NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Transmission removal questions

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
88skisupreme View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 88skisupreme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Transmission removal questions
    Posted: June-16-2008 at 5:20pm
Don't know much about transmissions but I know mine has problems. Forward gear is nearly gone.

I'm gonna see if I can get it off, just wanted to get a quick run down on what is needed. I have gathered from reading previous posts that I'll need a bottle jack, anything else? I've got a hand pump to drain the fluid, and I think I have all the tools to get the bolts off.

I know these suckers are heavy. I've done some engine work but just a little intimidated by the tranny. Thanks in advance for the help.
rholmes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rholmes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2008 at 5:45pm
Well, I can tell you that it is not as hard to disassemble as it seems, like you said, just seems intimidating (at least, removing it). Couple bottle jacks is right, I got mine from Harbor Freight, but autozone carries them too (like $9). Do yourself a favor and just take pictures first. It helps to have a visual to reference when putting back together. You might have some problems with the coupler coming apart. Undo the four bolts and try to get a scraper in between them. IF that doesn't work, get a piece of wood, like a 6inch or foot long piece of 2x4, and place it on the couplinh and hammer the wood with a mallet or hammer. If that doesn't work, you might need a wooden wedge like you use to stop a door. It is fairly straight forward, unbolt the tranny from bellhousing and pull back. As far as tranny disassembly, That probably needs to be left up to the experts (i.e. Eric or those who have done it) or you'll need a good manual.
gigem75 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gigem75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2008 at 6:06pm
having access to an overhead hoist, be it in a shop or under a shadetree with a come along also helps.
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2008 at 6:49pm
oh come on girls, I'll send my office girl over to give you a hand lol, the trans is 98lbs. and usually having 2 sets of hands helps, a strap around the mounts helps tremendously...remeber to change the damper also
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2008 at 10:25pm
Eric, Sounds like Rob and Michael need one of these. It's rated at 100 ton. I'd think it would work!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 88skisupreme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2008 at 12:32am
Thanks guys, I'll get stated on it as soon as the office girls get here.

Autozone only had one jack $10, they should have more in stock tommorow, so already there's an extra trip I have to make.
behindpropeller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2008 at 1:32am
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

oh come on girls, I'll send my office girl over to give you a hand lol, the trans is 98lbs. and usually having 2 sets of hands helps, a strap around the mounts helps tremendously...remeber to change the damper also

I'm going to fax this thread to her tommorow

rholmes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rholmes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2008 at 3:08am
I didn't mean removing the tranny needed to be left to the experts! You guys are tough!

I meant taking the tranny apart, gutting it and rebuilding it was probably better left to experts. I got mine out on my own, well, maybe one blood blister from the coupler pinching my finger agains the side grab rail. True, when it first came off I almost dropped it through the hull, but my feet saved the day!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2008 at 10:37am
number 13?
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2008 at 11:17am
Originally posted by 88skisupreme 88skisupreme wrote:

Thanks guys, I'll get stated on it as soon as the office girls get here.

Autozone only had one jack $10, they should have more in stock tommorow, so already there's an extra trip I have to make.

You only need one jack. I've done it twice and used a jack on one side and a shimmed 4x4 on the other. The front mounts are bearing almost all the weight of the engine- you're just keeping it from tipping with the jack. Don't apply much, if any pressure with the jack- if done correctly it should all go back together in perfect or near perfect alignment.
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2008 at 11:44am
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

number 13?

You're bad!   LOL
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 88skisupreme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2008 at 11:49am
Originally posted by M3Fan M3Fan wrote:

You only need one jack. I've done it twice and used a jack on one side and a shimmed 4x4 on the other. The front mounts are bearing almost all the weight of the engine- you're just keeping it from tipping with the jack. Don't apply much, if any pressure with the jack- if done correctly it should all go back together in perfect or near perfect alignment.

Cool, I was planning on using some wood under the tranny too, might be better than dropping it on my foot. So the tranny comes off and the damper plate is still attached to the engine?
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2008 at 12:34pm
The tranny bolts up to the bell housing and is only connected to the damper plate via a splined shaft- It will slide right out once the bolts to the bell housing are taken out. The damper plate is bolted to the flywheel on the engine. The bell housing must be removed (after the trans is off) to get the damper plate off the flywheel.
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

gigem75 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gigem75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-18-2008 at 3:26pm
has anyone mentioned loosening the front motor mount trunion pins so the motor will rotate on than and not try and pull the front motor mounts out of the stringers?
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-18-2008 at 4:01pm
88Ski - I used the scissors jack from my Honda minivan to support the engine during trans removal& it worked great. FYI
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-18-2008 at 5:38pm
don't understand why your not pulling the bellhousing with the tranny seems like extra work to me.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 88skisupreme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2008 at 11:49am
I've got everything disconnected, except the tranny itself, should I raise the engine/tranny with the jack before removing the tranny or is the jack just there to support the engine?
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2008 at 11:58am
88, Loosen the front mounts so they will twist and kick the aft end of the engine up with the jacks. It will provide more clearance to get the trans out.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
gigem75 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gigem75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2008 at 12:55pm
I lifted the engine/trans measured the distance and cut a 4x4 to lenght rather than buy bottle jacks. fit nicely under the manifold. Subtract 1 3/4 inch from the meausrement and put a 2x4 about a foot long under the 4x4 to distribute the load. I'ts a heck of a lot eaiser to pull the bellhousing off with the trans. the studs (that's me:) just kidding, are so long you have to pull the trans pretty far back to clear the studs. You only have to come back a couple of inches if you pull the bellhousing/trans as a unit.

As you lift the rear of the engine pb blast the exhaust hoses and pry them off as you raise the rear of the motor. It is a heck of a lot eaiser to get the hoses off that way without tearing them up. Also as you reinstall put them in postion to mate to the exhaust maifold and they will be eaiser to put back on as well.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 88skisupreme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2008 at 5:02pm
Will do, I forgot how much fun those exhaust hoses can be
graybee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote graybee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2008 at 2:57pm
I did mine last year, to replace the flywheel. All the tips on this site are everything need. Yes - take lots of pictures. Of course, I forgot one thing - to disconnect the exahust hoses from the manifolds (see gigem75's suggestions for removal). Ended up cracking one of the silencers, had to replace. Good luck.
1979 Southwind 18 PCM351
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 88skisupreme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2008 at 3:19pm
Got it out, thanks for all the tips.

Now what, should I try a local transmission shop or just ship it to Fantastic Finish? Are they that much differnt from what a tramsmission shop deals with on a daily basis?
gigem75 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gigem75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2008 at 6:12pm
I just fininshed doing mine myself, Eric helped me out quite a bit as did others on this site. Is it a borg warner velvet drive?
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 88skisupreme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2008 at 6:58pm
Yup, 1:1, its a rebuilt one from Fantastic Finish, unfortunatley it was run with some water in it a year ago. I did a few fluid changes and it worked for a while but the slipping came back, the fluid smells burnt.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2008 at 10:30am
not to advertise, but im on my 12th for the year that went to the local trans shop, the home garage or the marina
the 12th means they were rebuilt 2 weeks earlier and installed and didnt work
and usually the second time around there is more$$$$ damage
Randy_in_Ohio View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2008 at 2:53am
Save yourself the headaches and send it to Eric. He has done hundreds of these, and this would be your first wack at it. I usually don't get things perfect the first time with this type of work. IMO, some things are better left to professionals.
I know if I ever have trouble with mine I will take it to Eric.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic