Forum Name: General Discussion
Forum Discription: Anything Correct Craft
URL: http://www.CorrectCraftFan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=2280
Printed Date: May-15-2024 at 3:54pm

Topic: Boating memories with Dad
Posted By: bkhallpass
Subject: Boating memories with Dad
Date Posted: August-19-2005 at 4:53pm
Yesterday would have been my father's 70th Birthday. He is the one who gave me the gift of boating and I wish he could have been here to go out on the boat with me. I thought I'd share one of my favorite Dad/boating stories.

Summer of 69. Headed out for the family vacation on a Friday afternoon. Lost a water pump in the truck not 20 miles from home. Changed it beside the road and headed up to the lake. Set up camp and launched the boat. As mom backed it off the trailer, threw a rod. My Dad packed up everthing and headed home. Boy was he pissed.

Woke up Saturday morning and my Dad was already up, out front removing the 312 Ford Engine from my mother's station wagon. He outfitted it, installed it in the boat, and we went skiing Sunday. Bought my mom a new wagon on Monday.

My Dad had a stroke when he was 55. For the last 13 years of his life he couldn't move his right arm, and could barely speak or walk. Yet, everytime he came to visit, the first thing he packed was a life jacket. I had to lift him in and out of the boat, but he didn't mind. He wanted to be in that boat.

Boating is really about family and friends. It's a way of life that gets in your blood.
Everytime I go out I'm grateful to my Dad for introducing me to this terrific pastime.

BKH

-------------
Livin' the Dream

Replies:
Posted By: 75 Tique
Date Posted: August-19-2005 at 5:40pm
Brian,

You touched a nerve. My dad died a couple years ago. I spoke at his funeral and one of the memories I shared was when I was a kid waiting on the dock in the afternoon because we could see my Dad's car cross the bridge on his way home from work. And how many, many evenings he towed me behind the old wood Hiliner and then the 66 Mustang, one summer patiently teaching me how to go on one.

They were memories that stuck with all three of us kids. My sister has lived on a lake and skied for the past 25 years, my brother bought a summer place on the same lake we were on as kids (the family camp had been sold). I have had a boat since I was 26 (that's 24 years) and have always lived near, but never on the water. Now I do have a "summer place" on the water with the primary objective of creating for my kids the same memories I have.

-------------

Posted By: Guests
Date Posted: August-19-2005 at 7:35pm
Great stories guys~!
My dad was my driver. He would pull me almost everyweekend from the time I was 18 - 30 every summer when we went to the lake. He put up with a lot of crap from me behind the boat. I was / am a very picky skier/barefooter. He died in 1992 @ 55 yrs. old in an airplane accident pulling my cousin from a plane that they went down in when it blew up. Got them both. I hardly ever skied a whole lot since. Now my son is 15 and can drive a boat. He was doing quite well behind the wheel of my dad's '81 Cobalt. He got to pull me in the new to me SN and he STOKED. He is not much of a skier but now with the Nautique he is pumped about wake boarding a little more. He really likes driving this boat. Hope to get it in the water tonight if it is running 100%~! I tuned it up and something was not right. Glad to have a boat mechanic as a good friend live close buy to help. Everyone else enjoy your dads and tell them how great they are for taking you skiing~! Wish I had more ofter~!
Brew

Date Posted: August-19-2005 at 7:36pm
Thanks Larry/75 Tique (Larry was my Dad's name BTW)

I shared a similar story at my Dad's funeral. Ours was a Wooden, 58 Trojan. I used to wait on the front lawn, vest on and ski in hand. Many nights when I know he was awfully tired, but he always took me out anyway.

BKH

-------------
Livin' the Dream

Date Posted: August-19-2005 at 9:38pm
Powerful stuff that comes out of this "little boaters" website. Awesome that you guys share your memories. My dad died 14 years ago also a very young 58. He used to get up at 3:30am on a saturday and load up the truck and boat and have everything ready before waking anyone else. We would be the first ones in line at the lake waiting for the ranger to open the gate at 6am. He did all that because he knew it was the only way his boys would get a couple ski runs on glass. He loved to drive, watch and cheer us on. We had an old Thunderbird trihull w/ a Johnson 135 hp outboard he installed a center pull pylon so we could pretend we had a "real" ski boat.
Happy Bday to your dad BKH, im sure he continues to enjoy watching his family enjoy boating.

Posted By: Bob's2001
Date Posted: August-20-2005 at 2:30am
I remember the old boat my Dad bought when I was teen. I had learned with my uncle John on Lake Huntsville when I about 10, and as a teen my dad bought an old 15''glas boat with a 35 Evinrude. We actually skied slalom with that old rig. The old man is still going strong at 84 and says he could ski, if he wanted to. All of us who still have dads around should remember to tell him how glad we are they took the time with us.

-------------
Bob Ed
83 2001

Posted By: stang72
Date Posted: August-20-2005 at 3:20am
For those of us who still are lucky enough spend time on the lake with dad...we read your stories and realize that time will some day be gone...for now , make that time available as often as you can...like he did for us !

My father is in his 70's and his passion for boating is still a way of life...he spends about every other month boating in Florida.When he is here , we meet on the lake...his large house boat is where we swim ,eat ,pour beverage and try to keep track of the youngsters! We bring our boat to take the kids skiing...he loves to watch his grandsons ride thier boards.Sometimes he suggests that he could surely get up a make a run!!! I wish I could give him just one good last pull...he knows that the next day would be hell though...damn, I do admire the that kind of spirit!   

-------------
stang

Face plants are not that funny when it's you face!

http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/images/3720/photo1.jpg" rel="nofollow - The Super Air

Posted By: reidp
Date Posted: August-21-2005 at 11:41am
I lost my dad 4 years ago. He was a workaholic and while he really loved boats, he unfortunately spent more time with his nose in the boat magazines than he did on the boat. But he certainly managed to make damn sure that there was always a family boat available for me. I realized years later that he really derived so much of his satisfaction and a great deal of pleasure just seeing and knowing the fun I was having that he was affording me. Once, a local marine patrol officer he knew informed him that he never saw any boat on the river more than he did mine, and that it must have a million hours on it. My dad repeated that story 1000 times. He taught me to ski behind, and get this, a 16' fiberglass 1957 Thunderbird (so the registration said), with TWIN 40 HP Evinrudes. It must have been the first 'glass boat made and was this huge, tall, wide, bulbous thing, but it worked. A number of years later he supported me on my first Correct Craft project, the restoration of a 1958 Starflite (fins and all) when I was in college. I miss my dad and all that he did for me, and most of which I was somewhat oblivious to. My wife and I never had kids, but just yesterday afternoon I was fortunate enough to be able to take a dozen+ Boy Scouts, screaming like Girl Scouts, tubing behind a CC Mustang. Thanks Dad.

-------------
ReidP
/diaries/details.asp?ID=231&yrstart=1971&yrend=1975 - 1973 Mustang

Date Posted: August-23-2005 at 4:31pm
Just to add a little to 75 Tique"s message--Our children are grown and on their own. All very proficient on the water. Our oldest lives in Virginia and can't wait to return to the lake with her family. Her 5yr old tried skiing for the first time last week-- almost made it. Next summer for sure. He and his 3yr old sister still really enjoy tubing. All our children are well involved in "LAKE EFFECT" I must confess we drive a malibu, please forgive
How fortunate we all are to have been given such wonderful memories with our parents

Date Posted: August-23-2005 at 5:00pm
One other thing to think about as you read this thread....Now we are the dads. Makes it all kind of worthwhile, doesn't it?

-------------

Posted By: The Lake
Date Posted: August-23-2005 at 7:24pm
OK, I had to reply to this. My dad made our first ski boat, about 14', powered by a 60 horse "Gale" engine, sometime around 1958, I was 2. But, I learned to ski behind an aluminum fishing boat with a 9.5 Johnson.
Dad, in his 80's now, still has the cabin at the Lake of the Ozarks that he and his dad built (the boat needed a home). It's still my favorite place in the world, although now extremely busy. The second boat dad got was a 16' 1970 Chrysler trihull, powered by an 85 horse Johnson. The boat is still running strong, and talk about a small wake for skiing. Each of my three boys learned to ski behind this boat.
Time with my dad and grandfather at "The Lake" are priceless stored memories, working on docks, boats, and adding on to the cabin. I can't think of a better way to grow up.
I bought our classic Nautique, in part, to help remember an era, but mostly, to spend time with my own boys. (An unintended side effect--we are learning engine mechanics!)
Thanks Dad,
Chuck

-------------
Walk on Water
www.coldwater.me

http://correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=775&sort=&pagenum=3&yrstart=1966&yrend=1970 - 69 Ski Nautique

Date Posted: June-18-2006 at 3:44pm
Father's day. I thought I would revive this thread.

I remember the late sixties. We used to have a 3ft wide plywood "saucer" painted with sand thrown in so you wouldn't slip. My dad used to travel back and forth on the water behind the house doing all kinds of crazy things. He'd put a bar stool on the disk and stand on top.    Everyone in the neighborhood thought he was nuts. I thought it was about the coolest thing I'd ever seen. Still have the pictures of my dad's 58 Trojan inboard hanging on the wall in my office.

For those who still have Dads, I hope you have the time to spend with them today. For those of you who are Dads, enjoy your day. BKH

-------------
Livin' the Dream

Posted By: stang72
Date Posted: June-18-2006 at 4:03pm
I thought about this thread today! Glad you pulled it up! Wifes dad and mine are both comming over today! Both are boaters!

Brian...happy first Father's day to you!

-------------
stang

Face plants are not that funny when it's you face!

http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/images/3720/photo1.jpg" rel="nofollow - The Super Air

Posted By: jbear
Date Posted: June-18-2006 at 9:03pm
Thanks Brian for pulling this thread back up, alto it is hard to read with tears streaming down my face.

My Dad taught us to ski behind an old "twin" engine outboard. Boy did we think that was cool. Boat belonged to a friend of his, he could never afford one. So he loved me and my brother's Nautiques. Never had to worry where my son was or what he wanted to do for the weekends. He always had the motorhome loaded and the boat hooked up every Friday the entire time he grew up. Great way to share with your kids. Skiing and Correct Crafts!

Thanks again Brian. What a GREAT site!. Hope you had a happy father's day!. Your first of many more you'll enjoy!

john

-------------
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...

Posted By: M3Fan
Date Posted: June-18-2006 at 9:48pm
My dad was never a skier and my family was never really into watersports, but I spent quite a few hours on the boat with dad fishing. Even though we didn't really ski, he knew about inboards and especially Ski Nautiques. As we trolled by boats on lifts and docks while fishing for hours and hours, he would always point out the inboards to me and tell me how cool they were and why they were cool. I have hundreds of hours of fishing memories with dad that I will always remember, and without his constant pointing out of inboards, I can gaurantee I would not be as in to them as I am today, and probably would never own one. He gave me 1000.00 towards my first Nautique and drove his own car 3200 miles to pick it up in AZ. He even came with my wife and I to pick up and test drive our current 2000 SN. We're certainly happy that he's still with us, hopefully for many years to come.

Date Posted: June-19-2006 at 9:18am
Brian,

Funny you brought this thread back up to the top. I was thinking of doing the same thing. Didn't get to the lake yesterday, but did spend the day at the beach with my family and then a good amount of time playing catch with my son in the back yard and then a family game of touch football, plus a few thoughts about "the old man". Good times and good memories, old and new.

-------------

Posted By: Hollywood
Date Posted: June-20-2006 at 12:20pm
My story is along the lines of M3Fan. We vacationed on lakes for many years and finally bought a '78 pontoon boat all original about 12 years ago. As we pulled it out of the sellers lawn cats fled from under the cover. All the kids learned to ski behind this boat on the Snoopy trainers. The old 50 hp Merc wasn't cutting it for much other than combo skiing, so he went ahead and spent 3X the cost of the boat on a new 70 hp engine.

I was always drawn to inboards (especially the old loud Ski Nautiques) although we never had one or knew anyone with one. Dad bought some PWCs and those were cool for a few years but eventually sold them during the divorce and he gave us kids the money to put toward our current '88 SN. I still don't think he's even seen the boat in the 5 years we've had it but maybe this year we'll get him out on it.

Date Posted: June-21-2006 at 5:27pm
Well, it's nice to hear another member that didn't have inboards all his life. Seems like almost everyone grew up with them all over. We drooled at inboards for years, but there was no way my family would have had the money to even think about getting one for one second. We had the crappiest boat of ALL TIME, which only ran for a few years before becoming basically a fixture in our driveway and for years. My test drive for my first boat was the first time in my adult life I EVER skied behind or drove an inboard!

Date Posted: June-22-2006 at 9:02am
Originally posted by M3Fan M3Fan wrote:

My test drive for my first boat was the first time in my adult life I EVER skied behind or drove an inboard!

Me too. I didn't even drive it, the PO did as well as my brother. When asked if I wanted to drive I replied "I'll drive it when it's mine".

Posted By: 81nautique
Date Posted: June-22-2006 at 9:11am
This has morphed into a little different conversation but my first boat with my dad was a 10' aluminum john boat with a 3hp Johnson. We tooled around everypond in Rhode Island and fished just about every night after dad got home from work. Very fond memories and although Dad lives 1100 miles away now he is retired and still fishes every day.

As for my first inboard, I owned a 16' starcraft with a 90hp mercury and got an invite to go skiing with a friend. We showed and the boat we were to ski behind was a 82 Stars & Stripes MC and was for sale. We skiied the course, I took my first trip over a ski jump. I bought the boat the very next day. The rest is history and I'll never own anything but an inboard again.

-------------
You can’t change the wind but you can adjust your sails

Posted By: JoeinNY
Date Posted: June-22-2006 at 9:53am
My poor fair skinned father sat in our hand me down 14ft mfg with 1967 40hp evinrude (no electric start) and pulled and pulled and pulled us 5 kids every afternoon and all weekend, until of course something inevitably broke (typically when we talked my mother into driving it when dad was at work).
     Then it would be hours of struggling with cross threaded flywheel nuts or lower units with two water lines, a shifting linkage, and a drive shaft that all had to be aligned at once. He melted in the sun wearing a hat long sleeve shirt and pants, that motor frustrated the hell out of him, but that boat got more use than the next two most active boats on the lake combined. I had almost as much fun watching him fix it as riding behind it and picked up enough to be able to take over motor duty by the time I was 14 or so.
      My dad finally retired this year, he now has a 14 foot aluminum boat with a early 60's 40hp Johnson. I bought him an electric start for it on ebay last christmas and he no longer works on it. maybe now he will do some of that fishing that he never got around to doing when we were kids and more interested in skiing. Although he has already mentioned teaching the grandkids to ski behind his outboard since it has a smaller a wake.
      Anyway I also just recently aquired my first inboard, I won't say I will never have anything else, but I will always have at least one inboard.
-Joe

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1477 - 1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cO5MkcBXBBs - Holeshot Video

Date Posted: August-19-2007 at 2:58am
Just thought I'd revive this thread once again. Today would have been my Dad's 72nd birthday. He's been gone almost three years now.

Today I drove almost 400 miles with my wife and daughter to check out a lake I might vacation at next summer with the family. I think my Dad would have enjoyed the ride. Somehow I know he was there with us.

To those of you who still have your fathers - be good to them. Maybe go out of your way to get Dad out on the boat before summer is over. He won't be with you forever.

BKH

-------------
Livin' the Dream

Date Posted: August-19-2007 at 3:36am
Brian,

Good stuff, thanks for bringing this back. My Dad is definitely slowing down now, but we did get a boat ride in together at the first of the summer. You are so right, treasuring family is an investment that will always bring returns.

Obviously what you remember of your father you will pass on to your daughter. Then you are really "Livin' the Dream." If I can just give my kids a glimpse of my father I will die a happy man. (Not that I'm counting on that any time soon.)

Chuck

-------------
Walk on Water
www.coldwater.me

http://correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=775&sort=&pagenum=3&yrstart=1966&yrend=1970 - 69 Ski Nautique

Date Posted: August-19-2007 at 3:53am
BKH: Thanks for bringing this back up to make us all pause and think of our dads. Cool of you to honor your Dad's memory this way.

john

-------------
"Loud pipes save lives"

Posted By: Root
Date Posted: August-19-2007 at 12:30pm
BKH Thanks for that suggestion,   My dad is retired now and was a musician and a mechanic.
This fathersday that just passed my brother and I took him to go see a live band (tower of power) at the casino and he hasn't stoped talkin about it yet.

He keeps hearing me and the 2boys talk about the fun we have everyweekend, and how great these old CC's are. He's asked a few times about how that moter runs and pulls out the hole.

So today im puttin the top on and the 540 back on and going pick him up to go for a sunday cruise.   Im thinking he will talk about that for a while too.

-------------
RootRacing

Posted By: eric lavine
Date Posted: August-19-2007 at 1:06pm
in some strange way im thankful for my father, all my memories of him are taking my 2 brothers and I to his favorite beer joints, I was maybe 6 years old but remember this vividly and he died when I was 8, but those memories stick in your head and made me promise i would never do this to my children and it made me a better person and some say my kids are spoiled and im just giving them the things and memories i never had, My children will have the memories of camping, boating, Disney world and someday the same things you guys talk about

-------------
"the things you own will start to own you"

Date Posted: August-19-2007 at 1:16pm
I just re-read this thread and it's killin' me. Just the thought of being in Brian's situation puts a big lump in my throat.

-------------
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

Posted By: quinner
Date Posted: August-19-2007 at 1:25pm
My Grandfather (Quintin Quincy Quinn) worked for and purchased a lake lot from CL&P (Connecticut Light & Power) on Lake Candlewood back in the late 40's or early 50's. Grandpa, my Dad and his brothers built a small cabin on that lot as well as a boat house down by the water. Dad's first job out of school brought him from Ct. to Chicago where I was born and raised. Growing up each summer pop's would load us all in the Country Squire wagon for the trip out East, the first week he would vacation with us then back to work for 3 weeks then the last week with us before loading up the wagon for the return trip. The summers out east are my greatest childhood memories, whenever I get back to the Lake the smell brings all those memories back. When Grandpa passed my Dad ended up with the cabin, I could never imagine that Lake house belonging to anyone else but a Quinn.

The stories of my summers are endless but my favorite thing was always the skiing, of my 2 bro's and 1 sis I was the one who caught the bug the hardest, Dad taught me to ski at 5 behind our Yellow Rinken Tri-Hull with a 70hp Chrysler OB and my passion just grew from there. Next door was my Dad's buddy Bill Murray, the real life version of Popeye, WWII vet who served in the Navy and fought in Japan, together they spent endless hours teaching and pulling kid's skiing, we even created our own ski shows. Never a Nautique in the mix however when I was looking for my first boat a competition inboard was the only choice. Bought my 77' and could not wait to drag it back east for everyone to see, since that boat 4 of my CC's have made the trek to Candlewood.

My folks now spend all their summers at the Lake, Bill is still next door, Candlewood has been and always will be my favorite Lake destination.

For all those great skiing and boating memories then, now and to come, Thanks Dad!!

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1143" rel="nofollow - Mi Bowt

Posted By: racintj
Date Posted: August-19-2007 at 5:03pm
Great stories guys, makes me thankful for the father I still have.

eric, great job on spending time with your kids. There is no such thing as QUALITY time, only QUANTITY. My goal each day is to be a better Father than I was the day before, and with God's help I have done pretty well. I'm sure you are too.

-------------
Every day above ground is a Good day.

Lakeland, FL

Date Posted: August-22-2007 at 12:18pm
Thanks for the stories.

Root, did you get your Dad out on the boat?

BKH

-------------
Livin' the Dream

Posted By: tullfooter
Date Posted: August-22-2007 at 1:40pm
Hi Guys, good thread

I too, lost my dad about three years ago.
He moved the family to a lake when I was 5 years old. He was not very fond of being IN the water, but he loved being ON the water. We grew up with a 1972 I/O Evinrude and my dad did anything to make sure the boat was running. He named the boat "AJOB". That was so when people would call, my mom or my brothers could tell the person, "he's out on a job". My dad could never tell a lie.
10 years ago, when I was thinking of moving he said one thing. Move on to a lake, whatever it takes. They are always building golf courses to live on, but they're not building too many new lakes. He was a smart man.
I wish I could take my dad cruising in the BFN and I know my brother would love to do the same in his MC, but we know he is with us (and there are times when I hope he's watching my brothers and not me).
My love for boating, skiing, and being on the water stems directly from my dads early decisions and his love for the water. And this is being passed on to my boys by me and my wife.
There is no place I'd rather be than in the boat or behind the boat. And there will always be a seat for you Dad.
Steve

-------------
Play hard, life's not a trial run.
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

Posted By: boat dr
Date Posted: August-22-2007 at 2:34pm
Steve,some very profound words there.At 53 one day I awoke to find I had become my DAD.The morals ,values and scruples that I rebelled so hard against are the same ones I hold onto now.
I too lost my Dad 2 yrs.ago in July,the hills just got too tall to climb anymore.We fought for the first 25 and hunted and loved the last 25,these were the best years of my life.It takes what it takes to get us where we are at today......
Ain't God great and Life good...boat dr.   

-------------
boat dr

/diaries/details.asp?ID=4631 - 1949 Dart
/diaries/details.asp?ID=1533 - 1964 American Skier

Posted By: cboland
Date Posted: August-22-2007 at 2:50pm
What a great thread. I lost my dad in a car accident when I was 7 years old and while my memories of him are limited, those that I do hold are almost all of time spent on the water.

Of the few items I have to remember him by, I do have probably his favorite. He was a lover of the old wooden boats. He bought this boat a few years before his death and was never able to finish restoring it. After many years of work, I have finally brought it to its full glory in honor of him. Even though it's not a Correct Craft, I couldn't ask for a better way to remember him.

Date Posted: August-22-2007 at 3:20pm
cboland, welcome to site.Dad would be proud of you and the resto.
I was told by an old sailor,If You Cut A Tree And Build A Boat From It ,THE TREE NEVER DIES.And from what I see and hear your Dad is still ALIVE TOO......Great story/Cool Boat
              boat dr

-------------
boat dr

Posted By: Root
Date Posted: August-22-2007 at 8:52pm
BKH     he already had plans with my mom, but we are going this sunday for shure.
He has called several times and been by my work letting me know how excited he is about going in the boat.

Been so busy doing my own things,   didnt realize how good it makes him feel with me asking him to come do stuff with the me and the boys. Im gona try to keep him involed with our stuff,     "cause you never know".

Thanks for the wakeup call....

-------------
RootRacing

Posted By: cboland
Date Posted: August-23-2007 at 3:21pm
Boat Dr, thanks for the kind words. Your quote could not be more true. When somebody sank the boat a few days after I completed the FIRST restoration, I needed somebody/something to pick me up and continue on. No doubt dad was there for the next 3 years helping me along.

Posted By: JCole
Date Posted: September-14-2007 at 12:13am
      I love reading the stories of the times with our dads on the water with the CC's. I had to add my story and picture. My dad bought this CC in 1971 and he and my mom learned to ski and then he taught my brother and I. What memories we have on Lake Tillery in NC and at White Lake, NC skiing and making sweet memories. My children and my brother's daughter have all learned to ski behind this boat. My children also wakeboard behind this boat. My niece loves to kneeboard and tube behind this boat. My dad would take this boat to the store near our lake house to fill up with gas, and he would always draw a crowd. We would be waiting to go to the water, but my dad had to talk about his boat first. My dad and mom gave us great memories, that now I hope my brother and I are passing down to our families. I know my dad is smiling from heaven, and glad we are still using his Mustang. Please keep these memories coming. I love to read them. Happy boating!!

-------------
Jane

Date Posted: September-14-2007 at 12:23am
Very nice Jane. Thanks for sharing your story and your picture. BKH

-------------
Livin' the Dream

Date Posted: September-14-2007 at 12:26am
Jane,

That story made my night. We don't always get it right as parents, we carry a bit of brokeness around with us, but we can, regardless of our present circumstances help build "the story" in the lives of others.

No doubt you are continuing a wonderful tradition.

(Thanks again Brian for starting this thread.)

Chuck

-------------
Walk on Water
www.coldwater.me

Date Posted: September-14-2007 at 12:53am
Jane: Thanks for the picture to go with the story I have already enjoyed. One of the high points of the Reunion was meeting you and your family. Bet your Dad was smiling down, watching you walk around meeting people that he would have loved to talk to. Wasn't it great going there and having people who had never met you know who you were? Neat place and neat people we have here.

john

-------------
"Loud pipes save lives"

Posted By: 87BFN owner
Date Posted: September-14-2007 at 1:02am
First off I would like to give my best wishes to all the members here that no longer have there dad's with them. The stories you guys have shared have all been great ones.

I am lucky enough to still have my dad with me and I am still learning from him which it a blessing in itself. My favorite memory of skiing with him was;

My cousin and I were about 5 years old and My dad had a 78 SN. On the week ends that we went skiing we would always get to ride the trick skiis with him. He would put me up on his shoulders and my cousin would ride on the skiis in front of my dad. Of course he would always spread the skiis apart a bit so we could put our feet in the water while skiing so we could pretend like we knew how to barefoot. Those were great times, my cousin and I still talk about doing this from time to time.
Now through the help of the guys here at this site My borther and I now know how to foot. I can not wait until next year when my dad will be able to foot with us. As over the past two years he hurt both of his shoulders and it would just hurt to much to foot or ski. So I promised I would work out with him over the winter and we will both get in better shape together, so we can all foot next summer. That will be a dream come true, to be able to foot next to my dad.

-------------
http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s95/buckethead1236/Barefooter6-10-09002.jpg" rel="nofollow - MY 87BFN

Posted By: tullfooter
Date Posted: September-14-2007 at 1:30am
That would be way cool. Can't wait for the pics.
I don't know if my two sons get the same rush as I do, but this year, I footed side by side with both of them in a six man barefoot line. I was very proud of them, especially the fact that they ran at 42mph.
Hopefully we are creating stories that they will be posting years from now, when they own their classic 2007 Air Nautiques.
Lefty

-------------
Play hard, life's not a trial run.
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

Date Posted: September-14-2007 at 1:39am
Lefty; When your guys are posting "years from now" I hope their link is to their Dad's BFN that they are still using.

Got pics?

john

-------------
"Loud pipes save lives"

Date Posted: September-14-2007 at 1:39am
Thanks again guys for your stories and compliments. Jbear, you are right. There are great people on here who have great stories and friendships to talk about. The reunion was great. When Mr. Meloon started his business years ago, I am sure he never dreamed of having a "Family" like this who would be so devoted to his product. He is the one who started all these memories for the rest of us. We are all truly blessed. Keep these stories coming. They are all such an inspiration.

-------------
Jane

Date Posted: September-14-2007 at 1:45am
Nice to see you posting Jane...not just lurking...not many ladies on here. I think only BlondieGurl posts reguarly. You met her..MM's girlfriend.

john

-------------
"Loud pipes save lives"

Date Posted: September-14-2007 at 1:50am
I don't remember meeting her. I remember you, Mrs. Jbear, Eddie, and MM, but I don't remember getting to meet Blondiegirl. I have seen her on the site, but I don't think I got the opportunity to meet her. Hopefully at the next reunion I will get the pleasure. We are going to try and go out this weekend and enjoy the water here in NC. Maybe since I am learning how to do this photobucket thing, I can post more pictures later.

-------------
Jane

Date Posted: September-14-2007 at 1:56am
You know we love pictures here.

Have a fun..safe time!

john

-------------
"Loud pipes save lives"

Posted By: 79nautique
Date Posted: September-14-2007 at 2:06am
now that's a newbie with class way to start off?

yea kiss me ass the rest of you sob's,

they know how to make an interduction, better than brownies standup last year reguardless. sh*t where's the spell check

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=756&sort=&pagenum=1&yrstart=1979&yrend=1979 - 79 nautique

Date Posted: September-15-2007 at 11:13pm
I started this thread in recognition of the Fathers. But for me, my Mom played a big part in my life on the water. Today marks 10 years since she passed away.

Mom was the one who took me to swimming lessons beginning before I was a year old. She carted me to practice and meets, and waterpolo games for 16 years.

I was lucky enough to grow up in a home on the water. The only home my parents ever owned. However, it was a small house, and by the time the 4th kid came along when I was 13, things were getting pretty crowded. My parents talked about moving away to a bigger house. It was my Mom who vetoed the move. Mom said if we moved away from the water, we'd never get back. She was right.

My brother, that "4th kid," still lives in their home. Every now and then he'll meet someone who will tell him about my parents skiing escapades which happened long before he was born.

Thanks Mom. I miss you.

BKH

-------------
Livin' the Dream

Posted By: reidp
Date Posted: September-15-2007 at 11:44pm
Brian, I'm sorry your mom's no longer here with you and I'm sure you miss her, esp with her nautical influence on you. Ironically today is my mom's 76th birthday. Laurie and I called and wished her a happy one this morning.

And Guys, I met Jane Cole before any of you did, and she's cool. So there! (Mature, huh?)
Jane, like John said it's good to see and hear you join in. I'm sure you won't be as fanatical as many of us here, but we like to know you're out there. I want to come see you guys on Tillery before too long also. Tell your brother and mom and all that came to visit us, that I said hi, and I hope the ski pole is working OK.      

-------------
ReidP
/diaries/details.asp?ID=231&yrstart=1971&yrend=1975 - 1973 Mustang

Date Posted: September-16-2007 at 1:49am
Brian,

I am so fortunate to still have both my parents, just celebrated thier 48th wedding anniversery on Wednesday, Wow! Now thier primary focus is how to get thier Grankid's to mess with thier parents world, kind of like the time My Grandpa, Quintin Quincy Quinn, came to visit us Grandkid's at our Lake house, right as he and G'ma were leaving he opened his trunk and handed out 7 drums, one for each Grandkid, you can only imagine what (7) 5-10yr old's did with those drums in a small cabin, sweet revenge!

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1143" rel="nofollow - Mi Bowt

Posted By: OBXSki
Date Posted: September-16-2007 at 3:34am
Thanks for all the thoughtful stories. They are great.

Shortly before my granddad died (auto accident, not bad health), he went skiing with us at the age of about 70 (behind my '76SN). He had a tough time getting up, but did for a short while. He was plenty strong, but just did not have the "feel / coordination" for it anymore. My dad, 68, got up on two a couple of weeks ago (behind the '94SN) and dropped one. Stayed up, but got tired pretty quickly. It was a tangible sign that he was getting older. It seems like only yesterday that he taught me to slalom on a boat paddle and this little 18" ski called a Ski Skat (the spray was incredible), but it was 35 years ago.

The water has provided my family with our best memories. Now my kids are skiing and wakeboarding. I still have the Ski Skat and can't wait to teach them all about it. Hopefully, my dad will see it with me.

OBXski
'76SN
'94SN

Date Posted: September-17-2007 at 9:46pm
All these stories are great. We just spent the weekend at the lake with my family, my brother and his daughter and my MOM. All of you guys are right, moms and dads are the greatest. My mom was and still is always there when we are enjoying the water. She use to slalom (she and I use to do it together), but unfortunately due to her arthritis, she had to give it up, but she has not given up watching us play. She still swims with us, and we enjoy that too. It was great hearing from Reid. Hope your mom had a wonderful birthday. The ski pole is working great. Jeff and I were just commenting over the weekend how we have enjoyed that pole. Thanks again for your help and generosity. Jeff is going to do some work on the Mustang this winter, and he may be in contact with you sometime this winter to get your advice on some things. You are the expert. I have heard that definitely on this forum. We enjoyed meeting JBear, Mrs. JBear, Eddie, and MaddMarxx in Orlando. We missed you and Laurie. Maybe next year. We definitely want you to come visit us sometime at Tillery. Thanks again guys for all these memories. Keep them coming. They all make my day.

-------------
Jane

Date Posted: September-18-2007 at 12:17pm
I told my story in the second post of this thread so I won't retell it. After my Dad died and we were cleaning up the house I found this photo from about 1963ish, around the year he taught me to ski. Not too many pictures of us boating together, but at least I have this one of us hangin' out on the dock. It now resides on my dresser, a constant reminder of the great years on the lake.

-------------

Posted By: jon4pres
Date Posted: September-18-2007 at 6:42pm
I have been reading this thread since it was started. It makes me teary eyed every time.

We never had a boat when I was a kid. We had a lot of other toys but no boat. When I went to college my dad gave me some money to buy a house, which I did. Then when I graduated I sold the house and with some of the left over money I bought my 82 2001. Dad went with me to look at it and pick it up, the whole time thinking I was probably making a mistake. Now he absolutly loves the boat. It was definetly not the best financial decision but getting to ski beside my parents is priceless. We have some great memories in the short time I have owned the Nautique.

One of the best things that happened was replacing the stingers. While this was a horrible job, I will always cherish the time that dad was there to help me. Nothing brings a family together like a project.

Here are a couple of pictures from this summer. One of dad and me and the other of Mom and me. You can not even believe how excited she was to get to ski with me.

-------------
http://correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1801&yrstart=1976&yrend=1980 - 82 2001

jon4pres@gmail.com
Fort Scott Kansas

Posted By: 8122pbrainard
Date Posted: September-19-2007 at 7:35am
Originally posted by 75 Tique 75 Tique wrote:

I told my story in the second post of this thread so I won't retell it. After my Dad died and we were cleaning up the house I found this photo from about 1963ish, around the year he taught me to ski. Not too many pictures of us boating together, but at least I have this one of us hangin' out on the dock. It now resides on my dresser, a constant reminder of the great years on the lake.

You have got to love the era of white socks and black loafers!!

-------------
/diaries/details.asp?ID=1622" rel="nofollow -

54 Atom

/diaries/details.asp?ID=2179" rel="nofollow - 77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: September-19-2007 at 11:20am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

You have got to love the era of white socks and black loafers!!

And the Ken Spurling signature shorts

-------------

Date Posted: September-19-2007 at 12:15pm
You know guy's I think the PLBC boy's are trying to re launch that particular look! All this Dad talk is great, I particularly enjoy skiing & footin and being challenged by some of these punk kids like Hollywood, Johnny, PLBC, etal as I am old enough to be their Dad, Bring It Boy's!!

-------------

Date Posted: September-19-2007 at 12:26pm
CQ, Sunday is going to be a blast. We've got 10 so far with another half dozen "maybes". Chances are you won't be the oldest skier, still a huge chunk of 'Nuts that might show up. Bring that blue boat with the speakers that does 39!

-------------

Date Posted: September-19-2007 at 12:41pm
Originally posted by quinner quinner wrote:

You know guy's I think the PLBC boy's are trying to re launch that particular look! All this Dad talk is great, I particularly enjoy skiing & footin and being challenged by some of these punk kids like Hollywood, Johnny, PLBC, etal as I am old enough to be their Dad, Bring It Boy's!!

CQ, you won't be the oldest. Hope you can make it out and have some fun.

PS. HW is half my age but the math doesn't work, I have to ski twice as hard to be half as good.

-------------

Date Posted: September-20-2007 at 1:31am
Alan: Skied with Hollywood...know exactly what you mean!

john

-------------
"Loud pipes save lives"

Posted By: Riley
Date Posted: September-20-2007 at 11:37am
I don't have many memories of my father because he died when I was 6. However, he is certainly resonsible for my life long love of inboard boats.

We always vacationed in Maine. We had a small outboard, but he had a friend who bought a new Century every couple of years that owned a place on the lake where we rented. The last summer he was alive, his friend came over to visit us with his son in their new 1963 Resorter 17. I remember very well sitting in his son's lap driving their Resorter that day.

My brothers and I always wanted an inboard after that, and in 1966 or 1967 we saw a new Barracuda at the Boston boat show. That became our dream boat.

In 1970, our outboard was on its last legs. I was at the marina trying to crank it over by hand. When I had gotten to the marina, I had spotted a CC Barracuda in the yard. The marina owner told me it was for sale and I told him that my brothers would be interested in it. After a half hour of trying to start our outboard, this party boat came in to the gas dock and the marina owner told me it was the father of the owner of the Barracuda. The guy in the party boat turned out to be my father's friend, and the owner of the Barracuda was his son, whose lap I sat on when I drove the Century.

His son brought the Barracuda over to our rental cottage that day, and my brothers bought it. We had that boat for 10 years. Funny how things work out.

Posted By: tjlake
Date Posted: September-20-2007 at 2:48pm
Don't really know how to put in to words, but I will share with you the fact that I have lived on a lake for the past 15 years for only one reason, because of the fact that it was only about a mile from my dad's house on the lake! We lost him in January and it has been some kind of adjustment. I was feeling kind of down today and trying to find something to change my attitude, like always, I came to this site. Wonder who was pointing me to this thread?? I have come to the conclusion that my definition of success is to log on a few years from now and read a post about how my two boys enjoyed their time on the lake with their dad...now that would be a success!

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1882&sort=&pagenum=1&yrstart=1985&yrend=1985 - 85 ski nautique

Date Posted: September-20-2007 at 3:08pm
Originally posted by tjlake tjlake wrote:

Wonder who was pointing me to this thread??

I don't believe in coincidiences; especially with this forum--too much good has come from it.

Nice thoughts TJ; I like your definition of success. And, it's never to late (sometimes in spite of what has been) to use this moment to make a memory.

Chuck

-------------
Walk on Water
www.coldwater.me

Date Posted: September-20-2007 at 3:45pm
Originally posted by The Lake The Lake wrote:

[QUOTE=tjlake] Wonder who was pointing me to this thread??

I don't believe in coincidiences; especially with this forum--too much good has come from it.

Chuck

For those out there that still have your parents, a word to follow.......
Take plenty of pics,ask questions about their parents and write it down,enjoy every day with them as if it were their last.ENJOY THEM WHILE THEY ARE HERE....

Chuck I agree with that statement completely;
Karen and I call them " GOD MOMENTS"
Kinda a second chance to look and see whom really is driving,and if I think it is me!!!!!
I need to move over to the observer seat......boat dr

-------------
boat dr

Date Posted: September-20-2007 at 5:31pm
Well, Dad's 80 today, just tried calling to say hello but he's not home from WORK yet. He could probably still work me under the table any day, always could.

Mom's trying to find some of our old fishing pics, I'll post when they turn up and tell a few fish stories.

-------------

Date Posted: September-21-2007 at 12:19am
I was just sitting at my computer again reading all these wonderful memories of parents, and the love they have given us for boating. I like the story tjlake posted about being close by his dad, and how much better you feel when you can go to this forum and read and post more stories. It is comforting and gives us a peace in knowing that there is someone in charge greater than us, and thank God we can all find comfort in sharing memories together. Boat dr was right "God Moments" are great, and keep these stories going. My family shared a great weekend last week on the water. My daughter (who is almost 20 and still loves being with us on the water) was just asking me what we had planned for the weekend. She would head to the lake with us if we were going. I hope also my daughter and son will write someday how much they enjoyed growing up on the water. That would truly be success, like someone has already quoted. Thanks again for sharing all your memories.

-------------
Jane

Date Posted: September-21-2007 at 2:04am
JCole, thanx for the time to share with us about you and yours. If you think time with your kids on the water is great , just wait...
Let me tell you story of absolute joy;
3 Weekends ago 10 year old granddaughter graduated from the tube to the kneeboard,just lieing down and being pulled,great time with her and her Dad, My Son.
Last weekend she learned to sit up . steer and do some cutting up.The old man now has 2 generations of water rats.
I still Ski pretty well to boot, Ain't God Great???????????boat dr

-------------
boat dr

Date Posted: September-21-2007 at 2:25am
Chuck; You know what I think about coincidiences...don't belive in them anymore.

dr; I always thought I had to be driving the bus...when I moved over I really started to enjoy the ride.

john

-------------
"Loud pipes save lives"

Date Posted: September-21-2007 at 2:31am
jbear, Youth is wasted on the young.......
       Wisdom is wasted on the old........

Would I change anything in my life,,,,,,,

"NO FRIGGIN" WAY"

Would not have enjoyed the ride;
       I Had To Steer!!!!!!!!

Thanx for sharing John....boat dr

-------------
boat dr

Date Posted: September-21-2007 at 9:43pm

Me and my niece skiing together.

My son and niece sking together.

My brother and his daughter skiing together

My husband on his toy.

My daughter and my niece skiing together.

My skiing bums around 7:30pm. We made a full day of it.

My daughter's boyfriend (whom we taught to ski and wakeboard this summer) skiing with my niece.

We thought we had jbear with us for a second.

Another old boat on the lake. The man said it was a 1955 with the Johnson motor being a 1956.

A great day was had by all.

-------------
Jane

Date Posted: September-22-2007 at 5:14am
Thanks Jane! Loved the 7:30pm picture...smiles on everyone. Thanks for the plug...looked like my boat...right hair color but not long enough. Would be proud to be in a pic with your family.

john

-------------
"Loud pipes save lives"

Date Posted: September-24-2007 at 4:04pm
Been away on vacation. Thanks for the pictures and stories.

Jon, particularly liked the photos of you on the water with your parents. Looks like your parents are about my age. doh.

cboland, that boat is an unbelievable legacy to a father you lost far too soon.

Larry, dad had quite the stylin' threads.

BKH

-------------
Livin' the Dream

Posted By: jon4pres
Date Posted: September-24-2007 at 7:29pm
Brian they probaly are. My Dad is 52 and I am 25.

You have a lucky daughter to get to grow up on the boat. She will have a lifetime of memories on the boat.

-------------
http://correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1801&yrstart=1976&yrend=1980 - 82 2001

jon4pres@gmail.com
Fort Scott Kansas

Posted By: Morfoot
Date Posted: October-11-2007 at 11:20am
Hey Guy's. Just wanted to say thanks for sharing your stories about "dad". All these wonderful stories about your"old Man" prompted me to hit my up for a trip to the lake last Monday.He is 70 and respectfully declined saying " Naw..... but thanks." My 11 year quickly chimed in and said " Ohh , please Grandpa I want you to go and come see me kneeboard." Well that is all it took. he even pulled the boat down to lake with his truck. He didn't bring his swimmies but the look on his face was said it all when he saw his granddaughters kneeboarding. He was so glad he chose to go.... We all had a wonderful day!!!! Probably wouldn't have done it without a "shove" from you guy's. THANKS!!

Foot

-------------
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"

Date Posted: October-11-2007 at 9:41pm
Hey that's great Morfoot. I'l bet your Dad is glad you "forced" him to come along. Maybe next time you won't have to twist his arm. BKH

-------------
Livin' the Dream

Date Posted: June-15-2008 at 5:22pm
I try and revive this thread on Father's Day.

For those who may be new, if you have a photo or story to add about boating with your Dad, that would great.

For those of you who still have Father's be good to him - he won't be here forever.

For those of you who are Father's enjoy your day - they'll be grown and gone before you know it.

BKH

-------------
Livin' the Dream

Date Posted: June-15-2008 at 8:08pm
BKH: Thanks for bringing this back up....read it thru again.

Happy Fathers Day to you and all the Fathers on here!

john

-------------
"Loud pipes save lives"

Date Posted: June-15-2008 at 9:44pm
I just golfed 18 holes with my old man today at a very high end golf course (83.00 to walk). The place was booked solid but rain was predicted all day, so we went there just to see if we could sneak in as a deuce with a cancellation- sure enough, we got in. It was raining cats and dogs, but as soon as we got to the first tee, the rain stopped and we had perfect weather for the whole round! If that's not fate, I don't know what is. Followed up the round with a few drinks and apps at my favorite bar. What an OUTSTANDING first Father's day for me, and 29th Father's day for my old man.

-------------
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

Date Posted: June-16-2008 at 12:34am
I am glad this got revived again. Had a great day on the water at my nephew's house with my inlaws and my husband and kids. A great fathers day enjoyed by all. The kids skiied and tubed and we adults watched. My father-in-law had a great day watching. Again I miss my dad who gave me my love of boating and being on the water. Happy Father's Day to all you dads out there. Keep making wonderful memories with your kids.

-------------
Jane

Posted By: RainDog
Date Posted: June-16-2008 at 1:08am
I lost my Pops a few years back, but my wife and kids made this weekend very special.

For the last 6-8 weeks or so, I've been sequestered in the garage working on the Classic, evenings and weekends. The fact that my wife was really cool and handled EVERYTHING else was present #1.

I get the boat re-assembled on packed up on Thursday night. We had plans to go to Green Lake this weekend, only to find out the lake is closed due to high water and floating debris. Southern Wisconsin has had a lot of heavy, record rain and flooding lately.

Woke up on Saturday, it was beautiful - 80 and sunny. I had to find a lake open SOMEWHERE. Geneva Lake was open so we packed up and headed out. I just had to run her after all the hours I'd spent wrenching.

When we got there, there was 20-25 mph winds and busy launches. Whitecaps everywhere. We head out, keep the bow high, about 20 mph and proceed to check out the lake. Beautiful place and gorgeous old lake homes.

However, this was all lost on my daughters. With the wind and big chop, the poor little critters were SOAKED! But they knew how badly I wanted to be in the boat, they really did their best and hung in there.

After driving around, trying to find a place for lunch, we decided we all had enough. We pull out and find a great little bar and grill for a late lunch. I thank them all for being patient and apologize for the not-so-great time. I buy the kids all sundaes to make up for it.

It wasn't the brightest decision to go out yesterday, but everyone hung in there for me.

To cap it off, the kids asked if we can take the boat out today - and they really meant it!

It sure is great to be a dad, especially when you have a wonderful (and understanding) wife and kids.

PS - We ran into a guy with a San Juan. I'll post the pics in another thread.

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1868&sort=&pagenum=1 - 62 Classic

http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5242&sort=&pagenum=1 - 2002 Super Air

Posted By: shawnmc
Date Posted: June-16-2008 at 1:56am

This is my dads 83. He got the boat when I was around 8(25 years ago). The boat was one of the show boats at Calloway Gardens(supposedly per dealer he bought it from). We kept it 10 years and sold it to our cousin who took it to Charlotte, N.C. She kept it for 5 years and sold it. We tracked the boat down back in Tennessee and he bought it last year.

WE all own Correct Crafts with dad now. These boats have continued to bring our families together and have created more memories than I can count.

Posted By: Morfoot
Date Posted: June-16-2008 at 5:21am
Only good boating memories with my Dad is when I was a kid back in the 70's. I remember a fishing trip to Ontario to some "secret" lake only accessable from some old logging road we had to drive down for about an hour to get two. I was probably 10 or so but we were in Dad's old aluminum Grumman canoe with pontoons on the side to prevent from capsizing,( only boat I had when I was a kid) that was powered by a small 2 hp evenrude motor. You know the kind where you started it by having to wrap a rope with a wooden handle round the clutch, pull it to get it started. It never would on the first try so we had to wait for Dad to wind that rope to try it again.
My brother and I were in the canoe with my Dad and my Grandfather was in another canoe with an ol' high school buddy who lived up there. We were in the middle of the lake fishing for Walleye and Northern when "the storm of the century" came down on us. We headed for the closest shore that Dad could see while my brother and I crouched down in that little canoe. WE started scrambling for our poncho's and after downing them we started bailing out water with our camping cups as the boat was starting to fill up with rain water. The lake was white capping and Dad had that little motor tached out trying reach shore. We finally reached a small island after what seemed like forever. We quickly unloaded our gear, and turned the canoe over. My Dad tied it up to a tree and the three of us huddled under that canoe for about an hour until the storm passed. What a boating experience that was.. One that I never forget... Thanks Dad!!

-------------
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"

Date Posted: June-17-2008 at 2:45pm
BKH,

Thanks for bringing this thread back to the top. Had a great weekend with my dad. WE both worked midnights together on Friday night so we had the rest of the week end off. I wanted to goto the lake to ski but everyone was doing something. So being mad about waisting a perfectly good day, the phone rings and out of the blue it's dad on the other end offering to go and drive for me. As if that were not enough, once we got to the lake and I skied a few times, we stopped to swim. Then my dad says, he what do you have as far as skies go in the boat. Both combo set of skies the boots were to small. Starting to get mad again, I said hey I have the tricks. He said throw them here, and my 51 year old proceeded to show me how it was done. He has not skied in the last 8 years. It really was a great afternoon. Then of course the whole family got together on Father's day to have dinner with him.

-------------
http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s95/buckethead1236/Barefooter6-10-09002.jpg" rel="nofollow - MY 87BFN

Date Posted: June-17-2008 at 3:01pm
Very nice stories guys. Sounds like some great Father's days with your Dads and with your kids. BKH

-------------
Livin' the Dream

Date Posted: August-04-2008 at 6:22am
I ahve now had my dad out skiing 3 times this year. he still doesn't ski everytime he comes out to the lake. But it's a start. Couple of pics of him messing around on the tricks. He's getting back into slow, wife was pretty slow gettig out the camera as well. All she really caught was him goofing off at the end of his ride. Tricks or not I am just happy to see him out behind the boat again.

-------------

Date Posted: August-04-2008 at 1:38pm
James,

Get your Dad on those skis as often as possible. It will keep him young. BKH

-------------
Livin' the Dream

Date Posted: August-04-2008 at 2:18pm
BKH it's true he has been willing to do more each time does ski. Just rusty and a bit out of skiing shape. He does have a shoulder issue, that flairs up from time to time. But he has some much fun while he's skiing. He saw me foot for the first time yesterday in person. he was driving, I am not sure who had more fun.

-------------

Date Posted: June-21-2009 at 2:54pm
New Year's day 1971. I was seven years old. My father had broken his back in the fall of 69. He had enough pain just walking, much less water skiing in 48 degree water on a cold rainy day. Nonetheless, a promise had been made, and my dad meant to keep it. The Eskimo Runs were a ski run on New Year's Day, in the San Francisco Bay, sponsored by the Golden Gate Ski Club. No wet suits allowed. My Dad participated many years and had promised that as soon as I was old enough, he would take me. I missed my seated dock start that day, plunged into the cold water and had to sit there while the boat circled back for a deep water start. My Dad sat on the dock laughing. As I was on the water, he skied past me. He had made a standing dock start and was dry as a bone. He skied back to the dock, landed at the dock without getting wet above his knees, and was there to pull me from the water when I got back.

We participated again in 1972. I still have the certificates and the jacket patches.

If you still have a father, spend some time with him today. If you are a father enjoy some time with your kids.

Have a great day.

BKH

-------------
Livin' the Dream

Posted By: OverMyHead
Date Posted: June-21-2009 at 4:40pm
Hi everyone, I lost my dad five years ago, He never saw my correct craft, although I did trailer it through the cemetary shortly aftr it was completed. There is not much I would not give to be able to take him for one more ride today. Thanks for the stories. Dave.

-------------
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

Date Posted: June-22-2009 at 12:45am
Trailered the boat through the cemetary. I'm sure that got some looks Dave.

BKH

-------------
Livin' the Dream

Posted By: Roym
Date Posted: June-22-2009 at 1:40am
This post has bought back many memories for me as my parents both loved boating. They always had a boat from the late 1940's until around 1980. As I remember they had a Chris Craft skiff with a small deckhouse that we went on vacation on for two weeks every summer usually up the Hudson River or somewhere out towards the end of Long Island.

We then upgraded to a Elco Cruisette that was about 36'. I remember this boat more than the first as I was 6 or 7 years old by then. We continued the two week boating vacations every year.

Several years later they sold the Elco and were boatless, but constantly talked of getting a live aboard boat.

When I was about 15 years old my parents bought their 50 foot Correct Craft. This boat needed some work due to dry rot and deck leaks. He also removed the two gas engines and replaced them with diesels. They lived on the Correct Craft for 14 years before my father started having health issues. They then got rid of the boat and moved to Florida.

I spent most of my summers as a kid playing in boat yards in NY while my parents worked on the boats getting ready for the yearly vacation.

I hope everyone enjoyed their Fathers Day and remember the good times in your life.

Posted By: nautiless
Date Posted: June-22-2009 at 9:08am
Thanks for lifting this thread. I have stumbled upon it some time back and have enjoyed all the memories that have surfaced. I was telling my wife about this thread yesterday and we thought, considering we are still restoring our '82, we would make an engraved plaque to put on the dash:

"Lovingly restored in 2009 by Donovan Dalgleish for his son, Liam Dalgleish"

My own Dad is still alive and well, although in his later years, a pillar of wisdom in our family. We are truly blessed to have him.

-------------
1982 SN 2001 RIP (Resto in Progress)

http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=4400 - Don's Diary

Posted By: Riley
Date Posted: June-22-2009 at 10:50am
Roym, I got a friend that has an Elco Cruisette. Really cool boat.

-------------

Posted By: kapla
Date Posted: June-22-2009 at 3:15pm
Brian
nice old post here , and nice to bring it up around these dates!!! I have both of my parents, and I guess sometimes you get pissed on them, but If they are not around I would sure miss them. As for my boating history, my father got me into the river when I was 5-6 years old..Actually It was my grandfather who had a day cruiser and an outboard boat, and went out with all the family. Then when I was 10-12 he bought his first boat also an outboard with 175hp jonsohn. With it i learned to ski, pairs, then mono, and on 90s I got my firts wakeboard, an conelly razorblade. by 1994 i got my license, I he let me go alone with the boat. Installed then a homemade skylon. Etc...then On 1997 I wanted to upgrade the ride to a midengine boat. so I sold the boat and got pedestrian, until I got my 1992 on 2000. Since then Id invited him to my boat on counted times...
Sad... Now I know who is going to be at the maiden trip after engine/stringer job!!!!

Forgot to menction he also owned a sailboat with a gasoline internal engine (got it beat up as a gift from my grandpa) so for long years he spend it restoring it to its original glory...but unfortunaly once it was almost finished, he was one day out with friends and anchored, spend the day and when starting the engine to go back to the marine, starter got hooked then heated up short circuit and fire cought the boat..they all had to jump to the water. My father had some minor burn trying extiguish the fire. They got rescued by other boats and the costguard, who got to extiguish the fire.. Boat was totalled by the insurance. Since then he never own a boat.

-------------
<a href="">1992 ski nautique

Date Posted: June-22-2009 at 8:43pm
That's sad to hear that a boat with that much love put into went that way. Glad to hear that they all made it back from it though.

Had the pleasure of getting both my parents out skiing with me two weeks ago. I was happy to see them both ski. Dad mentioned to me he's thinking footing is in his future for this summer.

-------------

Posted By: kapla
Date Posted: June-22-2009 at 8:50pm
We all loved that sailboat I remember going to the marina after school to clean it, sand wood, etc...it was a 37 footer

-------------
<a href="">1992 ski nautique

Date Posted: June-22-2009 at 11:14pm
Good stories guys. Seems more often that not, the seeds were planted when we were young, and more times than not it was a grandfather, Dad, or Uncle that planted them. BKH

-------------
Livin' the Dream

Date Posted: June-23-2009 at 2:28am
http://s16.photobucket.com/albums/b24/lhine763/?action=view¤t=oldboats_0001.flv">

-------------

Date Posted: June-23-2009 at 3:49am
Neat video Larry. We don't have a lot of family movies, and unfortunately, I don't do much better with my own child. Pictures are good, but the movies really capture it. BKH

-------------
Livin' the Dream

Print Page | Close Window