may come out with 3 eyes! Its a big joke, but the water is great.

Alan gave great details. The days inn is about 12 miles from the ramp. There is a closer ramp for the people staying in Farmer City at the days inn. It will save you about 5 miles from where the campers will be. It is a super ramp. Actually, there are 2 ramps closer, but one has a 1 mile idle zone. NO FUN!
1993 SkiNautique ProTec
2009 Boatmate trailer.
1240 hours on meter.
1993 Ski Nautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2008 at 1:30pm
Originally posted by M3Fan M3Fan wrote:

Alan, hopefully the large sandwich was not a result of the effects of the lakewater. Seriously though, Todd and Renee seem to be pretty healthy so the cooling system in the plant must be working correctly- no heavy water mixing in the heat exchangers.

Sounds like a ton of fun. I vote for clinton and the later weekend. How close is the Days Inn?

Days Inn is about 10-11 miles from the campground. Exit 159 off of 74 east to rt 54. It's right at the interchange then a straight shot to the lake. You will not believe how much easier it is to find this place especially in the dark for those coming in late friday night. I can post detailed directions later if this is where we end up.

I did notice that most of the locals were a bit peculiar sporting a protruding belly, long grey beards, pony tails and a fishing rod growing out of one hand. Possibly the effects of heavy water but more likely the result of a good life in the country. Hopefully the later.
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2008 at 1:42pm
Does anyone have any prop recommendations for heavy water? Heck, we might all come out of this with super-powered boats. I can picture us all glowing in the dark while barefooting at 60 MPH.

Seriously, I'm getting excited about this! Sounds great.
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI

Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2008 at 12:38am
Later would be better for us too.
stang72 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stang72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2008 at 12:45am
Checking in from Minn!All is fantastic here.

Sounds like later will make it better for a few...good with me as I would hate to see anyone miss out.

Location...does not matter to me...if Clinton works best..great.

Alan...of course you had a great time with a Todd and Rene...two of the nicest people on the planet!

see everyone soon!
stang

Face plants are not that funny when it's you face!

The Super Air

RainDog View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RainDog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2008 at 2:11am
Naughty Paul - Hells yeah I'm brining the 62! It ain't no trailer queen (cough, ahem). Besides, she's the only girl on my dance card.

You gonna make it? If so, I might have to leave the wife at home. Moj' too. Hard to lock a tent.

I vote for Clinton (I feel a little dirty after I typed that...) on the 19th-21st. Short of breaking the boat, we'd be a lock. The 12th - 14th is out for us for sure.

Thanks for all the field scouting guys. This sounds like a great cap to the summer.
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2008 at 3:41am
Sounds so fun I am almost sad that I used up the travel budget already. Would be so cool to see some of you guys again.

No wonder you are a success at business Alan..nice job getting all the info.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
stang72 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stang72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2008 at 3:51am
John...perhaps You and Patti will surprize us

Alan...yes , thats why he is the "Magicman".
stang

Face plants are not that funny when it's you face!

The Super Air

bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2008 at 4:31am
How is the new boat treating you Gary?

BKH
Livin' the Dream

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2008 at 1:00pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

Later would be better for us too.

and maybe the honeymooners could make it down too?

So are we all set then for Clinton weekend of 9/19-21? I think Dave's still on the road so we may have to wait a few more days but the Days Inn said they will fill up quick from some construction workers in the area during sept.

We better pull the trigger on this thing so everyone can make their plans!! Are we good to go? Last chance to speak up.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2008 at 1:08pm
And maybe Johnny will have his boat dialed in by then too.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234 7>
  Share Topic