Forum Name: General Discussion
Forum Discription: Anything Correct Craft
URL: http://www.CorrectCraftFan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=46789
Printed Date: May-21-2024 at 6:40pm

Topic: Junk or restore?
Posted By: Grumpy
Subject: Junk or restore?
Date Posted: September-06-2018 at 5:45pm
Found a "74 Southwind on consignment at a marina ~6 hrs. away. Owner is asking $1995. Info. is sketchy. Here's what I know: Freshwater boat with 351 (?) winterized engine needing manifolds and risers, water pump, probably stringers (soft spot forward of the engine), unknown engine hours (per marina). Interior "OK", possibly a "few" hull blisters. Dual axle trailer needs tires, brakes questionable. Condition of gages and other "stuff" unknown. I've restored other boats (older CC, Penn Yan), but with what little I know I don't know if it's worth the trip. Obviously I need a LOT more info. Sound like a paper weight? Assuming the CC gods smile on me, what could this thing possibly be worth when I'm done?TNX in advance for your responses.

Replies:
Posted By: austinbenincasa
Date Posted: September-06-2018 at 6:01pm
I would say the price is really high. Looking at boats for sale in the 'For Sale' section, top dollar asking is around 6-8k in good condition average asking is 3k

Here is one that was for sale a couple years back that sounded like it was in pretty good running condition..they were asking $2,400

http://correctcraftfan.com/forsale/details.asp?ID=7483&sort=&pagenum=1" rel="nofollow - 1974 Southwind

As to whether or not the boat is junk comes down to what the boat is worth to you. Do you want to have the boat for a long time? Or are you looking to flip the boat? I would say it all comes down to how bad the haul is blistered.

Others might chime in a give their advice on the matter.

Posted By: SNobsessed
Date Posted: September-06-2018 at 6:28pm
You be upside down even if you got the boat for free.

There is a reason for scrapyards.

-------------
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin

Posted By: Grumpy
Date Posted: September-07-2018 at 10:42am
TNX for your comment. I'd be able to inspect the boat if it were closer. I've decided to pass. BTW---it's at "The Navigation Company" in Conneaut Lake, PA.

Print Page | Close Window