Print Page | Close Window

Chris Craft Action Plan-NEW PICS!!!!!

Printed From: CorrectCraftFan.com
Category: General Correct Craft Discussion
Forum Name: Off Topic
Forum Discription: Anything non-Correct Craft
URL: http://www.CorrectCraftFan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=15724
Printed Date: May-21-2024 at 11:24pm

Topic: Chris Craft Action Plan-NEW PICS!!!!!
Posted By: storm34
Subject: Chris Craft Action Plan-NEW PICS!!!!!
Date Posted: November-02-2009 at 2:51pm
I was talking with my dad about our 1955 Chris Craft Continental's plan of attack to restore and what all needed to be done. I thought I'd post and see if anyone had an opinion or could point us in the right direction.

The boat is complete and all original with a "Hercules 6." The motor runs but needs rebuilt and we're looking to go original. If anyone knows someone who would be interested and qualified I'd love some recommendations. (Pete I sent you a message about this a few min ago)

As far as the hull and deck, we were toying with sending it to have it done. I think I read Don Dannenburg does this for a pretty penny? Any thoughts?

These are obviously 2 major issues and the rest would be within our abilities to finnish.

Here are links to pics of her current state ( cant post pics for some reason)

http://photos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-sf2p/v199/97/96/72900869/n72900869_30481993_706.jpg - Bow

http://photos-b.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-sf2p/v199/97/96/72900869/n72900869_30481996_3144.jpg - Model K

http://photos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-sf2p/v199/97/96/72900869/n72900869_30481997_3972.jpg - port side

http://photos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-sf2p/v199/97/96/72900869/n72900869_30482000_1596.jpg - transom

Thanks in advance!

Replies:
Posted By: 8122pbrainard
Date Posted: November-02-2009 at 6:54pm
Chris,
I did email you back with Ted Cartners email address for the engine. His phone incase you'd prefer to call is 847 395 8902 He does the engine rebuilding in his home shop and is probably the best person around on the Chris Craft engines. BTW, it's not a Chrysler. You are correct that Chris did start with the Hercules blocks. (Gray Marine used Continentals)

Don Dannenburg would get LOTS of pretty pennies for a bottom job!! Since you're in the midwest, I do know a couple of boat restorers that would give you a top job without the extreme cost. (still, sit down when they quote!!) I've got phone #'s at home and will get back to you.

The hull sides and deck you know will need to go down to bare wood and then bleached. Are the fastenings tight - from the looks of the pictures, you may have some loose ones because the bungs look "proud" (high) and have been hit with the sander. A loose screw will push the bungs out. Hard to tell from the pictures but how tight are the seams?

-------------
/diaries/details.asp?ID=1622" rel="nofollow -

54 Atom

/diaries/details.asp?ID=2179" rel="nofollow - 77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: November-02-2009 at 7:49pm
Pete, not sure why I put Chrysler...Was trying to post before running off to class...my bad!

I'd like to see what the costs would be just to get a ball park. This is something he wants to enjoy in retirement and it's getting closer everyday but we've been really busy the last couple years. I'd love to tackle a wood boat but it's a pretty big and complex boat to start with.

Have you had any experience with LaPointe's in http://www.classicboat.com/eng.htm - MN ?

-------------

Date Posted: November-02-2009 at 7:56pm
Chris,
My first choice would be Bottoms Up in Crandon Wi. Phone is 715 478 3186 The guys name is Steve Bunda. I've know him going back 25 years to the old MACBA (Midwest and Antique Classic Boating Association) and know he'd do a great job. He has the equipment to flip the hull which I feel is really required to do a bottom job.

My second choice would be Harrison Woodworking at 262 862 9423 and his name is Dean Morris. He's in Wilmot Wi. Closer to you but his only problem is he doesn't have a means of flipping the hull. He's done them on his back but I would question the method. I don't even like painting a bottom that way!!! If you had a means of flipping and then getting it to him, it would be a good choice. You'll need to pull the engine anyway for Ted.

Give both of them a call and see what they have to say.

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: November-02-2009 at 8:00pm
I've seen a couple of LaPointes boats and they aren't bad. However, I feel he's going to be up there in cost almost to Dannenburgs level!!

So, what can you tell me about the general condition of the hull?

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Posted By: SNobsessed
Date Posted: November-02-2009 at 9:26pm
Chris - There is a woodie boat restoration shop up at Lake Okoboji. Can't attest to their abilities other than they had several vintage boat in-process when I went by. I can help you contact them if you are interested.

-------------
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin

Posted By: Gary S
Date Posted: November-02-2009 at 10:13pm
Nice project Chris, but please tell me that those pictures are from last winter

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1711&sort=&pagenum=1&yrstart=1966&yrend=1970" rel="nofollow - 69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport

Date Posted: November-03-2009 at 1:34am
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Yes those are from last winter! We have gotten our first snow this year tho! Hopefully it continues to hold off for another couple weeks.

-------------

Date Posted: November-03-2009 at 1:40am
Thanks Chris, If you have that info that would be awesome...I'll look and see if I can track it down as well. As of now I'd like to make a list of possible shops to do the job and see what they have to say about the boat.

Pete- the boat is in pretty good condition, I've crawled around inside and haven't seen any braces broken. There are a few spots with dry rot on the deck but limited to small areas. I'll snap some more pictures tomorrow and see if I can post them in the afternoon.

After a year we've finally got the time and money to get the ball rolling, now we've just got to keep it that way

-------------

Date Posted: November-03-2009 at 10:41am
Found it in Yellow pages.

Blue Water Restoration 712-338-2557

-------------

Ben Franklin

Posted By: FINS
Date Posted: November-04-2009 at 12:11pm
To get a really good idea of what goes into a full restoration, check out the Macatawa Bay Boats website. They have a really great section of their site that documents the full restoration. It is one thing to read Dan's book, but to see the process done is priceless. It is alot of work to do one correctly. Having a shop do a full "5200" type bottom is not for the faint of heart. The common ballpark figures that seem to apply to most of the shops country wide range from $750-$1000 a foot. 20' boat = $20,000. The bottom of the boat is THE most important part of the restoration. Research it and plan it yourself, or bite the bullet, but make sure that part is right. Kind of like trying to build a house on an old crumbling foundation. Good luck and keep us posted.

http://www.mbbw.com/index.htm - Macatawa Bay Boats

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=2262&sort=&pagenum=3&yrstart=1925&yrend=1960" rel="nofollow - 59 ATOM

Lake Tapps, Wa.

Posted By: beirish
Date Posted: November-04-2009 at 1:03pm
check out www.markmcisaacinc.com as he does fantastic work. he's been restoring CC's for many years and has won several awards.

-------------
2001 Ski Nautique 196 (GT40)

Posted By: beirish
Date Posted: November-04-2009 at 1:19pm
Originally posted by beirish beirish wrote:

check out www.markmcisaacinc.com as he does fantastic work. he's been restoring CC's for many years and has won several awards.

In the interest of full disclosure, I will mention that this is one of my brothers, and he really does excellent work. He partnered for many years with Don Danenberg until he opened up his own shop in Manistee. They remain good friends. Check him out.

-------------
2001 Ski Nautique 196 (GT40)

Posted By: 75 stang
Date Posted: November-19-2009 at 12:55pm
If you dig a couple pages back in this forum, you will find a pretty detailed log of what i have done to our ol Chris, give you an Idea of what you are in for. I have talked to Danenburg and Jack McCarthy at the woodedn boat shop in Cuinncinatti often during the project, every time i get ready to ship it off to them they remind we are looking at 10k ish for the bottom using my supplies or about $60k just to do it and send it back. Guess that is why I keep plugging along.

We finished the bottom last winter and are just getting ready to dig in and do the sides after thanksgiving. Hopefully this winter will see the bottom side finished and flipped back over... one week till winter kickoff!

Just FYI, I am probably $3-4k into it right now for all new mahagany, screws, 5200 and CPES. Another grand in the motor rebuild and a lot of hours.

I'll dig out the old thread on it and post you up a link to see what your in for. If you click on the boats link in the sig I believe that will take you to the pics themselves on photobucket

http://correctcraftfan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=12380&PN=1&title=68-chris-craft

Sean

-------------
Take your work seriously, not yourself.
http://s133.photobucket.com/albums/q70/Bigblockbandit/Lake%20and%20boats/ - Boat Pics

Posted By: jbear
Date Posted: November-20-2009 at 2:29am
Originally posted by storm34 storm34 wrote:

Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Yes those are from last winter! We have gotten our first snow this year tho! Hopefully it continues to hold off for another couple weeks.

I was wondering what all the white stuff was.

What a great thing to be starting on with your Dad. Many fun hours ahead....but keep those pictures coming.

john

-------------
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...

Date Posted: February-04-2011 at 6:53pm
Well I thought I would update our thread here since there is finally some news regarding our 1955 Chris Craft Continental. After talking with Pete about finding a reputable restoration shop in the area we delivered the 55 to Steve Bunda of http://www.antiquewoodboatrestoration.com/" rel="nofollow - Bottoms Up Boat Restorations .

This required getting a trailer that would make the 8 hour journey to the far northern parts of Wisconsin. I ended up buying this old woody from Paul Morris at http://www.cedartreeinc.com/" rel="nofollow - Cedar Tree Boat Co. here in Des Moines.

Despite it looking really rough, I was able to drag the Sea Skiff 30 miles to our farm where we pulled it off the trailer with a tractor. It now rests there for the winter and will possibly become a new piece of furniture or bar in the future.

Once the Skiff was at the farm I went through the trailer (bearings, hubs, bunks, wiring and new tires). It was sandblasted and a fresh coat of high gloss back paint gave it some new life. We did have to make a few modifications to fit the hull of the Continental. The front cross members were cut off and 2 new "v" braces were added to allow clearance. The trailer itself is a little long but fit the boat relatively well for not making too many adjustments.

Last weekend we finally got some free time (and good weather) to head north and meet Steve and his wife Laurie.

Their shop is simply amazing and any guys dream. Two of my buddies made the trip along with my 2 year old Golden Retriever, Katie. Steve's two Golden Retrievers played outside with Katie as we spent the better part of Sunday touring his facilities and soaking up as much information as possible. I'm sure he won't mind me sharing http://www.antiquewoodboatrestoration.com" rel="nofollow - his website .

The pictures do not do justice as he has 2 more buildings on his property. One is mostly storage and full of boats of all vintages and a wall full of parts, blocks and misc boating stuff. The other is his storage facility for new wood waiting to be put on boats.

Upon arrival, we backed our entire rig into the shop, lifted the boat and pulled the Durango and trailer back outside. We inspected the hull and compared it to a 23' Continental which happened to be sitting next to our rig.

This was a very cool experience to see our hull in project condition and another opened up nearing completion. (like seeing a rotten Correct Craft and one being restrung) Steve was very impressed with the condition of the boat, mostly due to the bottom not being caulked by PO's. Hopefully we won't have too many braces broken and we didn't seem to find too much rot.

Steve will be doing a new 5200 bottom as well as replacing some deck boards. That is the plan for now, but I am guessing our list for him will continue to grow. I'm leaning towards him refastening the sides but we'll cross that bridge once the time comes.

Sorry for the novel, more to come soon for those interested.

-------------

Date Posted: February-16-2011 at 7:06pm
Well I finally got some pictures to post from our trip up North to Crandon,WI and Steve Bunda's shop. Hope you guys enjoy them!

-------------

Posted By: Riley
Date Posted: February-16-2011 at 7:20pm
Wow, what an amazing shop! Keep posting pics. What a great project!

-------------

Posted By: Fl Inboards
Date Posted: February-16-2011 at 8:32pm
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

Wow, what an amazing shop! Keep posting pics. What a great project!

Thats not a shop!!
Thats Nirvana!!LOL!!!!

-------------
Hobby Boats can be expensive when the hobbyist is limited on their own skill and expertise.

1993 Shamrock "fat" 20. 2008 Nautique 196 5.0

Posted By: DrCC
Date Posted: February-16-2011 at 8:39pm
I'll say!   Looks like the "Clean Zone"

Nuclear Science Lab and Boat Restorations.

The Continentals and Capri's were always my favorites.

Posted By: DrCC
Date Posted: February-16-2011 at 8:55pm
Here's a pic of the '56 Capri I did in 1997.

Posted By: Brady
Date Posted: February-16-2011 at 9:34pm
Chris
If you find yourself in the Crandon area this summer check ahead to when Footstock is happening as that is just north of Crandon and quite entertaining! My son and I went last summer to watch Mark ( Laurel Lake Skier) compete, it was a blast.

-------------
Charlie
Three Lakes, Wisconsin
69 Barracuda

Date Posted: October-25-2011 at 6:50pm
Dad and I took a trip up to see Steve in Crandon a few weekends ago and check on the progress of the Continental. As we expected, everything looks great as you'll see in the pictures below. He has a few new projects in the shop for the winter and had just wrapped up a few more boats this summer.

The Continental was in better shape than he expected and even made the comment that it was one of the best conditions he'd seen from a structure standpoint. It was really nice to hear this from Steve as he reassured us we didn't get taken in the initial purchase.

Steve replaced the Keel and a few frames, otherwise everything was painted and tightened. I was pleased to hear this news along with the fact that it's square!

We're working on collecting some misc hardware pieces and getting everything together to chrome. We're also working on getting the motor work lined up and having new interior sewn.

Feels great to see some progress made on this one after it set in our building waiting for two years.

Here's some pictures from our visit

Steve and Laurie giving Dad the tour

-------------

Date Posted: October-25-2011 at 7:44pm
Looks good. What a place!

Posted By: 75 stang
Date Posted: October-25-2011 at 9:07pm
Looks good, reminds me a lot of where we were 2 winters ago on my wife's boat.

-------------
Take your work seriously, not yourself.
http://s133.photobucket.com/albums/q70/Bigblockbandit/Lake%20and%20boats/ - Boat Pics

Date Posted: October-25-2011 at 9:37pm
Chris,
Have you gotten the engine guy lined up yet? I have the very best for the Hercules/Chris and in fact, does go up to Steve's shop in Crandon to pick up engines. Ted Cartner??

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: October-27-2011 at 7:14pm
Thanks for the compliments guys! Steve's operation is inspiring to say the least. And that's only building number 2 of 3! Another is full of boats, the other for material storage.

Pete, good catching up with you the other evening. I got an email from Steve shortly after saying that Ted will be up to retrieve the motor along with one for another boat.

Any opinions on going to a dual carb set up?

Pro's/Con's?

-------------

Date Posted: October-28-2011 at 9:48am
Chris,
Ask Ted about the carbs. He'll know off the top of his head the differences. I seem to think Cris did some other things when they went to the duals. Cam and maybe even a lighter flywheel?

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Posted By: eric lavine
Date Posted: October-28-2011 at 9:57am
I got a period correct Paragonian sitting there waiting

-------------
"the things you own will start to own you"

Posted By: 81nautique
Date Posted: October-28-2011 at 11:34am
Nice shop, thanks for the pictures Chris.

I do find it interesting how even the professionals don't agree on all the techniques for rebuilding these old boats. If a newby were to post a picture on Danenbergs site with painted glue surfaces on frame members he would rip him a new one.

Do you know what he used for paint? Looks to have no gloss and I like the color better than what I used on the Hurricane.

-------------
You can’t change the wind but you can adjust your sails

Date Posted: October-28-2011 at 1:49pm
Pete, I'll give him a call this weekend and pick his brain. I remember reading about the upgraded cam and flywheel as well, just can't seem to find the thread anymore.

Eric, I may take you up on that offer after we discover the condition of ours.

Alan, I'll call and ask Steve about the paint. I saw the containers but cant come up with the name.

-------------

Date Posted: November-26-2013 at 2:29pm
We're now in the front of Steve's line for the winter so here's a few pics of his progress lately. I haven't called to wish him a happy Thanksgiving but he left a nice note via email I thought I'd share with everyone as it sounds like we're all looking for winter entertainment. The plan is for the boat to be done sometime this coming spring so we're extremely excited to see more progress in the next few months.

Note from Steve-
"Hi Chris, The Chris Craft is coming along nicely, just completed wooding the boat , new transom, decks and 4 planks on the starboard and port side, all book matched. Original planks on sides were cleaned, stacked, bedded and refastened with silicon bronze fasteners. Old original side planks planks will lighten up with finish sanding and light wood bleaching prior to applying the filler stain.
The next step is to send the boat to the finishing room and prep for stain and varnish. I will also lay out all the hardware to determine what is missing, I know we still need the rest of the windshield. I will also remove instruments for restore and remove the ceiling boards for refinish. Soon after will drop in engine and address interior pieces.

Have a great Thanksgiving !   Steve & Laurie , Johnson and Walker"

We also placed dibs on this trailer, thanks to Zach, which is currently at N3. Now I have an excuse to drive out to Indy and spend a few days with them in the spring. Our plan is to use it under the continent for at least a few years. We'll have to modify a bow stop I got from Marty Mabe to match the height of the Continental's rub rail but it should be a pretty decent fit for the time being.

The long range plan is to put this trailer under the 01 Sea Blue ski, painted to match, and use the tandem under the Continental. They're both in too good of shape to make any serious changes/investments at the moment so we're talking the next 3-5 years.

I really wanted to get a new BoatMate in a similar fashion as Reid did for his Mustangs (pictured below) but that's a pretty serious investment so we'll wait and determine how many road trips we take before we justify the cost.

-------------

Date Posted: November-26-2013 at 2:43pm
Chris, the boat is looking great.

Those Boatmates look great, too.

Posted By: phatsat67
Date Posted: November-26-2013 at 2:52pm
That shop is insane. That boat looks so great in raw form like that.

-------------

Posted By: dwouncmd
Date Posted: November-26-2013 at 5:55pm
Wow.

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=6535&sort=&pagenum=2" rel="nofollow - 89 SN
<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=6567&sort=&pagenum=1" rel="nofollow">7

Posted By: Smithfamily
Date Posted: November-26-2013 at 7:26pm
Originally posted by dwouncmd dwouncmd wrote:

Wow.

Ditto!

-------------
Js

Posted By: C-Bass
Date Posted: November-26-2013 at 9:01pm
Originally posted by phatsat67 phatsat67 wrote:

That shop is insane. That boat looks so great in raw form like that.

Agreed.

He has foliage in there for crying out loud!

-------------
Craig
67 SN
73 SN
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=6103" rel="nofollow - 99 Sport
85SN

Posted By: NCH20SKIER
Date Posted: November-27-2013 at 11:32pm
I took my '56 Chris Craft to Boatmate and they built a custom trailer for me. Fantastic service and a quality product. I dealt with Owen Shelton directly and the entire process was without issue. Highly recommend the guys at Boatmate for the quality product and service.

-------------
'05 206 Limited
'88 BFN

Date Posted: September-30-2015 at 5:35pm
A lot has happened on this project which means I'm way behind on this thread. We picked up the finished product last week and couldn't be happier with the boat! I'll back track a bit to get everyone caught up on this project.

Last summer, we realized some windshield parts were missing along with a few other hardware pieces. Replacing the windshield would cost $7,500 without chrome and glass. Fortunately, we found another Continental which was somewhat complete, reasonably priced and fairly close to Zach in Indy. He grabbed the boat for us and we towed it home with a used 90 SN trailer purchased form N3.

Huge thanks to Zach and the guys at N3 for storing the boat which stunk up their shop for a few weeks. We found the culprit later....dead raccoon under the mess of leaves and old clothes. Not sure what we're going to do with the "Donor Boat" in the long run. It's really decayed, has been bastardized a bit and is missing some critical pieces (even prior to us robbing some parts).

Once the hardware list was complete and shipped out to the chrome plater Steve started to make some great progress on the boat.

Zoe and I visited the shop early in the year and were very pleased with his progress. Of course, we had to strop and visit Watercraft Sales. This building was full of some really neat Correct Craft's including a 71 Promo, 73 Promo, Olive Oil Barracuda and the twin to Hollywood & Quinner's Martini-que.

The ball really started rolling this spring when Steve got all his winter work out the door. Most of the interior was rebuilt and everything recovered using Gold and White.

After a few months, Steve was able to water test the boat and gave us a good report. Everything with the exception of the horn checked out and performed flawlessly. Again, another huge thanks to Zach for shipping Steve a prop.

Now onto pictures of the finished product from our visit last week.

We repurposed the 01's former trailer and will need to make some serious modifications before any long distance trips are made. I had a replica bow stop made from Zoe's 88 trailer, replaced lights, bearings and seals. Still need to adjust the bunks and the entire boat needs to move forward 6-8 inches which will require some elaborate modifications. That'll make for a nice winter project.

Overall, Dad is extremely happy and the boat is absolutely stunning. Steve and his wife Laurie do amazing work, have a world class shop and care deeply about the wood boat community. A huge thanks to Steve, Laurie and can't leave out their four legged children, Walker and Johnson. Personally, I wish we could have been more involved in the rebuild process but life and work get in the way. Just seeing the process has given me a new respect for those who can tackle these types of projects. They're a labor of love and this boat will certainly be loved on for many years to come!

-------------

Date Posted: September-30-2015 at 5:55pm
Looks great Chris! I had my first ride in an old Chris a few weeks ago and could not believe how smooth those old flathead six's run.

Posted By: C-Bass
Date Posted: September-30-2015 at 5:55pm
Wow. Turned out amazing. Always amazes me the craftsmanship that goes into these woody restorations.

-------------
Craig
67 SN
73 SN
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=6103" rel="nofollow - 99 Sport
85SN

Date Posted: September-30-2015 at 6:13pm
Chris,
It sure looks fantastic! Yes, Steve does great work. I know your dad will and yourself will enjoy it for many years.

Bruce,
Yup, those Hercules have plenty of iron in them and lots in the flywheel too.

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: September-30-2015 at 6:41pm
Beautiful!

-------------
Js

Date Posted: September-30-2015 at 6:49pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Chris,
Have you gotten the engine guy lined up yet? I have the very best for the Hercules/Chris and in fact, does go up to Steve's shop in Crandon to pick up engines. Ted Cartner??

Chris,
Did Ted end up doing the engine? The last time I talked to him, he was headed up to Crandon with an engine on his trailer.

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: September-30-2015 at 7:25pm

Chris,
Did Ted end up doing the engine?

Yep...and I owe you a huge Thank You for leading us to Ted and Steve! Ted did an amazing job as well! Never got to meet Ted in person, but his work is amazing. Quinner actually picked up the finished motor from Ted and stored it for a while.   Thanks again, CQ!

-------------

Posted By: illiniball2000
Date Posted: September-30-2015 at 7:32pm
Looks awesome!

-------------
Beer is my friend
87 Dominique
Had 67 Starflite

Posted By: JPASS
Date Posted: September-30-2015 at 8:26pm
Absolutely gorgeous.

-------------
'92 Correctcraft Ski Nautique

Posted By: peter1234
Date Posted: September-30-2015 at 9:12pm
there isnt a person that loves boats that isnt both envious and happy for you. It is the dream project for all lovers of boats. I personally see it and dream of someday having the time and space to take on such an endeavour.

-------------
former skylark owner now a formula but I cant let this place go

Posted By: jbear
Date Posted: September-30-2015 at 10:55pm
oh my gosh....

what else can you say?

john

-------------
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...

Posted By: Frankenotter
Date Posted: September-30-2015 at 11:35pm
Amazing Chris. Just wow.

If you need someone to keep an eye on the promo while you're breaking her in, just say the word.

-------------
1999 Ski Nautique 196

Posted By: IAughtNaut
Date Posted: October-01-2015 at 3:23am
wow

its about time one of you Mars boys got a boat worth looking at. the rest of them are real eye-sores.

-------------
bring the ruckus
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5347" rel="nofollow - 2000 Pro Air

Date Posted: October-01-2015 at 7:19am
Originally posted by IAughtNaut IAughtNaut wrote:

wow

its about time one of you Mars boys got a boat worth looking at. the rest of them are real eye-sores.

Moves to Australia and obtains a "baddass" attitude?? I happen to think the blue and white one is pretty.

-------------
Js

Posted By: Hollywood
Date Posted: October-01-2015 at 1:05pm
well you happen to be wrong

Posted By: Morfoot
Date Posted: October-01-2015 at 1:20pm
Originally posted by Smithfamily Smithfamily wrote:

wow

Moves to Australia and obtains a "baddass" attitude??

-------------
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"

Date Posted: October-01-2015 at 5:17pm
Thanks gents. Dad's had a blast at the few CCF events he attended this year so one would expect he'll be attending future reunions with this boat in tow. Zoe, Maddox and I will fulfill the Correct Craft side.

about time one of you Mars boys got a boat worth looking at

Finally!

the rest of them are real eye-sores.

Especially those two orphan boats!   

-------------

Posted By: skutsch
Date Posted: October-01-2015 at 5:41pm
Great looking Boat guys! Congrats!

-------------
Our http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=4669" rel="nofollow - 98 Sport Nautique
My Dad's 63 Ski N

Posted By: 81nautique
Date Posted: October-01-2015 at 6:47pm
Looks Great Chris.   Do you know if Steve wet sanded and buffed the final coat of varnish or if that it untouched?   Brand of Varnish?   thx

Posted By: M3Fan
Date Posted: October-01-2015 at 7:07pm
I don't know how I missed this entire thread, but I did. To think that for the past few years this boat has been in the process of restoration not too far from our up north house, incredible! Looks great.

-------------
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

Date Posted: October-01-2015 at 7:57pm
[QUOTE=storm34] Thanks gents. Dad's had a blast at the few CCF events he attended this year so one would expect he'll be attending future reunions with this boat in tow. Zoe, Maddox and I will fulfill the Correct Craft side.

Still time to make the trek to NC and the Badin Lake event. No need to end the season now

-------------
'05 206 Limited
'88 BFN

Date Posted: October-01-2015 at 7:59pm
You could come and check out the what could be your son's Chris Craft so he and Grandpa could cruise in the Chris's

-------------
'05 206 Limited
'88 BFN

Posted By: boat doctor
Date Posted: October-01-2015 at 10:14pm
Wood is Cool..Better when it is a CorrectCraft

-------------
boatdr

Date Posted: October-01-2015 at 10:17pm

-------------
boatdr

Posted By: IAughtNaut
Date Posted: October-01-2015 at 10:58pm

Especially those two orphan boats!   

GD freeloaders

-------------
bring the ruckus
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5347" rel="nofollow - 2000 Pro Air

Date Posted: October-01-2015 at 11:29pm
Chris - I am looking forward to seeing that beauty someday. Do you guys ever make it up to clear lake or Okoboji?    2yrs until the next GL is a long time to wait!

PS - who is this Boat Dr guy?

-------------

Ben Franklin

Posted By: bwinn
Date Posted: October-02-2015 at 12:03am
Originally posted by boat doctor boat doctor wrote:

Wood is Cool..Better when it is a CorrectCraft

What's up with the fender log? Spare parts?

Date Posted: October-02-2015 at 12:19am
Long story about the flotsum and damage done to the '49........Look at the Port transom, notice very little paint ? This damage was repaired and she adds another tale to her long CorrecyCraft history.........Been gone awhile...........But still have all our CC's, even added couple more..................After 12 years on this site , I am once again a newbie...........

-------------
boatdr

Date Posted: October-02-2015 at 7:41am
Originally posted by boat doctor boat doctor wrote:

Long story about the flotsum and damage done to the '49........Look at the Port transom, notice very little paint ? This damage was repaired and she adds another tale to her long CorrecyCraft history.........Been gone awhile...........But still have all our CC's, even added couple more..................After 12 years on this site , I am once again a newbie...........

And windshield missing?? Do tell?

-------------
Js

Posted By: juniorwoody
Date Posted: October-02-2015 at 12:23pm
Say it isn't so, a Billy sighting?

-------------
The value of money spent on new adventure far exceeds the value of money saved for the future

Date Posted: October-02-2015 at 12:31pm
Originally posted by juniorwoody juniorwoody wrote:

Yup but, Billy, you could have done it more appropriately by starting another thread. We'll talk later.

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: October-02-2015 at 5:22pm
Chris,
I just had the pleasure of seeing Steve after many years. He drove over from Crandon with his trailer to pick up a Chris. It's my neighbors that has been needing a 5200 bottom for probably 20 years. I took the boat across the lake and met him at the landing. This Chris was ear marked for me to flip it to do the bottom but with my shop full from all the stuff from my Northfield house, it would be probably a year before I could even get to it. Steve and I go way back to the days of MACBA (midwest antique & classic boat association) so we had plenty to talk about.

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: October-03-2015 at 12:45pm

Originally posted by juniorwoody juniorwoody wrote:

Yup but, Billy, you could have done it more appropriately by starting another thread. We'll talk later.
                                                       Sorry if I offend anyone on this site , I was informed by Mr. Brainard, by posting on this thread,. my boat pics and my comments were deemed inappropriate.................Again sorry for not being PC...........Not to worry tho...........I will sign off now and not be back,   

-------------
boatdr

Date Posted: October-05-2015 at 11:30am
Jeepers Billy, you gonna let Pete run you off...?

Posted By: 75 Tique
Date Posted: October-05-2015 at 11:37am

-------------

Posted By: Hollywood
Date Posted: October-05-2015 at 11:39am
Newbie forum status but same old passive aggressive behavior.

Posted By: DVskier
Date Posted: October-05-2015 at 4:27pm
Remember him and 79 calling Tim Benjamn a "hobbyist" because he wasn't in the boat repair business? Gave Jody Seal a hard time too.

Posted By: DVskier
Date Posted: October-05-2015 at 4:28pm
Remember him and 79 calling Tim Benjamin a "hobbyist" because he wasn't in the boat repair business? Gave Jody Seal a hard time too.

Posted By: Gary S
Date Posted: October-05-2015 at 4:39pm
Way to go Mars family, nice ride!

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1711&sort=&pagenum=1&yrstart=1966&yrend=1970" rel="nofollow - 69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport

Posted By: 67nautique312
Date Posted: October-15-2015 at 1:59pm
Damn Chris......that's B E Autiful!! WOW

Paul,

-------------
1963 Classic (handed down to my daughter)
67 Riviera
68 barracuda
1971 Ski Nautique Promo
86 Silver Nautique
1995 Ski Nautique

Date Posted: April-18-2017 at 4:27pm
Thought I would share some pictures of the new cover and bimini top we had made for the Continental this spring. As some of you may know, dad had a bout with skin cancer two years ago and has been very apprehensive to lots of sun exposure since. This kept him from wanting to use his wood boat during the hot summer months. We both decided it was worth the investment and deviation from original so he could enjoy his toy as intended.

I hated the idea of drilling into the deck or adding an off the shelf bimini so we brought in a professional for the job. Dad's buddy Ike Moeckley of Moeckley Fabrications in Huxley Iowa has been building custom covers, bimini tops and store front awnings for the last 30 years and was definitely the right guy for the job.

We found one picture online of original looking bimini tops and Ike helped us with an era specific canvas material . I can't remember the material name but it's very similar to what's used in convertible tops from the 50's & 60's.

Internet Photo:

As you can imagine, I was VERY nervous dropping the boat off with only one picture for reference but felt much better when we talked through a plan with Ike. Period correct hardware was the only thing we struggled to find so we ended up going with modern deck hardware. I highly doubt we will ever enter this boat into a show so we decided to take function over form.

I couldn't be more happy with the completed product. Not to worry, I have spare windshield hardware if we ever decide to ditch the snaps. There's a total of eight screws in the deck which is a fair compromise for dad being able to enjoy his boat.

As you can see, Ike is a true craftsman and took great pride in working on this boat. He made custom socks for the bimini top feet, wraps around the legs where the windshield could come in contact

The cover is Aqualon material and fits like a glove. The goal was to give him the ability to two with the cover when he takes the RV on road trips. It's super tight, padded in all the right places and trailers very well. I'll have to get some better pictures this weekend but even the stitching follows the lines of the boat. A true work of art.

Hope to have this on the road to visit a few midwest lakes this summer!

-------------

Date Posted: April-18-2017 at 5:44pm
Very nice Chris. I'm sure your dad will enjoy the ride he deserves.

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Posted By: bb12
Date Posted: April-18-2017 at 6:00pm
Beautiful boat! Just curious, but what kind of skin cancer did your dad have? I only ask because I had a bout with melanoma 4 years ago. I'm extra cautious about being in the sun now and wouldn't own a boat without a quality Bimini top.

-------------
1989 Ski Nautique 2001

Date Posted: April-18-2017 at 6:35pm
Looks great, Chris!

Date Posted: April-18-2017 at 6:59pm
Originally posted by bb12 bb12 wrote:

Beautiful boat! Just curious, but what kind of skin cancer did your dad have? I only ask because I had a bout with melanoma 4 years ago. I'm extra cautious about being in the sun now and wouldn't own a boat without a quality Bimini top.

Braden, dad had Melanoma as well. Initial diagnosis was a small spot on his face but ended up having a fairly significant surgery to remove several spots from his face and neck.

Needless to say, I didn't argue much when he started talking about a bimini. After seeing half his face cut open I decided he gets the final vote! Bimini stays up on the 01 most the summer as well.

-------------

Posted By: bb12
Date Posted: April-18-2017 at 11:21pm

Originally posted by bb12 bb12 wrote:

Braden, dad had Melanoma as well. Initial diagnosis was a small spot on his face but ended up having a fairly significant surgery to remove several spots from his face and neck.

Needless to say, I didn't argue much when he started talking about a bimini. After seeing half his face cut open I decided he gets the final vote! Bimini stays up on the 01 most the summer as well.

Chris, glad your dad is doing well. Melanoma sucks! Enjoy the boat this summer and keep that sunscreen flowing!! P.S. I'm a fan of Blue Lizard

-------------
1989 Ski Nautique 2001

Posted By: jimsport93
Date Posted: April-18-2017 at 11:32pm
That boat and cover are absolutely awesome!

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=2798 - 93 Sport Nautique

Print Page | Close Window