NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Redneck Perfect Pass

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234>
Author
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-21-2008 at 10:38pm
Doc, I never had any doubts what so ever that you wouldn't get it going! Fantastic!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Brktracer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brktracer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2008 at 5:26pm
My boat holds speed much better since getting the prop and shaft fixed not to mention the bad cam.

It is fine skiing but we've found it's tough to hold 21 mph for kneeboarding. Maybe this is a possible solution. Also, the gps unit should work in place of the magnetic trigger. Another possibility.

I've determined I've got way too many other projects going right now so my RPP will have to wait. It's on my "C" list.

Matt
telluride36 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote telluride36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2008 at 5:09am
Has anybody done this to their boat, and used it for wakeboarding yet? I can pull people at a steady speed, but none of my friends can do it for me. I would love to do this for under $100 but not gonna pay $1000 for perfect pass.

I wanna hear from you before I get started on this. I wakeboard at a small lake, and need to know how it does on the turns pulling a wakeboarder.

Thanks
horkn View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2008 at 2:09pm
Originally posted by 80 Ski-Tique 80 Ski-Tique wrote:

Yes we ride with ballast but that is not what really makes a difference. We pull so hard against the rope doing certain tricks that I can pull the boat off plane if I want to. My buddy is really big and built and when he pulls or rails the motor has to gain 400-500 rpm's sometimes just to maintain the same speed. A shaft sensor doesn't compensate for prop slippage and that's why a good perfect pass unit uses a GPS speed signal to maintain speed. My boat pulling wakeboarders can run anywhere from 12- 26 mph at the exact same rpm, it depends on the rider's weight and how hard they pull against the line. I agree it doesn't change much pulling slalom skiers but your not close to your planing speed when pulling them like pulling a wakeboarder which is usually around 20-23 mph. I can keep my boat within 3 mph but that feels like a big difference when your riding unlike skiing where a few mph is not that noticable.

I have the same issue.

Once I rode on a newer Air with PP, I enver wanted to go back.

I can really affect the boat's mph just by putting a load on the rope. 6'4" and 240lbs pulling on a Fly high can really alter the speed of the boat.

I wonder if my HP upgrade from 240-250hp to 300 or so with the performer manifold and gt40p heads will help the boat keep more steady speed. I would think that hp and tq upgrade would help.

But, if someone can inexpensively make a redneck PP, I will be all over it.

I hate having to give signals all the time to my GF. And believe me, she hates driving with me behind the boat. She thinks I am a wake snob. My Dad and other skiers/ boarders understand that constant speed does not equate to constant rpm.
78 martinique- refloored, reinforced, stringers re glassed, re engineered interior
GT40P heads Edelbrock Performer intake acme 4 blade
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v64/horkn/fish/nautique.jpg
RainDog View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RainDog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2008 at 5:43pm
From another thread...

Originally posted by boat dr boat dr wrote:

Steve get a real job like the rest of poor slobs, gotta water wheel question.Still got that bone in my mouth as to the red neck perfect pass.
If that is indeed hall effect does it produce AC or DC voltage. I have one hooked up in the shop and cannot get a reading either way,sorry for being less than smart on this issue.
Share some brain cells with the old man..................Billy

Billy, I believe the cruise control uses a hall effect switch where it does not produce voltage or current. It is a pulsing contact.

Think of it like a wall switch for your lights at home. If you turn that switch on and off as fast as you can with a meter across it, will you generate electricity? Nope. However, if you apply 120V and a light bulb to the circuit, you can now turn the light bulb on and off. If you turn it on and off really slow, you have darkness and light. If you turn it off and on really fast, you'd have something that looks like a continuous dim light. If you turn it on and off super duper fast, you'd have a bright light.

Well, that is how your cruise control module reads the speed from the hall effect switch and the magnets on your coupling. The cruise control module supplies (sources) power to the circuit and reads the frequency of the pulsing contact to figure speed. The module then modulates the throttle actuator to make the frequency equal to the frequency it was reading when you pressed your 'cruise' button.

If you want to read anything from the hall effect switch, you need to use your digital volt meter and measure the frequency. It should go up and down as you rev the mighty 331.
RainDog View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RainDog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2008 at 5:50pm
I do want to mention that there are types Hall Effect sensors will generate a varying voltage or current. But I believe what we are working with is actually a Hall Effect Switch which is a pulsing contact.
Tomski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tomski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-26-2010 at 1:29pm
Doc, may need a bit of info on this as i have come by a ccs100 cruise unit and am thinking of using it on the boat if you are still happy with it. If not what was the problem?
Easily Parted From Money
form&function View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote form&function Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-26-2010 at 1:57pm
I came apon this thread before I was even a member here.I managed to hook up a gps puck and set the unit to read like a gm tranny with a pulse sensor.After dialing it in a bit it worked very well.I payed 80 for the unit and 200 for the puck but I am sure the puck has come down by now.
Tomski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tomski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-26-2010 at 7:02pm
I was going to try it just on revs for now. Was talking to someone at the weekend who had PP wakeboard pro on his boat and said he always ran it in RPM mode because the speed mode never worked right - I spent a season riding behind the boat and was never aware of any issues with holding speed.

The pulse generator is the way I'll go if it doesn't work. I was wondering this morning if anyone has written a pulse generating ap for the iphone? Tunes, comms and speed control in one unit - now that's effecient.
Easily Parted From Money
horkn View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2010 at 2:25am
this kit?

I was not able to find this on Summit's site, but found it a few other places. I would rather buy from a more reputable source.
78 martinique- refloored, reinforced, stringers re glassed, re engineered interior
GT40P heads Edelbrock Performer intake acme 4 blade
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v64/horkn/fish/nautique.jpg
Tomski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tomski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2010 at 8:09am
That's what I've got. Mine has been removed from a car. I don't think it's manufactured any more.
Easily Parted From Money
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2010 at 11:19am
That is the kit I used on Karens ,works great. Keeping the magnets secured to the coupler was the biggest pain, epoxy will not hold.
I will share more info if needed on the setting of the dip switchs.When I came up with the idea, too cool, before I was thru I wanted to throw it in the lake, two years later it still works as good as new.
Morfoot had a pull behind her, with cruise, and with out......
Tomski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tomski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2010 at 1:39pm
Well I've got the thing now so it's going on whatever, but I'd be curious to know what morfoot thought of the pull.
Easily Parted From Money
Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2010 at 4:26pm
Originally posted by form&function form&function wrote:

I came apon this thread before I was even a member here.I managed to hook up a gps puck and set the unit to read like a gm tranny with a pulse sensor.After dialing it in a bit it worked very well.I payed 80 for the unit and 200 for the puck but I am sure the puck has come down by now.

I'd like to know more about this F&F, since I got a unit too and plan to build it in my boat this winter...

BTW, Akabulla did something similar on his boat:

Originally posted by akabulla akabulla wrote:

Well I found exactly what I was looking for. It is a GPS sender to replace your paddle wheel. It works with all electrical type speedo devices. The paddle wheel was $112 and this device is $210 after converting it from Australian currency.   So for a little more than $100 over the paddle wheel I will have GPS and get to use my matching speedo and don't have to cut a hole in my boat! Perfect pass will have to wait till next summer. Here is a link if anyone is interested:

http://www.hummingbirdelectronics.com.au/senders.html

Once I get it installed I will let you know how it works!

- Gun control means: using BOTH hands!
- Money doesn't make one happy, but when it rains cats and dogs, it's still better to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle...

akabulla View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akabulla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2010 at 8:31pm
The humming bird works like a champ! Easy to install and has never failed me. It is a little slow but nothing to bad to wakeboard with.
Tomski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tomski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2010 at 8:39pm
It arrived today and looks easy enough to fit and connect. Not sure what running it with magnets and the tach signal achieves?

I am curious about going GPS. Can't believe there isn't an iphone app that will generate a pulse. I've looked into the full technical spec of my garmin and that will produce a speed output, but it's raw speed vector data which my simple audiovox is not going to understand.

Think it's last run of the season this wekend, so will board then winterise then look at instalation issues. I was thinking of using a flexible throttle cable for the last bit to the carb so as not to need the slip link arangement the Doc had to perfect - any reasons not to? I know there isn't mechanical close on the throttle anymore, but there isn't with the slip link either.
Easily Parted From Money
Fl Inboards View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fl Inboards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2010 at 9:06pm
Originally posted by horkn horkn wrote:

this kit?

I was not able to find this on Summit's site, but found it a few other places. I would rather buy from a more reputable source.

In 1995 We were mandated by the then president Mr Walt to come up with our own design for a speed control for waterskiing. At the time we were utilizing the Hobbs system that worked well enough to pull world level tournaments, But it was deemed that our department could fab and build one good enough to satisfy the IWSF mandate for speed control in a tournament boat. we actually installed a very similar unit as the the one sold thru Summit. I remember utilizing a vacume canister out of a Ford Bronco to help maintain good vacume to keep the system engaged. I put those hall effect magnets all over the place and mounted crazy mounts for the pick ups. Finally we realized and were informed that we could not get around the propriatry patents that Mr. Hobbs owned and later sold to Perfect Pass. So long story shortened that same unit that we played with got pulled out of the boat and installed in our 05 Ford truck and to this day is still working in that truck!
Hobby Boats can be expensive when the hobbyist is limited on their own skill and expertise.

1993 Shamrock "fat" 20. 2008 Nautique 196 5.0
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2010 at 11:19pm
Jody, leave it to a red neck to make it work. Two magnets super glue and safety wired onto the coupling.Use the highest dip switch setting on #1 and #2 4000PPM turn #3 and #7 on. Some of us have deeper pockets than others.
My RNPP was not built nor shared here as a top end water ski item you demand. The install and tweeking to final plug and play was about four hours.Morfoot did a few passes this week end at 32 ,34, and at 37 it would hold his speed with the only change being the exhaut note.
It is not as good as yours but works well for the money invested,100 dollars.....
Check out the video on Tim's Boat dr visit. Then again I have a slight power advantage over you also,34 mph = 3000 rpm...12x16 OJ......
Tomski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tomski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2011 at 11:24am
I'm back on the case with this now and have a friend who has a freind who is a sofware developer and is keen to try and write an ap for Iphone and or android that will generate a GPS based pulse to feed into speed control.

What I am wondering is what king of sample rate is necessary to generate a smooth constant speed? I have downloaded a couple of freebie apps and they seem too slow to react, I am not sure whether thats a low sample rate or a product of the vectoring used to generate a constant read out.

I'll have a look at PP and see if that has the rate on there. My plan was to do it so that the PPM is adjustable.

Tom
Easily Parted From Money
mparsons View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mparsons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2015 at 6:07pm
I wanted to resurrect this post and ask if anyone has had any luck getting this system to work with a gps module. Ive ordered the CCS 100 and a high rate GPS module that should create the signal wave that the cruise controller can use. I was hoping someone may have done this since the post had originally started 5 years ago!
Anyways ill do my due diligence to update this post for anyone else trying this. Im shooting for april 11th and 12th to try to install this system. Ill let everyone know how it turns out. Thanks
Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2015 at 6:53pm
Cool... Document your progress with pictures... Lots and lots of pictures!!!

- Money doesn't make one happy, but when it rains cats and dogs, it's still better to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle...

mparsons View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mparsons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2015 at 12:46pm
Hey Doc would you mind if i gave you a call some afternoon? id love to pick your brain about your throttle linkage setup. That seems to be the bread and butter of this system. Im an electrical engineer so i know i can get the speed signal and cruise module to operate, i just want to learn from someone experienced how to go about the mechanical linkage side. Also if anyone else has pictures of this type of setup, please feel free to post them.

From looking at your pictures Doc it seems that the original throttle cable has now been extended with a spring linkage that can allow the cruise to operate the entire "throttle range" by pushing against the spring on the original cable, or moving with the spring on the original cable. Any help is always appreciated!
Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-03-2015 at 6:46am
I got lots of pictures on Doc's setup when I was staying at his house.
I'll see if I get to posting some tonight.

mparsons View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mparsons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-03-2015 at 10:50am
Kristof that would be awesome if you could get some pictures. Any and all pictures you have of the throttle linkage at the carburetor on Docs boat will help me a ton!
Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-03-2015 at 4:22pm
Matt,

Searched my whole computer and even my external hard drive. Can't find the pictures anymore!!
Man I'm so bummed...

But on page 2 of this topic, you can find some pictures of Billy's setup. Those are pictures I had too.

Please please please, post lots of pictures of your work! So I can save them again on my computer...

mparsons View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mparsons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-04-2015 at 11:27pm
Kristof thanks for looking for me, i appreciate you trying. I have been referencing the pictures on page 2 for my plan. I am still waiting on parts, but like i said im going to give her 100 percent next weekend and see if i cant make some progress. Ill take pictures for you no doubt!
mparsons View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mparsons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2015 at 12:49am
As promised here are some pictures of the cruise progress so far.

Zero cruise throttle:

100 percent cruise throttle:

Overview:

Closer view of the slide block:

So the purpose of this block and spring system is to allow the boat throttle system to work as normal, but also allow the cruise actuator to advance or return the throttle independent of the throttle lever by the captain's chair.

If a picture is worth a 1000 words, a video might be worth a million! Excuse the crappy quality, it was shot to send by text.
View My Video
Stunt Driver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stunt Driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2015 at 2:50am
Allow me to join the party please!! Workign to solve same problem, but don't mind investing some time to make it pretty, and even build in small volume, if there is interest.
I am building system as speed limiter, similar to PP and RS. But it can be adapted to those throttle-pedal boats too. I just don't think it's safe to let DIY kit to thottle up.

Dear Mparsons - interested by your throttle control control! Have you water tested complete solution yet?

I am posting updates with photos and some videos here http://steadypass.webs.com/
Please help with feedback.
1999 Bayliner Capri - aka poor man's Nautique
mparsons View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mparsons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2015 at 8:40am
Stunt driver thanks a lot for joining in. Yes I have gotten my system to work on the water. It works really well at wakeboarding speeds, but I'm still working on the wake surfing speed ( wants to surge a little too much). The main problem causing the surge is the fact that the ccs system is only designed to engage at 30 mph or more, so I'm tricking it into thinking it it's faster than it really is. Are their any questions or any way I could help you?. I have had pretty much zero issues with my slip link throttle setup with at least 20 lake hours on it this way.
Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2015 at 2:09pm
Gentlemen,

Can you please please make a DIY on this how to install my Audiovox ccs in my boat and make it work with a GPS sender?
And I mean (to quote the movie "Philadelphia"): explain it to me like a six year old...

I have this kit on my shelf for the past five years now and never got the courage (nor time) to get to installing it...

And which GPS sender to get, and wherencan I buy one...

My gratitude would be enormous

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234>
  Share Topic