Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Redneck Perfect Pass

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 234
Author
Stunt Driver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stunt Driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2015 at 7:52pm
Kristof - i don't think anyone did master audiovox-GPS combo. I'd like to hear otherwise.

mParsons - Thanks for reply!
I generally say - nah, how could it fail:)
But this time, with boat, where I am on the rope and can't even be heard - I decided to stick wtih limiter, vs rev-upper mechanism.

I spent some time figuring out if I can use Audiovox like sytem, honestly. but decided to give myself a bit more challenge - What can there be so complex in actual Perfect pass that can not be reproduced??

Getting my factory made PCB today, expect udpate in blog;)
ps sent you email, hope you got it

To All - any one can advise an IC that can be used for RPM measurement? I invision an IC that constantly measures time between pulses, and outputs that time via several pins (prefer not to use any data bus). I'm looking to offload this routine from my CPU, and hopefully increase accuracy too. best I can get is 0.5% error cycle to cycle so far.

1999 Bayliner Capri - aka poor man's Nautique

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stunt Driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-18-2015 at 4:53pm
Got decent RPM based system working last weekend. Need to decrease servo step a little bit to make corrections smaller. This means HW is all good. Will have to work on smarter algorithm to adjust RPMs so that speed is close to setpoint.

Since my boat is I/O with 3.0L - it is never going to be held steady at setpoint speed or RPM, unlike most direct or V drive boats. But already I am able to remove taks of keeping speed constant from person at the controls

Going to order couple more kits now, who is ready to install and provide testing results?

s_kelley2000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote s_kelley2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-19-2015 at 6:06pm
Nice work! I might be interested in testing one out for you on my Nautique Super Sport. You don't see any reason it wouldn't work with EFI do you?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stunt Driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-19-2015 at 7:12pm
With my limited knowledge about engine names - that EFI has a carbuerator that is controlled by rod, pulling on it to throttle up? Then it should work, i'm excited to learn how it behaves!

Can you shoot me a picture of where throttle cable/rod connects to carb at couple angles? Wouild like to evaluate how much space exists for the servo installation. That is the least figured out part when it comes to production.

s_kelley2000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote s_kelley2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2015 at 5:42pm
Originally posted by Stunt Driver Stunt Driver wrote:

With my limited knowledge about engine names - that EFI has a carbuerator that is controlled by rod, pulling on it to throttle up? Then it should work, i'm excited to learn how it behaves!

Can you shoot me a picture of where throttle cable/rod connects to carb at couple angles? Wouild like to evaluate how much space exists for the servo installation. That is the least figured out part when it comes to production.

There is no carb, its multiport fuel injection. But there is a traditional throttle cable just like with a carbed motor. I think there should be room for the servo, I know the perfect pass servo fits on other 502 Pythons. I will get you some pics though.

Shawn

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stunt Driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-28-2015 at 6:20pm
I'm struggling with correct RPM measurement here...

Below is what I see at my tachometer input. When I tried to count number of peaks - get 4 per revolution, but second parasite peak sometimes is too low.
However, there must be a simple R/C/else circuit to count one spark as one count.
Anyone can help?
Googling hard, but since i'm not EE by education - not having luck here.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stunt Driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2015 at 3:42pm
I have wakeboarded with speed controlled by my homebrew SteadyPass - and it prooved to be PERFECT!
Working to enable two more DIYers with this kit now, to extend testing, but expect nothing but success.
Here is raw screen of my device during RPM and then Speed modes youtube

mparsons View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mparsons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2015 at 9:28pm
Wow man, I can't believe how great this has turned out so far. Hate I was too busy to try and contribute to any of the code. Guessing your using rpm to help you steady out the GPS speed?! Anyways man very impressive. I'd be happy to support you and buy a unit
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2015 at 10:00pm
Impressive

'92 Correctcraft Ski Nautique
Aengenend View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aengenend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2015 at 12:45pm
Hello Stunt Driver,

Greetings all the way from holland,

Back in the day we used to wrap a few inches of wire around one of the spark plug wires to get a pulse for an ignition shut off relay.

Maybe this will supply a usable trigger signal for your RPM measurement..

I would like one of your kits for testing, primary use is wake boarding with occasional sky skiing and barefoot.. If all is well I know 1 of my buddies will want one too and maybe another one...

I would like to fabricate a bracket to use the PP style bowden cable linkage to the carb, this still is a non rev up solution. You think it can be done?

It will be on a 93 ski with the pro boss carb HO which is converted to LPG using an IMPCO 425 LPG mixer..
SN 93, Pro Boss HO, GT-40P, ACME 422

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stunt Driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2015 at 2:25pm
Hello Aengenend!

legally speaking, that stepper+cable solutin is patented. Since i want to offer something for a light DIY-able person to have - I'd rather stay away from that.
HOWEVER - if one wants to make one himself, and use for personal matters, and maybe even share detailed drawings here? That shoudln't be of any issue!

Control principle is same as mine, but programming would be very different. Interesting idea to try.   I can help with programming, if you are ready to work on cabled actuator solution itself. My head unit electrically has no problem to control it.

Update on my project - I am building two kits for two early responders from this forum right now, out of 3 PCBs that I have originally ordered.   One servo with hand made bracket already installe dand fitted well.   Hope to have usefull feedback of real world use (beyond my personal) in august!
Then will order more PCBs with updates, create 3D model of bracket for CNC, and roll out a dozen kits.
Cost is still looking arond $200. Allthou having to go to more expensive precise servo, and possibly pay for CNCing mounting brackets may push it $20-40. We'll see.

What do people think about having code as Open Source?   Some basic C++ programming skill is required, but far not at expert level, to be able to customize features and screen contents. Would this be interesting ?

ps - I did master RPM signal clean up finally. :)
Aengenend View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aengenend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2015 at 3:56pm
Hi,
I wasn't thinking of a stepper, just build a mount for the servo and link ik via Bowden to throttle linkage. No alternate programming required, just a different type of mounting..

Perhaps a servo for RC sailing boats is a nice option? They have large angles of operation and a lot of torque..

I'll try to etch a sketch a setup later, have some work to do now so I'll step in with a drawing later.

Either way, sign me up for a set whenever you're ready.

The other boat of interest is a 95 ski whith a gt40, also fitted with LPG, but still capable of running on petrol so double test capable..
Aengenend View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aengenend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2015 at 4:33pm
So I made a drawing of what I'd like to use:

A: Link from throttle linkage to outside of bowden cable.
B: Link from OEM throttle cable to inside of bowden cable.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stunt Driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2015 at 5:09pm
Hm, interesting!
Looks different than what's patented, at least for servo part. Bowden cable looks same.

Most servos have 180 degrees, however - can use about 90 to 120 max, to keep things linear AND to minimize vertical movement (if you call horizontal movement - direction of throttle rod travel).   Too much vertical travel - starts bending rod, getting whole solution to stall.

There is a linear servo option, but only one I found so far - is $80, and doesn't feel too robust.

I feel 25mm rod control (by servo - 120 degrees with about 1 inch arm) - is enough.
Increasing servo arm lenght - harms position accuracy, that is where i started initially. Need about 0.2mm accuracy.

I thought thru many options of actuator, but what I like about my current plan - minimum of parts. yet robust because of 2 ball bearings in servo. But I'll be happy to see alternative solutios, like yours! If there is anything I can do on programming side - still happy to help!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stunt Driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-16-2015 at 6:03pm
Good news - first test unit is out in the wild. RPM/GPS works. Servo ramains bit of a problem - cheap unit works but nto precise enough. Looking for next step up.

My plans (limited by time and funds available) are starting to firm up.

During 2015 i will be able to roll out very limited number of head units, only targeting mechanically inclided people, preferable with CNC access - since servo side remains in design. Cheap and cheerfull unit didn't work as i hoped.

In 2016 i should be able to improve design enough for it to become a real product, wtih all parts in a kit, in a shiny box:) and most important - with warranty. Still way below price of perfect pass, but with all the upgrades and expensive servo - not at $200 unfortunately.

Feedback that I hear - suggests fine unit with warranty is preferred over garage made fix it yourself approach. But topic is open for discussion!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 234
  Share Topic