NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1968 Mustang upgrade prop

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
captinr View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote captinr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1968 Mustang upgrade prop
    Posted: September-04-2007 at 4:31pm
Without starting a long post and digging back through the archives, can somebody give me the condensed version of what replacement prop will fit my boat? It's a stock 289 2v. Looking for better performance and perhaps improved fuel economy.
Thanks as always
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2007 at 5:05pm
captin, 13 or 12 diameter,12 or 13 pitch.If I was guessing 12x13, as to performance and fuel mileage,you get one or the other.
This motor is a little low on HP now and you ain't gonna fool it. Going down on pitch will help the "Hole Shot" but gals. per hour will go up. Same goes for increasing pitch burn rate goes down but performance suffers.
It a give and take,if you can't afford the fuel you can't afford the boat. Just deal with it , good horses eat a lot of feed...............boat dr
reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-05-2007 at 12:38pm
Captain Rodney, What boat dr tried to say, but really didn't spell it out, was that a 12x13 prop will be your best bet, and was the prop that more than likely came on your boat originally. Another alternative would be a special cut-down Acme 540, reducing it from a 13"D to a 12", but keeping the same pitch. I would guess that to be your best seat-of-pants option, but also the most expensive. Funny how that works. But don't be talked into a standard 540 for your boat.     
ReidP
1973 Mustang

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic