NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Boat Lift: Proper positioning of bunks?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
bilau View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bilau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Boat Lift: Proper positioning of bunks?
    Posted: June-02-2008 at 5:14pm
Hello all-

I have a 1988 SN 2001. The house I just bought came with a shorestation lift that looks like it will work. It's a 3,000 lb max lift (the 2001 is about 2,400 lbs), and has a "V" frame.

My question is how do I properly position the bunks? I know I've got to allow clearance for the prop, but other than just raising the bunks to the highest position, is there something else I should be doing?

Also, what's the best way to position the angle of the bunks so that they're flush with the hull. Does it make sense to put the lift in the water, pull the boat in and raise the lift almost to the point of contact to get the angle right?

As you can probably tell, this will be my first go at this, so any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks,

B.
behindpropeller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2008 at 6:09pm
Just make them the same as your trailer for width. For height you want it set up so your fins make it over the bottom cross members. Position your boat on the lift so that the motor sits in the middle. Your prop won't be close to hitting, it is the fins you need to pay attention to. Raising your bunks all of the way up will just limit the boat going on if your water is low. My bunks are set up so that they pivot to conform to the hull. I have the same lift/boat if you want me to take some pics tonight.

Tim

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2008 at 6:24pm
Originally posted by behindpropeller behindpropeller wrote:

Just make them the same as your trailer for width. For height you want it set up so your fins make it over the bottom cross members.

I think setting the bunks up the same width as the main stringers is a better idea- the CC trailers dont offer the best support, IMHO.

I also disagree with the fin clearance. My lift is set up so that the fins clear the rear crossmember when the lift is all the way down, but they dont clear the front when its raised a little bit. This allows me to bring the lift up a tad once Im on it (boat still floating) and the fins help me find the correct front-back position.
behindpropeller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2008 at 6:34pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Just make them the same as your trailer for width. For height you want it set up so your fins make it over the bottom cross members.

This allows me to bring the lift up a tad once Im on it (boat still floating) and the fins help me find the correct front-back position.

Fins sit over the front X member with the motor in the middle. Also, if the water ever goes up and you lift the boat with the fin sitting over the X member you will probably bend your fin.

Obviously Tim's fins won't make it past his rear X member on his lift if the water goes down.

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2008 at 6:47pm

Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

This allows me to bring the lift up a tad once Im on it (boat still floating) and the fins help me find the correct front-back position.

Fins sit over the front X member with the motor in the middle. Also, if the water ever goes up and you lift the boat with the fin sitting over the X member you will probably bend your fin.

With my set up, the engine is pretty much centered on the lift. Better the fins stop you on the front crossmember than the prop stop you on the rear. Dont worry, if you accidentally get the boat too far forward and the fin ends up on the crossmember, it will support the weight of the boat without bending. Dont ask me how I know.
emccallum View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emccallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2008 at 1:38pm
I have mine setup, so there is no way to hit the fins, and I know how far I need to pull up to get even weight. My lift is a cradle, and if the boat is too far back and someone (like a kid) were to step on the platform the bow will go up in the air, so make sure you can get the boat centered easily. trust me I know...
bilau View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bilau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2008 at 2:14pm
Thanks everyone for the great info. Here is a follow up for you:

I checked the clearance for the fins while the boat was sitting on the trailer, and I'm guaging it at about 9" (from the top of the bunks). The problem I have now is that the brackets that support the bunks on the lift, even in their highest position, only give me about 8" of clearance. It's a shorestation lift and they apparently offer extensions that allow you to raise the bunks an additional 3" (which shorestation claims will allow the skag to clear on ski boats), so my plan is to go for those extenders.

But my question now is, does that strike anyone as strange? The measurements for clearance are based on positioning the bunks in the same position as they are on the trailer (CC, type #3). Obviously if I placed the bunks closer together, I would need less in the way of clearance. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Thanks again for all your help.

B.
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2008 at 2:26pm
Have a Shorestation and the skegs will barely touch the plastic cover on the carriage if it is not lowered enough, basically a spin or so after the boat is floating. The bunks themselves will pivot so all you need to do is space them based on your stringer location. If you have a paddle wheel be sure it will not end up on the bunks.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic