NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Redneck Perfect Pass

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 4>
Author
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Redneck Perfect Pass
    Posted: June-02-2008 at 7:10pm
A few know what the latest add is to our old boat, but to all else here goes...........
Our old '64 has a foot throttle and can be a pain for running any distance at a set speed,foot cramps.....
After looking at other speed control devices on the market I was not going to spend that much for foot releif.........
Did a Google on cruise controls, and found several but only one that would serve my particular needs.
AudioVox makes a unit that fits the needs.Servo size about the size of a tennis ball and a dash mounted switch.
The Hall Effects Sensor w/2 magnets mount on the drive shaft coupler, tach lead to the coil, servo vacuum to the PCV vacuum source, completes hardware.
1 hot lead to constant 12 v one lead to 12 v switched two grounds and mount the conrol box on the dash......
Too easy and way TOO COOL. 5 hrs of labor to install and trouble shoot for bugs, and 102.33 for unit shipped to my door.................Boat dr
anthonylizardi View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anthonylizardi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2008 at 7:30pm
Cool idea, smart, affordable and effective. Have any pictures? BTW, I sent you an e-mail about removable platforms brackets. Do you still sell them? Is so, do you think I can give a call one of thiese days to get more info?

Thanks,
Anthony
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2008 at 8:11pm
Anthony, some how me and Emails dont seem to work too well, but i can talk................1-318-386-2825
RainDog View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RainDog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2008 at 8:50pm
Doc, how about a few pics.
While we are on it, how about the GL 07 pics?
Karen was shootin like crazy and I know you are sitting on some gems.

It would be a good way to jump start the chatter and get everyone excited about 08.
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2008 at 1:53am
Hey Doc... If you really want to be redneck why not use a brick or even a boat anchor???
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2008 at 2:26am
I guess there is a different meaning down here for that term than is used elsewhere.I seem to pride mtself in thinking outside the box that so many seem destined to be trapped in for eternity.
Using my mind rather than my charge card, and not following but rather going to the beat I here inside my own head.
My neck actually being "RED" or sunburned from doing an honest days work outside in the heat and clean air.
This does not mean using a brick or an anchor but using your brain and reasoning power to say ,,,,,WHY NOT.........
Lots of conversations with Pete start with "Shoot down this idea, and if you can I will start over." I have a lot of respect for him and his formal education,at times we even agree.
Speaking of bricks , what type system do you have or is an anchor your choice???? Boat dr
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2008 at 2:36am
Sorry Doc, A northern born but raised Ga boy I am and the term redneck only means one thing to me.....just have the standard MV-1 throttle control at wrists edge. It's probably a good thing, helps to build a strong wrist. No limp wrists round here...

Standard 15 lb mushroom anchor is behind drivers seat for anchoring or tossing at the annoying jetskiers jumping 20 ft behind the boat. Whichever comes first.
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2008 at 6:52am
Originally posted by Morfoot Morfoot wrote:

Standard 15 lb mushroom anchor is behind drivers seat for anchoring or tossing at the annoying jetskiers jumping 20 ft behind the boat. Whichever comes first.

ROFLOL Foot!
I use it for the same things... Only thing is, mine is under the back seat, so I miss the jetskiers a lot. LOL
- Gun control means: using BOTH hands!
- Money doesn't make one happy, but when it rains cats and dogs, it's still better to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle...

The Lake View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Lake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2008 at 9:50am
Originally posted by boat dr boat dr wrote:

Anthony, some how me and Emails dont seem to work too well, but i can talk................1-318-386-2825

A truer statement was never made.

Chuck
Walk on Water
www.coldwater.me

69 Ski Nautique
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2008 at 11:20am
Billy, Correct Craft figured it out in 1964, that original toe/heel pedal already did that. Sounds cool though. I look forward to seeing it one of these days.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2008 at 11:36am
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

Billy, Correct Craft figured it out in 1964, that original toe/heel pedal already did that.

Bruce, He's got a heel and toe but keep in mind that as we age, our ankle and leg mussels get weak. Of coarse compounding the problem is the return spring Billy's got on it - I think he used a spring off a 7' by 16' overhead door!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2008 at 11:40am
Pete, he's got one of those big racing pedals like they put on the bass boats, (I know you're cringing).

The tow/heel pedal shouldn't have a return spring, but should stick where you leave it, right? That's how it was on our Barracuda.
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2008 at 11:55am
I bet he's got one of those big chromed pedals in the shape of a foot and toes
"the things you own will start to own you"
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2008 at 12:20pm
What's wrong with that??? You got something against FooT???

quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2008 at 12:43pm
Originally posted by RainDog RainDog wrote:

Doc, how about the GL 07 pics?
Karen was shootin like crazy and I know you are sitting on some gems.

It would be a good way to jump start the chatter and get everyone excited about 08.

Stevo,

In case the Good Dr missed it on your post!!

Doc, time to give up the goods!!
RainDog View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RainDog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2008 at 7:50pm
I dunno, Quinner. What is it gonna take?

I think Billy might have something like my old man used to have - highly selective hearing.

After all, he is MARRIED now an these types of skills do come in handy.

How's the water temp on Deep?
behindpropeller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2008 at 7:57pm
Boat Dr-

Good find. I ordered one today!!!

Just my style!!
Tim

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2008 at 8:45pm
Doc, i have you beat, i drove a 1972 pinto around for 2 months that i paid 60 bucks for, the floor was a no parking sign, and the cable broke to the carb so i tied a string to carb linkage and brought it thru the firewall and it was hand operated from that point
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2008 at 9:18pm
Tim , give me a call and will turn you on to a few of the tips the Tech gave me.
A couple of things are not real plain and seem to contradict. The guy I spoke with was sharp and walked me right thru it......
1-318-386-2825..........
Just put the final touches on the linkage arms, now it should work in all modes..
Speed up
Speed down
Speed set
BEST OF All "RESUME"
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-04-2008 at 12:02am
Originally posted by RainDog RainDog wrote:

How's the water temp on Deep?

It's a risin! Last weekend 63deg at the surface. Probably up some since.
80 Ski-Tique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 80 Ski-Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-04-2008 at 12:52am
Let us know how it works! How close is of a tolerance does it have on speed? It is like 1 or 2 mph or less?
Dank View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-04-2008 at 7:52pm
Is this the one you used? I'm interested in the tolerance as well. Would it be sufficient for wakeboarding?

CCS100
"I don't know what the world may need, but a V8 engine's a good start for me"
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-04-2008 at 8:21pm
spinner hubcaps for the trailer anyone? lol
i gotta hand to you Boat Doc, redneck engineering

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 80 Ski-Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2008 at 1:17am
I just realized that the unit you used will only hold rpm, not speed. So it will work great for your intented use but not for wakeboarding where you might increase 400-500 rpm to maintain the same speed under a hard load. I was starting to wonder why everyone with older boats aren't using that for wakeboarding but it has to have either a GPS speed sensor, best option, or a standard pressure based speed sensor or paddle wheel. Man I wish I could get something like that cheap!
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2008 at 1:30am
Originally posted by 80 Ski-Tique 80 Ski-Tique wrote:

I just realized that the unit you used will only hold rpm, not speed. So it will work great for your intented use but not for wakeboarding where you might increase 400-500 rpm to maintain the same speed under a hard load. I was starting to wonder why everyone with older boats aren't using that for wakeboarding but it has to have either a GPS speed sensor, best option, or a standard pressure based speed sensor or paddle wheel. Man I wish I could get something like that cheap!

It will indeed use a paddle wheel, there are several setting as to PPM, but finding a sender that is campatable with that may prove difficult.
this unit senses RPM as well as the drive shaft sensor, so with the correct sendor it would maintain speed with no regard to rpm's............Boat dr

And yes to that being the same unit I am using, still working on linkage issues . But this is a minor setback if you want all the features to work......Boat dr

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 80 Ski-Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2008 at 1:46am
Sweet, let me know what sensor you end up using and how tight it will hold a speed. I don't have anything on my boat but a slightly skilled hand working the throttle but my friend's newer boat has Perfect Pass and it's awazing how much rpm it has to pick up when you rail or turn hard to maintain the same speed. I always said it was for people who didn't know how to drive a boat until I wakeboarded behind his. No more thumbs up and down every 30 seconds. His will hold within a 1/2 mph, which I am jealous of. I would love to have something like it on mine without the arm and leg pricetag.
behindpropeller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2008 at 1:54am
My dad is going to give me a hand at getting a GPS chip and integrating it into this thing.

It might work perfect for me since I don't weigh the boat down and make it drive like a pig.

Tim

BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2008 at 2:12am
Originally posted by 80 Ski-Tique 80 Ski-Tique wrote:

So it will work great for your intented use but not for wakeboarding where you might increase 400-500 rpm to maintain the same speed under a hard load.

Are you running with a lot of extra weight/ballast?
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2008 at 9:46am
I would think you wont need a paddle since you have sensor on the prop shaft, the unit should sense the load on the shaft and automatically compensate with more throttle, i think it will be pretty accurate at keeping the boat to speed, even if your running ballast
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2008 at 9:51am
but again the prop is turning exactly engine speed for most ha ha (unless its slipping)
it should work like a gem for what the boat doc is going to do with it
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 4>
  Share Topic