Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Battery draining

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
tyler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tyler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Battery draining
    Posted: June-03-2008 at 12:47am
Looking for alittle help: The Battery on my 1980 nautique continues to go flat after the boat has been sitting for a few days, between use. The battery is in new condition marine starting type. I have checked all the abvious, ie: blower left on, nav lights, bilge, stereo, exct. cables are in good condition, battery holds a charge while in use and holds charge after recharging. but is flat dead if left hooked up and left in boat for any period of time. What am I missing?
sweet nautique
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2008 at 2:42am
You have a draw, or a small amp "leak"...
A 1 amp draw on a 100 amp hour battery will completely discharge it in 100 hrs. 2 amps of draw will do it trice as fast.
Remove the positive cable , hook a 12 volt test light between the post and the cable if there is a draw the light will shine.
Step "B" start pulling fuses till you isolate the circuit that is causing the draw.
Step "C" find what that draw is.....Boat dr
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2008 at 7:41am
Tyler. The Doc has got you going in the correct direction but I wanted to add one thing about starting type batteries. They do not like to be fully discharged so do hunt down the drain soon. Unlike deep cycle batteries that are designed for a near zero discharge, a starting battery will be damaged each time it is drained. 3 or 4 times may be it for the battery.
Has anyone been doing some "creative" rewiring?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2008 at 11:27am
also is the water level right in the cells of the battery? pull the tops and check, might look like it's maintance free but is it? I know several brands are not.
LaurelLakeSkier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LaurelLakeSkier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2008 at 11:49pm
Another possibility is a bad diode in your alternator. If you don't find anything else causing the drain you may want to have the alternator tested.
tyler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tyler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2008 at 3:57am
Thanks for all the tips, Problem solved! stereo was the calprit, must of had some sort of internal short, was drawing power even thow it was off.
sweet nautique
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2008 at 1:08pm
Originally posted by tyler tyler wrote:

Thanks for all the tips, Problem solved! stereo was the calprit, must of had some sort of internal short, was drawing power even thow it was off.

most likely it was the clock feature of the radio that was the draw, if you leave that wire un-connected and leave the other power feed connected you shouldn't have the drain.

most radio's have two power feeds a red and a orange wire I believe one is for the clock and other is for the radio. Check the manual's wiring diagram and you'll see what I'm refering too.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic