NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

I NEED A DIST. GEAR

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-24-2007 at 11:37am
Tim, I am not about to go there with you....
you had the fastest, the prettiest, the most money spent on exhaust, biggest stereo, best hole shot,the best prop,the most advanced ignition system you have it all Tim.
I had this Red and white junker that just barely got us to the sand bar, and you had a trailer that almost did not get you there.
Tim ,I strive to be more like you.Your a legend in your own mind.............
MarineSRT8 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarineSRT8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-24-2007 at 12:32pm
So Im guessing since no one has said anything, nobody is in possession of a bronze dist gear at this time...lol
"Some people go an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference. Marines don't have that problem"

-Pres. Ronald Reagan-

boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-24-2007 at 12:42pm
Marine, you catch on real quick.
I have an old Mallory with one but you are not using pre owned parts...........
Be carefull how you treat the janitor, for one day he could be your BOSS!!!!!!!
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-24-2007 at 12:59pm
Originally posted by boat dr boat dr wrote:

you had the fastest, the prettiest, the most money spent on exhaust, biggest stereo, best hole shot,the best prop,the most advanced ignition system you have it all Tim.

Doc, you must be thinking of Quinner's fancy toys- I dont have a stereo.

Im in need of a RH Ford starter for the Tique- you know if I can find one cheaper than SkiDIM? Ill give you a call this week.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-24-2007 at 2:36pm
MarineSrt8
Your not likely to find a reverse cut bronze gear, I have what you have which is an old distributor with a gear but its the stock gear which may be good enough depending on the camshaft manufacturers recommendation.   

Tim is right about me having a DUI, I have two, one in the 67 mustang and one in the 83 SN and they have yet to fail me I have about 250hrs on one and 50 now on the other. However Tim's assessment of my performance at GL was a little optimistic. I did run out pretty good against him, but couldn't get my boat to run for sh*t when I lined up with reidp and the doc the next day. Everyone knows I can't tune a boat to save my life so I tend to run a little inconsistant. Hell I couldn’t even get my stereo to sound right at GL.

There are a lot of ways to crack a nut, I like the DUI but there are some issues if your really trying to push the thing. They are not really helpful if you want to tune the thing yourself, I understand that their claim to fame is their smooth curve and for my closer to stock 302 that thing spun up and screamed out of the box, however on my less common stroker setup the curve they provided could use some work and they will do it for free but you have to loose the dist for a week or so for each iteration. The other thing I am running is I haven’t found a good way even with add on equipment to go back and forth between an N/A and a nitrous tune without actually turning the distributor. I have seen that there is a fuller race/tunable model referenced in some ford buildup mags but I did not get an answer as to whether one is available for marine apps last time I was on the phone.   

I need to talk to JR_Vic about all this one of these days he has a full Mac Daddy Performance Distributors setup on his boat …
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-24-2007 at 3:04pm
Originally posted by JoeinNY JoeinNY wrote:

MarineSrt8
Tim is right about me having a DUI, I have two, one in the 67 mustang and one in the 83 SN and they have yet to fail me I have about 250hrs on one and 50 now on the other. However Tim's assessment of my performance at GL was a little optimistic. I did run out pretty good against him, but couldn't get my boat to run for sh*t when I lined up with reidp and the doc the next day. Everyone knows I can't tune a boat to save my life so I tend to run a little inconsistent. Hell I couldn’t even get my stereo to sound right at GL.

Thank you for the replay of Green Lake....
If I remember correctly Reid and I were the only ones in the hunt Sunday.
Reid had me on top end by a couple of MPH.
Tim was either riding or setting in his ride and not on the race course,MM was there too, but not in the hunt.
Tim if Reid put you out of the hunt on Sat.on hole shot, and I put him down on the hole shot Sunday . Where does that put you?
But I am old and have an old boat so our memory is old too. Do not remember your version......
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-24-2007 at 3:22pm
Originally posted by boat dr boat dr wrote:

Tim was either riding or setting in his ride and not on the race course

Tim if Reid put you out of the hunt on Sat.on hole shot, and I put him down on the hole shot Sunday . Where does that put you?
But I am old and have an old boat so our memory is old too.

HW and I were footin behind my boat on Sun AM. We needed more bodies to really test the thing- we could have used you (on the end of a rope, that is)

Your memory must be old because Reid didnt put me out of the hunt on holeshot. I put a boatlength on him when I had 4 people and a full cooler aboard. Of course, once we hit 25MPH, he was gone.

...and yet another thread turned into a pissing match!
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-24-2007 at 3:38pm
Tim, I think you need to drop this in your '78 and bring it to GL next year.

http://www.fordcobraengines.com/347_400Carbureted.htm
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-24-2007 at 4:36pm
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

415hp in a 16' boat would be the hot ticket! Notice that this 347 has a HEI distributor
reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-24-2007 at 5:07pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

415hp in a 16' boat would be the hot ticket! Notice that this 347 has a HEI distributor

Sorry Tim, but I just paid the guy for it. And I'm installing a Mallory points dist in it just like I've got in my blue boat. (Imagine that, the fastest boat at GL still has points.) Just kidding about the 347 of course but I'm not yet sold on the benefits of the high volt ign systems in a 5000 rpm engine as it relates to HP, rpm, and speed. I wish I could at least try a hotter system and maybe experience some gain. Is it possible that your Prestolite was maybe hurting a little for you to have picked up 200 rpm? Can I assume that mine will pick up several hundred if I went first to an electronic, and then one step further to HEI? But no RR HEI available?

.....no pee coming outta me.   

What was this thread originally about?
ReidP
1973 Mustang

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-24-2007 at 5:24pm
Originally posted by reidp reidp wrote:

What was this thread originally about?

I have no idea...

To answer your question, yes, its possible my Prestolite was holding me back. The boat was underperforming when I bought it (41MPH @ 4200RPM), and unfortunately, I never got a chance to check the timing before my EI module quit. The DUI was its replacement. The Prestolite presumably had 1150+ hrs on it (like the rest of the boat), so there may have been worn components, and the timing could have been quite retarded. The boat started very easily.

I dont know if you could expect to see similar results if youre going from a well-tuned Prestolite/Mallory to the DUI. I do know that several of us (me, Joe, JR_VIC) saw some positive gains with the system. Thats not to say that a new Mallory wouldnt wouldnt perform nearly as well (although Alan might disagree, at least right out of the box). Whatever works, right?

To make the HEI work on a RR, just swap the gear over. Someone here has done it, though I forget who. Performancedistributors used to be able to source the gear, but cannot do so any longer. Not sure why.

Doc, thanks for sending that starter!
MarineSRT8 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarineSRT8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-24-2007 at 7:59pm
I talked to Mallory today and so far they are the only company that have that gear.
"Some people go an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference. Marines don't have that problem"

-Pres. Ronald Reagan-

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic