NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New here with an old CC (’70 Barracuda)

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 234
Author
vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2009 at 3:37pm
I wouldn't even know how to adjust the alignment of the water pump. The 4 bolts are tight. There's nothing else that can move. As far as I know.

The coupler teeth, if that's the right term, on both the engine side and the pump are worn a bit. I think the P.O. ran it without the spider, I know I did once because there was no spider with the boat and I had no idea it was supposed to be there.

But this rubber one is quite for now.
korey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote korey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2009 at 3:58pm
Yeah I don't think that there is any adjustment in this setup. As long as all of the parts are there, not dammaged, and fairly clean when assembeled, it would be hard to mess the alignment up. For anyone who hasn't seen the HM302 setup, here is an old picture from the day I brought mine home:

The pump is directly coupled to the crank shaft with the coupler in question. The pump body is held by the blue plate on the very end of the engine, and four standoff/bolts. The only way that I can see the alignment getting messed up would be to bend/loose/dammage the standoffs.
Korey Morris

1970 CC Barracuda Project
1993 Sport Nautique
korey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote korey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2009 at 6:43pm
Hello all, kind of an update for my ongoing thread, and one new (small) problem.

First and foremost, I have been using and loving the 'cuda in her current condition. I'm using her just like you'd use a brand new boat. Almost every weekend, and at least one night a week. I've been on 6 different bodies of water this season (All in KY: Dale Hollow, Cumberland, Taylorsville, Green River, KY River, Ohio River) and have trips to a few more planned before it gets cold (Norris in TN, Tellico in TN, and a different pool on the Ohio river). She has been performing AMAZINGLY. I wish I had kept better count of how many tanks of fuel I've run this season, or installed an hour meter... I can say with quite a bit of confidence that my boat has seen more hours this season then 75% of the boats on most of the lakes that I'm on, and I am on a first name basis with several gas dock guys....

A couple of pics of the good times:

She was names early this year. Last call. Partially because of the owner's (my) aptitude for experiencing said "last call" quite frequently, and partially because of this resurrection of the 'cuda is it's "last call" on life.

The problem with the water pump coupler above showed up one more time. I shredded another coupler. I started looking into the problem and deemed the IMPELLER in the pump to be the problem. I had been running an impeller that was about 1/8" to wide. I bought that impeller on the recommendation of Depco Pumps, which was suggested by many on this site as the foremost experts on the Jabsco Pumps, but it looks like they missed it on me... I was able to find a slightly thinner impeller in the Jabsco catalogue and pick up an aftermarket replacement at car quest on the way out one Thursday night. The boat is currently running 25 deg cooler and not tearing up couplers. I'm a happy man!

The flat black paint left over from the previous owner is starting to flake off. Mainly in high traffic areas on the deck, and below the waterline. It has always been in my plan to get away from this paint, just not quite now. One bored weeknight I started sanding. I'm currently about 2/3 of the way down the port side of the boat. The gel is too far gone below the paint (many gouges all the way to fiberglass), so my plan is to get back to something solid (the original gel), patch and smooth as needed, then repaint with proper techniques and materials. The repainting will probably take place this winter, but my sanding effort has begun. I'm still using the boat in it's "under construction" phase. It’s ugly, but it’s still running!

So here is my latest problem:
While sanding I got carried away and didn’t do enough to shield the engine from dust. Mainly the carb. I took the boat out for the first time during my sanding, and it ran like complete garbage. Unfortunate, since she had been running amazingly, and I ran into a guy on Taylorsville Lake that day who knew what he was looking at (he even mentioned CCF and gave me his card). I wish it had been running well for another enthusiast...

Anyway, I decided that it was time to dive into the carb (non original Holey 4160 Marine, manual choke, vacuum secondaries). I tore it down, gave it a good cleaning, let the parts soak for about 3 days, and re assembled with a Holley kit. The kit DID NOT come with a secondary diaphragm or the seal that goes between the secondary diaphragm housing and the main carb body, so I reused these parts. I let that diaphragm soak with the other carb parts, and when I put it together it seems to have "swollen" from the fuel, and the old cork gasket seemed to be done for. After the cleaning/rebuild, the boat sprang back to life just as I expected, but I lost a little upper-mid power and about 500 rpms off of my very top end... I used to turn 4200 rpms all day, any day, now I'm lucky to hit 3700... I’ve always felt like this was a little low for the HM 302. What are appropriate RPMS for my package? I’ve been happy with the performance, but never knew if it was "right". Stats:

H-M 302, freshly rebuilt, outstanding compression. Unknown cam (presumed original), stock heads
1:1 Trans
Presumed original 12RH14 prop (note the 9/69 date stamped)

So what changed? I’m suspecting that secondary diaphragm. I can definitely feel that the boat is slower between 2000 and 3000 rpms, especially with someone on the rope. I really feel it when I’m the one on the rope. That and the loss of top end… I thought it was just because of the big load of people I’ve had lately (4-5 is FULL in a ‘cuda), but I had some WOT time by myself yesterday and it still only turned 3700rpms. Since the rebuild, everything else has preformed stellar. The boat is perfectly useable with no stumbling of missing, just slightly down on power all of the sudden.

Suggestions/comments/concerns?
Korey Morris

1993 Sport Nautique
korey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote korey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2009 at 6:53pm
Oh, I've also noted a distinct change in the sound of the boat since the rebuild. It’s just not as intense as it was. Maybe it’s me getting used to it, but it seems to have lost some there too… Makes since to me if it’s not making as much power, or moving as much air…
Korey Morris

1993 Sport Nautique
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2009 at 7:11pm
Originally posted by korey korey wrote:

Suggestions/comments/concerns?

Nice to see that boat being used as it was intended!

Next time youre out, run with the box open and have a buddy operate the secondaries by hand to see if you gain that power and RPM's back.
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2009 at 9:49pm
Buy the secondary diaphragm and do the job correctly, that will keep the secondaries from pulling in completely.This will account for loss of top end rpm's and a mid range lag.
Also this is not a text message forum. If you cannot spell, dont expect an accurate answer.......
korey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote korey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2009 at 10:25pm
Sory, I wasn't clear. I've already purchaced the diaphragm this evening and have it in now. I also grabbed a spring kit, just for the sake of tinkering. For now I didn't mess with the spring to see if I can get back to my baseline, but it may be a project for down the road. Never will have too many spare parts.

I won't get a chance to test the boat until this weekend.

On to the real meat of my question. Does anyone have any indication of the RPM range of this 302? does 4200 RPM sound correct for my 1:1 trans and prop size?
Korey Morris

1993 Sport Nautique
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2009 at 10:39pm
Korey,
I can't make out the pitch of the prop. Is it 14"?. If so, thats about right but then you don't know if the prop has been re pitched.

4200 to 4400 is about correct for the H/M but do keep in ming you do have the after market manifolds. However, 3700 isn't right. Somethings not right out your tach may not be telling you the truth. I know Charlie's (Brady) tach in his 70 Cuda reads low too. Better get a shop tach hooked up to confirm the WOT.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2009 at 10:39pm
Originally posted by korey korey wrote:

On to the real meat of my question. Does anyone have any indication of the RPM range of this 302? does 4200 RPM sound correct for my 1:1 trans and prop size?

Seemed perfectly clear to me!

4200 is a little on the low side. That 4bbl 302 should be turning closer to 4400 with the 12x14 Federal on there- but youre not far off. My Skier only gets 4200 according to my tach, but it comes out of the hole great and tops out at 47, which is good enough for me (for now). Take a GPS with you next time and see what you get.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2009 at 11:19pm
Korey my H&M manual states that a 302 with a 4bbl has a max intermittent operating speed of 5000. What impeller part # did you end up getting? My old one that I keep for a spare is 1210-0101, but I see my extra new one I have is marked as 1210-0001 . They are both the same size.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2009 at 11:22pm
Tim, are you getting 47 with someone in the back seat or alone?
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2009 at 1:48am
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Tim, are you getting 47 with someone in the back seat or alone?

Gary, that was with one person in back, plus the driver. I suspect that its generally good for 45-46 with 2 in front. I havent GPS'd the new Acme, though!
korey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote korey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2009 at 1:42pm
Thanks for the input guys. I've never had a speedo or GPS in the boat. I will be out with one this weekend though. I'll also check the boat's tach against my shop tach/dwell meter. Like I said above I threw the secondary diaphragm at it last night. Even that didn't come with the cork gasket between the housing and the carb body. I'm not sure what kit that's supposed to come with! There is a shop in town that is a renowned Holley expert, I'll stick my head in and ask him.

More on running WOT:
In my boat with pretty much any weight in the back I get some pretty intense porpoising at speeds above about 32-3300 rpms, maybe just a little higher. My boat has a slightly larger than original fuel tank, so with a full tank, there can be extra weight back there. I've written it off to just being an old, quirky boat. Is that correct?

On the impeller:
I'll have to look at the box when I get home. I've also got the depco receipt for the original. The impeller that is in there now was something that a local parts house had in stock, and is not a Jabsco part. It was $30 and available locally. They crossed it over from the jabsco number that I pulled from the catalogue on the Correct Craft parts list. 1210-0001 seems correct, but I'll have to double check to be sure.

Thanks again for the input guys! Hope the weather is as nice in your parts of the country/world as it is here today! T-storm over night, sunny and 75 right now!

Korey Morris

1993 Sport Nautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2009 at 1:48pm
Korey,
Any of the shorter 60's and 70's hulls porpoised with any extra weight in the tail end. That's normal.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2009 at 2:26pm
I have a question along the lines of porpoising. Not trying to open a can of worms on originality or anything but if you put trim tabs on, obviously that would help with the porpoising, but would it give you a smoother ride in rough waters?

I have theorized that if I could plain out at a slower speed then the boat would cut through the waves rather than just plop down on them. Isn't that one of the ideas behind the hydro-gate on the new ones? You can adjust it in rough waters to give you a smoother ride? Wondered if something like that could be adapted to an older CC.

Then again I know absolutely nothing as far as boat hull design so it might be a dumb idea.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2009 at 2:53pm
Originally posted by vondy vondy wrote:

I have theorized that if I could plain out at a slower speed then the boat would cut through the waves rather than just plop down on them. Isn't that one of the ideas behind the hydro-gate on the new ones? You can adjust it in rough waters to give you a smoother ride? Wondered if something like that could be adapted to an older CC.

Nope, the hydrogate wasnt designed with rough water ride in mind- it was introduced purely as a wake shaping device. It does have the effect of being able to raise or lower the bow (raising it means less wetted surface and a higher top speed), but the default position is down. If you dont order the hydrogate, it comes with a fixed plate to keep the bow down.

My opinion is that keeping the bow lower on these older boats in an attempt to improve the rough water ride would be dangerous. My Skier handled GL and LG just fine- actually it does best when you keep the bow UP. Also, by adding a little weight to the back and getting the boat to bounce, it actually increases top speed (to a point). Several people here have removed hook from their hulls to speed them up (and increase the porpoising). I say let it bounce!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2009 at 3:19pm
I totally agree with Tim. What he means as being dangerous is hooking the bow/stem of the hull and throwing you into a unwanted turn. A example of this would be going over the wake of another boat at a shallow angle. It gets tricky!!! I'm sure you have experienced it.

All the old hulls ran bow high I feel to maintain some control of the boat. With such a flat bottom, it doesn't take much for the aft end of the boat to spin around. (good for power turns though!!) The worst handling issue it may create is for the hull to have a tendency to hook a chine. Then they will tumble/roll!! I've seen it happen once. Thankfully no one was hurt.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2009 at 3:33pm
The Hydro-Gate's main function is for wakeboarding and such. But in their brochure, they say it is also used to keep porpoising down and give a smoother ride. But I understand the safety issue in the older boats.

I only bring any of this up because our lakes here around Dallas are so damn choppy and anything that could help would be nice. There are always calm coves to find but you almost drown getting to them in a little Mustang. Just a small amount of wind and you might as well be in the gulf.

Guess I'll have to move somewhere to calmer lakes.
korey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote korey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2009 at 3:57pm
Yep, handling these old boats in rough water is definitely a skill. We got caught on a particularly busy and windy day this weekend. Made me long for dad's Baja...

I'm lucky enough to live in an area with plenty of water to go around, and a unique geography to keep wind down. I understand that I’m biased, but I don't know how you would find better lakes for skiing than what you find in southern KY and TN. Miles and miles of glass everywhere!

Korey Morris

1993 Sport Nautique
300 ray View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300 ray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2009 at 2:05am
I boat on Cayuga Lake in NY and If the wife wants to ski it has to before 10AM otherwise we are searchin for a cove!! Korey my 73 16' Mustang with a 220HP Thermoelectron (Crusader) 302 with a 450cfm Holley turns 4400 RPM with 15 gallons of fuel and 1 in the front and 1 in the stern. Your Barracuda looks so similar to my STANG other than the windshield. AWESOME boats.
'86 300 SeaRay
'73 Correct Craft Mustang
tleed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tleed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2009 at 3:53pm
Korey,

I live in southwestern Virginia, which probably isn't as far from you as the the crow flies as it sounds. I have a real problem with you talking out loud about how great the lakes are in this area, because it can only result in increased traffic. I can understand that it is impossible to avoid bragging about these boats (mine is a '69 Barracuda with a Chrysler 318) and the fantastic boating conditions we have, but, please, in the future do not divulge your location.

BTW, you sound like a real lake gigolo. Do you mind sending directions to some of these lakes so I can do some more exploring myself? Confidentially, of course. My boat's down for the season awaiting a new floor, but I have a jetski for temporary fixes that could use some new scenery to chew up.

Thomas
Thomas

1974 Southwind 18 with 318 cubic inches of reverse rotation roller cam "Moparvation"
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2009 at 4:27pm
Who the hell elected you to be the "LAKE NAZI"
Part of this site is about sharing new places to "BOAT"
If you do not share these core values, you are on the INCORRECT SITE!!!!!
Korey thanx for the pics and the info on another great boating area...........................Boat dr
korey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote korey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2009 at 4:35pm
It's ok, i got the impression that he was joking.. if not, oh well..

At the same time, I spend a decent ammount of my on the water time trying to avoid the "Ohio Navy" on my KY and TN lakes... I see where he is coming from...

Anyway... The TVA was very good to us. Their legacy is much appreciated here!

I hope you've done Norris Lake in the KY/TN/VA corner!? I'd say that the tow through the mountains to get out of VA is a pain... But well worth it for some of the clearest water, sandy banks, and nice people in the southeast!
Korey Morris

1993 Sport Nautique
tleed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tleed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2009 at 4:40pm
C'mon boat dr, was the irony and blatant hypocrisy too subtle?
Thomas

1974 Southwind 18 with 318 cubic inches of reverse rotation roller cam "Moparvation"
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2009 at 4:50pm
Too old and too far SOUTH ....
I also do not read between the lines very well either,Put your brain in gear before you start typing.
I am very protective of my site and the freedoms that come with owning and using these old boats.You and your boat are welcome down here anytime, just don't bring the water mosquito when you come.
Doe's it take a full season to install a floor, that will only take a week-end down here..........Oh Well..........
tleed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tleed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2009 at 5:29pm
I could get the floor done in a weekend if I knew what I were doing and didn't have a '96 Blazer that I'm finishing the engine rebuild on, an' '85 Jeep J10 I'm working on an engine transplant for, and a "68 Fury convertible with a rebuilt engine sitting on an engine stand awaiting an engine compartment strip and repaint before it gets the new attitude installed. And all that's besides the office I run to fund it all. I don't understand the meaning of the word "bored". For me, it's just a matter of picking a project to enjoy tonight.

I'll come down there if Korey comes with me. I might need the numbers in case another one of my jokes capsizes.
Thomas

korey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote korey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2009 at 6:50pm
Korey is certified lake gigolo. If he can get there in less than 4 hours, he'll go pretty much anywhere on a whim...
Korey Morris

1993 Sport Nautique
korey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote korey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2009 at 3:06pm

I am confident that I found the problem... See the tears in the old diaphragm? Neither kit came with the cork seal that goes between the vac sec housing and the main body of the carb so I cut one out of some spare cork gasket material. NO way to REALLY test until i get it under load. Seems like I found the problem though.

I checked my trash. my impeller is a cross reference to Jabsco 1210-0001. It was made by Sierra marine. The Sierra part number is 18-3081. Car Quest had no problem crossing the Jabsco number to this. If you find yourself in a bind (as i was), and want an impeller quickly, I recommend this part!

This weekend my adventures are taking me island camping on the Ohio River!

We'll have the 'cuda, a mid 90's seadoo and a ~40' houseboat. Looks like the 'cuda will get a workout as the towboat...
map
Korey Morris

1993 Sport Nautique
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 234
  Share Topic