NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Lake Shelbyville 08’

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 7>
Author
Mojo View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lake Shelbyville 08’
    Posted: July-25-2008 at 2:30pm
I believe this would also be the third year that a few members get together down in central Illinois at Lake Shelbyville, post Labor Day.

I have always missed this weekend, but don't want to again. Do we know the dates for the gathering? Is it Sept 6th-7th?

Also, can you refresh my memory on hotels? I believe Joel told me once about a so-so lodge on the lake... (Carrie won't do the camping thing)...

OK, fill me in, so I can plan..

Thanks
Moj'
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had:96' SNOB
had:76' Nautique
had 77 Tique

quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2008 at 2:47pm
Mojo,

Talk to Gary about this, at GL he and Lisa were talking about possibly moving the venue to their ski lake, Lake Decatur IIRC.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2008 at 2:48pm
I want to see Moj go over the jump.
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2008 at 2:51pm
The resort there is the Eagle Creek resort. Eagle Creek. It's right on the water and you can get boat slips but in general I hate this place. They have probably not done a single upgrade to this place since it opened (I'm guessing ~20 years ago). I don't know of any other hotels on the water.

I'm definitely in for this trip. Missed it last year and regretted it. It's a great time with lots of skiing.
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2008 at 4:13pm
Date is probably going to have to be Sept 5-7 as the next weekend is the Northeast Reunion and will interfere with some plans, after that we chance cold weather again. I'll email Gary this weekend and see if there is a chance it will be moved to his site in Decatur, we've been there once and it would certainly work out great for us. Slalom course and jump would be awesome plus docks, picnic tables and a lunch restaurant on the water is a big plus. Camping is a little primative but we'd open the Bounder up as home base for showers and creature comforts.

Either location, we should set a date soon.
Mojo View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2008 at 4:31pm
I'm up for either place. Doesn't matter to me.. Let's get something firmed up so I can lock in the time. The 5-7th works out great for us..

Jumps, for sure... Wait, I fell off the bar stool at the Goose, I think I'm done with jumps hahaha..

Moj'
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had 77 Tique

Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2008 at 4:52pm
Decatur would be awesome. I believe Shelbyville is south of everybody, and actually further than GL!
stang72 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stang72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2008 at 3:37am
Sorry...I just now got back from an out of town trip....I will get together with Brian and Deb(tomorrow) and see about things so we know what all the options will be.

I will check back in tomorrow with more info.
If our members have no objections...Lake Decatur would be much closer for all and the club facility makes everything soooo easy!
stang

Face plants are not that funny when it's you face!

The Super Air

stang72 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stang72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2008 at 1:09pm
Here is a little more info....if our members are are ok with hosting guests,we are about an hr closer for everyone.
Hotels and restaurants are 10-15 min away,club has a ramp,boats can stay in the water or on the trailer at the club...and all that Alan mentioned.
No one has put the course in this year though??? However...if Joel wants to drop his in , it can stay in for the weekend.
I don't know much about camping at the club...I believe that tent camping is allow for a small fee.
Alan...not sure if any spots are open for the Bounder...we can check today.We have added several new members this year.Of course we would host you and anyone else at our home(like we Rob and Dena did). I think Deb and Brian mentioned doing the same.

More to come tonght!

stang

The Super Air

PLBC View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PLBC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2008 at 2:16pm
fawk, 5-7th? We won't be able to make it, I'll try to grab a pull in Punta Cana. Maybe next year.

kurt
stang72 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stang72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2008 at 1:19am
Update....we are in the process of gaining approaval from our board.

So far...everyone I have talked with is fine with it.

Post more when I have it.

stang

The Super Air

Mojo View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2008 at 11:39am
Originally posted by stang72 stang72 wrote:

Update....we are in the process of gaining approaval from our board.

So far...everyone I have talked with is fine with it.

Post more when I have it.

Gary,
Are we still talking the weekend of the 5-7 of Sept?? It's the only weekend I can get down there..
Moj'
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had 77 Tique

stang72 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stang72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2008 at 3:25am
As far as I know...that weekend is the one.
Sorry to lose Kurt though.

For the others...Are we rollin for that date???
stang

The Super Air

stang72 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stang72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2008 at 3:37am
Forgot to mention...talked with Brian last night....we will get some calls out this week and work on getting things approved...looking good at this point. I would guess we should know something in a few days or so.

Also...Brian and I live nearly next door...we can both host anyone who wants to stay....would have to do the fire pit and cook out thing too!

Alan...all spots are taken for campers...If you want to bring the bounder...plenty of room in the drive...or leave it behind...you know where your room is right?

So who is comming???

More to come soon.
stang

The Super Air

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2008 at 9:37am
OK, Sept 5-7 looks like a go. Bummer on the motorhome, we'll have to see how many people are coming and go from there on where everyone will put up for the night. I think I still own a tent!!!
Mojo View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2008 at 11:38am
Me, Carrie and the kids are in..

Let me know what hotels are close..
Gary, is it possible to leave the boat in either your or Brian's drive?

Moj'
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had 77 Tique

Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2008 at 12:31pm
Carolyn and I should be a go.
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2008 at 2:52pm
We should be a go. Definitely interested in any hotel accommodations in the area.
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

Johnny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2008 at 3:17pm
I should be in for this one. I'd love to embarass myself on that jump too. And who knows...maybe you guys will finally get to see the BFN, picking it up today...Keep your fingers crossed.
RainDog View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RainDog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2008 at 4:53pm
Hey, we'd like to come down as well, if Loren will put up with the twins bugging him all the time. I would be looking for a hotel though. Let us know what is available.
Mojo View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2008 at 5:05pm
Originally posted by RainDog RainDog wrote:

Hey, we'd like to come down as well, if Loren will put up with the twins bugging him all the time. I would be looking for a hotel though. Let us know what is available.

Steve, excellent idea !! Our girls are going to want to all wake board "from the "pro" Loren's new boat".. Way cool..... LMAO...

Moj'
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had 77 Tique

stang72 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stang72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2008 at 12:53am
Provided we have two options(lake wise)...I am guessing we will.

Which site does everyone prefer? I an good either way.

Considerations are:

Shelbyville is a bigger lake, better for cruising and swimming, natual wilderness surrounds it, cleaner water(very nice quality) and offers camping.Very pretty lake. Hotel on the lake...Joel can comment.

Lake Decatur...lake is in the city. Facility makes it easy to be on the water and keep food and bev at the shore...docks...ramp...pavilion etc.Very easy to launch and ski. 15 min for my house and Brians...we can host guests. Hotels 10 min away from club(mt Zion).45 min closer to Chicago.

Both lakes are gererally calm and traffic will be low on either.

Fun will be had either way!

I am heading out tomorrow for Minn...back in two weeks. I do have internet there.

stang

The Super Air

stang72 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stang72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2008 at 12:55am
Forgot to include...Lake Decatur...camping is not much for tents and no spaces for campers...Shelbyville would be better if camping is important.
stang

The Super Air

weitekampt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote weitekampt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-03-2008 at 2:59am
I talked to Gary today while he was driving to Minnesota. Thought I should chime in on a few things.

At GL, I was talking to Alan and Gary about a few things. I have thrown out the option for Clinton Lake the last 2 years. It is closer yet for you northern travelers. I think the biggest advantage that this lake has is the fact it is a power plant lake. Beings that we are going early in September won't make it so important, but if it is a bit cold, the water is always warm. Plus, the lake is a bit narrower and you can ALWAYS find great water no matter which way the wind is blowing from. Alan wasn't aware of this, but there is a great campground there too. There is a little restaurant on the lake so people can eat all the time. Those are the pros of that lake. The cons would be the hotels. The would be about a 20 minute drive from the lake. You would have to drive to Clinton, IL to get a room. I'll tell you right now that the hotels in Clinton will be comperable to those at Shelbyville. I have stayed at Eagle Creek for business functions and it is strictly a hotel. It isn't the Hilton or anything, but it isn't a Motel 6 either. I'd stay there if I needed a bed. They have a good bar and a restaurant, so there are decent things about Eagle Creek. I have no idea of what hotels are in Mt. Zion, but looks like we need to get some info from Brian and Deb or Gary and Lisa. It is a real bummer that there is poor camping at Decatur. It will effect us because we will drive down for the day and toodle home that evening. We are about an hour away.

I can't ask for plans to change because it sounds like there are more hotel people than campers which is cool. I just wanted to throw out the 3rd option of Clinton Lake. I personally think it is a great lake that is clean and has food on the water along with super skiing. It is just something to think about.

We'll be there no matter what, but I guess I'd be more inclined to go to Clinton or Shelbyville due to better quality skiing and the ablilty to camp.

Again, just throwing out the option.
1993 SkiNautique ProTec
2009 Boatmate trailer.
1240 hours on meter.
1993 Ski Nautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-03-2008 at 6:42pm
Here's my take on it gang and please understand that we'll be there no matter where it ends but the past couple of years have been such a huge success in part due to the camping after a day on the water. I'd hate to have to see everyone check out at dusk when the fun is really just starting. We've always had fun reviewing all the video and photos on a tv by the motorhome and sharing some cold ones and food by the fire. For those staying in hotels our Bounder will be available for you to use as you need. All you need to do is bring food, there are enough camp chefs around to grill it up for you.

I'm all ears to hear what everyone thinks of Clinton. Todd has assured us of a great campground which I think is important. Hotels are not far away and if you're not camping you'll have to pack up no matter what lake we go to.

I think Lake Decatur would be a blast and like Johhny I'd be good for a few laughs off the jump. It is a really nice ski site, but if we all have to pack up at the end of the day it just takes something away from the weekend. It's hugh of Gary and Brian's families to open up their homes but I still vote for a lake with campsites.
Mojo View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-04-2008 at 12:41pm
Alan,
How far is it by water from the camp ground where you guys have stayed to the Resort on Shelbyville? Are ther piers at the campground to tie off the boats for awhile??

Does anyone knoe of a place that would bring in camping trailers, like Reed found in WI?

While I think Todd's suggestion for warm water is great (because my daughters always freezing), I think we should stick to having a central camping party area like in Shelbyville. Being 45 min farther is not a make or break for us..

Eagle creek has slips available for nightly mooring as well, so no problem if you don't want to pull the boat..

My vote is Shelbyville..

Moj'
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had 77 Tique

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-04-2008 at 1:12pm
Originally posted by Mojo Mojo wrote:

Alan,
How far is it by water from the camp ground where you guys have stayed to the Resort on Shelbyville? Are ther piers at the campground to tie off the boats for awhile??

Does anyone knoe of a place that would bring in camping trailers, like Reed found in WI?

While I think Todd's suggestion for warm water is great (because my daughters always freezing), I think we should stick to having a central camping party area like in Shelbyville. Being 45 min farther is not a make or break for us..

Eagle creek has slips available for nightly mooring as well, so no problem if you don't want to pull the boat..

My vote is Shelbyville..

Moj'

Dave, Eagle Creek is only a few miles from the campground by water but tying up at the state park and walking to the campground is probably not going to work(tie up is not great and the campground is pretty far from the launch.) Joel just drove over to the campground from Eagle when he stayed there 2 years ago.

We'll have to wait and hear from Todd because he did say there was ample camping at Clinton and hotels nearby so that is still in the running. Todd, Dana and I are thinking we'll have an open weekend before labor day and thought we'd check out the camping at Clinton if we could hook up with you and Rene for some skiing. Give me a call if you're interested 630-209-3619

Sorry gang but I really thought Lake Decatuer would be a better site but without the camping we're taking something away from the weekend and I don't think that's the way to go.
Mojo View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-04-2008 at 1:16pm
OK Magic, I see...
So everyone pulled the boats each day then.. OK, well if thats the deal really anywhere, it doesn't matter where we go..

Moj'
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had 77 Tique

weitekampt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote weitekampt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-05-2008 at 1:41am
OK, sounds like I should shed a little more light on the subject. It was late when I read the post.

The reason I put in a vote for Clinton was simply due to better skiing. I guess you can call Clinton my home lake so I am familiar with it. Shelbyville is a good lake, but it is really wide and sometimes hard to find good water. If you were to do a google map search and look at the lake, it is a giant horseshoe. There are shorelines to protect you whatever way the wind is blowing. It is tough to do that at Shelbyville because it is really big. I know there are a lot of barefooters who come along with slalom skiers so I am looking for quality water for everyones interests. Also, there is boondocks the restaurant. This is a far cry from a nice restaurant, but the food is awesome. You also have food at the Marina along with gas if people need it.

Now for the campground. It is not as far of a drive to the water from the campground compared to Shelbyville. Lets be honest here, we are talking 1/2 mile or so. No big deal. The campground is nice and the bathroom/shower facilities are good too. Renee and I always commented on that when we camped there. Now it has been 2 years since we have camped there, but we drive through it all the time. To be honest, I still like the campground at shelbyville because of the huge trees and super protection, but for practical purposes like a solid ski weekend, I'd have no problems whatsoever at Clinton. Heck, Renee and I camp there in the fall just for fun. It is a clean and well maintained campground and is a 2 minute drive from the ramp. You have to pull your boats each night. No overnight mooring.

I absolutely understand everyones concerns with lodging and such. No matter what, we will be there! I still think that Shelbyville is a great locaton for both campers and people who request a roof (with the weather the last two years....I should probably do the hotel). I agree with Joel that they haven't done a lot of updates in the last few years, but it is a place to rest your head and take a nice shower. Again, there is a restaurant and a nice bar in the resort that some people may like. Plus a place to tie your boat up overnight.

I think that Decatur would be a great time and I would like to make a day trip out of it, but having the ability to throw up a tent and sleep for free is kinda nice too.

Again, this is just more information about a possible 3rd location. You can throw it out the window and I am absolutely fine with it. If we opt not to do Clinton, my vote will probably be Shelbyville. I agree with Alan that it is fun to hang out around the bounder and sip brew and watch video. We have a great group of people and the visiting is awesome.

I think that the best thing to do for people who are intersted in coming is to look at lodging online. IF you were to do Clinton, you would have Champaign and the town of Clinton as lodging options. Actually, I forgot about the Super 8 in Farmer City. That is about 10 miles from the campground. I have never stayed there, but it is a Super 8. They did some remodeling there 2 years ago I think, but it ain't no Hilton. If people were to choose Shelbyville, the closest town with a hotel would be Sullivan, IL....I think. Still a 15 minute drive unless you stayed at the resort. If you were to do Decatur, we have to wait on Gary to give us that info.

Just filling everyone in on some more details.
1993 SkiNautique ProTec
2009 Boatmate trailer.
1240 hours on meter.
1993 Ski Nautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-06-2008 at 2:28pm
Gang, We're going to head down to Clinton this weekend and camp/ski with the Weitekampts, we'll give a report back early next week and then we'll have to take a vote. If we get a chance we'll also get area hotel info, prices, distance from the lake, etc.

Nothing better than stocking up the Bounder and heading off to a new destination, I LOVE Roadtrips!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 7>
  Share Topic