NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

’65 American Skier resto.

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
ethyl View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ethyl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ’65 American Skier resto.
    Posted: April-18-2008 at 6:17pm
I just bought this boat and it has a 289 Intercepter with a botched exhaust system. It looks like the hose should be 2.5 inch id and I'm wondering if I should run one piece of hose from the manifolds back to the transome. Also should I use hard or soft wall hose? When replacing the floor boards should I use marine plywood or green treated? There is ugly outdoor carpet on the inner sides as well as the floor which is going to be removed and I wonder what material I should use on the sides( vinyl or carpet) to come close to original. Many thanks in advance for your input, John.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2008 at 8:12pm
John, You have found absolutely the best place for help with the restoration of you 65. If you have been around for awhile and just not posting then you already know the knowledge available with our many members. If this is one of your first visits, trust me you will get the help needed! Welcome.

There isn't much in the reference section on the 65 but you should look through the mid 60's anyway just to get a general ideal on the interiors and the construction. The diaries have some good pictures of members Americans so take a look. Go to the diaries and look at the American Skiers.

diaries - american skiers

Get some pictures of the boat and post them so we can see what you are starting with. Pull the floor up and the first thing you will need to check is what's going on under it with the stringers. There have been some surprises!!
Hard wall hose for exhaust is preferred if the bend at the manifolds isn't too abrupt. It's not the easiest to bend! Marine ply isn't needed if exterior is used and epoxy resin coated. I do not recommend treated as it will react with any coatings. We can get into more details on the floor later.

The inside of the hull and the floor originally was done in HD vinyl wall covering!

Get the pictures up and if you have any problems with them we can help with that too!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2008 at 10:59pm
John,
Congrats on your new toy and welcome to the best Correct Craft site around! I put a new floor in my 64 a couple years ago using 5/8" B/C plywood and like Pete said, treated with epoxy resin.

Here is a
link to a post showing a few pictures of my "re-do".

Make sure you get some pics of yours! btw, where you located?
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2008 at 12:53am
John, welcome aboard this ship of fools.I too have one of those boats,would not trade for a brand new Air.
We spent a lot of time bringing her back to her present condition, they will turn heads anywhere you go.
I have lottsa pics some where on this site as to the floor and the rework of my exhaust .A search of the topic " Boat Dr. VS. 1964 American Skier " may show up the pics.
Again welcome and I will give you any and all the help I can........Boat dr
MaddMarxx View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MaddMarxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2008 at 1:05am
MaddMarxx View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MaddMarxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2008 at 1:06am
F$%&^*# jet skis!
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2008 at 2:27am
Mark, the BABE is hot but who is that Moron with the old man hat ???????
With that look he must be looking at Quinner bumping nasties on Reids dog Boaty...
Good looking boat, got any shots of that OLD GIRL under the HOOD????????
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2008 at 3:33am
The sides were either painted or had optional side panels. I am going to paint mine until I get my side panels reupolstered. The 68 brochure has some black and white photos of the 16' hull with painted sides and with side panels. I think both look good.

MaddMarxx View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MaddMarxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2008 at 7:26am
here you go
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2008 at 11:46am
Boat dr, what's that wood grain stuff on the inside of yur gunwales?
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2008 at 1:15pm
I like the power assist doghouse Doc has!
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2008 at 1:19pm
Originally posted by BuffaloBFN BuffaloBFN wrote:

I like the power assist doghouse Doc has!

I hope he didn't drill holes through the side of his motor box. Doc, your motor box has no vent. That stroker maybe starving for air.
RainDog View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RainDog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2008 at 1:06am
John,
The exhaust hose in my 62 Classic is 2-3/8" on a dual exhaust. I have a brand new piece of softwall long enough for both sides that I did not use. I'd like to sell it if you are interested. Email me if you are interested.

-Steve
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic