Forum Name: Boat Maintenance
Forum Discription: Discuss maintenance of your Correct Craft
URL: http://www.CorrectCraftFan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=49598
Printed Date: May-19-2024 at 12:54am

Topic: Bilge cleaning
Posted By: KennyO
Subject: Bilge cleaning
Date Posted: February-04-2021 at 7:54pm
The '99 Sport Nautique I picked up has the nastiest bilge I have seen!   Don't think it has been clean in 21 years and probably has had oil spilled in it. Today when I replaced the rudder packings I cleaned all the associated components and the area around the rudder and boy what a pain! It would be awesome to have some sort of spray on and rinse off product to clean the whole bilge.

What product and process have you found works best?

Replies:
Posted By: Jonny Quest
Date Posted: February-04-2021 at 8:40pm
Squirt 1/4 cup of Dawn liquid dish soap into the bilge. Add a gallon or 2 of warm water.  Go boating for an hour.  The soapy water will slosh around the bilge and remove much of the gunk.  Drain the bilge in an environmentally responsible manner.  Repeat if necessary.  You can do the same thing with the boat on the trailer - just pull the boat around behind the tow vehicle for 30 minutes or so.  Boating seems to do a better job though...

After bilge is clean, I use a smaller squirt once or twice a year to keep it looking nice.

JQ

-------------
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum

Posted By: DVskier
Date Posted: February-04-2021 at 9:22pm
I recommend Jonny Quest method except use really hot water. Your bilge will sparkle.

Posted By: MrMcD
Date Posted: February-04-2021 at 11:18pm
I have used that method for years.  It works.  I think in the old days I used tide but later switched to dawn.

-------------

Posted By: 1993R
Date Posted: February-05-2021 at 1:09pm
simple green and warm water is what I use

Print Page | Close Window